Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Norman’s ethnic cleansing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norman’s ethnic cleansing
    Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 21:13

Apparently the normans reign in England was tyrranny. According to that article the normans never tried to make any efforts to assimilate with the English. And there were a system of apartheid between the English and Normans. Could that be the origin of English hatred for the french. And also could that be the origin of the Upper class accent. You have to admitt that in England not so long ago they existed a caste system there. The article itself is controversial but nevertheless a good read. Somehow, I no longer feel proud of having a norman ancestry anymore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/lj/conquestlj/conquered_01.shtm l?site=history_conquestlj_conquest

Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 00:31
Don't feel so bad.  Every ruler was a butcher back then.  This divide could be the cause of the accents, but not the ancestral hatred.  I suspect the reason for that is simply the fact that england and France were in a state of near constant warfare, at least great tension, from the Middle Ages to 1815.  Some of the hatred was watching soldiers march over your land, but others was good PR by the government I'm sure, an early form of propaganda.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 06:34

Originally posted by Clovis

Could that be the origin of English hatred for the french.

I would say the "hatred" is mutual and based more in the hundred years war, Nap wars and so on, which are far closer to us.

Besides, the neighbours hate each other: French-germans, french-british, french-spanish, german-poles, poles-russians, spanish-portuguese, ...

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 16:41

One of the books I'm reading now "1066 the year of the Conquest" flips back and forth between Norman and English veiws of what lead up to and the conquest it self. It examines possible reasons for Williams invasion and looks at the English veiw of it. England having been at peace for some time and having their own way of electing a king were understandably upset by the invesion and left William little choice in subjegating them.  

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 07:40
The English didn't get along well with most of their neighbors at the time, don't forget.  Besides the French, there were frequent squabbles with the Scots and Welsh, and Ireland after Henry II invaded the Emerald Isle.  In another forum, I saw somebody write that the worst thing about Scotland's history is that the Scots were unlucky enough to have England for a neighbor.

Apartheid would be a correct term for what the Normans did right after 1066, but not ethnic cleansing--I don't see an organized effort to destroy the Anglo-Saxons as an ethnic group, or even to remove them wholesale from the land, as the Serbs did more recently with their "ethnic cleansing."  The land would have been useless without serfs to tend it, after all, and everything the Normans did was to make sure they remained in charge, which was also part of the thinking behind what the South African whites did with their form of apartheid.  Appropriately, in the Afrikaner language, it's pronounced "apart-hate."

They could defeat enemy soldiers but they couldn't defeat time, and eventually the Normans were assimilated in every place they conquered--in France, England, southern Italy and the Holy Land.  As the best knights in Europe, they excelled in fighting and castle-building.  However, their main role was to be the catalysts of medieval culture.  They invented almost nothing on their own, but instead learned architecture, tactics and the techniques of government from others.  Once they had improved on all of these things, and changed the face of Europe, they faded away.  By 1200 they were no longer a distinct people, and their kingdoms were in the hands of their former students.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 11:53

Also remember that kings like Richard le Coeur de Lion was a total Norman, yet he is revered by the English. He did not even speak English, only French!!!

I would say that Normans are more of Vikings than French. True, they adopted some parts of French culture and spoke a diluted form of French, but their warrior spirit was truely viking.

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 13:50
Originally posted by Dawn

One of the books I'm reading now "1066 the year of the Conquest" flips back and forth between Norman and English veiws of what lead up to and the conquest it self. It examines possible reasons for Williams invasion and looks at the English veiw of it. England having been at peace for some time and having their own way of electing a king were understandably upset by the invesion and left William little choice in subjegating them.  

David Howarth's Hastings book is excellent, and his book regarding the Spanish Armada is great too.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 13:53
Originally posted by Evildoer

Also remember that kings like Richard le Coeur de Lion was a total Norman, yet he is revered by the English. He did not even speak English, only French!!!

I would say that Normans are more of Vikings than French. True, they adopted some parts of French culture and spoke a diluted form of French, but their warrior spirit was truely viking.

Perhaps it would even be more accurate to simply state that the Normans were, well... Normans.  They believed in the concept of Gens Normannorum ("The Norman People"). 

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 14:21

Richard is actually the second Plantagenat king.

He was the grandson of Mathilda, daughter of Henry I, and Geoffrey of Anjou.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 05:58

The Normans were quick to become French, particularly since they were a minority in their new duchy and a disproportionate number of the new people were young male Vikings who took local women for wives. After a few generations, the Norwegian language and customs were fading fast and the Normans were French

Viking are incapable of Frankish organisation and order. The Viking were a bunch of raiders,  each time they met a real army they ever flee or faced defeat. THe viking was in fact crushed by Frankish duke Robert "Le Justicier" at Charte 911. However, they took advantage of the situation in peace treaty by allowing the viking to settle in normandy. Rollo readily converted to christianity and the large number of single man readilt married into the disproportionately larger Gallic population. 150 years, in 1066, no one knows who the fvck the viking are. The Normans were more french than the Franks themselves. Same hair cut,  same language (in fact they spoke a more refine french), same architecture, the fight on horse. There names are as french as it can get. Together they brought the Frank from ile-de-france to assault england. In fact the majority the William armies weren't from normandy.  To remind you the viking never conquered normandy, they were just raiders.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 06:04

Wrong, Coeur de Lion mother was Eleanor of Aquittaine (born in poitier Aquittaine, France) and her Father was Henri Plantagent (note the French name indicating he has no freaking viking ancestry) the duke of normandy. Richard automatically inherited Aquittaine, the place he died and was buried.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 10:07
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

David Howarth's Hastings book is excellent, and his book regarding the Spanish Armada is great too.

I'm finding this one verygood as well. Almost done it I'll have to look for Hastings.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 10:25

Quetzalcoatl of course the Normans were not Vikings, if they were William would not have had to spend six months or more gathering and building ships to go to England and would not of had to promise half of England to his nobles. There would have been little concern about the cannel crossing It would have been a routine thing for a Viking force. To assume that the Vikings were "incapable of Frankish organisation and order" is a fallacy. For what ever reason they choose their own form of society structure but the Vikings were far from simply raiders. They were very ferocious, highly adaptable, with there own code of conduct and probably the best seamen around(at least in northern Europe) It has been suggested that the fighting mentality of the Normans was a direct result of the Norwegian blood that was introduced to the local population.

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 18:16

It has been suggested that the fighting mentality of the Normans was a direct result of the Norwegian blood that was introduced to the local population.

That is total nonsense for the simple reason the vast majority of the army were Frank mercenaries (Frank here is used to describe the early french, because at this time anyone in Francia occidentalis were referred as Franc(FRank) by outsiders even the normans). If the vikings were such great warriors how come they were always defeated in large conventional battles such as Chartre and stamford bridge. This shows they were only adapted for raids and small scale fight. THe viking blood thing is a myth without any real foundation. The normands before even the arrival of the vikings were already fierce warriors which were from the original Gaul population. And the viking never conquered the place, the land was given to them from (an agreement after their defeat). It's like you telling me 10000 people arriving in a population of nearly 1 million, will turn them into viking. This is ridiculous. Plus unlike in England the Gallic lords already in the region were powerful and they readily married with the viking leaders forming the norman elites. And this point they are Gallo-scandinavian but 150 years later, the vikings were just tales for the kids. 

And there is no proof that the early viking has any decent military organisation like the Franks. They fought mostly in war band usually less than 200 and were rather the opportunists type not the warrior who fought for honour , glory or a cause. This classify the viking mostly as barbars, not different from any primitive tribes.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 16:28

As interesting as discussing the merits (or lack thereof )of Viking warriors is ,it might be better suited to a thread of its own rather than hi jacking this one.

To return to your original premise that the Normans reign in England was nothing short of tyranny. From the point of view of the English how could it be anything but. The Normans invaded England on a premise that can still be said to be flimsy at best. That Duke William had a right to the throne because of a few suggested(I only say this because it is not 100% certain that they were made) promises and had gained papal support under false pretenses . Hereditary claims did not exist in that England and the death bed request of Herold carried a great deal of weight. The English were happy with their councils choice of king and then along comes William and his army and wins. One of the biggest problems the English had was that William distributed most of the lands to his Norman followers but what choice did he have. He had promised them it. He was ruthless in putting down the rebellions that followed (5 years or mor of them) And his harsh measures touched not only the nobles but the commoners as well. The ring of Norman castles must have been ment for protection from the locals because there wasnt much of an outside threat at the time. That constant remainder of the conquest couldnt have been good for creating good feelings with the locals.

You said that the Normans made no efforts to assimilate the English but within a few generations the English had assimilated the Normans to make a new bread of Englishman different than the old but not the same as the Normans of the continent either. Could it be responsable for the long standing hatred between the two states? Well it could make a real good start at it. What was the condition of affairs between the two before Hastings?

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 16:58

I disagree, the English kings that lead the invasion into France during 100 years war were themselves very Frenchy-blooded - it was the later wars against the real French and not the Normans that dampened the relations.

I disagree Quetzal, the Vikings quite effectively attacked Paris and I think the inhabitatants had to starve for a time, although I don't know much about it.

Remember that there was the Danelaw that took over the entire section of England and even Alfred the Great had to bargain with them. Even Shakespeare's Macbeth has a mention of a Norweigian army invading Scotland. It is no conincidence that Scottish accent acttually closely resembles the Scandinavian accent...  The founders of Russian nation were thus Scandinavian too. They even dared to attack Byzentium once too, and they once held a whole chunk of Ireland.

I read from an account by a Norman monk at the site of Hastings that Norman haircut was similar to that of monks.... so the Saxons were surprised that Norman army was made of "monks" ahahhaha

I have doubts about Normans speaking refinded French.... they even pronounced H's! (Je parle francais un peu...) And likely their accent resembled Scandinavian.  

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 18:46

I disagree, the English kings that lead the invasion into France during 100 years war were themselves very Frenchy-blooded - it was the later wars against the real French and not the Normans that dampened the relations.

Well strictly speaking it wasn't England vs France, more like an alliance of Anglo-Franco-Burgundian vs France and Scottland. Normandy naturally was at time under Frankish control. Since they sided with France after France defeated England and the flemish during the Capetian wars during the 13th century.

I disagree Quetzal, the Vikings quite effectively attacked Paris and I think the inhabitatants had to starve for a time, although I don't know much about it.

Well these were war bands, a rather large one in that particular case. Knowing the nature of the conflict , it's pretty hard for the Frank to response to them. But they were thouroughly defeated later and at many occassion. But they don't seem to be under any central authority so another nabd will come later and raid another place. Anyone will appreciate that the vikings were successful because they have high mobility. They usually went for soft targets.

Remember that there was the Danelaw that took over the entire section of England and even Alfred the Great had to bargain with them. Even Shakespeare's Macbeth has a mention of a Norweigian army invading Scotland. It is no conincidence that Scottish accent acttually closely resembles the Scandinavian accent...  The founders of Russian nation were thus Scandinavian too. They even dared to attack Byzentium once too, and they once held a whole chunk of Ireland.

Well there is nothing they could do about, it is rather impossible in that time to protect there cost against the vikings. So they settled, gradually increase in number and therefore forming larger war bands which ressembled actually an army. Scottish certainly have little scandinavian influence, they are celtic, only the southern part of scotland was settled by viking. And I believe this has to nothing to do with there accent.

I read from an account by a Norman monk at the site of Hastings that Norman haircut was similar to that of monks.... so the Saxons were surprised that Norman army was made of "monks" ahahhaha

Like Jean Reno in "les visiteurs"  . No it's Frankish hair style not normans, the original people of normandy already had it. It was for the warrior class in all France. Well the immigrants certainly adopted it.

I have doubts about Normans speaking refinded French.... they even pronounced H's! (Je parle francais un peu...) And likely their accent resembled Scandinavian.  

Normands french is known as langue d'oil, considered as more refined as la langue d'oc. They were spoken in France even before the arrival of the disproportionately smaller viking immigrants. The viking simply adopted the language and didn't modify it. THe reason for that is because the children usually take the accent of the mother, and although the viking population was small, they were also single so they married the locals. Basically there children will speak la langue d'oil. I'll believe William (Guillaume) would have spoken like Jean Reno in le Voyageur, old French is not exactly the same as modern French.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 18:50

You said that the Normans made no efforts to assimilate the English but within a few generations the English had assimilated the Normans to make a new bread of Englishman different than the old but not the same as the Normans of the continent either. Could it be responsable for the long standing hatred between the two states? Well it could make a real good start at it. What was the condition of affairs between the two before Hastings?

It took them like 300 years to start speaking English. When I speak of normans I'm not talking about the vikings but about the people from normandy. Yes they have viking immigration. But those viking was thoroughly assimilated in 150 years and the local lords have tremendous power in the area.

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 20:29

William was originally known as William the Bastard... lol.

What are the differences between Langue d'Oc and Langue d'Oil? Was Langue d'Oil used in rest of Northern France as well such as in Champagne or Auvergne? 

And what are Gascon and Provencal? Are they just dilects or are they a full language on their own?

Hmm... I suppose the Northern France would have been much more fully Celtic than the southern part since it was conquered later and was less accessible to Latin migrations from Roman Italy than souther parts.

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 21:10

What are the differences between Langue d'Oc and Langue d'Oil? Was Langue d'Oil used in rest of Northern France as well such as in Champagne or Auvergne? 

And what are Gascon and Provencal? Are they just dilects or are they a full language on their own?

Langue d'oc was the dialects of french spoken in  southern of France. Occitan and Provencal are dialects of the Langue d'oc.

Langue d'oil was the medieval dialects of French spoken in central and northern France.

Hmm... I suppose the Northern France would have been much more fully Celtic than the southern part since it was conquered later and was less accessible to Latin migrations from Roman Italy than souther parts.

Well britanny was celtic without any doubt, but normandy was rather more  a mixture of Franks and celts plus it was a little bit romanised. But in these area poeple have celtic or germanic treats which contrast witht people of the south which have meditteranean features.  In medieval southerners were probably different because later large number of immigrants from italy and Spain moved into southern France.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>