Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europe and asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europe and asia
    Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 21:49

"Europeans did fight against the samurai--in the 16th century.  The Spanish in the Philippines had to deal with Sino-Japanese pirates (wako) often, during the 1570s and 1580s.  The fact that the Spanish had firearms is a moot point, because the wako had them too!  The fighting involved a mixture of missile weapons (arquebuses and bows) and melee weapons (polearms and swords). 

And the Spanish won."

This battle is not a good indication in anyway, Wo kou pirates are small in number and they lack cavalry units, Qi Ji guan of Ming also defeated them pretty easily so there is nothing surprising.

"Well, I don't know if historical Mongols--like Prince Batu--would have agreed with your assessment there.  Batu became pretty nervous when dealing with the Hungarian knights at HTH range at the Battle of Mohi,  before Subotai came up.

And, they must have had at least some appreciation for European military prowess, as they hired knights and crossbowmen from time to time.  In fact, the unpleasant Mongol experience with Italian mercenary crossbowmen was very manifest at the siege of Szkesfehrvr (Stuhlweissenburg), which the Mongols abandoned after a spirited defense by the Italians.  Even Friar Carpini commented that the Mongols "feared" the crossbow."

Most of the crossbowmen that mongols employed are Chinese not Europeans. The Song crossbowmen had better trigger mechanism design and training along with formation. The various cities of Jin and Song held much larger mongol armies for a much long time inflicting heavy casualties on them. Europe is the furthest conquest of the mongols, yet it was still conquered with such little troops and relative ease on the battle field.

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 19:40

[/QUOTE]

go to hell you are an cheap asian jerk

[/QUOTE]

I say that this djdjdj racist-spammer should be banned.

The topic is absurd.... Dosn't djdjdj even know that there are hundreds of Asian cultures and hundreds of European cultures?

This djdj guy is fuming about how Mongols were conquering Eastern Europe... - Are you one of those so called "White Pride" people?  By the way, Mongols were no Asian-Supremeists (they killed whole lot of Asians too!), so no reason to fume about losing in your "race wars"!

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 19:28

Gubukjanggoon wrote:

the Wako were pirates, not real samurai or soldier to that matter.  

There were samurai within the wako ranks, as well as skilled fighting men from China--certainly "real soldiers" in the practical sense.  It's even known that many of their Chinese members trained in kenjutsu.

And they were very well-equipped.  When Lim-Ah-Hong attacked Manilla in 1574, he had 4,000 warriors in 62 armed junks, and the Spanish initially thought they were being assaulted by a Portuguese fleet--not bad for folks who supposedly weren't "real soldiers".

Peace,

David

I concur with David on the well-equipped part.  In fact, these Wakos invaded Korea on numerous occassions.  they left some of their equipments either because they died with it during battle or something...and they reveal heavy samurai shields and armors, indicating that these pirates were in fact elite samurai warriors.

Gubukjanggoon, if you still don't believe me, try search a kbs documentary with the title: wegu were elite samurai warriors? or something like that

Grrr..
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 18:45

Degredado,

Originally posted by Degredado

You forgot the Portuguese. In the early sixteen hundreds, a man named Andr Pessoa managed to kill a few samurais with his bare hands. And they gained many victories in the east in spite of being incredibly outnumbered.

Yes, I'm aware of Portuguese exploits in the Far East, but the fact remains that, despite putting up a tremendous fight, Pessoa was ultimately defeated and killed.

Formerly the governor of Macau, Pessoa commanded the carrack Nossa Senhora De Graca, when she was assaulted by samurai in 1610.  Pessoa killed some samurai himself, but he was described as fighting with a sword and shield--common equipment for a European officer at that time, actually.  So, esgrima was probably on par with kenjutsu at that time.

I also didn't mention the incident involving the English galleon Tiger, commanded by Sir Edward Michelbourne, and a wako junk, in 1605.  A fight broke out on the Tiger, during what was assumed to be a friendly meeting.  The English were ambushed, but recovered quickly and used pikes to drive the wako into the forward cabin, where they were then finished off with artillery.

Peace,

David

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 18:25
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Europeans did fight against the samurai--in the 16th century.  The Spanish in the Philippines had to deal with Sino-Japanese pirates (wako) often, during the 1570s and 1580s.  The fact that the Spanish had firearms is a moot point, because the wako had them too!  The fighting involved a mixture of missile weapons (arquebuses and bows) and melee weapons (polearms and swords). 

And the Spanish won.

You forgot the Portuguese. In the early sixteen hundreds, a man named Andr Pessoa managed to kill a few samurais with his bare hands. And they gained many victories in the east in spite of being incredibly outnumbered.

Anyhoo, this whole question is absurd. There are several asian cultures, and there are several European cultures, each with a different way to fight.

As for the Mongols in Europe, Tobodai, how can you say it was easier for them there than anywhere else? Let's face it, for the Mongols most adversaries were equally easy to defeat. Liegnitz is probably nothing compared to the battles held in the middle east or central Asia (not only that, but I read somewhere that Bohemians actually put up a stiff resistence to the Mongols; don't know if that's true though) Or are you just unnerved by what's his face's rash comments? You're right to feel that way, but please, calm down.

Edited by Degredado
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 18:19

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

There were samurai within the wako ranks, as well as skilled fighting men from China--certainly "real soldiers" in the practical sense.  It's even known that many of their Chinese members trained in kenjutsu.

And they were very well-equipped.  When Lim-Ah-Hong attacked Manilla in 1574, he had 4,000 warriors in 62 armed junks, and the Spanish initially thought they were being assaulted by a Portuguese fleet--not bad for folks who supposedly weren't "real soldiers".

Peace,

David

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 18:14

Tobodai,

Originally posted by Tobodai

The Mongols were usually very outnumbered, they probably were in Europe too,

I'm glad you brought this up, because I'm really weary of reading about all these baseless claims that the Mongols always outnumbered their opponents--if anything, as you indicated, the reverse was usually true.

and thier EUropean campaign was their most sucessful ever, the Europeans were easier to beat then most other foes at that time.

Well, I don't know if historical Mongols--like Prince Batu--would have agreed with your assessment there.  Batu became pretty nervous when dealing with the Hungarian knights at HTH range at the Battle of Mohi,  before Subotai came up.

And, they must have had at least some appreciation for European military prowess, as they hired knights and crossbowmen from time to time.  In fact, the unpleasant Mongol experience with Italian mercenary crossbowmen was very manifest at the siege of Szkesfehrvr (Stuhlweissenburg), which the Mongols abandoned after a spirited defense by the Italians.  Even Friar Carpini commented that the Mongols "feared" the crossbow.

Peace,

David Black Mastro

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 18:06
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 18:05

TSTH,

Originally posted by TongShanThaiHiung

And please do not assume that European will always win in the melee attack because the European Knight or Roman Legion never fight with something like Korean, Khitan, Jurchen, Japanese, Tibetan or Chinese Heavy Cavalry/Infantry who were also good in melee attack.

Europeans did fight against the samurai--in the 16th century.  The Spanish in the Philippines had to deal with Sino-Japanese pirates (wako) often, during the 1570s and 1580s.  The fact that the Spanish had firearms is a moot point, because the wako had them too!  The fighting involved a mixture of missile weapons (arquebuses and bows) and melee weapons (polearms and swords). 

And the Spanish won.

To say European is stronger than Asian is an absolute nonsense and racist, but if you still keep trying to say European is stronger than Asian then please provide proof and evidence or else what ever you say is just purely bullcrap.

Then, by your logic, you have also made a "racist" comment (below):

This had already proven that Asian are much better and stronger in military than European(I'm not trying to prove whose culture is better).

No martial culture is inherently superior to any other, though some have certainly been more successful than others, during various time periods.

Peace,

David Black Mastro

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 17:03
I don't get the point of this thread....if Europe is superior tell me how...?
Grrr..
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 16:59

The Mongols were usually very outnumbered, they probably were in Europe too, and thier EUropean campaign was their most sucessful ever, the Europeans were easier to beat then most other foes at that time.

Also what about Russia in the Russo-Japanese war, they lost bad to an Asian power.

I think when someone just discounts a whole social group that means they dont know anything about it.  Its easy to be pro-western if that the only history you know... and it clearly is this this persons case as heonly believes the highly inflated and unlikely stats given my Europeans at the time of Leignitz.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 16:43
The spiritual leader of Europe, the Pope, doesn't call just anyone "Hammer of God"

That was Atilla surely?

Arrrgh!!"
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 16:36
What is the point of this thread, to prove one people's superiority to anothers?  Also, Europe vs Asia is a bit broad, as there were many many millitary systems in Asia including Indian, Thai, Arab, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Tibeten, Mongol....
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 10:03

The spiritual leader of Europe, the Pope, doesn't call just anyone "Hammer of God"

He only says that sort of thing when an apocalyptic, unstoppable force of unfathomable terror and power is sweeping across the land like an unholy plague of arrow shooting locust, toppling kingdom after kingdom.

It also seems a bit implausable that the Mongols could transport such a huge number of people right into foreign territory across a continent into another so quickly. There were not that many Mongols in existence. True, they had auxillaries and mercenaries (even an English knight fought for them) but were made up largely of the original steppe dwellers from Central Asia.

"Hammer of God" !

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2004 at 02:59
dsjdsj, you got to get some sources out to prove your claim that the mongols outnumbered the europeans in poland, because most of the claims are that the mongols were totally outnumbered in most of the battles they fought, some as much as 8 times.

Anyway, is the 5 times figure a source from the europeans side? Because most mongols carry 5 horses with them so their numbers look larger to the enemy.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2004 at 00:15
What are you jibbering about dsjdsj, what losses that made them retreat? It was either two things: The death of Ogedei Khan in Karakorum or the lack of grazing grounds past Hungary. The Europeans, even if the Mongols had taken Paris, would have had internal wars probably, there was no amazing strength to withstand the Mongols. Europe wasn't much bigger than a fly in a soup compared to Asia which they had conquered.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 18:38
Originally posted by TMPikachu

Originally posted by dsjdsj

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Well, here are a few facts: Everybody here knows Liegnitz 1241. We have a topic about the battle in the military forum here if you wish to read how the so called "stronger" Europeans were slaughtered in their shiny armor and were totally outpalyed and stragezised. Then came the Sajo river where the worlds number 1 general (bagatur) Sbedei got down with one of the gems in the history of warfare and strategy. Europeans never managed to get further than Anatolia in the midde ages and were pushed even deeper into Europe in the 15th and 16th century by the Ottomans. European armies never accomplished much against Asia pre to the imperial age of colonization so there is no such weird proof of Europeans being stronger in any way.

And i presume you ment the Roman Empire as Europeans aswell and they weren't stronger than the Asians either, never getting a total victory over the Sassanids.

The mongols had 5 time the number of europeans in liegnitz. And in the devil's horsemen chamber said that the europeans were more safe than they have thought they were.

So the Europeans underestimated the mongols. Really badly. Horribly, really.

Number accounts are unreliable though. Many Europeans recorded their numbers as much greater as they thought because

1) They were very very mobile and organised, beyond anything they had ever experienced. So they assumed "Hmmm, another horde must have been hiding here!

2) They were embarassed. Everyone makes excuses for losing.

"Storm From the East" is a good book to read about Mongols with a good focus on the European Theatre.

Really, the Europeans thought the mongols were better than them.

You don't get called "Hammer of God" by the Pope for nothing.

They did not make excusses, the numbers were likely to be real. The mongols never had a great number disadvantage like the spanish did in mexico. The mongol army was larger than any european countries' and they are excellent fighters so they have achieve what they have. But they although suffered heavy losses in europe that they could not afford so they withdrew. Europe was not as feeble and pathetic as some people says, it's more than capable to hold back the mongols.

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:06
Originally posted by dsjdsj

Well, here are a few facts: Everybody here knows Liegnitz 1241. We have a topic about the battle in the military forum here if you wish to read how the so called "stronger" Europeans were slaughtered in their shiny armor and were totally outpalyed and stragezised. Then came the Sajo river where the worlds number 1 general (bagatur) Sbedei got down with one of the gems in the history of warfare and strategy. Europeans never managed to get further than Anatolia in the midde ages and were pushed even deeper into Europe in the 15th and 16th century by the Ottomans. European armies never accomplished much against Asia pre to the imperial age of colonization so there is no such weird proof of Europeans being stronger in any way.

And i presume you ment the Roman Empire as Europeans aswell and they weren't stronger than the Asians either, never getting a total victory over the Sassanids.

The mongols had 5 time the number of europeans in liegnitz. And in the devil's horsemen chamber said that the europeans were more safe than they have thought they were.

So the Europeans underestimated the mongols. Really badly. Horribly, really.

Number accounts are unreliable though. Many Europeans recorded their numbers as much greater as they thought because

1) They were very very mobile and organised, beyond anything they had ever experienced. So they assumed "Hmmm, another horde must have been hiding here!

2) They were embarassed. Everyone makes excuses for losing.

"Storm From the East" is a good book to read about Mongols with a good focus on the European Theatre.

Really, the Europeans thought the mongols were better than them.

You don't get called "Hammer of God" by the Pope for nothing.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 14:54
Originally posted by I/eye

oh, okay.. not misinformed or ignorant, just a racist then..
And I said that because he called my posts bullsh*t.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 14:54

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>