Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst armies in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst armies in history
    Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:33
I would say that Polish army in the 18th century hit the bottom. Small, unpayed, underequipped.
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 23:05
Children's Army(Crusades), since their made of children.

Edited by Omnipotence
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 14:17
Hard to top that one... As far as the adults are concerned I would say that the current Italian army has got to be one of the weakest of all time...

Edited by dirtnap
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 20:53

Can you even consider the Gallic army an army? They were essentially just all of the able-bodied men in that particular tribe. I do not really consider barbarian hordes of this kind to be an actual army.

Those savage brutes actually conquered Rome in 387 BC and forced the city to pay a big ransom.

Children's Army(Crusades), since their made of children.

They were all sold to slavery before they had the chance to fight, so neh.

Grrr..
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 22:41
Women's Auxuillary Balloon Corp, for all of you who watch Blackadder
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Texas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 01:03
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Bad choice of words on my part:  Read "Exhaustion of morale."  Europe has demonstrated recently that the EU has neither the capacity nor the will to defend it's interests.  With some exceptions, I think this is true of many of the individual states as well.

I think what you are describing is the fact Europe nolonger has a central purpose, a strong fixed ideology and the resolve to carry it out.

If so I would agree. Europe has become a society of intellectuals akin to a conference of philosophy professors. Each giving their own analysis, then doubting them and agreeing they might be wrong and the conference coming to a final conclusion of inconclusive reserved judgement on everything except that another conference need be organised for further discussion.

We could contrast this with neo-conservatives who have a single concise and simplistic analysis, a strong conviction they are right and all other views wrong and a determination to push their view to the front without much concern for stepped on toes.

I think to some parts of the outside world, perception of this can be it's fatigue and a lack of morale, the result of two world wars.

But the way it tends to be perceived within Europe is that it's the result of enlightenment gained from a futile colonial past. I think your original description an exaustion of morals, not morale, better describe present Europe.

I simply don't share a neo-conservative bunker mentality and reguard the world as a place to look around for potential enemies, I don't see China as a threat, India as a potential future threat more future and current friends. 

so the chinese general a few weeks ago threatening to Nuke the USA isnt a reason look as china as an enemy???????????????????

Europe probably is exhausted of morals...... but morals are a terrifying and thing for a powerful country to have.

MORALS such as  to save BERLIN during the blockade, such to come and save Europe during 2 World WARS, to rebuild western europe after WWII, to protect Western Europe from the Soviet Union, to send our miltary to help SE Asia after the typhoon, standing TALL when u are right rather bending with the wind and looking to make a buck (see EU) -------------------------I will take Morals   

Edited by Texas
Texas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 01:15
worst army of all times ----------- Mexican Army during Mexican/American War
Menander View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Menander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 01:40
Worst army of all time...of the modern period I'd say its probably an obscure state in Africa torn apart by rebellion and racked by disease and famine.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." -Siddhartha Gautama
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 20:19

Originally posted by Zagros

The French army during the same period.

You son of a dirty b****, whatever the french army had, your Tcheque army was always crappier to it. So have a big glass of STFU you tomfool.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 20:24
Originally posted by Zagros

Originally posted by Paul

Hardly, French army was excellent during the later half of the 19th century, had  a bad time in the middle of wwi but remember Verdun and Marne. Was crap admitedly during wwii but for the last 20 years or so arguably the finest army in the world. It's Rapid Reaction force , the most elite fighting force on earth and it's mobile capabilities not just the envy of NATO but beyond the capabilities of any other country in the world to organise.

Who loses almost three wars to the Germans in the space of 50 years?

My suggestion is the Scottish Army 73,000 BC to present day.

What? There has been no Scottish army since 1707.  The Scottish regiments have a proud and victorious history, Scotland has always given more than its fair share of men to colonial and world wars.

Hey ignoant boy France won WWI, the ultimate victor, France was actually a victor of WW2 also, and it was the German that was ultimately defeated. the germans were out b!tch for nearly 1000 years just as it is now.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 21:03

The French by no means had the worst armies. They made significant blunders as most nations had at some time in the past.  WWII at the Maginot Line is one of those miscalculations. Franks and the French had many impressive victories lets not forget.

*I do believe some of you could tone it down. Perhaps with a good glass of your favorite beverage.

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 21:21
Originally posted by Seko

The French by no means had the worst armies. They made significant blunders as most nations had at some time in the past.  WWII at the Maginot Line is one of those miscalculations. Franks and the French had many impressive victories lets not forget.

*I do believe some of you could tone it down. Perhaps with a good glass of your favorite beverage.

I'm sorry but this guy is spreading lies about France simply because he have been reading too much Yankee lies about France, and this guy is a czech, a country of no importance whatsoever militarily speaking. This individual is very despicable in the sensethat he insulting France by his ignorance, disinformation and willingness to listen to ignorant people and their propaganda.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 21:25

You are correct in the sense that there is a wave of anti French sentiment in the USA. Hopefully, you two could come to better terms with regards to your objections.

By the way, which member are you talking about?

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 22:05

I always wondered where you were from Quetzalcoatl. Why do you have yourself down as Jamaican and not French? Or am I missing something?

Anyways Something else needs to be cleared up, and thats about the Gauls. Like Demon said a Gallic army did take Rome, and on many occasions gave Rome a run for their money. They were great warriors, and some of the best metal workers. Infact Chain mail was designed and made from them as was the helmets the Romans used. They were also known for building a couple stone forts.

The Gauls weren't Savages or barbarians as much as the Romans would have liked you to believe, and that pretty much goes for all those considered Barbariac. They were just not a unified force like the civilizations that were around the Mediterranean. The Romans did always fear them though, and respected there will to fight.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 22:46
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

I'm sorry but this guy is spreading lies about France simply because he have been reading too much Yankee lies about France, and this guy is a czech, a country of no importance whatsoever militarily speaking. This individual is very despicable in the sensethat he insulting France by his ignorance, disinformation and willingness to listen to ignorant people and their propaganda.

He may be totally wrong about the French army, but acting like the petulant French version of a crazed Turkish nationalist wont make it better.  SHow him up by telling him factually why he is wrong.  Itll make him seem dumber and you seem smarter.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 00:04
Originally posted by Tobodai

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

He may be totally wrong about the French army, but acting like the petulant French version of a crazed Turkish nationalist wont make it better.  SHow him up by telling him factually why he is wrong.  Itll make him seem dumber and you seem smarter.

This would make a lot of sense if I was arguing with a reasonable individual like most members on this forum are. But Zagros is a total cucumber there is no point arguing with him. this type of individual tends to ignore facts but like embrace totally nonsensical sterotypes and popular propaganda (a sign of chronic stupidity). The only way I see to fit to deal with such individual is to literally beating some sense into them.

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 00:17
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I always wondered where you were from Quetzalcoatl. Why do you have yourself down as Jamaican and not French? Or am I missing something?

Anyways Something else needs to be cleared up, and thats about the Gauls. Like Demon said a Gallic army did take Rome, and on many occasions gave Rome a run for their money. They were great warriors, and some of the best metal workers. Infact Chain mail was designed and made from them as was the helmets the Romans used. They were also known for building a couple stone forts.

The Gauls weren't Savages or barbarians as much as the Romans would have liked you to believe, and that pretty much goes for all those considered Barbariac. They were just not a unified force like the civilizations that were around the Mediterranean. The Romans did always fear them though, and respected there will to fight.

It is like an old tradition here to have the flag of a small or unknown country just for fun , you'll notice some people are from north Korea, Sri lanka and panama here . 

You are right about the Gauls, their metal technology was in many ways much more advance than the romans. They made very complexed jewellery some term as baroque, and in many fields more advance than the romans but they weren't urban people and lack the urban planning and social and military organisation of the romans. there were 2 Brennus, one sacked rome and another went as far as forming a kingdom in Turkey. they were so fierce in battle that greeks were forced to ask if there is anything they really fear.

Further the Gauls unlike the germanic barbarians did infact have settlements not great cities but large enough settlements that can be conquered. The germanics were really hard to be conquered simply because they didn't have settlements like the Gauls but live in thick forest and move around the land without any fix settlements.

This is how a celtic settlement look like. better than anything Germanic definitely, some like at lyon much larger, ressembling a small city.

Hochdorf - reconstruction of the settlement/Dorfrekonstruktion

Since the Gaul had the biggest settlement of the Celtic civ.

Celtic shield

Celtic sword (make of steel)

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Texas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 00:19
I will say these about the french army ----------------------Their most well respected units are made up of foriegners -----------FRENCH FORIEGN LEGION
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 00:29

Originally posted by Texas

I will say these about the french army ----------------------Their most well respected units are made up of foriegners -----------FRENCH FORIEGN LEGION

Yea and the foreign legion has a majority of french soldiers contrary to what you think redneck. They are just assigned a "Gaulois" identity since FFL is not supposed to take french soldiers. You'll be suprised how may Belgian, swiss and canadians there are in the foreign legion. All officers in the FFL are also french .

And learn to spell foreign properly, you made the mistake twice .

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 01:15

No way to say that French Army was crappy at all.

Weren't the Napoleonic armies the ones that marched over the major european capital cities ?

weren't the french the ones that stopped to the moors invasion at Poitiers ?

weren't the french a colonial power of their time ?

just to tease you a little bit Quetzalcoatl: Thanks for Cinco de Mayo.

I would not say that were crappy armies. It takes real guts to enlist or serve into any army. What makes the difference is the leadership.

Regards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>