Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of swastika

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of swastika
    Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 18:51
I have always been interested to know where the swastika originated from. I know its an ancient Indo-European symbol for good luck and fortune. It seems that the Samnites used it a lot in their armors too. Any knows more about this?

Here's a screenshot i took off my Roman army and the swastikas clearly show in their shields.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 19:05
In Iranian culture it is the arms of Mithra (which could explain its appearance in among Romans).  Its origins are obscure, but I believe the oldest svastika relics are found in the Iranian/Armenian plateau.

Edited by Zagros
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 05:50

Swastika was a common design in Greece as well, it was a sign of good luck.

painting the painter Andokides, ca. 525 BCE. In Greek it was called "tetraskelion" (four legs)

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 06:32
The swastika is the most spread symbol, used virtually by everyone. It's origin will never be known. Don't quote me, but I believe the oldest one is in India.

The swastika was very popular in Scandinavia, put on runestones and carved on doors for protection and good luck, and iirc that's the reason Hitler stole it for his purposes, being a nut about ancient Scandinavia.

Up till the Nazis, the swastika was still used as a good symbol. For example, the large Swedish electronics company ASEA (now Swedo-Swiss ABB), which among other things introduced the three-phase system used a swastika until 1933, when they changed it due to the Nazis.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 07:55
I'm sure it it's not exlcusively indo-European:

Basque Lauburu

old flag of Finland (in the upper left corner)

Japan

Native American

In many cultures the swastika symbolized the sun.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 08:01
The most ancient Swastikas have been discovered in Susa.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 08:18
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

old flag of Finland (in the upper left corner)

Actually, that's the current presidential standard. The cross in the canton is the Grand Master Cross of the Order of the Cross of Freedom. I believe they got the swastika from the Swedish count who donated the first planes to the Finns, creating their airforce. He used a swastika as his coat of arms. Dunno if the Finns used it earlier.

Native Americans used it as well, so it's truelly a global symbol. edit: doh, I should've read the rest of your post.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 14:10
I'm sorry, but I've had negative responses when I might ask questions, saying "use your initiative" etc., yet no-one has mentioned Wikipedia (dunno why): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Yes the swastika was used in pre-Christian Finland, by the name of mursunsydn, meaning "heart of a walrus"(dunno why on this on either ). It was a symbol of the fertility aspect of Ukko, the main god in the Finnish pantheon. It was adopted from the Germanic Fylfot (along with the god Ukko).
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 14:32
vulkan, is that your screenshot.. you use green highlighters?

This is a interesting picture of a card I found along time ago, it is from a deck produced in the US in 1907 before the Nazis corrupted this symbol.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 14:38
green highlighters are the default aren't they? mine are green.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 15:04
Yes, but I think they are ugly and units already highlight when clicked. Change 'DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS' in your preferences to "TRUE" if you dont like them.
...sorry non-total warers.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 16:15

I think that among the oldest lauburus (svastikas for its Indian name), are in Samarra pottery of Neolithic/Calcolithic Iraq and, much earlier, in Paleolithic Ukraine.

I personally think that, like the cross (earliest found in Tell Halaf) it symbolizes the 4 corners of the universe, the four stations, the four elements... but in the cross is represented in a static form, while in the lauburu it is in the dynamic form: the universe in action.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 16:30
I do believe it's originally a sun symbol.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 18:00
Hmm wasn't the sun symbol the cross in a circle?
Arrrgh!!"
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 21:12
Originally posted by cattus

vulkan, is that your screenshot.. you use green highlighters?

This is a interesting picture of a card I found along time ago, it is from a deck produced in the US in 1907 before the Nazis corrupted this symbol.

hmm yeah its a screenshot from Rome:TW the green shows up because i clicked on the unit of soldiers thats why. Thanks for the info though.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 02:59
Well the Swastika was used in the 'Vinca script' dated 6th-4th millenium :

Here's a pic of the guardrail at the Academy in Athens which was built in the  1880's..

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 03:24
Ah good one, im sure Ive seen these before. The Academy near Kolonaki?
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 03:47
Yup!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 04:42
A similar guardrail is used at the old Ministry of Culture..

I noticed that some are made as if they turn clock-wise, like the one in the 'Vinca script and the  Native American pic, Finland flag and others as if they turn counter clock-wise as in Yiannis' ancient Hellinic painting, the guardrail..etc.
What's the story with that??
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 10:48
Alot of the European ones turn clockwise, because they are based on the Gamadian cross (made from 4 Greek gammas).
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>