Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World’s Largest Ancient Buildings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World’s Largest Ancient Buildings
    Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 02:05

1. The Great Ziggurat of Jiroft, Iran
Area covered: 40 acres (164,000 square meters)

2. The Great Pyramid of Cholula, Mexico
Area covered: 25 acres (101,000 square meters)

3.The Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt
Area covered: 13.6 acres (53,000 square meters)

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 02:10

Crazy stuff, Cyrus. Do you happen to have the approximate dates of construction for those buildings?

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 03:59

1. The Great Ziggurat of Jiroft: 2300-2350 BC

2. The Great Pyramid of Cholula: 2nd century BC!!

3. The Great Pyramid of Giza: 2500-2570 BC

Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:21
Volume is a far greater measurement IMHO.
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 06:39
How about the Great Wall of China?  It may not count because the original structure was made from layers of earth and reed mats, and the towers were behind it instead of part of it (the masonry and towers we are familiar with were added when the Wall was rebuilt under the Ming dynasty).  Still, you can think of it as a tomb of sorts, because the bodies of the workers who died on the project were simply thrown into the foundation for the part of the Wall that was going to be built next, giving it the nickname of the longest cemetery in the world.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 14:28

Stumbled across your site browsing around. Nice work - tons and tons of info.

Just on the topic of ancient buildings and by extension, I think its fascinating that you have these immense structures across the middle east 4 to 5 millenia ago (the Ziggaruts and Egyptian Pyramids are astounding technological marvels) and much later in Central / South America. Then a millenia later there's that huge earth mound at Cahokia in the US (16 acres) where allegedly at the time there was no advanced civilisation.

Atourian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Atourian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 18:23
I am getting interested in Jiroft.
I remember my US history teacher may have told me that the Great Pyramid of Cholula is the largest ancient building.

I'll ask him again just to see if I can prove him wrong.
Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; the end of the world is evidently approaching.
- Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 22:19
Wow, Iran has lots of stuff
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 10:57

Originally posted by Berosus

How about the Great Wall of China? 

And how about the pyramids of China?

Whatever you do, don't
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 11:36
Well? Can't anyone make a good comparison between Chinese pyramids and other buildings? They're also pretty large, right?
Whatever you do, don't
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 21:40

"Well? Can't anyone make a good comparison between Chinese pyramids and other buildings? They're also pretty large, right? "

I would say almost every ancient imperial tomb in china is unbelievably large. e.g. the chin dynasty's first emperor's tomb with terra warriors. what we see today is only part of it that's been unearthed.

e.g. the first emperor's Epang Palace was a state of the art palace that was not only large but was also made of lots of gold. it was burned by han yu when chin surrendered to the rebel forces.

the tang dynasty's capital city wall of chang'an was 80 miles long surronding the tang capital of 2 million residents. Its Daming Palace is as large as 3.11 km² (768 acres). The Forbidden City in Beijing today is only 720,000 m² (178 acres).

"

• Xianyang Palace (wc), in (Qin) Xianyang (w), now 15 km/9 miles east of modern Xianyang, Shaanxi province: this was the royal palace of the state of Qin before the Chinese unification, and then the palace of the First Emperor when China was unified
  • Epang Palace (Юc - probable meaning: "The Palace on the Hill"), 20 km/12 miles south of (Qin) Xianyang (w), now 15 km/9 miles west of Xi'an (w), Shaanxi province: the fabulous imperial palace built by the First Emperor in replacement of Xianyang Palace
  • Weiyang Palace (c - "The Endless Palace"), in (Han) Chang'an (w), now 7km/4 miles northeast of downtown Xi'an (w), Shaanxi province: imperial palace of the prestigious Western Han Dynasty for two centuries. This is the largest palace ever built on Earth, covering 4.8 km² (1,200 acres), which is 6.7 times the size of the current Forbidden City, or 11 times the size of the Vatican City.
  • Southern Palace (nc) and Northern Palace (_c), in Luoyang (), Henan province: imperial palaces of the Eastern Han Dynasty for two centuries, the Southern Palace being used for court hearings and audiences, the Northern Palace being the private residence of the emperor and his concubines
  • Taiji Palace (ӷc - "The Palace of the Supreme Ultimate"), also known as the Western Apartments (内, in (Tang) Chang'an (w), now downtown Xi'an (w), Shaanxi province: imperial palace during the Sui Dynasty (who called it Daxing Palace - jc) and in the beginning of the Tang Dynasty (until A.D. 663). Area: 4.2 km² (1,040 acres), imperial section proper: 1.92 km² (474 acres).
  • Daming Palace (jc - "The Palace of the Great Brightness"), also known as the Eastern Apartments (F内, in (Tang) Chang'an (w), now downtown Xi'an (w), Shaanxi province: imperial palace of the Tang Dynasty after A.D. 663 (it was briefly named Penglai Palace (ܮc) between 663 and 705), but the prestigious Taiji Palace remained used for major state ceremonies such as coronations. Area: 3.11 km² (768 acres)
  • Kaifeng Imperial Palace (Fʤj内Ӯc), in Dongjing (F), now called Kaifeng (}), Henan province: imperial palace of the Northern Song Dynasty
  • Hangzhou Imperial Palace ({wj内Tc), in Lin'an ({w), now called Hangzhou (C{), Zhejiang province: imperial palace of the Southern Song Dynasty
  • Ming Imperial Palace (Gc), in Nanjing (n), Jiangsu province: imperial palace of the Ming Dynasty until 1421
  • The Purple Forbidden City (T), now known in China as Beijing's Old Palace (_ʬG宫, in Jingshi (ʮv), now called Beijing (_): imperial palace of the Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty from 1421 until 1924. Area: 720,000 m² (178 acres). "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace#China

Please note that Chinese's Ancient Tang Dynasty's Daming Palace is as large as 3.11 km² (768 acres). The Forbidden City we see in Beijing today is only 720,000 m² (178 acres).

• Daming Palace:

• The Han Dynasty's Weiyang Palace (c - "The Endless Palace, 7km/4 miles northeast of downtown Xi'an (w), Shaanxi province, China, imperial palace of the prestigious Western Han Dynasty for two centuries. This is the largest palace ever built on Earth, covering 4.8 km² (1,200 acres), which is 6.7 times the size of the current Forbidden City, or 11 times the size of the Vatican City.

I don't think it's accurate to say those pyramids are the largest ancient buildings. they can't compare to the ancient Chinese palaces in size. Maybe they are the largest pyramids. The Chinese's Ancient Imperial tombs were not pyramids but tombs. 

• Edited by coolstorm
    ���DZj�~�� ��������
    �� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
    Guests View Drop Down
      Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 15:22

coolstorm

good job!

ksy820326 View Drop Down
    Immortal Guard
    Immortal Guard

Quote ksy820326 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 02:55

****This advertising is in no way on topic and has been edited.  For permission to advertise a partner forum please contact the Administrators.***

vagabond

Edited by vagabond
    Ikki View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain
    Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2008 at 22:03

The Hadrian Wall was built with stone in six years, have 117 km, 3 metres wide and 5-6 (5,5) high; i think we can calculate the area and volume but i'm a horrible matematician, correct me if i'm wrong but we can stimate:

Area: 351 km2

Volume (high*wide*long): 1930500 m3

The volume is inferior to that of the Great Pyramid (2500000 m3).
    Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
    Suspended
    Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2008 at 14:44
    Some of the 1st-3rd dynasty mastabas of the early dynastic egyptian kings (c.3000 BC) are very large indeed. Examples and figures can be found in "Archaic Egypt" by a historian whose name I can't remember and I can't speak now because I've got to go to classics sorry
     Post Reply Post Reply