Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

September 2 - Battle of Actium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: September 2 - Battle of Actium
    Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 03:04
Nothing too inspiring today, so its a short and lazy entry:

31BC In the naval battle of Actium,Greece, the fleet of Marcus Antonius, inculding ships provided by the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra, is defeated by G.J.C. Octavianus, later to become Augustus. Actium was possibly the decisive battle of the Roman Civil War that followed the assassination of Caesar. Marcus Antonius escaped to Egypt, after his entire fleet was burned, causing about 5000 casualties. He and Cleopatra committed suicide a year later.

Battle of Actium

1192 Richard I of England and the Ayyubid Sultan of Egypt, Salad ah-Din, concluded negatiotions that ended with a preace treaty in Palestine. Although Richard Is efforts during the 3rd cusade had initially regained some territory for the Christian cause, he soon realised the impossibilty to take Jerusalem, held by Salad ah Din, by force. Both came to an agreement, that would leave Jerusalem under Muslim control, but would allow the access of Christian pilgrims to the Holy City.

1666 The Great Fire of London begins in Pudding Lane. It rages for four days and ends only after the flames are put out by rain. Although an enormous number of properties are burnt (approx 13,000 buildings are destroyed), only six people are killed. The architect Christopher Wren was commisioned to rebuild the city, amongst his best known designs is St.Pauls Cathedral whose construction was began in 1675.

Great Fire of London

1898 At the Battle of Omdurman,British troops, led by Lord Kitchener, defeat the Sudanese and re-occupy the Sudanese capital , Khartoum. It was a desive victory for the colonial power in the war against the forces of the Madhi Mohammed Ahmed, a religious leader in the Sudan, who had declared a Jihad against the Ottoman-British occupiers. Omdurman must go down as possibly the most one sided major battle in World history. The forces of the Madhi, Sudanese tribesman armed with guns and more traditional weapons like spears and swords, were no match for the British machine guns and artillery. On the British side, out of a force of approximately 8000, 48 were killed and 382 wounded, while the Sudanese casualties were somewhat higher, out a force of 50.000, 10.000 were killed and 15.000 were wounded.

1979 Stephanos Komnenos, youngest brother of the Megas Komnenos Georgios I, and 4th in line to the Byzantine throne, is born in exile in Germany. Happy Birthday!

Full list:

Wikipedia

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 12:31

Komnenos:

Do you know song 'London's burning'? (Not in 1940!)

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 17:16
Originally posted by Nagyfejedelem

Komnenos:

Do you know song 'London's burning'? (Not in 1940!)

London's burning! London's burning!

All across the town, all across the night
Everybody's driving with full headlights
Black or white turn it on, face the new religion
Everybody's sitting 'round watching television!

London's burning with boredom now
London's burning dial 99999

I'm up and down the Westway, in an' out the lights
What a great traffic system - it's so bright
I can't think of a better way to spend the night
Then speeding around underneath the yellow lights

London's burning with boredom now
London's burning dial 99999

Now I'm in the subway and I'm looking for the flat
This one leads to this block, this one leads to that
The wind howls through the empty blocks looking for a home
I run through the empty stone because I'm all alone