Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cambodia, land of temples

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reign View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote reign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cambodia, land of temples
    Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 14:44

angkor wat (early 12th century, suryavarman ll )

bayon ( late 12th century, jayavarman Vll )

pre rup ( mid 10th century,rajendravarman )

prasat kravan ( early 10th century, harshvarman l )

banteay srei ( mid 10th century, rajendravarman )

ta keo ( late 10th century, jayavarman V )

phnom bakheng ( late 9th century, yasovarman l )

angkor wat from phnom bakheng

bakong ( late 9th century, indravarman l )

banteay samre ( 1st half of the 12th century, suryavarman ll )

Edited by reign
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 22:20
Many More..
Please Go to http://www.n7w.com and vote for Angkor Wat to be one of the new 7 wonders.
Thanks u everyone very much.
terrace of Leper King.
http://www.allempires.com/
terrace of elephant

Prasat Sour Prat.

Thommanon Temple.

Baksei Chamkrong Temple.

Edited by raksmey
Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 21:09

I hope to visit Angkor Wat some day...

Do people still worship there?

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 21:32

As far as I know not a regular daily basis, but they do celebrate religious festivals there.  Or rather they did when I went, 1998. Back then there were only dirt roads to Seim Reap and no forms of transport other than pickup trucks 12-15 people crammed on the back, nine hours from the Thai border 6 by boat from Pnom Penn + an hour on a motorcycle. Nowadays I've heard they've got concrete roads 1.5 hours from the Thai border  3 from Bangkok, buses, thousands of beggars and package tourists busing in on day trips from Thailand by the tens of thousand.

I also thought Tha Phnom was much better than Ankor.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
reign View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 18:22

Did you mean Ta Phrom, the jungle covered ruin?

7 to 8 years do make a whole lot of difference. I hear stories all the time from people who visited Cambodia, for example 8 years ago, and have a very similar story to you. You'll be surprise of the changes Cambodia have gone through.

This is close to the end of 2005 going into 2006 and it's only getting better for Cambodia. Although it's a slooow process and won't modernize like our nieghbor Thailand anytime soon, it's progressing in a positive direction. On the downside, Cambodia still have the occaional butt busting dirt road (get your mind out of the gutter), however, thank god, have concrete road as well which will make traveling a whole lot easier and comfortable.

clip of Cambodia

http://www.archive.org/download/Khmerland/Khmerland_Intro.wm v

Edited by reign
reign View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 19:12
Originally posted by Itihaas

I hope to visit Angkor Wat some day...

Do people still worship there?

You get the occasional cambodian tourist who light inscent stick and pray infront of the buddha statue.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 20:16
Originally posted by reign

Did you mean Ta Phrom, the jungle covered ruin?

7 to 8 years do make a whole lot of difference. I hear stories all the time from people who visited Cambodia, for example 8 years ago, and have a very similar story to you. You'll be surprise of the changes Cambodia have gone through.

This is close to the end of 2005 going into 2006 and it's only getting better for Cambodia. Although it's a slooow process and won't modernize like our nieghbor Thailand anytime soon, it's progressing in a positive direction. On the downside, Cambodia still have the occaional butt busting dirt road (get your mind out of the gutter), however, thank god, have concrete road as well which will make traveling a whole lot easier and comfortable.                          

Yup Ta Phrom

When I went there the Thai/Cambodian border had only just opened up meaning it was possible to get to Cambodia from Thailand without flying.

I was living in Bangkok at the time. I took the train from Bangkok to Arunyapratet 30 baht 2 hours, got a motorcycle to the Poi Pet border, 10 mins 20 baht. Then got a pickup truck 12 people in the back luggage and all and it was completely bare metal, not even a cushion 9 hours to Siem Riep on dirt road 15 baht.

1st the dust came, it was a nightmare, then the heavens opened up for a couple of hours and we were sitting in inches of water, when the rain finally stopped, no more dust, we got flying mud instead. I arrived looking like a speedway rider. Two bridges on the way were blown and we crossed on two beams one either side of the truck for the wheels to balance on. We got stopped an searched by the Khmere Rouge (government loyal - not Pol Pot) and on one bridge several guys were waiting (no uniforms) with AK47's and 1 RPG-7 taking tolls from passing vehicles. On arrival I washed my clothes at the laundrette three time to remove the mud, it was too thick so threw them in the bin.

However I did get from Bangkok to Angor for 65 baht (1) and 13 hours.

And not my worst ever journey by far.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
reign View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 21:36

Preah Ko  (part of the Roluous group )

Lolei ( part of the rolous group)

Angkor Thom ( not an actual temple but a surrounding wall of the ancient capital)

Neak pean

Srah Srang

Baphuon

Edited by reign
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2011 at 13:34
An impressive sight, matching our own churches and cathedrals
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2011 at 15:43
Having been there I'd say outstrip them by quite a distance.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 20:12
Wasn't the king who built them a cruel warlord? It was ironic he used slave labor and human sacrifices to erect temples honoring a religion of peace
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply