Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Greeks and their Acceptance of Byzantium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Greeks and their Acceptance of Byzantium
    Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 16:44
And the Arabs.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 16:49
Guys,why are you pushing it?We simply are not so much interested.After all the Hellen members are not actually more than 10 here.There are many Hellens out there who really like to talk about the Byzantines.It is simple.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 16:53
And the Arabs.

Much of what the Arabs took was from Constantinople itself.

Guys,why are you pushing it?We simply are not so much interested.After all the Hellen members are not actually more than 10 here.There are many Hellens out there who really like to talk about the Byzantines.It is simple.

Yea and I also know about the Neo-Byzantine types. But to not have interest in the empire that was one of the only glimmering lights of Europe during those days is rather harsh.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 17:19

It is a real shame that the Byzantine empire is not more studied. Constantinople, along with Cordoba were like 2 bright shining stars of knowledge and civilization in Europe, during the so-called "Dark Ages". The Hellenized Roman empire (because that is what was really) constituted the bridge form antiquity to the renaissance and its contribution to civilization was enormous.

I think it is a psychological problem: people look at the Byzantine empire and compare it with the earlier Roman empire and usually only look at the map. They conclude that the Byzantines were but mere shadows of the Romans. But they don't take into account the changing realities of the world and the dissapearing gap in technology which existed between the Romans and the surrounding people, as opposed to Byzantium and its neighbors. It was a remarkable feat for the Byzantines to have survived and flourished for as long as they did, after being attacked by the Huns, Avars, Bulgars, Sassanids, Arabs, Turks, Crusaders, etc. 

Alternatively, they look at Classical Greece and its achievements and they conclude that the cultural and scientific achievements of Byzantium were lesser. But who knows what cultural treasures were lost in 1204 and 1453? And Byzantium had the great merit of preserving ideas, technologies and civilization overall, while the rest of Europe (except for Spain) was a mere shadow of what it had been in Roman times.

Also, let's not forget that its succesor state was the Ottoman empire, a state which was not very good at transmitting Byzantine ideas and culture to the rest of Europe because they were muslim. No offense to the Turks, what I mean is that Byzantium has a lesser place and prestige in Western historiography because Western Europeans were mistrustful of the Ottomans, and hence Byzantine culture and ideas never got the chance to diffuse into Western Europe through the Ottomans, and affect more western civilization. The Byzatine empire itself was Orthodox Christian and conflicts with Catholic Europe had greatly lessened this infusion of Byzantine culture into Europe even before the Ottomans.

Let me ask a question: suppose that the Roman empire and the Byzantine empire were separate entities and that some other people had produced those achievements that ancient Greece is so famous for. Would the Greeks be proud of their Byzantine heritage then? Any people should be proud to be the inheritors of such an important civilization. There are many people in the world who are immensely proud to have had a fleeting golden age for their country, while Byzantium still far outshone those countries at their peak. So why not embrace that heritage and be proud of it?

And finally, please don't turn this into another Greek vs Turk debate

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 18:00
Originally posted by THE TURK

I am proud of Byzantine Empire, Mehmed II. was proud of the Byzantine Empire as well.

No. Fatih was even ashamed of Byzanthine Empire, because it considered the empire as betraying its Roman origins, and being Hellenized. Fatih was proud of Roman heritage, not Byzanthine. One of his titles were "Kayser-i Rum", meaning "Roman Caesar".

BTW, I m also proud of Akkoyunu state...

Turkish Classical music is our culture. believe it or not. 

Believe it? Man, I dont live in Mars or follow Turkish newspaper to learn what Turks do. I am in Turkey, I live here, my family, my everything belongs to Anatolia. And as everyone can see, there was an obvious differing of Turks (Anatolia- Sharq- Tara) and Istanbul (Konstantiniye). Ottomans called Turks as "Etrak-i bi-idrak". I guess you can figure out what it means.

We, anatolians were always the real Turks. Istanbul was cuarantined from Anatolia, it was in a different continent, from a different civilization and culture. You may have been listening Turkish classical music, having fish and wine since 2000 years in Konstantiniye, but we havent. Everyone in Turkey knows that the real voice of the Anatolian was "ak"s and "eren"s, not "efendi"s or tenors.

We are the sons of anatolians... So We are the sons of the architect of Hagia Sophia. We are the sons of the architect of Suleymaniye mosque.

If we are the sons of anatolians, we arent the sons of Byzanthines. You may be a son of Hagia Sophia or a Byzanthine saint but we are the sons of erens of Khorasan. But yeah, we are the sons of maybe not architects of, but builders of Suleymaniye mosque. Isnt the "maharet" with "boyaci"?

Greeks eat bureki and dolmaki, they drink tsorbas, raki and become tszakirkeyf, they listen baglamas, they say "aman!", they say "ai siktir" when became angry, and they live on old Ottoman lands. Does that make them the inheritors of Ottoman heritage?

All of those foods are byzantine origin.

What? From Turks of Gagavuzia to Altaysk, they have burek. Baglama is an Ottomanicized version of the national insturements of Central Asians, "kopuz". We have tones of other examples that are adopted into Greek life from Turkish origins, and the verse of course. But it turns neither Greeks into Ottomans, nor Turks into Byzanthines...

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 00:34

Oguzoglu, your post is typically kemalist defense. Including Byzantine culture, all of anatolian cultures are turkifized in Turkey. But I honestly say that turkish foods are byzantine foods. Turkish music is actually byzantine music. Turkish culture is part of byzantine heritage.

we should discuss this argument in turktarihi.net forum.

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 00:36

BTW : Ottomans called Turks as "Etrak-i bi-idrak".

Etrak-i bi-idrak: Stupid turks.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 00:46

Originally posted by Spartakus

EXACTLY.  This thread has degenerated into arrogant Turkish squabbling.  How can you guys claim so much of Byzantium and its heritage when any possible cultural mixing didn't occur on a large scale until after the conquest of 1453?  

Yes you personally might have grown up with modern Greeks and their culture, but the Byzantine Empire was around long before the Turks even burst forth from central Asia.

I guess I just don't understand your line of thinking.

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 00:56
Let's get back on track with the original topic, about Byzantium and Modern Greece.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 05:44

The interest in the Byzantine Empire,is not a matter of pride.As i've said,it's a matter of personnal interest,nothing more.Harsh?I do not think so.It's personnal taste!You cannot possibly say it's harsh since in here are only 10 from 10.000.000!

Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 06:36

This is a really intersting topic and I'd like to make my first contribution to "All Empires" here.

In the effort to bring this topic back on track, I will contribute a couple of reasons I've thought about the original question.>

I believe that the reason behind the Greeks not being so enthusiastic about their Byzantine heritage is

a)deceiving

b)has to do mostly with political choices made right after the establishment of the modern Greek state.

Explaining:

a) Actually, thanks to Orthodox religion mostly, most Greeks identify with Byzantion and not with the ancient Greeks. The two-headed eagle, the legends (such as the petrified king) the patriarch, the tradition everything reminds of Byzantion but not of classical or post-classical Greece. Most Greeks feel like Byzantion is a part of Greek history and that is enforced by the state too, seing that Byzantine history is taught as part of the Greek history anyway.

b) The Greek revolution (and, right after that, the newly formed Greek state) had to gain the respect and recognition of the West to have even a small chance of surviving and thriving in a turbulent, constantly changing world. In the 19th century the West either despised the medieval Greek empire or (more often) didnt know much about it. On the contrary, classical Greece had already been recognized as the starting point of the western culture and the bloom of the classical studies that culminated in the 19th century shows just that. So, the spiritual leadership of the newly freed Greeks sought a better model than the half-barbaric medieval subjects of the oppressive, widely unknown and definitely not thought after as something of any interest*, Byzantion. And they found it in their distant ancestors, those that established the idea of the West, those that thought of (and implemented) Democracy, those that laid the foundations of science, abstract thought and many other things. Wise choice, if you ask me. But they had a hell of a time trying to pass this choice among the populace even a few decades ago youd whitness people in villages talking a lot about Byzantion (something even visible in the name the Greeks mostly used during the centuries under Ottoman rule to refer to themselves: Romioi) and very little about Aristotle, or Alexandros, or Themistokles, or Plato.

*Dont forget those are the times when Gibbons would consider Byzantium as a part of the fall of the Roman empire, a state in constant decline, of little more value than the barbaric Germanics who took over the Western part of the Empire and that view wouldnt change for the next 100 years either>>

Edited by Alkiviades
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 07:04
Well,that had to do with the past.Modern Hellens,can learn anything they wish about the Empire,without being dependent by the  Hellenic educational system and all of this due to the fact that Hellas is a democratic and free state.In Modern Hellas people have access to any historic period they want.The shelves on bookstores are full with educational material.For this reason,it's only a matter of personnal taste.Nothing more complicated than that.
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 08:45

It might be "a matter of taste" for the resident Greeks of this board, but there are 11 mi. Greeks (20+ if we count in the 'diaspora') and they are hardly represented by this rather small sample. I was trying to rationalize the general consencous.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 09:34
Alkiviades

Well the topic was about why we, the members of AE, aren't into the topics related to the Byzantine empire. Of course, we, by no means represent the general beliefs of the entire Hellinic population, neither in Hellas nor the diaspora.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 04:06

Hi Phalanx

Thanks for clearing this up, I thought it was more of a general notion, than just the Greeks of AE. But even you (we) have aquired our personal taste somehow... and the fact that everything "official" speaks about the glory of our distant ancestors, while keeping rather quiet of the "Romioi" is a factor in that direction.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 06:24

Never pay too much attention at "official" things.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234