Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst armies in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst armies in history
    Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 22:13
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Probably the logical reason for that was Spain did not have the resources to commision the submarine project and was having trouble enough of feeding her own citizens

Yes!

You may be right on that. It is amazing how the economic situation usually is more important to keep a military power than anything else. Just remember what happened with the Soviet Union when the economy fall down.

The Spanish Empire was too much expensive for Spain to keep it. That's all, and I agree.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 18:28
The spanish army of Cuba after years of war was well equiped, fierce and veteran althought very tired, this is clear when anybody study the battles against the americans wich wasn't a walk by the garden; the problems there was the navy and after the defeat of the navy the impossibility of aid the army in the island, so althought the army wanted fight and could do it for many time was a lost war since the beginning, without the fleet the resistance was impossible. And of course without money Spain can't rebuild the fleet or build submarines, one of the options was not fight open naval battle but only travel between the Peninsula and the Caribe fighting only in superiority, this was possible but the admiral Cervera was stupid.

But i must admit, the army of the spaniards from 1815 to 1860 was totally crapy, absolutelly pathetic, probably one of the worst of the history.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 19:06
The Spainish troops in the Rif wars were pretty bad as well. I feel sorry for the commanders of the army who had to fight those terrible wars in northern africa
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 19:26
That is true Ponce but changing your point of view: poor soldiers who fought under those incompetents!! Althought after 1860 the level of the spanish armies grew lightly his situation was equally horrible, the war on the Rif was a madness and only after the disaster of Annual the things changed, in all those years the army was without discussion in the group of the crapy armies. But after 1925, and over certain basis of the past because all in all the war gave experience, the spanish army that was fighting in North frica quickly became a trully monster and i haven't doubts was one of the betters of the world. This army will win the Civil War in vastly inferiority of numbers and resources (at the beginning) and was who provided the men for the formidable Blue Division.

Edited by Ikki - 17-Sep-2007 at 19:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by Ikki

...And of course without money Spain can't rebuild the fleet or build submarines,...

It was really lack of money... or lack of vision?

I have the idea that Spain could perfectly had invested in a float of, let's say, twenty subs, without much problem, but they lacked the vision and the decission to doing so. I bet signals of the comming events of 1898 were seeing long time before they actually happened. Spain just didn't have the vision to act. By the way, the effect of 1898 were devasting for Spain, and one can easily see it pushed that country into the events that later degenerated into the Civil War.

On the other hand, why Spain insisted to have colonies and slaves 90 years after its time is a mistery for me.

Pinguin
AndronicusRex View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AndronicusRex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 17:42
Non-European armies facing European/Colonial armies.  Bad track record
Andronicus Rex, Noble of the Republic

http://angryamericanaristocrat.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 23:20
Originally posted by AndronicusRex

Non-European armies facing European/Colonial armies.  Bad track record

You are right, but Europeans also have many defeats. Just remember how the Brits were crashed by the Zulus, something that happened many times all over the world.

The dominancy of Europeans changed when Japan defeated Russia at the begining of the 20th century.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112