Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ever wondered how Farsi sounds like to non-farsi speakers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever wondered how Farsi sounds like to non-farsi speakers?
    Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 01:35

Just wanted to ask if anyone wondered how farsi sounded like? Like, for example for us Japanese, Chinese sounds very weird and aggressive e.t.c Does anyone know how farsi sounds? I guess you have to be a non-farsi speaker to answer this truly.

In my opinion it is closest to Anatolian Turkish.

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 03:14

I think people would mistaken Farsi for French.  Farsi spoken in Iran is very soft and it has a hint of French in the way they pronouce things, at least in my opinion.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 03:51

There is no language called Farsi!

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 07:47
Depends on the accent.  It can sound like anything from Chinese to Italian to Indian. lol.
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 10:38
It always reminds me a mix of Kurdish and Uzbek. LoL
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:14
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

There is no language called Farsi!

Parsi, sorry.  Or would you prefer Darbari/Dari?   Mazrat Mekhayam.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:24
I think he means in the English language there is no such word as Farsi, it should be Persian.  BUT, the word Farsi has actually become part of the English vocabulary thanks to the recent Iranian migrations to the West and their reference to thier langauge to non-Iranians: Farsi.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:47

You know most Iranians I know call their language Farsi.  Afghans too instead of even calling their language "Dari" they call it Farsi.

The only people I know that say they speak "Persian" are Bahais. Im not sure why.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:49
It sounds beautiful to my bilingual--English and Spanish-- ears.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 13:08
I say Persian too just because i believe it is more proper and more recognisable.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 13:33

I think just because it is more recognizeable in the west to say "Persian" it doesnt make it anymore right than saying Farsi.  On the other hand, in terms of ethnicity, its the opposite.

Most Iranians i know in the US, dont even call themselves Iranians, but label themselves as "Persians." 

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 13:39

Yea that is true (and annoying to me), I consider my ethnicity as Iranian because it is just that, a mix of Kurdish and Persian.

Here is a Persian online radio station for those that have never heard Persian, excuse the corniness of some of the music.

http://hear.aryalive.com:8000/listen.pls

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 13:56

http://www.khamenei.ir/

As you see even our great leader uses Parsi not Farsi (the arabicized version of Parsi)!

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 14:03
with all the due respect,but sounds funny
I recall to my boss Kiarash talking with his family
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 06:47

in this site  http://www.leader.ir/   

your great leader is using Farsi not Parsi, which means that there is a language called Farsi

------

about the topic i think Persian sounds smooth (the official TV once) but not like the French which is more like baby talking.

Persian langage is  a great languge.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 06:33

Hi again Friends
In Cyprus, Some one asked us, " What is ur Language? "
" I Knew Turkish & Arabic, but is not like them"
" your language suonds as Melody"

it was his openion about Parsi

Cengiz Kagan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Cengiz Kagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 07:45
I speak nor understand farsi.

To me it sounds like Hebraic.

Edited by Cengiz Kagan
TANRI TURKU KORUSUN
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 08:41
There is no such language as 'Hebraic', bright spark.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 15:51

He meant Hebrew I guess.

Persian sounds softer than Semitic languages, harsher than European ones, with lots of "sh" and "kh"s. But a soft harmony.

To me, it is a beautiful language, unlike Arabic or Hebrew (in terms of sounding)...

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 04:42
It sounds like Kurdish, but softer. I like the way it sounds, and I want to learn it at a proper time...
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>