Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Bulgarian ruler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: So who do you think was the Greatest Bulgarian ruler?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.45%]
15 [25.86%]
5 [8.62%]
24 [41.38%]
2 [3.45%]
3 [5.17%]
3 [5.17%]
1 [1.72%]
1 [1.72%]
2 [3.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Bulgarian ruler
    Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 05:20

Feel free to cast your vote.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 08:34

From my tiny knowledge of Bulgarian rulers the man who seems to stand out most atleast from the period of history I most studied is Krum when he smashed the Byzantines and killed the Emperor Nicephorus I at Pliska.

I dont know enough about Bulgaria to really argue more than that.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 21:45

simeon please.....

come on

Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 02:18
Originally posted by hansel

simeon please.....

come on

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 02:45
Anybody who has the great sense of humour to turn the skull of a Byzantine Emperor into a drinking cup, gets my vote!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 03:41

Originally posted by Komnenos

Anybody who has the great sense of humour to turn the skull of a Byzantine Emperor into a drinking cup, gets my vote!

But seriously, it wasn't an act directed at humiliating the emperor. Actually, it was an old pagan tradidition, according to which, if you drink from the skull of your foe you absorb his power. A little barbaric you might say, but that's the way the ball bounces.

Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 06:49
I think Khan Krum was the gratest. Below his rule Bulgaria was a small country beetwen Avars and Byzantium. He defeat Avars who weren't destroyed by Charlemagne and occupied the Hungarian Great Plane and Transylvania. He was the first Bulgarian ruler who could defeat Byzantine army.
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 07:20
Symeon was also a good leader. Byzantium gave him tribute and he had the same status as Byzantine emperors. His only one blunder was he wanted to occupy the 'inconquerable' Constaninople. In Hungary was taught in primary schools his two war against Hungarians (one of them was very unsuccosfully for Bulgarians but the other one was very destroying for us).
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 12:55

Originally posted by Nagyfejedelem

I think Khan Krum was the gratest. Below his rule Bulgaria was a small country beetwen Avars and Byzantium. He defeat Avars who weren't destroyed by Charlemagne and occupied the Hungarian Great Plane and Transylvania. He was the first Bulgarian ruler who could defeat Byzantine army.

Bulgaria had defeated the Byzantines many times long before khan Krum. Bulgaria was recognized by the Byzantine Empire in 681 because it crushed it in a war the previous year.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 13:36
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

Bulgaria had defeated the Byzantines many times long before khan Krum. Bulgaria was recognized by the Byzantine Empire in 681 because it crushed it in a war the previous year.

The battle of Pliska is one of the most famous if not THE most famous victory the Bulgars had over Byzantium, the fact the Byzantine emperor was killed makes it ven more dramatic, only a handful of Roman/Byzantine emperors were ever killed or captured in battle so its a big deal.

Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 14:07
From Roman emperors Decius, Valens were killled, Valerianus was captured-not more?
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 14:49

A few Emperors died in battle during civil wars like Gordian II and Philip the Arab the latter ironically was killed by Decius who would himself later be killed in battle as you said. Herennius Etruscus was Decius' son and joint emperor and he was killed with Decius so thats effectively 2 in 1 go.

So overall the following 7 Emperors died in combat with enemies outside the empire or were captured by them. If ive missed an Emperor then feel free to let me know but I think ive got them all.

(Discounting Emperors killed in civil wars/rebellions by other Romans etc.)

Decius 251AD the first Emperor killed in battle against barbarians.

Valerian 259/260AD captured and died in captivity with the Persians.

Julian the Apostate 363 killed as a result of a wound recieved in battle against the Persians.

Valens (eastern emperor) 378 killed in battle against the Goths at Adrianople.

Nicephorus I 811 killed by the Bulgars at the battle of Pliska.

Romanus IV 1071 captured by Turks at the battle of Manzikert.

Constantine XI 1453 killed by Turks during the siege of Constantinople.

Edited by Heraclius
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 14:53
Any good Bulgarian rulers from the Vardarska or Paionia region?
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 14:57

An  important thing - the Bulgarian army was defeated in Pliska. However, it organized an ambush for the retreating Byzantines in a mountain pass and that's where the Byzantine army was completely destroyed.

But tell me, what do you know about Bulgarian history? In Hungary or  how much  do you learn about Bulgaria in scool? I know a few things about Hungary and can name a few Hungarian kings. Infact, we've interacted a lot through history with the Hungarians, cuz' most of the time we had a common border and were neighbours.

strategos, khan Krum was from Panonia.

Edited by the Bulgarian
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 15:02

What other eastern Emperor was killed by the Bulgars other than Nicephorus I?  I dont think ive missed any, but if I have then please tell me who.

Furthermore Constantine XI was killed during the siege of Constantinople by the Turks.

Also Byzantine Emperors considered themselves Roman Emperors so must be put alongside earlier killed in battle Roman Emperors.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 15:07
I thought they were 2 killed by the Bulgars, but I've edited my post according to your post above. Still, I'll dowble-check on that to make sure.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 15:12

Stauracius was badly wounded at Pliska and became Emperor when his father Emperor Nicephorus I was killed, he was paralyzed by the wound but was soon deposed and retired to a monestary where he died 6 or so months later.

Perhaps this is the man you meant, but he didnt die on the field but months later and its not clear his wound was the reason why, besides he wasnt Emperor when he recieved the wound and wasnt Emperor when he died.

Edited by Heraclius
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 15:25

I'm not sure whether he is the second emperor,  suposedly killed by the Bulgarians in battle.

Another ruler, who diserves attention is tzar Kaloian. In 1205 he smashed the army of the newly established Latin Empire near Adrianople (Odrin in Bulgarian, Edrine in modern Turkey), captured the Emperor - Baldwin of Flanders and took him as a captive to the capital - Tarnovo. Baldwin died in a tower that still stands and is now known as Baldin's tower.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 17:09

I voted other, even though Krum sounds cool.

Lets go with the progenitor, Kuvrat.

Khan Kuvrat of the Onoghur created the first Bulgar empire. Most are familiar with his son Asparukh whom crossed the Danube into the west.

The other son of Kuvrat, Bayan took refuge under the Kazars but eventually his descendants laid claim to Greater Bulgaria in Kazan. They were, however, eventually crushed by the mongols. Their descendants are the Chuvash.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 19:21
Originally posted by Heraclius

Romanus IV 1071 captured by Turks at the battle of Manzikert.

Romanus IV was released by Alp Arslan, returned home, but was, following the good old traditions of the Byzantine Empire, blinded by his erstwhile Co-Emperor and successor Michael VII, and sent to exile, where he died shortly after from the wounds he had received during the rather clumsily executed operation.
Maybe we should put together a list a list of Roman, icluding Byzantine, Emperors who died of old age, peacefully in their sleep. It might be equally short than the above.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>