Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ossentian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ossentian
    Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 00:20

Hi, this has been a query of mine for a long time now, i know that ossetians (south of russia around beslan) are an iranic people closely related to alans and sycthians, and that they retain a strong and distinct culture and language. i was wondering has any iranians here ever spoken to ossetian? and if so is there any similarities between ossetian and farsi? can they understand each other or has the division between them for so long changed both their languages ?? and also do ossetians look more persian than russian? maybe someone could post pics of ossetians to help out, im sorry if this has been talked abot before however i have not seen it on the forum and find it an interesting topic

baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 01:57
Ok, 'Alans', maybe you should take a look to closer date's than them say 200-300 years back from now? Then you'll really see what the population of Ossetia consists of.
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 04:03
now i know the alans and scythians don't exist anymore i just gave an example of two extinct iranic popultions, i am talking about the ossetians and the traditions and aspects of their culture that is still the same as persians culture.
Iranban View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Iranban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 04:11
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 07:13
"Arpad" yes but in a very narrow sense, you also have take into consideration of Georgians,Armenians,Russians,Mongols-Turks,Tatars,Khazars etc etc.. and the influence of these people's on to them, otherwise its just nationalistic mumbo jumbo of claims..
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 13:32

Dr Kaveh Farrokh is Ossetian. 

Ossetia is actually the Georgian name for it, their republic is called Alania or Iron in their own language.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 13:37

Originally posted by baracuda

"Arpad" yes but in a very narrow sense, you also have take into consideration of Georgians,Armenians,Russians,Mongols-Turks,Tatars,Khazars etc etc.. and the influence of these people's on to them, otherwise its just nationalistic mumbo jumbo of claims..

I find your haste in pointing this out rich considering you (I can't remember 100% if it was you or another poster) claimed to be an unaldulterated Seljuk, but anyway  

Edited by Zagros
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 20:40
People here also claim Seljuks to be ethnically and totaly iranian.. which is funny,

As for me, Im a decendant of many decendants of the Ottoman rulers I can trace my bloodline pretty far back although not all are Turkic, but have the papers to prove along with family history, in the end I get paid rent even today by a few governments for the land I own in various ex-ottoman countries, Sofia/Bulgaria is an example.

Edited by baracuda
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 20:49
What lands do you hold deeds from? I wouldn't think that foreign countries would honor them.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 21:11
sent you a pm, as subject is irrelative of this post.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 21:57
I thought Ossetians were a Caucasus people, closely related to Chechens and Ingush.  And weren't the Scythians a Turk tribe?
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 22:26

na everywere i have read it says scythians are a persian people but were closely related to turks and proberly intermarried with them as thy too lived on the steppes. Ossetians are also ment to be persian, alans ad sarmatians aswell,, the only ones tht are survive today is the ossetians.

Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 22:28
however i might be wrong and the place wer i have read such claims too might be wrong...
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 00:05
The Scythians I can accept if they were Persians, I heard this as well as them being Turks.  But the Ossetians and Alans, I've never heard of the Persian claims, only that they're North Caucasus.  The only Persians I know of, today, are Persians from Iran, Afganistan and Tajikistan.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 01:23
I dont know about Scynthians fully, but I've heard them being called with arheological proof Turkic, the same goes for them being Persian.. which one to choose is really up to you as the evidences seem to be inconclusive unless they can be proven fully otherwise.. but the political bias is towards the Persians for some very odd reasons..

I've recently read a book on religion writen in the early 1800's it has a chapter in it which made me laugh, its this is a complimation of various written scripture's, books, etc in the 12th century. The author is english, subject is basically of what he compiled on western accounts of the growth and change of religion, and the effects that caused it, to these adds the chapter "The turk, the comet and the devil" , the turkish threat, expanding and with the taking of Istanbul in 1453, commets appearing over the skies..and the fear of the European public for armageddon,in that period, and why many atrocities and barbarism was acredited to the turks and not the people who were conquered...so basically Turk=Devil, well thats all another discussion on scripture and divinity ; but why am I telling this is this, considering that archeology is relatively new, then the bias will always go to the stories that one has heard so far to be good.

(I wanted to post the chapter here, but its too long unfortunately )

So, unless the Scynthians are proven to be otherwise its best to accept them turkic and persian, but not both, whatever you believe, ignore the rest
There are some major works on them in Ukraine and in Russia but no real news.

Edited by baracuda
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 01:32

Ossetians

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Ossetians live in the region of Ossetia, a region in the northern Caucasus Mountains. Its territory currently straddles the political divide between North Ossetia-Alania in Russia, and South Ossetia in Georgia. They speak the Ossetic language.

The Ossetians descend from Iranian-speaking tribes from Central Asia, namely Alans. They became Christians during the early Middle Ages under Georgian influence. Forced out of their medieval homeland (south of the River Don in present-day Russia) during Mongol rule, they migrated towards and over the Caucasus mountains, where they formed three distinct territorial entities:

• Digor in the west came under the influence of the neighboring Kabard people, who introduced Islam
  • Tuallg in the south, in the Georgian central region of Shida Kartli. In 1924 part became known as South Ossetia
  • Iron in the north became what is now North Ossetia/Alania, under Russian rule from 1767.

Today the majority of Ossetians, from both North and South Ossetia, follow Eastern Orthodoxy. A minority profess Islam.

Most Ossetians today live along the central part of the Greater Caucasus Range in the two Ossetias. A large Ossetian diaspora lives in Turkey, and Ossetians have also settled in Russia, France, Sweden, Syria, the USA, Canada and other countries all around the world.

hi feremez this is what i based my thread on, i wanted to know if ossetians of today could converse with iranians and if the language has changed much, i was also thinking that they are caucasian like chechens georgians etc , but i read this on the wiklepedia encyclopeadiea and found it interesting.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 03:19
Originally posted by Arpad

na everywere i have read it says scythians are a persian people but were closely related to turks and proberly intermarried with them as thy too lived on the steppes. Ossetians are also ment to be persian, alans ad sarmatians aswell,, the only ones tht are survive today is the ossetians.

In terms of historical point of view Persians and Iranians are not the same. Do not confuse Iranian with Persian.....

In fact Ossetians do not call themselves as Alan but call Balkar - Karacai Turks of Caucasus as Alan.

Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 04:34
hmm interesting, how many different groups of turks are there in the caucasus?, the only ones i know of is azeris and another group not 100% what they are called , maybe abkhaz but i think thats not it..
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 06:02
It is not correct to call them Persian - Iranic is the correct term.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 12:25

Originally posted by Arpad

hmm interesting, how many different groups of turks are there in the caucasus?, the only ones i know of is azeris and another group not 100% what they are called , maybe abkhaz but i think thats not it..

Abkhaz aren't Turks, a lot of people say they are, but they're not.  Turks living in the Caucasus: Azeri, Nagay, Balkar, Kumuk, Karachay and even some Turkmen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>