Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who do turks consider closer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who do turks consider closer
    Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 00:28
Hi i was wondering the other da who do the turks from turkey consider closer to them iranians or greeks, i mean racially and culturally. Please dont be offended by this post.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 00:35

Calm your nerves. You sound curious though. I guess you'll need to wait and see what the other Turks think. For myself, I'm culturally close to anybody I've had contact with long enough. I know it's a smarty answer but its past midnight.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 01:16
Racially none of them but culturely Greeks are close to Turks.I feel close both the equally tho.One of my best buddies abroad is Greek but I get along with Iranians better if you generalize.People who live in Turkey may think different because of sheriat in Iran(ruled by religion) because this is a No! No! in Turkey.
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 01:29
Ok, I've lived and still live in various places due to my job, from St.Malo France to Vladivastok Russia, and Istanbul Turkey.

I can say for a fact that the closest the Turks are to the Europeans are mainly the medditerranean countries, and those countries that were under ottoman rule for long
period of time, the ottoman mixed culture has effected them such that there are many things that they take for their own culture when it is infact ottoman, turkic.

Then is the other Turkic countries, we are close to them the most I suppose, although there are many differences due to different paths chosen the essence is similar, so if you go to china, to a turkic village, then to a turkish village in turkey, the only real differences will be the language and appearances.. thats all. (its quite wierd, I did the comparison myself),

Then there is a very strange coincidence, that our 'Enemy' through out its history from Moscovite period, Imperial Russia to the Soviets is also close to the average Turk, but I suppose this is because of the Turkic blood they have in forms of the Tatars,Khazars... etc.   
Actually my first visit to russia was in '92, and I found them to be a funny mix, between turks and the english.. (dont ask )

Then there is the Jews (note not the 'modern-jews' of israel) and Armenians, they're to some sense also close to the Turks again similar logic, we've lived together with them for a looong period of time, so the cultures are again similar.

Then there are the Iranian, there are many people in turkey that can be put into the same line with a Iranian and you couldnt tell the difference.. there are also similarities in other ways, this if you throw away various religious propaganda and the molla's of Iran, and the islamic sects/groups in Turkey.

Arabs, similarly with Iranians, there are also people similar to them amongst Turks.

In the end, a Turk is close to just about any person who our ancesters forefathers have touched, conquered, and lived with.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 04:08

Turks from western Turkey feel closer to Greeks while easterners feel closer to Iran

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 04:30
I thin I agree with Kotumeyil. It also makes sense, since Turks from the West part of Turkey and Greeks, have interacted (one way or another ) for many centuries. In the eastern part, it's logical (adding to the equation the large Kurdish population) that this interaction was mainly happening with the Persians.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 05:15

Arpad, you're going to hear Azeris?

Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 06:40
i dont really know who azeris feel closer too, if thats what you are asking gok_toruk, i guess we feel closer to turks especially the ones living in iran.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 10:27
I am little bit more closer to Turks from any Turkic state around the world, but alos little bit for some Greeks. I have a greek firiend who has a tatoe on his arm of Greek flag, typical greek ill guess
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 14:41

Originally posted by Yiannis

I thin I agree with Kotumeyil. It also makes sense, since Turks from the West part of Turkey and Greeks, have interacted (one way or another ) for many centuries. In the eastern part, it's logical (adding to the equation the large Kurdish population) that this interaction was mainly happening with the Persians.

I also agree. Aegean Turks, Turks of Izmir, Fethiye, Aydin etc. are culturally very similar with Greeks, they share lots of common elements, both Turkish and Greek ones.

I guess it's the same for every country and society in the world, having lots of common elements and interactions with their historical neighbors. It is a little more complicated in Turkey since our lands lie btw totally different cultures and societies, btw East and west. Anatolia is a true bridge btw East and West, that's why we are so colorful.

Altough there are lots of Kurds in the eastern provinces today, it isnt the reason for our eastern society sharing lots of cultural elements with Iran. The Eastern provinces population was mostly Armenians and then Turks before, Kurds were living in Northern mesopotamia. But then, to balance the Muslim-Christian percentages, they were settled in the eastern cities such as Erzurum, Bitlis, Van. The reason of the heavy cultural similarities btw Iran and Eastern anatolian Turks is historical. First of all, we share a common history, and Eastern anatolia always have always been, before and after Turks, a region as a bridge btw Iran and Anatolia. and we shouldnt forget the Azeris, northwestern Iran have been the Azerbaijan of Gharb, the home of western Azeris.

But in general, when I hear their trks and lyrics, when I see their rugs, when I listen their accents and when I see their faces, Armenians are very similar with us, more than Greeks, Iranians or even Kurds. I am not considering Azeri brothers in this classification, because they arent only simlar with us, they are the same with us. And of course, the people of other Turkic societies, especially western Thracian Turks, Turks of Iran, and Turkmens are very similar with us, in costums, traditions, language, and mostly in looks.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 16:28

I felt at home when I was in Turkey, people had same attitude as me and very similar family values. I think if you Turks go to Iran you will feel the same, you can't judge without going. The law might be Sharia but the people aren't lost in Islam.

As for Azeries, Azeries are culturally and racially the same as Iranians as far as I am concerned, we are countrymen, my dad's best friend is Azeri and seriously they are indistinguishable from other Iranians and they have the same celebrations and religion.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 19:30
I feel closer to Turks than anyone else, I have a lot of Tatar, Uygur, Azeri and zbek friends (probably more than Turkish friends) and I feel very close to them.  If I compare Iranians and Greeks, I'd choose Iranians.  Everytime I meet a Greek, they want to talk politics and get into issues they know is going to end in a fight, when I meet an Iranian it'I akways feel a closer bond to them.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 20:07

I don't think that the Kurds (eastern anatolians) and Persians share similar culture and life style. Actually, West Anatolia has more persian influence as compared to the east. Kurdish nationality is part of mesopotamia. And they have mesopotamian culture.

I feel closer to Iranians than Greeks.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 20:12

Originally posted by Feramez

I when I meet an Iranian it'I akways feel a closer bond to them.

Well, religion does play a part in this.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 20:34

Not really, it is more non-religious cultural - but saying that, the Greek culture is not a million miles away from Iranian either, in terms of mannerisms etc. I didnt sit there in Turkey and talk about Islam, it is the way I could relate together.  You have to remember that the Turks went to Turkey through Iran (Rum Seljuqs) and they perpetuated Iranian culture.

I will put it more simply, if an Iranian goes to Turkey and/or Greece he will feel much less foreign (and more comfortable) than he would in other parts of Europe because the people or on a similar wave length. And the three countries have a common history going back centuries and millenia.

Edited by Zagros
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 21:11

When i went to Istanbul i also found the people very similar to iranian in terms of hospitality, cultural etc., but then that was the eastern istandbul or the old city., The new city is quite modern and i saw quite a few greek elements.. I think personally in terms of religion turks ofcourse are closer with iran (however discussion is not based on religion) so i think thats all in all turks feel close to all countries around them especially, greece, iran, armenia and bulgaria and even georgia as i herd there are laz people in black sea reigion who speak same language as them. As an azeri from iran. i feel close to iran, follow iranian soccer team  and have many iranian friends. However i also feel close to turks, and im not sure weather that is as is coming from and azeri or iranian. Because i think iranians also consider themselves close to turks,,, We both share a common love for similar things,, Rugs (that we are good at making) , chai , wrestling (Pehlivan's etc) and those same type of sports, Nevruz , or nawrooz holidays, and both are very helpful kind and hospitable people.

I would say the iranians feel closer to turks, (at least northern iran) than arabs. Howevr feel closer to tadjikistan and afghanistan for same reason turks feel closer to turkic nation.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 21:17
Language, culture, and religion aside; I have experienced the feeling that Turks share a similarity with Greeks through mostly mannerisms and some slang. Unfortunately I haven't spent much time with Iranians so I wouldn't know.  
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 22:22

Can we put it this way?

Suppose there is a footbal match (in World Cup) between Iran and Greece, then which team do the majority of people in Turkey support? I think this is an effecient way to test who do you think is closer to you.

I remeber, during last World Cup, my mother who is the least fan of football got so exited on every match that Turkey won and so depressed on the ones Turkey lost (twice to Brasil).

well, here you should also consider some other facts, like superstar effect.  We always give our preference first to Turkic countries, then to Islamic countries, then to countries with great teams with good players. However, when it comes to two Turkic contries, for example, Turkey and Uzbekistan, most of us support Turkey merely because we know well and love some good players, like Hasan Sas, Basturk etc, although we feel more closer to Uzbeks in every aspects.

What I mean is, aside from this effect, the way how the people support a team of a country does reflect for some degree the feeling of closeness of the people to that country.  

Either make a history or become a history.
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 23:25

We must not also forget Turkey is muslim as I said, giving them more cultural ties to the Middle East, which I believe Turkey is a middle eastern country. And since Greece is a european country, Turks will feel more "realted" towards other Middle eastern countries because of common religion, culture, and historic ties.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 01:57
I am Chinese. I know Chinese history. In ancient China, there were connections and war between Chinese and turks, and Chinese books talked about the origin of Turks.The books said that at first, turks were the servants of another nomadic group, chinese name of this group was You Yen, i do not know the english name of this group of people. may be there was some ethnical relation between these two groups of people.some Chinese books said that Huns were the ansectors of the Turks.
leung
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>