Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Comparing Palestinian and Armenian causes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparing Palestinian and Armenian causes
    Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 21:03
Originally posted by strategos

Originally posted by kotumeyil

On the other hand, in the case of Palestine, a totally alien people came and took the land depending on the idea that it was the promised land since some thousand years ago. .

there not totally alien, because there was still a substantial amount of jews in the area before it became a full jewish state of Israel.

the number was 15 000 orthodox jews that is not by any standard substantian - there were over 700 000 christian and muslim arabs in palestine - this is all at the beginning of the first immigration movements after the first world war.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 10:14
Last Updated: Thursday, 13 October 2005, 09:56 GMT 10:56 UK
Armenia heirs win $17m Axa payout
Armenian girls holding torches during 'genocide' commemoration
Armenia wants Turkey to admit the killings were "genocide"
The descendants of Armenians who died in mass killings by Ottoman Turks have agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit against French insurance giant Axa.

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4337462.stm

So, does anyone have a life insurance policy, dating that age?

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 17:21
Azerbaijan: Soldier Killed In Ethnic Armenian Attack

10 October 2005 -- Azerbaijan's military said today that an Azerbaijani soldier was killed during a firefight with ethnic Armenian forces near the disputed enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Defense Ministry spokesman Ilgar Verdiev said the 19-year-old conscript was killed on 9 October in the gunfire exchange on the cease-fire line that separates Azerbaijani and Armenian-backed troops.

Verdiev said the Armenian forces started the shooting, and Azerbaijani forces responded. Armenian officials could not be immediately be reached for comment.

Nagorno-Karabakh and swaths of surrounding territory inside Azerbaijan have been under control of ethnic Armenians since a six-year war against Azerbaijan ended with a 1994 cease-fire.

The enclave's status remains unresolved, and tensions remain high along the cease-fire line with both sides regularly exchanging fire.

(AP)

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 23:55
Ok we heard a lot of opinions on this topic, so i have another question...more specific and more appropriate.

Compare the Palestinian struggle with the Armenian-Azeri war over Nagorno-Karabagh. Are they essentially the same struggle or not? What are their differences and similarities, and what do you think should be the outcome of both situations?
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 19:15
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

But the discussion is real nonsense. We are repeating ourselves again and again by regular time periods of peace. Christians were never a majority there. Ottoman Empire settled Kurds in Eastern anatolia to balance the Christian population long before the declining period. Armenians were expanded all over the Empire.

Armenia became a Christian state in 301 A.D., and the Roman/Byzantine Empires spread Christianity throughout the area. How were Muslims a majority before the Arab and later Seljuk invasions, and by subsequent invasions of Turks?

How were they even a majority in what is geographically known as Western Armenia? This question is answered by, as you said, Ottoman "balancing" policies.

And about Kars....it was an Armenian kingdom throughout the Middle Ages, and all of its neighboring kingdoms were also Armenian kingdoms. How did the Volga-Bulgars build Kars while they were surrounded by Armenian kingdoms? You're making a mind-boggling claim. Also, Armenia was much bigger during Byzantine times than it was now or even during Ottoman times. Geographically and Culturally, it was quite a large block of land, extending west past the Euphrates. The Arab invasions and the spread of Islam changed all that. That is why many people living on those lands are actually Islamicized Armenians. One such group is the Hamshenis (Black Sea region, also in parts of Kazakhstan), who are ethnically Armenian but they are Muslims, therefore not counted as Armenians (which is a shame). This is the only group of Armenian Muslims who were able to hang onto their Armenian identity, many groups of Armenians throughout the centuries have been assimilated mainly by Islam into neighboring nations. The Hamshenis were left over from the WWI Ottoman period, when they gave the ultimatum to some Armenians to either leave or accept Islam. Armenians were at their smallest population after the 1915 "relocations", numbering at less than 3 million people worldwide. Before Ottoman times, and especially before 1900, it was quite the reverse.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 08:00

Kars was an Armenian kingdom until the Medieval times, before the Seljuk conquests. The city was founded by Armenians.

The city was founded by Karsak Bulgars as I explained briefly before. Read my post again. Armenian Kingdom wasnt an important political union. It was just the remaining Armenian population after the Roman rule.

How many of these gangs do you think there were?

Not so much. Generally the peasent villagers who unified with the Russian equipped gangs, terrorizing their own villages.

There were not even 10,000 Armenian men in Anatolia after 1915

It isnt a correct number. There were lots of Armenians left there, especially in Tunceli and Cilicia. We still have lots of Armenians in Turkey, in Eastern Anatolia, Istanbul, Kastamonu, Kayseri etc.

Ottoman Empire disarmed almost all the Armenians

Russians rearmed them.

I might be wrong, but it sounds like youre justifying the deportation of women and children because of these small Armenian gangs. Muslim gangs attacked the U.S. on 9/11, so should we deport all Muslim women and children? If youre not justifying this, then what are you trying to prove by your statements? Please explain.  Im not here to argue, but to try to understand.

I couldnt understand how you related my last post with such a conclusion. I was talking about the Armenian population and actions of Eastern Anatolia, and against Ottoman authority.

These werent small Armenian gangs. These were Russian supported Armenian troops by the leadership of Tashnaks. I know we have discussed all these issues enoughly before.

Ottoman Empire was fighting in more than ten battlesides when the Armenian gangs became to terrorize Eastern anatolia. The sick man of Europe, busy with all imperialist powers trying to share it, also has to deal with one of its own subjects uniting with the enemy, massacring its civilians. Unable to stop the violence, 90.000 Ottoman soldiers die in the Eastern battlesideside because of freezing. During a war situation, the sick man tries to find a solution.

Noone can justify any actions against civilians, or any actions took against an inner conflicts, supported by the enemy, during the situation of war. But everyone can realize that the last chance of an empire of more than 600 years old, the sick man, to survive was the law of "tehcir" (exile).

Christians were slightly a majority

During an earlier, greater discussion about the same topic before, Alp Arslan have introduced us the original Ottoman documents, proving the only city with a dominant Armenian population was Bitlis. If I can find them, I'll try to post them again.

But the discussion is real nonsense. We are repeating ourselves again and again by regular time periods of peace. Christians were never a majority there. Ottoman Empire settled Kurds in Eastern anatolia to balance the Christian population long before the declining period. Armenians were expanded all over the Empire.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 03:09
Originally posted by Artaxiad

It is unfortunate that Ataturk changed the Turkish language so drastically. He cut all links Turks had with 15th century - early 20th century Turkey. I can still read (but not fully understand, of course) Armenian texts from the Middle Ages.

In fact, if we exclude the script change, there isn't much change in popular language. For example I can easily understand folk tales in Ottoman script. But the high literature language and the formal language was very different from the popular language. What is done is mostly using the popular language in formal writings more... 

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 02:59

But the question still remains...how are the Palestinian and Armenian struggles different ideologically? Dont Palestinian gangs murder innocent Jews to make the world notice their peoples' struggle? Is this different from Armenian gangs doing the same to Turks? Explain.

Are you asking for 1915 or now?Two is much different.

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 02:51

It is unfortunate that Ataturk changed the Turkish language so drastically. He cut all links Turks had with 15th century - early 20th century Turkey. I can still read (but not fully understand, of course) Armenian texts from the Middle Ages.

You can't just dismiss the Blue Book by saying it's a propaganda book. If it's really a propaganda book, there are many other old books and documents about the same subject.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 01:59

Maybe the lowness of the Armenian population in the Ottoman statistics was because of the fact that the non-muslims usually showed their own numbers less for not paying much taxes. I read something about that...

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 01:56
Originally posted by Artaxiad

That article was specifically made in order to answer claims made by turks and sites like tallarmeniantales...

You can't just group all the Muslims together (not all Muslims were Turks) and compare them with the number of Armenians. Comparing the number of Turks and Armenians would be much fairer, and Armenians were more numerous. You can also compare the number of christians and muslims. Christians were slightly a majority. All this is according to the ''Blue Book'' written by Bryce.

Don't you think that Abdul Hamid-era Ottoman authorities would reduce the number of Armenians, in order to make it look like Armenians don't deserve independance?

By the way, though I can read Ottoman script to some extent, I can only read printed writings. The document is handwritten...

You mean you can read the Ottoman banners on that picture I posted? The word in the middle is ''msawat''. The 2 other words  are not completely viewable. This picture is from Constantinople. There are similar pictures of celebrations from other cities too. There many other pictures in a CD I bought during an exhibition of Armenian historical postcards.

I think the number of the Armenians were higher than the Ottoman claims and less than the Armenian claims. I'm not sure if the "Blue Book" is a reliable source, because its author admitted that it was used as a propaganda tool throughout the war.

I can read those words on the banners. I saw many of those pics. What is written is "hurriyet-musavat-uhuvvet" = "liberty-equality-fraternity" but today we use "ozgurluk-esh*tlik-kardeshlik" for the same meaning... 

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 22:49

That article was specifically made in order to answer claims made by turks and sites like tallarmeniantales...

You can't just group all the Muslims together (not all Muslims were Turks) and compare them with the number of Armenians. Comparing the number of Turks and Armenians would be much fairer, and Armenians were more numerous. You can also compare the number of christians and muslims. Christians were slightly a majority. All this is according to the ''Blue Book'' written by Bryce.

Don't you think that Abdul Hamid-era Ottoman authorities would reduce the number of Armenians, in order to make it look like Armenians don't deserve independance?

By the way, though I can read Ottoman script to some extent, I can only read printed writings. The document is handwritten...

You mean you can read the Ottoman banners on that picture I posted? The word in the middle is ''msawat''. The 2 other words  are not completely viewable. This picture is from Constantinople. There are similar pictures of celebrations from other cities too. There many other pictures in a CD I bought during an exhibition of Armenian historical postcards.

Edited by Artaxiad
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 20:08

Armenians were always a minority in the eastern provinces since historical records of citizens were taken by the Ottoman government back in the late 1800s. In the six vilayets, muslims outnumbered Armenians 4-1.

"Part of the reason for the low numbers of Armenians in the East was the dispersion of the Armenian people. Armenians had been migrating for centuries, a movement that continued well into modern times. Of course, Armenians had moved into Russian Armenia. They had begun to leave Anatolia in large numbers in the time of the 1827-28 Turco-Russian War and had continued to move throughout the period of the 1877-78 war. In Russia, the Anatolian Armenians took the place of Turks and other Muslims who had been forced by the Russians to migrate into the Ottoman Empire." http://www.tallarmeniantale.com/mccarthy-AnatolianArmenians. htm

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 19:55

The Turks were clearly a minority in Eastern Anatolia. The Armenians, compared to any other ethnic group, formed a majority in all the areas they claimed. Bryce's ''Blue Book'' shows the population of the ''Eastern Provinces'' in detail. Read this for more info on the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Armenian_Population

The attempted assassination of Sultan Abdul Hamid took place after the massacre of around 200 000 Armenians. Funny that you mention the assassination attempt, but you don't mention the exact date - July 21, 1905.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 17:12

I do not want to go into the history between our two peoples. We can continue to read both sides documentation on the subject instead.

As far as any similarities between Palestinian and Armenian struggles? The answer lies in the question. We see the Palestinian pursuit of nationhood as a struggle. Yet you chose to use 'struggle' in the same sentence for Armenian claims. The two are different in the sense that one seeks its autonomy and the other already has theirs. One is about the future, the other is about what?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 16:31

Even the city name "Kars" comes from the Velentur tribe of Bulgar Turks, who immigrated from modern Dagestan to Eastern anatolia. The oymak of "Karsak" (the Karsak clan of Velentur) have settled in the area about B.C. 130-127

Kars was an Armenian kingdom until the Medieval times, before the Seljuk conquests. The city was founded by Armenians. What you stated is irrelevant to the argument. There were plenty of Islamic states in and around Armenia before the Seljuk invasions, none of them were Turkish...they were Arabic kingdoms, left over from their empire. The Arabs were fully driven out of Armenia before the Seljuk conquests.

Crosses were burried with the massacred Turkish villagers, to show them as Armenians.

If the Armenians could kill that many Turks and had that much power, trust me, there would be no Armenians being deported. This obviously wasnt the case.

How many of these gangs do you think there were? Youre stating massacre after massacre as if the Armenian gangs were more than a couple of thousand people. If we massacred entire cities like you claim, we would need a good 10,000 men to do it. There were not even 10,000 Armenian men in Anatolia after 1915, let alone men that fought. Most people were lucky if they were able to run away with their lives. And you forget the Ottoman Empire disarmed almost all the Armenians BEFORE WWI because they said they needed as much firepower as they could get. So the Armenians sacrificed their personal property for the good of the empire, and therefore, 99% of Armenians didnt even have guns.

Also, there was a heavy presence of the Ottoman Army in Eastern Anatolia, gaurding against the Russian front. So these gangs that you are referring to were very small in number, and technologically backward.

I might be wrong, but it sounds like youre justifying the deportation of women and children because of these small Armenian gangs. Muslim gangs attacked the U.S. on 9/11, so should we deport all Muslim women and children? If youre not justifying this, then what are you trying to prove by your statements? Please explain.  Im not here to argue, but to try to understand.

But the question still remains...how are the Palestinian and Armenian struggles different ideologically? Dont Palestinian gangs murder innocent Jews to make the world notice their peoples' struggle? Is this different from Armenian gangs doing the same to Turks? Explain.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 09:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 09:37
Yeah, sorry for my english...
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 09:34

... a suicast was committed against Abdulhamid Khan

I think you meant assassination

Edited by kotumeyil
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 09:23

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

But by that rationality, the Ottoman Empire moved many Turks into Eastern Anatolia to make themselves the majority. Turks arent from Eastern Anatolia so how did they get there? Ottomans moved them there. They wouldnt be able to take western Armenia if they didnt move all those people there, and then "relocate" all the Armenians of Anatolia. That is basically what they did, even the Turkish government doesnt deny that one. And now they say "Too bad, theres already Turks living there", well, Jews say the same thing about Palestinians, "Too bad, theres already Jews living there." But most Turks support Palestine, but denounce Armenians. The two struggles are almost identical, with the only difference being Armenians struggle has been going on longer. Correct me if i am wrong.

They were from Eastern Anatolia. When Seljuks conquered Eastern Anatolia, most Turkmens have settled in the region. Erzurum was land of the Akkoyunlu State was found in Eastern Anatolia. Artuklu State was also found there. The whole Bayndr tribe of Oguz have settled in the region with their follower tribes. Chepni, Pechenek, Salur, Afshar and Ighdir tribes also have settled in the region from Sivas to Azerbaijan.

Even the city name "Kars" comes from the Velentur tribe of Bulgar Turks, who immigrated from modern Dagestan to Eastern anatolia. The oymak of "Karsak" (the Karsak clan of Velentur) have settled in the area about B.C. 130-127. My grandmas family are from Kars, belong to the Chepni clan, settled there even before the Seljuk conquest.

The Tashnak gangs have ruined Kars. They burned the villages where they lived with Turks before. To prove their ethnic dominiance in the region, they massacred the local population which they couldnt exile in that conditions. The Russian army exiled 200 Turks who were resisting against the Tashnaks. Since Enver Pasha couldnt help the city after the disaster of Sarikamish, the Turkish population of Kars was even below the past century's.

The British didnt want the Turkish civil government of Kars, uniting the region from Batum to Nahcevan, to stay alive. so they ordered the Armenians east of Arpachay to setle in Kars, so that they would occupy the dominant population. If we are to look at the original Ottoman governmental documents, we'll see that the Armenian population was never a majority in the Eastern provinces, except Bitlis.

So practically, Armenians gangs supported by Russian and British were terrorizing the region, and massacring the local population. The massive graves around Kars are full of babies. Tashnaks have ruined their own churches to use the ignorant romanticizm of Western society, to show Muslims were massacring Christians. Crosses were burried with the massacred Turkish villagers, to show them as Armenians. A total western conspiracy to push Ottoman forces on civilian Armenians, and to apply the treaty of Sevres, with their puppet colonies of Armenia and Kurdistan.

If that's what you have learned in Turkey (that Armenians were loyal during Young Turk rule), then why are Turks in general still accusing the Armenians, and saying that they wanted to create thier own state after 1908?

Just look at how Armenians were celebrating the Constitution. On the flag, it's written Freedom, Equalty, Justice. If only they had known what was coming to them.

Armenians of Istanbul were always loyal to the government. Maybe because they were the government with Rums. Anatolian population was starving and the high elite class Armenians, Turks, Rums were causing these for their own benefits.

The regular Armenian society of Anatolia have been loyal, useful, and adventageous within the Ottoman society until the western imperialists and Russians have discovered them. Armenian terrorism was becoming organized by Russian support after the 1880s. The first rebellion was in 1890 in Erzurum. It was followed by several civil rebellions in several Anatolian cities. The Ottoman bank was invaded and a suicast was committed against Abdulhamid Khan. Even in a single city, Mus, there were about 22.000 Turks massacred in the rebellions. that number have been multiplied with the following rebellions all over Anatolia, and finally Adana.

Millet-i Sadka suddenly became Millet-i Ihanet. If anyone can read Otoman script, have a look at this link.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>