Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The real Edward I of England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The real Edward I of England
    Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 11:42
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Edward I I beleive would have won at Stirling if he would have have not been in France at the time.
LOL
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 12:07
Originally posted by Heraclius

Remember though this is 13th/14th century England not 21st century Britain, we cant judge an invasion by our standards today, wars back then were fought often for the most trivial of reasons or on very very tiny justification.

Englands invasion of Scotland be it for just the sake of conquest or whatever cant be condemned by us now, remember this was a time when cities were sacked mercilessly and populations massacred if they resisted, prisoners of war could expect torture and execution, religion controlled all and those who opposed it could expect to be burned alive. It was a totally different world back then.

I wouldn't say that the Scots were invaded unwarrantly, from an English point of view. They were siding with France in their quarrels with England and had been doing so for some time before this. The English had every right to secure their northern border if they had a track record of aligning themselves with their enemies when a war came about.
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 05:26
What's that phrase - your enemies' enemy is your ally, or something along those lines.
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 22:05
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I have a question which I hope someone can answer. Why is it that Edward Longshanks is known to history as Edward I, King of England. Shouldn't that be reserved for an earlier King Edward of England, namely the man most popularly known as Edward the Confessor. Why does Longshanks get called the First, and not the Confessor?  Just seems a bit incorrect to me.
Edward the Elder (r. 899-924)
Edward the Martyr (r. 975-978)
Edward the Confessor (r. 1042-1066)
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 18:48

The movie the Patriot was  so predictable I couldn't bear to watch it through to the end. I watched up to the part where Heath Ledger (Gibson's son in the movie) was killed and then switched off the TV to do something more productive.

And yes there is a bit much Anglo-bashing in the media. Ever noticed what proportion of "bad guys" in movies and on tv have English accents compared to good guys (who always have American accents).

LOL! oh my god! i always always always say that , i mean quite simply lets take walt Disney for instance , most  ( i have yet to find an exception actually ) famous cartoon villains have a British accent.
i mean Jaffar in aladin had one , what the hell is up with that? :P
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 03:02
Yes, but Basil Rathbone made such a good villain!!!!
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 10:10
Originally posted by Melisende

lol true but it sucks when kids hear your accent and think your evil , i mean it doesn't matter to me since i hate kids anyway but..its not entirely fair to other people :P
btw love the flambouyant style in you recent posts in topics , go melisende!!! *cheers* ClapLOL
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 05:44
Thanks Duchess - sometimes historians take themselves way too serious.  History should be fun!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by duchess

lol true but it sucks when kids hear your accent and think your evil , i mean it doesn't matter to me since i hate kids anyway but..its not entirely fair to other people :P
btw love the flambouyant style in you recent posts in topics , go melisende!!! *cheers* ClapLOL
No-one who hates children and dogs can be all bad. W.C.Fields
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 11:31
Originally posted by King John

Going back to the original question though, Edward I is so named because the numbering of kings started with Norman kings. Before the Norman Conquest kings were known by names like Aethelred 'the Unready' or Alfred 'the Great' or Harold Godwinson.

But Edward also has a nickname: Longshanks.

In fact, the numbers were only added in the nineteenth century, to make it easier for historians to remember them. I guess they thought starting at William was the easiest, as the pre-conquest royalty is kindof complcated, bloodline and powerbase wise... Wink

And in Anglo-Saxon times, the name would have been Eadweard, both Ead- and -weard being very common pre- and suf-fixes in Anglo-Saxon times.

Originally posted by heikstheo

Edward the Elder was king of Wessex. You cannot count him within the line of English kings. That would make it real complicated. Imagine two kingdoms having a king with the same name at once! Wink

Edited by Aelfgifu - 24-May-2007 at 11:50

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 18:18
Edward the Elder and Edward the Confessor - both Kings of England - so then poor old Edward I should really be King Edward III.

As you say, Aelfgifu, much too complicated.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 18:43
If going by Aelfgifu's logic Edward I should be Edward II because Edward the Confessor was the only Edward (pre-Conquest) who was king of England - Danelaw, Wessex, et al. Edward the Elder was only king of Wessex so he doesn't count as king of all England.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 20:55
I was under the impression that Edward the Elder was acknowledged as "King of all the English".

He was recognised as overlord by the Scots, Welsh, and the northern Kings.  He was King not just of Wessex but "of the Angles and Saxons".

Therefore that would technically make him the first King Edward - and Edward the Confessor would thus be King Edward II.

Edited by Melisende - 24-May-2007 at 21:00
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 06:44

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by King John

Going back to the original question though, Edward I is so named because the numbering of kings started with Norman kings. Before the Norman Conquest kings were known by names like Aethelred 'the Unready' or Alfred 'the Great' or Harold Godwinson.

But Edward also has a nickname: Longshanks.

In fact, the numbers were only added in the nineteenth century, to make it easier for historians to remember them.
From the preamble to the Act of 1689, commonly known as the Bill of Rights:
WHEREAS the Lords Spiritual and Temporal and Commons assembled at Westminster, lawfully, fully and freely representing all the estates of the people of this realm, did upon the thirteenth day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred eighty-eight present unto their Majesties, then called and known by the names and style of William and Mary, prince and princess of Orange, being present in their proper persons, a certain declaration in writing made by the said Lords and Commons in the words following, viz.:

Whereas the late King James the Second, by the assistance of divers evil counsellors, judges and ministers employed by him, did endeavour to subvert and extirpate the Protestant religion and the laws and liberties of this kingdom; 

(My italics)
NB that's 1689 new style (year begins Jan 1), 1688 old style (year begins March 21).
I don't know when they started numbering kings but it was certainly long before the nineteenth century.

Originally posted by heikstheo

Edward the Elder was king of Wessex. You cannot count him within the line of English kings.
He was an English king (though I don't terribly like using 'English' as a designation this early). The issue is whether he was king of England or not.

Edited by gcle2003 - 25-May-2007 at 06:47
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 10:57
The issue is whether he was king on an United England. Yes, he claimed that title, but his hold on the north was shaky and he was kicked out again several times. It was not until Athlestan that you can really start believing claims of being 'king of England'.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 21:23

What's that phrase - your enemies' enemy is your ally, or something along those lines.
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
Ted Heiks
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 21:52
Thanks Ted!

That's the one I was after.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 22:02
I prefer the use of the word "ally" rather than "friend" in that saying, I find it more accurate. There is a big difference between a friend and an ally.

Perhaps we need to make the distinction between the "King of England" and an "English King".
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 05:39

I prefer the use of the word "ally" rather than "friend" in that saying, I find it more accurate. There is a big difference between a friend and an ally.
True enough, in international politics, "friends" can be very temporary.
Ted Heiks
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 06:05

Perhaps we need to make the distinction between the "King of England" and an "English King".
Perhaps someone can help flesh out a thumbnail of early Anglo-Saxon history. The British king Vortigern first imported Anglo-Saxon mercenaries to the British Isles in 449, thus sparking off the Arthurian wars. There seems to be some reason why the year 529 keeps sticking out in my mind. Was this the point by which the Anglo-Saxons had all of the area we now know as England? At any rate, there was a period of Anglo-Saxon history known as the Age of the Heptarchy (the seven kingdoms). The seven kingdoms of the old Anglo-Saxon heptarchy were East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Mercia, Northumbria, Sussex, and Wessex. Periodically, one of the kings of the old Anglo-Saxon heptarchy would reduce the other six to submission and take the title of Bretwalda. In 802, Egbert King of Wessex came to the throne and by 829, he had taken over the entirety of the old Anglo-Saxon heptarchy. The king-lists of England usually cite Egbert (r. 802-839), a distant ancestor of the sitting Queen, as the first Anglo-Saxon king of a united England.

Ted Heiks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>