Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Transylvania

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Transylvania
    Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 07:04

Anonymus (the author of Gesta Hungarorum) was confirmed by archaeologists.

A Christian cemetery from 8th (also 9th and 10th) century was discovered at Jucu, near Cluj, the area were Anonymus describes the presence of the duke Gelou, ruling over Wallachians and Slavs.

The 80 graves have been dated by a type of ear-rings which were not used more after 8th century.

A team of movie producer is making a documentary material which, if would reach the necesary standards, will be casted by National Geographic.

The discovery ocured due to the plans of Nokia for building a factory in that land.

http://www.expres.ro/article.php?artid=323402#

Edited by Menumorut - 20-Sep-2007 at 07:09
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 08:01
That archaeologist claims the Slavs were Christianized in 10th century?? Shocked
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 08:30
He is refering to the Slavs in the areas close, the Slavs from Galitzia.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 09:02
The conversation is actually the following:
R: When were the Slavs Christianized?
AD: The Slavs Christianized after 10th century. In Jucu necropolis there are no southern elements, of Bulgarian origin, thus we do not have any reason to believe it's about the same Slavs which Christianized after 10th century.

More over in the same article there's no word of Galicia whatsoever.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 12:14
The article is writen bad, like usualy, the Romanian journalists are hearing bad and confusses the centuries.

I confess that I have read other articles (especialy from Cluj newspapers) and the data is varying from one newspaper to another, so, on average it seems is about

-a cemetery whose history begin in 7th century and which in 8 century was Christian (80 graves) and which continuates to be used until 10th century
-the village of the necropolis, with huts of local tradition
-the lack of Southern elements

Lets put together with what we know from elder data:

-Christian elements of 4-7th century have been discovered in Transylvania. In 4-5th century they are of a character showing the eclesiastic tradition, in 7th century there are rudimentar crosses on pottery of Dacian tradition

-the group of Bratei, the biggest and most longevive community of 1st millenium AD Transylvania (4-9th century) disscovered so far, has some Christian characteristics. And Bratei is not very far of Jucu.

-for the end of the 9th century, we have the mention of Gelou, ruler of the Wallachians and Slavs.

Edited by Menumorut - 20-Sep-2007 at 12:19
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 12:24
The article may be badly written, but I'm quoting from the interview section, so it's reasonable to assume that's Alexandru Diaconescu's own wording.

I once said I do not want to discuss with you anymore Dark Age issues on Romanian territory and I have not changed my mind. I've simply pointed out a flawed premise in the "scholarly argument" of what this necropolis' significance is.
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 07:39
Originally posted by Menumorut

The article is writen bad, like usualy, the Romanian journalists are hearing bad and confusses the centuries.

I confess that I have read other articles (especialy from Cluj newspapers) and the data is varying from one newspaper to another, so, on average it seems is about

-a cemetery whose history begin in 7th century and which in 8 century was Christian (80 graves) and which continuates to be used until 10th century
-the village of the necropolis, with huts of local tradition
-the lack of Southern elements

Lets put together with what we know from elder data:

-Christian elements of 4-7th century have been discovered in Transylvania. In 4-5th century they are of a character showing the eclesiastic tradition, in 7th century there are rudimentar crosses on pottery of Dacian tradition

-the group of Bratei, the biggest and most longevive community of 1st millenium AD Transylvania (4-9th century) disscovered so far, has some Christian characteristics. And Bratei is not very far of Jucu.

-for the end of the 9th century, we have the mention of Gelou, ruler of the Wallachians and Slavs.

So the newspapers  are a little bit like the Gesta:-)) (Gelou was clearly the title and/or name) 1: of the hungarian rulers in Trans. between cc. 955-1003 - "Gyula", 2. The name of the pecheneg tribe next to East-Transylwania, in the later terr. of Moldva - "Jula".

Menumorut, I wrote some times before about the Seven castles builded(built?..so, in the past:-) by the hungarians (mentioned in the Pict.Chronic)who stayed in Transylwania after leaving Etelkz in the 890's.  MAYBE it ment the first 7 castle-counties of Trans.

Edited by Tar Szernd - 26-Sep-2007 at 09:20
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2007 at 20:28
So the newspapers are a little bit like the Gesta:-)) (Gelou was clearly the title and/or name) 1: of the hungarian rulers in Trans. between cc. 955-1003 - "Gyula", 2. The name of the pecheneg tribe next to East-Transylwania, in the later terr. of Moldva - "Jula".

Menumorut, I wrote some times before about the Seven castles builded(built?..so, in the past:-) by the hungarians (mentioned in the Pict.Chronic)who stayed in Transylwania after leaving Etelkz in the 890's. MAYBE it ment the first 7 castle-counties of Trans.

From press articles I learned that archaeologists are thinking that they could discover a church in the nearbies.

As for the name of Gelou, there are two posibilities:

1. the chroniclers used a generic word for designating the ruler of the Wallachians and Slavs in central Transylvania, using the word Gelou which is related in Turcik languages (Pecheneg, Hungarian if I'm not wrong) Gyalu, Gyla etc, all meaning ruler, chief.

2. It was actualy the name of that ruler, who was Wallachian but was having a name of Turcik origin having the same meaning as at point 1.

Is very signifiant that Anonymus says that the fortress of Gelou was Dabca and the archaeologists discovered in Dabca village a fortress dating from the time of Gelou (end of 9th century) which after the conquest was used by Hungarians until 14th century.

This fortress was so important that until 1918 an entire county beared its name, Solnoc-Dabca.

More photos at
http://www.rumaenienburgen.com/transilvania/dabaca-foto.htm

Inside the fortress is the foundation of a stone church which archaeologists believe it"s from 10th century but can be older.

What Anonymus says about Dabca and its archaeological discoveries has a paralell in what Anonymus says about Biharia, Menumorut's fortress and what archaeologists discovered there. Biharia has had a similar history, earth fortress in time of Menumorut, stone fortress after the Hungarian conquest and it gived the name to the today county of Bihor. Both names are Slav prooving their pre-Hungarian origin.

These kind of fortresses are characteristic for the regions peopled by Romanians in 8-10th centuries: Vladimiresti (Arad county), Fundu Hertii (Botosani county) and others I not remember (there are I think arround20 such fortresses from that period). They don't belong to Slavs of other people because they are the expression of a similar way of social organization, because the material culture, because they are in areas precedently inhabited by the makers of Ipotesti, Brateiu, Costisa-Botosana and other Daco-Roman cultures and because later in all these territories are attested the unions of Romanian communities leaded by kniases (do you remember what Rogerius is saying in Carmen Miserabile?)

Edited by Menumorut - 26-Sep-2007 at 22:33
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 18:57

According to Istvn Bna' essay Castles during the times os St. Stephen:

"Is very signifiant that Anonymus says that the fortress of Gelou was Dabca and the archaeologists discovered in Dabca village a fortress dating from the time of Gelou (end of 9th century) which after the conquest was used by Hungarians until 14th century. "

1. Well this statements highly questionable. This dating was refuted in the 70's by Istvn Bna and Pter Nmeth. (independently) Bna mentions that his reasoning was accepted by Pascu and his collaborators who worked on Dabaca/Doboka.

2. Anonymus as a soure completely unreliable in the question of castles:
The excavations in Alpr (1977) show Anonymus' methods of work. There was an ancient fortress from the bronse age which was notoriously existed before the Hungarian conquest. Anonymus conneted this fact with a 12th century motte and appointed this place as a famous Bulgar castle home of duke Salan and write a great battle to his work in this place.

3. Since written sources are not relible according to Bna we should concentrate of archeology in dating.

The Dabaca/Doboka castle was built in a casette/box structure. Its not a unique method. Zalaszentivn, -Kolozsvr/Cluj ??, Sopron, Moson, Abajvr, Szabolcsvr awere all built like this. It is clear that all this castles must be built in the same age by the same power. A rather great power not a local ruler a head of a clan were, since the building these fort was a large, expensive and long process need a lot of men. Naturally this building method appears outside the Carpathian Basin in Bohemia, Poland, Russia all in time of an emerging central power. In the end Bna concluded that these castles (Bna includes Dabaca/Doboka ) are the creation of the centralisation of St. Stephen. They are the castles of the ispns, the centres of megyes/counties.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 19:21
Originally posted by Menumorut

As for the name of Gelou, there are two posibilities:

1. the chroniclers used a generic word for designating the ruler of the Wallachians and Slavs in central Transylvania, using the word Gelou which is related in Turcik languages (Pecheneg, Hungarian if I'm not wrong) Gyalu, Gyla etc, all meaning ruler, chief.

2. It was actualy the name of that ruler, who was Wallachian but was having a name of Turcik origin having the same meaning as at point 1. 

(...) 

all these territories are attested the unions of Romanian communities leaded by kniases (do you remember what Rogerius is saying in Carmen Miserabile?)

1. Gelou:
There is an other possible origin of this name: As in many other cases Anonymus simply used a local toponym to create a local leader opposing the heroes of his gesta.

2. Rogerius mentions the abuses of canesii, the local collaborators appointed by the Mongols. He says no more.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 22:39
1. Well this statements highly questionable. This dating was refuted in the 70's by Istvn Bna and Pter Nmeth. (independently) Bna mentions that his reasoning was accepted by Pascu and his collaborators who worked on Dabaca/Doboka.

Such type of fortress (wich such plan) is characteristic for the earth fortresses. At the conquest of Transylvania, Hungarians didn't built castres but conquered the existing ones and used them.

Is a much to big coincidence that Anonymus speaks about the conquer of Dabca by Hungarians at the beginning of 10th century and a century later a fotress is the same area (Somes valley), with the same name and the same importance is found as a Hungarian castrum. Also, the similitudes with Biharia are almost perfect and at Biharia surely have been discovered important amenagements from the time of Menumorut.

I have copied the article on Dabca from The Encyclopedia of Ancient History and Archeology of Romania (1994-2000).

Look what is sayed:

Dabca, comune in Cluj county on whose territory there is a big fortification with earth waves, moats and traces of palisades (~15 ha) on the high terrace on the right of Lonea valley.

The ample researches initiated in 1964 are still in progress. The fortification, of a plan aproximatively triangular, consist of 4 concentric enceints. In its first period of existence, with two phases of construction dated from the end of 8th century until the beginning of 10th century, the waves and moats have delimitated on the top of the terrace four enceints: a) wide wave of ~5 meters preceded by berma (1,25 m) and moat 1,30 m deep, delimitating the enceinte I, of ~50 m lenght, replaced ulteriorly by a wave of double width than the first, preceded directly by a moat 3,25 m deep; b) 8 m wide wave with berma (2,50 m), preceded of 5 m wide and 1-1,5 m deep moat, delimitating the terrace III at ~230 m distance of the top of the terrace; c) 7 m wide and 2,54 m deep wave, delimitating the enceinte IV at ~600 m distance of the top of terrace... In the enceintes III and IV have been discovered semi-huts, surface dwellings from wood beams, provision pits, workshops (furnaces for the reduction of ores and smithies) which gives to the 9-10th century inhabitation the character of fortified locality. The oldest of the churches whose foundations have been discovered and studied at Dabca are not yet firmly dated; is possbile that they belong to 10th century. Most of the archaeological materials discovered at Dabca and dated from the end of 8th century to the beginning of the 10th century consist of pottery, at this being added metal pieces (spurs of Carolingian type gold plated) and jewel pieces (silver pandatives of Byzantine structure). It have been proposed the identification of the first etape of the fortification with the residence near Somes river of Gelou, the Romanian voivod of Transylvania in the first years of 10th century, atested in the chronicle of Anonymus (castrum suum iuxta fluvium Zomus positum). The ulterior development of the settlement from Dabca, in the time of the extension of the Hungarian domination over Transzlvania and when here have been installed the center of the comitate with the same name, is atested bz the writen sources (1068 - in urbem Dobuka).

I remember too to have seen reproduction of 8-9th century type of pottery from Dabca which surely are belonging to that period. It was of Dridu type.

2. Anonymus as a soure completely unreliable in the question of castles:
The excavations in Alpr (1977) show Anonymus' methods of work. There was an ancient fortress from the bronse age which was notoriously existed before the Hungarian conquest. Anonymus conneted this fact with a 12th century motte and appointed this place as a famous Bulgar castle home of duke Salan and write a great battle to his work in this place.

Is not a rule. At Biharia and Dabca, Anonymus was right, they were inhabited at the time of Hungarian arrival and they were the centers of two large voivodates.

3. Since written sources are not relible according to Bna we should concentrate of archeology in dating.

The chronicle of Anonymus is to specific to be entirely unrealist.

The Dabaca/Doboka castle was built in a casette/box structure. Its not a unique method. Zalaszentivn, -Kolozsvr/Cluj ??, Sopron, Moson, Abajvr, Szabolcsvr awere all built like this. It is clear that all this castles must be built in the same age by the same power.

I don't understand what means casette structure. And why do you believe that they have been founded by the Hungarian rulers? They could be built by the populations preceding the coming of Hungarians and the Hungarians only conquering them.

The fortresses built in that epoch by recently sedentarized peoples or by conquerors I think were made of wood, not of earth.

A rather great power not a local ruler a head of a clan were, since the building these fort was a large, expensive and long process need a lot of men. Naturally this building method appears outside the Carpathian Basin in Bohemia, Poland, Russia all in time of an emerging central power.

Correct. But in the case of Transylvania, the process was stopped by the Hungarian invasion. The fortresses at Dabca at Biharia could hve been under the Bulgar rule. And you should know that Menumorut answer "with a Bulgar heart" to the Hungarian leader. That doesn't mean indispensably he was Bulgar but that he was vasal of Bulgar empire. He too says is vasal of the Byzantine emperor and that his ancestors fighted against the invasion of Atilla. This proves that his ethnic self-conscience was actualy Romanian.

In the end Bna concluded that these castles (Bna includes Dabaca/Doboka ) are the creation of the centralisation of St. Stephen. They are the castles of the ispns, the centres of megyes/counties.

Dabca and Biharia doesn't start to exist in 10th century.

1. Gelou:
There is an other possible origin of this name: As in many other cases Anonymus simply used a local toponym to create a local leader opposing the heroes of his gesta.

2. Rogerius mentions the abuses of canesii, the local collaborators appointed by the Mongols. He says no more.

1. Possible.

2. The canesii are not mentioned only in that context. There are several mentions of them:

contituerunt canesios id est balivios, qui justitiam facerent...et erant canesii fere centum... Conveniebant canesii pene qualibet septimana...Elegi igitur potius cum ipsis canesiis ad exercitum ire...Canesii vero ad recipienda munera acceserunt

These canesii surely are the Romanian knyases known from 14-15th century in other regions. Hungarians or Slavs were not organized in knyesates. So, the population of central Transylvania was in 13th century (because Rogerius doesn't describe an isolated case) entirely Romanian.

Edited by Menumorut - 29-Sep-2007 at 06:47
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 20:05
Hali!

I searched for one of my prev. answers here (didn't found, maybe it is in the Szekler topic), I didn't want to write down it again:-). So the main point was that maybe some thousends of walach sheepers could live under bulgar rule in the time of the hung. conquest in Transylwania, but clearly without any higher organized level.   -

and:

- wich could eventually aroused the interest of the geographic writers (easter roman, arabian) of the time. (below)

Other point of my opinion:

-Romanians: in Trans. living descendants of antic roman colonists and dacians

- without mentioned in byzantian scripts of the that time (for ex. 600-900) in the territory. Actually the east romans could had been proud on the norther broders who fighted brave against the barbars, when the well informed scriptors (f.e. one of the imperors) would had ever heard about them (not even about one of the "3" knez terr.). Maybe at that time most of them were part of theinhabitants of the Imperium , and made transhumating wanderings in the Balkan, moving to the north.

Konstantinos Porphyrogenetos: DAI  (cc. 948-952)

40.  About the tribes of the kabars and the turks

"...There are on ththis place some antient relicts: the first, next to Turcia, the bridge of  emperor Traianus, and after 3 days journey, Belgrad, opposit to the tower of Const. the Greath, and two days j. far away from Belgrad by the riverbend the so called Sirmium, and beyon that the unchristianized Greath Moravia, wich was destroyed by the turks, wich was ruled by Svatopluk before.
In the near of the turks in there are the bulgars on the east, whit the river Istros between them as a border, wich is called Danube, too, there are the pechenegs in the north, in the west the franks, in the south the croats. ..."

42. Discr. of the lands from Thessalonike to the river Danube and the city of Belgrad, of Turkia and Pecheneg land to the khazarian fortess, Sarkel and to Russia

"..The turks are living behind the Danube, on the moravian lands and beyond it, too, and between the Danube and Sava, too. On the lower Danobe, opposit to Distra there is the land of the pechenegs, their homeland ends by Sarkel..."

And no walachs, romanians, dacians, blachs (and cert. no state-like org-s of them) in the arabic (and horezmian etc) works about the territory.

No ment. in the work of Masudi (died in 956), just four turcic nations...and greeks in Belgrad -from the years 932-944.

No infos in the works of Ibn Rusta, Gardzi, Jayhani(the time about 870, he wrote about the pechenegs, the hungarians, chaucasian serirs and alans, about the burtas people, about the khazars, volga bulgars, slavs, russians, danube bulgars and moravians).

(About the ancestors and conquest of the hungarians, Gyrgy Győrffy, Budapest, 2002 Osiris. Source-collection)

TSZ

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 22:23
without mentioned in byzantian scripts of the that time (for ex. 600-900) in the territory. Actually the east romans could had been proud on the norther broders who fighted brave against the barbars, when the well informed scriptors (f.e. one of the imperors) would had ever heard about them (not even about one of the "3" knez terr.). Maybe at that time most of them were part of theinhabitants of the Imperium , and made transhumating wanderings in the Balkan, moving to the north.

The Daco-Romans were scattered population, peaceful (there are not weapons in their graves and villages).

Their material culture shows that they evolved separated from the South of Danube, they preserved forms of pottery from the "Classic" Roman period, while South of Danube the material culture and traditions was already Romano-Byzantine, signifiantly different to the Classic Roman period.

Look 5th century pottery from Soporu de Cmpie, near Cluj, a village were in 2-3rd centuries AD was the most important (discovered till now) Dacian community from the Roman province of Dacia.

And look 4-6th century pottery from Gropsani, in Oltenia:

Daco-Romans were mainly agricultors, this is what archeologists have found.

Konstantinos Porphyrogenetos: DAI (cc. 948-952)

40. About the tribes of the kabars and the turks

"...There are on ththis place some antient relicts: the first, next to Turcia, the bridge of emperor Traianus, and after 3 days journey, Belgrad, opposit to the tower of Const. the Greath, and two days j. far away from Belgrad by the riverbend the so called Sirmium, and beyon that the unchristianized Greath Moravia, wich was destroyed by the turks, wich was ruled by Svatopluk before.
In the near of the turks in there are the bulgars on the east, whit the river Istros between them as a border, wich is called Danube, too, there are the pechenegs in the north, in the west the franks, in the south the croats. ..."

There are described the rulers of these territories, not the inhabiting population. The territory ruled by Pechenegs was vaste, as Constantine too says in De Administratio Imperio:

This doesn't mean that in all this territory only Pechenegs were the inhabitants. Actualy, Pechenegs were an insignifiant minority in all the territory ruled by them, they were groups of warriors placed in the "capitals" of their khaganate but most population was not Pecheneg: Slavs in the area of today Ukraine, Romanians in Moldavia and Muntenia etc.

And no walachs, romanians, dacians, blachs (and cert. no state-like org-s of them) in the arabic (and horezmian etc) works about the territory.

So, you are not sure, one time you say no Romanians, then say certainly no state organization.

I think you should read again (or read for the first time) these points from Wikipedia:

In 545, Procopius mentions "the trick played by an Ant (a Slav or Alan from present-day Moldavia) who is supposed to have passed himself off as a Byzantine General by speaking a form of Latin which he had learned in these regions."

An ancient letter from one Emmerich of Elwangen to Grimaldus, abbot of St. Gall, written about 860 mention Vlachs, under the name of Dacians, living north of Danube together with Germans, Sarmatians, and Alans;

and "the World Chronicle of 1277, referring to the ninth century," possibly mistakens these Dacians for Wallachians.

The World Chronicle of Jansen Enikel, written in Vienna in 1277, mentions Charlemagne going on a campaign in the east (around 8th century) and met with Wallachians.

Nestor's Chronicle, (Kiev, 1097-1110), relating events from 862 to 1110, mentions Wallachians attacking and subduing the Slavs north of Danube and settling among them.

The Descriptio Europ Orientalis, which was written by a French monk in 1308, discovered in the Paris Library in 1913, mention ten Vlach kings that were defeated by the Hungarians of Arpad.

and Weltchronik of Rudolph von Ems, written circa 1250, mention Vlachs living in Pannonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_Romanians

No ment. in the work of Masudi (died in 956), just four turcic nations...and greeks in Belgrad -from the years 932-944.

No infos in the works of Ibn Rusta, Gardzi, Jayhani(the time about 870, he wrote about the pechenegs, the hungarians, chaucasian serirs and alans, about the burtas people, about the khazars, volga bulgars, slavs, russians, danube bulgars and moravians).

I'm wondering why you don't quote some Chinese chronicler.

Anyway, how do you explain the fact Balkanic Vlachs too are not mentioned in documents until 10th century?

Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 09:08
I'm "not shure":  The meaning of that sentence of mine: I searched for all of these names/or maybe states, without any maching found.

The letter of Emericus is a wunderfull description of the population in the 2-3. Century AD.

(F.e. Jordenes in his Goethica wrote that the gots were the getas, only based on the fact that the goths lived in Trans. (and on the terr. of Muntinia and Moesia too)

Shure they were living in Hungary in 1250, there were walach warriors in king Belas army in 1260 (the only mentioned case). (the 1. ment. of them in Hung. was somewhere in the beginning of the 12. cent.)

About the mil. campaigns of Charlemagne: he attacked the avarian state only in 791 in person. (and mb. in 803?) (Conversio Bagoarium, and: he hadn't reached even the deepland...so he met maybe only people living the blach lifestyle.

It is sad that the Nestor Ch. didn't mention the direction:-)

DEO: The Gesta was writen in the 12-13. Century, and surely it was copied many times; Anonymus is known as a writer in french style, (maybe he learned there too) so the connection is clear.

I wrote down the infos from the muslim writers who had written about this territory.

And: sure they mentioned other inhabitants, not just the rulers.

F.e. survived avars in Dalmatia in the DAI:

"...After they fought eachother for some years, the croats got the upper hand, they masacred one part of the avars, and the other part yielded( I hope I write it correct:-). After this time this territory came under croatian rule, but there are still living some people from these avars, and you can recognize (or: "you can see"), that they are avars...."

TSZ

Edited by Tar Szernd - 09-Oct-2007 at 09:09
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 00:58

About the Romanized population in Pannonia during the early midle age (late Roman and during the Avar occupation):

Keszthely culture

The Keszthely culture was created by the romanized pannonians in the VI, VII and VIII centuries around the fortified village of "Castellum" (now Keszthely), near the lake Balaton in now western Hungary.

This culture flourished under the Avars domination of Pannonia, as the artisan center of artifacts (mainly of gold) in the area.
Only a few thousands romanized pannonians survived the onslaughts, mainly around the lake Pelso (now lake Balaton) in small fortified villages like Keszthely.

The Romanic population from Pannonia created the Keszthely culture that evolved mainly during the 6th-7th centuries. Its artefacts were made in the workshops of Roman origin located mainly in the fortified settlements of Keszthely-Fenkpuszta and Sopianae (actual Pcs). The Romanic craftsmen worked for their masters (Gepidae and Avars).

Under the Avars the roman castle of Fenkpuszta near Keszthely and the surroundings were not occupied so the original romanized inhabitants lived on undisturbed. They paid food and artisan goods for peace from the Avars. After 568 new Christian romanized pannonians arrived here, probably from the destroyed Aquincum (actual Budapest). The Keszthely-Fenkpuszta fortress became the centre of a 30 km diameter area, where the people buried their dead adorned with jewellery and clothing of Byzantine origin. They rebuilt the fortress Basilica, where the principals of the community were buried, while their relatives found their final resting places next to the nearby "horreum" (granary).
Aerial photography: Gorsium - Herculia (Tc, Hungary), an urban center of the Keszthely culture

Aerial photography: Gorsium - Herculia (Tc, Hungary), an urban center of the Keszthely culture

In 626 the Avars were seriously defeated under Constantinople, which was followed by a civil war. The leaders of the Keszthely-Fenkpuszta community had supported those who were later defeated. That was why the Avars besieged and then destroyed the fortress of Fenkpuszta. They made the rest of the romanized population move into the territory of the town centre. The Christian romanized population got under military suppression. The cemeteries in the 7th and the 8th centuries entombed both Avars and Christians, but they were buried separately. The different religions did not allow them to mix even after death. The Christian romanized populations, who spoke their own romance pannonian language, cut from the outer world created a unique, characteristic material culture, which we know from the findings of the cemeteries near Keszthely. These findings got called the Keszthely culture. At that time, Keszthely was the center of the pannonian region because the Balaton's area was crossed by roads connecting the Danube and the Mediterranean.

At the end of the 8th century under the reign of Charlemagne, the Francs overthrew the Avar Empire and they invaded the pannonian plains. The Christian romanized populations living around Keszthely quickly took over the western Christian customs, which among others meant that they buried their dead without grove furniture so now it is impossible to identify them. The Fenkpuszta fortress was repaired again in the 9th century. Its walls accommodated and gave shelter to the descendants of the Avars and the southern Slavic people who had migrated in at the beginning of the century. Their cemeteries kept quite a lot of the pagan customs. The 10th century was the darkest period of Keszthely's history. Neither traces of the survival of the earlier romanized pannonian population nor of the conquering Hungarians are known to us.

Handicrafts

By the end of the 6th century we find the romanized population mainly in the row cemeteries that were newly laid out in the area of the late-roman fortresses of Keszthely (Castellum) and of Pcs (Sopianae) (southwestern Hungary). During the Avars, there also will have been romanized and byzantine people arriving from the Balkans, and they helped develop a community of rich artisans. These probably Christian communities preserved or renewed their artistic relations with the romanised population of the Mediterranean.

Romance language groups in the Balkan peninsula. In blue the extinct Romance Pannonian language, centered around the "Keszthely culture"

The characteristic costume of their women includes earrings with basket-shaped pendants, disc brooches with early Christian motifs, and dress-pins. The early Christian symbols include crosses, bird-shaped brooches and pins decorated with bird figures (one bird-shaped brooch bears an incised cross). The romanized population of Pannonia in general became Avarized, and only in the close vicinity of Keszthely can their island of Late-Antique culture be traced, where their traditional costume was worn until the beginning of the 9th century.

Language

The name of the settlement Keszthely may mean a continuity, which can be traced back to the Latin "castellum" (castle).

The linguists Magdearu Alexandru (in Romnii n opera Notarului Anonim) and Julius Pokornyin (in Indogermanisches Etymologisches Worterbuch) write that the word "kestei" (as is pronuncied in humgarian Keszthely) is similar to the venetian/istrian word "caestei", meaning castle, and it is one of the few surviving words from the extinct romance pannonian language.

This extinct language of the romanized pannonians has given many toponyms to the area around the lake Balaton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keszthely_culture

The data about Blachi in the Hungarian chronicles have a pair in the Russian Primary Chronicle, where the name Volohi is present in four passages. M. Gyni remarked that the data about the Volohi were borrowed from a Slavonic text written in Moravia in the 9th-10th century.

The church organization was preserved until the 6th century, but the Christendom survived in popular forms. The Franks found in 796 a Christian population in Pannonia, which had clerici illiterati, i.e. without instruction. The Christians from Pannonia lost the church hierarchy during the Avar domination. In the 9th century began the christianization of the Slavs. This led to the final assimilation of the Romanic people, who were very few in comparison with the Slavs. The local Romanic population of Pannonia disappeared in the 9th-10th centuries. It was a different Romanic people than the Romanians.

Ch. 3. The Romanians in Pannonia

We saw that Pannonia was not part of the Romanian space. The possible presence of Romanians should be explained by migrations. N. Drăganu gathered many placenames of supposed Romanian origin from the Hungarian medieval documents. In some cases he was wrong, but there are enough place and person names attested in sources from 11th-14th centuries that could be considered of Romanian origin. Few examples: Bereve, de genere Negul (1247) in County Baranya, Chobanka (village near Buda, in 1267), villa Vlach (1275, County Valko).

The Romanians arrived in Hungary as shepherds from Transylvania but also from the region between the Timoc and the Morava. Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia had an important Romanian population in the Middle Ages, later Slavized. The Romanians spread from the South-Danubian part of the Romanian area. This explains the presence of Romanians in Hungary. A migration from the Timoc area into Pannonia is attested in 818. It could be supposed that also Romanians were involved. This could explain the presence of Romanians in Pannonia since the 9th century, as a different population than the remnants of the local Romanic people. Therefore, GH recorded a truthful information inserted into a legendary story about the Hungarian conquest. It should be observed that the tradition preserved by the Hungarian chronicles makes confusion between the local Romanic people of Pannonia and the Romanians.

http://www.geocities.com/amadgearu/notary.htm

And: sure they mentioned other inhabitants, not just the rulers.

Arguments? Do you believe that the pechenegs were the only inhabitants of Southern Romania?

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 06:48
Originally posted by Raider

Anyhow emperor Constantine Porphyrogenetos used the name vojevoda to the Hungarian tribal leaders, he might be heard that the Transylvanian slavs used this name to their Hungarian Lords.

What was the Greek or Latin equivalent that Constantine VII used for the native designation vojevoda?  I am wondering if he was thinking of the designation in terms of what he thought was a comparable Byzantine institution or office, or if perhaps he understood it in the context of its native usage in Transylvania?

Chilbudios mentions that the author Brezeanu has Constantine referring to local warlords as duci, but that this term is not related to the vojevoda.

Originally posted by Chilbudios

- Written sources: In 10th century we have the testimony of Constantine Porphyrogenitus which says that between Tourkia and Patzinakia there's a 4 days journey. That suggests an uncontrolled Transylvania (not by Magyars, Pechenegs or other political power known/relevant to Byzantines).

Constantine VII strikes me as being an eccentric scholar-type.  For a Byzantine that usually meant one of two things.  One, that he was a prolific "compiler," in that he accumulated many different accounts on a subject and produced an encyclopedia of sorts that was admired for its style over its content.  The more that his own writing was indistinguishable from an ancient writer the better.  Constantine VII probably wanted to produce work in an artistic literary style and spent hours shut up in the palace doing this. 

Two, he was actually interested in representing reality in his writing and concentrated on this more than style.  Constantine VII's De Administrando Imperio seems to be a handbook of sorts with a practical purpose - to instruct his successors in dealing with neighboring peoples.  He might have received most of the information from his own agents, who had been to these places and seen the people.  On the other hand, parts of it might have come from ancient accounts.

Now, to get to my point (sorry for the lengthiness LOL).  I am assuming that "between Tourkia and Patzinakia there's a 4 days journey" is from the De Administrando.  Did he or his agents believe that this area was terrae desertae (borrowing a term mentioned earlier) in the sense that it was uninhabited or wilderness, or was it administered by local warlords whom the Byzantines did not know of or care about?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 07:36
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

What was the Greek or Latin equivalent that Constantine VII used for the native designation vojevoda?  I am wondering if he was thinking of the designation in terms of what he thought was a comparable Byzantine institution or office, or if perhaps he understood it in the context of its native usage in Transylvania?

Chilbudios mentions that the author Brezeanu has Constantine referring to local warlords as duci, but that this term is not related to the vojevoda.
I think I was referring to Anonymous, the Hungarian notary, not Constantine. In De Administrando Imperio, 38 the Greek term is "voevodos".

Constantine VII strikes me as being an eccentric scholar-type.  For a Byzantine that usually meant one of two things.  One, that he was a prolific "compiler," in that he accumulated many different accounts on a subject and produced an encyclopedia of sorts that was admired for its style over its content.  The more that his own writing was indistinguishable from an ancient writer the better.  Constantine VII probably wanted to produce work in an artistic literary style and spent hours shut up in the palace doing this. 

Two, he was actually interested in representing reality in his writing and concentrated on this more than style.  Constantine VII's De Administrando Imperio seems to be a handbook of sorts with a practical purpose - to instruct his successors in dealing with neighboring peoples.  He might have received most of the information from his own agents, who had been to these places and seen the people.  On the other hand, parts of it might have come from ancient accounts.
IIRC, De Administrando Imperio was dedicated to Constantine's son, Romanos (which also followed him as emperor), thus your observation seems correct - it had a practical purpose. Also, though obviously a man of his literacy would have consulted the ancient Greek and Roman accounts, his work was also well-anchored in the realities of the 10th century as the parallels with the Muslim geographers prove. For instance, the eight Pecheneg clans described by al Mas'udi have perfect correspondence with Constantine's eight Pecheneg themata (provinces): Ertem, Tzur, Gyla, Culpee, Charoboe, Talmat, Chopon and Tzopon (DAI 37).

Now, to get to my point (sorry for the lengthiness LOL).  I am assuming that "between Tourkia and Patzinakia there's a 4 days journey" is from the De Administrando.  Did he or his agents believe that this area was terrae desertae (borrowing a term mentioned earlier) in the sense that it was uninhabited or wilderness, or was it administered by local warlords whom the Byzantines did not know of or care about?
Yes, that information is from DAI 37 where it places geographically Patzinakia as following: 5 days from Uzia and Chazaria, 6 days from Alania, 10 days from Mordia, 1 day from Russia (Rosia), 4 days from Hungaria (Tourkia), half a day from Bulgaria. AFAIK DAI does not say anything about the places between Tourkia and Patzinakia, so we can only guess what he thought of the places between. The archaeology shows it was a populated area, but we do not know certainly by whom.

Edited by Chilbudios - 10-Oct-2007 at 07:38
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 09:47
Menumorut: certenly I know about the romanized/and roman population in Pannonia in the early middle ages, and the meanings of the name "blach " was discused often enough in other topics, too.

Do you know an other meaning for "F. e." (for exemple)? (with such questions of you this would be a death dispute)

Constantinus wrote about the (not ruling population) avars in Dalmatia, you probably know, the avars were "externimated" by Krum's bulgarians. I think, if the emperor had any knowlidge about any communites of your favourite population in the East-Charpatians, he would had writen about them.

TSZ

Edited by Tar Szernd - 10-Oct-2007 at 12:28
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 13:14

What you want say with that F.e.?

About Constantine: I cann't discuss on your descriptions of the documents. Give me the text. For now, I can say that you speak about Bulgarians who exterminated Avars. Do Constantine mention Vlachs?

Is explainable that he was having more information about the territories of the empire or neighbour with the empire and for the far lands he was knowing only about the rulers. I repeat that the Daco-Roman and then proto-Romanian population was scarced, rudimentar, not like in Galia-France, Italy, Hispania etc.

You still assert that there was not a romanized population in Dacia but I gived you the explanations about the character of the Romanian language, which has such differences in the Latin origin fund from region to region that it couldn't be result of one migration or several migrations, because the linguistic groups from Romania are different from linguistic groups from Balkans: Aromanians and Romance Dalmats.

Also the archaeological discoveries shows a population preserving Dacian and Roman traditions not as a borrowing (as wee see, F.e., Goths borrowing Dacian and Roman form of pottery and Slavs borroing some Roman type of pottery).

I'm adding something more: how do you explain that the population from Dacia was Christianized, in the sense of a popular Christianism, not eclesiastic?

And another idea: if in Pannonia, which was such less naturaly defended, the romanized population survived until late, how do you explain that the descendants of the Dacians have vanished, when they were living in such a mountainous, valley fragmented and forsted territory?

Edited by Menumorut - 10-Oct-2007 at 14:45

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 18:01

A new discovery in Cluj county.

Right in the main square of the Dej city was discovered a cemetery from the period of migrations.

The signs is that is a Christian cemetery.

The archaeologists had received indications to not divulge information to press.

http://ziuadecluj.eu/action/article?ID=3819

Edited by Menumorut - 15-Oct-2007 at 18:05

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>