Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering Byzantium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discovering Byzantium
    Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 16:04

Anyone who says such a dumb, contradictory statement deserves it.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 19:35
 ^^ Thats what I said.....after I punched him 
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 18:20

Originally posted by Heraclius

Ive actually punched somebody with that kind of attitude  (not a proper fight) he was just getting on my nerves and he clearly deserved it

Whoa, there's still warrior in you yet. That namesake of yours is rubbing off a bit . The only fights I have been in have been because the other person was stupid or drunk (or a rather sad combination of the two).

People seriously underestimate history, many regarding it as some airy-fairy artsy trash with no hard practical value. What they fail to realize is that history is the root of just about all knowledge, nearly everything that can be learnt about has a history which is always useful to know of. I am doing a double degree of Commerce/Arts, while my Commerce mates will understand the theories of their course well enough their general lack of enthusiasm for the humanities is going to cost them career-wise. They will always have a niche to fill in accounting, marketing, human resource management etc. But if they want the top jobs they need to be wordly, cultured, culturally aware and have such humanist talents which are so important in today's rapidly changing and inceasingly globalized world.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:15

The lack of general knowledge (historical in particulair) that High school students & grads have today is scary. I have employed over the years many young people(the nature of the buisness) and when we are bored waiting for orders etc. we play a few games music trivia (they are better at this) and real or fictional/dead or alive. So many have never even heard of say Richard the lion heart let a lone telling whether they are real or fictional. sad stae of affairs.

you are right Constantine your arts degree may be the differance that gets you that job in the end when all other things are equal. It will certainlly make you better equipt. to hand international clients.   

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 21:24

The really scary thing is that even history that is common knowledge amongst older generations e.g who Caeser, Alexander the Great were etc are sometimes ive encountered totally unknown to people my own age from my generation.

Dawn pointed out Richard the Lionheart one of the most famous historical figures of medieval times, you'd expect especially and englishman/brit to know who he was and maybe a little knowledge on what he did. However that is sadly not always the case.

Its the kind of info you just have you dont necessarily remember being told it you just know it, like who Winston Churchill was or Henry VIII, I have however been stunned when ive encountered people here whove never heard of them from England!  Its mystifying how people can exist in this country for 18 years say and have never heard of Winston Churchill, I'd of thought it was physically impossible

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 22:15
Originally posted by Justinian

I looked through my schools' entire catalog and of course there weren't any byzantine courses.  I had to settle for a world civilization class that devotes a chapter to byzantium.  I'm definitely transferring, by the way where do you go to school? 

UIC

yeah the prof. that specifies in medieval hist is teachn it i took two previous coures with him not bad

just he seems to adhere to the theory that europe developed independently
not too much credit given to an andalus except to borrowing of theological writing

typical western views on that period

but that byzantine class should be interesting
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 22:26
Originally posted by Heraclius

The really scary thing is that even history that is common knowledge amongst older generations e.g who Caeser, Alexander the Great were etc are sometimes ive encountered totally unknown to people my own age from my generation.

Dawn pointed out Richard the Lionheart one of the most famous historical figures of medieval times, you'd expect especially and englishman/brit to know who he was and maybe a little knowledge on what he did. However that is sadly not always the case.

Its the kind of info you just have you dont necessarily remember being told it you just know it, like who Winston Churchill was or Henry VIII, I have however been stunned when ive encountered people here whove never heard of them from England!  Its mystifying how people can exist in this country for 18 years say and have never heard of Winston Churchill, I'd of thought it was physically impossible

This kind of stuff happens all the time. The best one was one day while plaing afor mentioned game I asked one of our young dishwashers if Julius Ceasar was real or fictional and he said fictional and I told him no he was real and we had a five minute argument about it . His potition was that he was just a charater in the dull play they did in english class. I couldn't stop laughing at this. The kid was normally such a bright one.

Edited by Dawn
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 22:47
Yeah? That's nothing. My mother once asked me who the victor of the American Civil War was.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 23:39
I can't understand how a person can graduate high school and not know some of these people or events.  You'd think by just showing up they would learn something.  I once took a geography test on Europe my senior year of high school, it was the easiest test I ever took, but a girl I knew didn't know where england was... or France or Germany.  My 13 year old sister is smarter than college students I know.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 03:53
 Byzantium is one great empire existing for almost 1,100 years and it continued the Roman civilization although it became Greek after the reign of Justinian. I have a book Byzantine Civilization from Sir Steven Runciman and I'm so fascinated with this civilization. I also got a National Geographic Magazine Dec.1983 issue featuring the Byzantine Empire and I really felt I have lived as a Byzantine in the past (talking about reincarnation). Sadly, when it fell in 1453, it was a brutal end for them. Talking about the great medieval age, the age of knights, feudalism, wars, romance and majesties..I don't know when the Byzantines were conquered by the Ottomans, they didn't try to regain there Empire. Historians say that Russia inherits the Byzantine birthright.. I think most of the Greeks consider the Byzantine empire as there greatest time in history but hey they inherit the Roman Empire (Eastern) while the West is decaying..I wonder why there is no movie about the Byzantines ( You see the mini-series Rome at HBO). Hope some film producers will consider making a film about the Byzantine Empire preferably during the time of Justinian( 527-565 AD). For me the Byzantine Empire contributed a lasting legacy in our history and civilization. I consider it the most durable Empire ever beating the likes of Roman and Mongol Empires... Byzantium lives in my heart!!!
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 11:40

Welcome to Allempires, Byzanz!  It is great to have another Byzantinist on board.

Originally posted by Byzanz

I also got a National Geographic Magazine Dec.1983 issue featuring the Byzantine Empire

Is this the issue that also features a story on the Orthodox monastic community of Mount Athos?  I have it as well. This is a great issue with some beautiful photographs.

I wonder why there is no movie about the Byzantines ( You see the mini-series Rome at HBO). Hope some film producers will consider making a film about the Byzantine Empire preferably during the time of Justinian( 527-565 AD).

I echo your thoughts here!  I have wondered for years why Byzantium has not been either the subject/location for a movie, or why it has not even been shown or mentioned in the context of other historical epics.  I would like to see a movie on the fall of 1453.  It would be perfect for a dramatic, action-packed epic!

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 13:07

Perhaps Byzantium has recieved a blessing in disguise, by not having movies made about it or tv dramas there hasnt been a chance for it to be raped for the sake of ratings.

Look at the people who watch historical epics, they for the most part couldnt care less nevermind understand the importance of the events they are watching, all they care about is if it is fun to watch.

Thats a key reason why I think alot of *epics* have flopped lately, to those who dont particularly enjoy history and are just looking to see a good action packed movie. They arent going to appreciate the court intrigue, politics, deep religious aspects and general way of life that so characterises Byzantium. All they want to see is a big fight, not caring whether or not it was important in the history and survival of the Byzantine empire, just aslong as it justifies their 4.00 admission fee with enough blood and mayhem.

Roman history has been raped almost beyond recognition to suit people who just want to see a big battle, fictional love affair etc. A true depiction of history will only truly interest those who appreciate it and study it, Byzantium has avoided the spotlight so is virtually uneffected.

I consider this a blessing.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 21:49
When I think of Byzantium I think of ancestry and hertitage or at least from my Greek side but I am sure my Anglo ancestors, in the west, were influenced by this great civilization directly and indirectly.
I would like to know more about Basil so are there any primary sourecs similar to the Alexiad I can read?
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
The_Last_Byzantine View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote The_Last_Byzantine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 10:06
And now i still clearly remember the time spent with my grandfather.He was an Asia Minor refugee who had come in Bulgaria and married a bulgarian woman.He taught me greek as he knew it from his parents.I remember when being 7-8 years old he used to tell me often stories from his childhood.Later when i grew up he used to say "We are greeks but Greece is not our motherland.Our motherland is lost forever."  I became curious to learn as much as it is possible about the history of Anatolian greeks. While reading books about greeks i understood the gret importance of the Byzantine empire for the conservation of the ancient inheritance. The times of the empire were the only when the greeks were really united and had one motherland and one religion.They were not pontians,dorians, etc..but romaioi
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 03:04

Getting past the obvious irony of it (the only time Greeks were united they called themselves... Romans  - it is true in a way, yet ironicaly amusing) I'd have to point out that Byzantium destroyed much, much, MUCH more than it preserved. Especially in the early "religious cleansing" period (4th-7th century AD) there is a gruesomely huge list with atrocities performed against the Greek religion, culture and people. There was a very conscious and definite effort to eradicate from the face of the earth everything that provided with a link to the Greek past.

When the "newborn" vigor of the Christian religion was at last toned down (past 7th century) the trait was reversed and the "Roman" authorities along with the Christian institution tried to preserve whatever was left from the ancient Greek legacy - they even incorporated Aristotle in the ecclesiastic corpus and rendered Christianity a foundamentally Aristotelian religion. But it was too late... the Greek wonder was already gone forever, burried under the dead weight of intolerance, religious hate and imperial authority.

Surenas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Surenas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 03:31
Hello all,
I agree Byzantium never get's enough credit especially their army,for four centuries they were the greatest army in the area maybe on earth, i also consider their heavy cavalry as a pinnacle maybe not as skilled in natural martial combat like knights or as fast as mongol cavalry but they are a good ix of everything and their skilled in military science.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 01:59
Couldn't agree with you more on that, all I ever heard about was the bravery of western knights.  I had never even heard of the kataphractoi and the sheer power one of their charges could produce.  Also forgotten is how much the byzantines studied the art of war and wrote about it, Maurices' strategikon is a good example, they remind me of the chinese in that sense.   

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 04:57
did the byzantines(eastern romans) still wear the red uniform in their army like the original romans or did they wear blue cuz i saw this model of a byzantine infantryman but he had a blue shield and blue cape.
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 13:07
Originally posted by o'bannon

did the byzantines(eastern romans) still wear the red uniform in their army like the original romans or did they wear blue cuz i saw this model of a byzantine infantryman but he had a blue shield and blue cape.

It is a popular misconception that ancient Romans wore red tunics.In fact it is believed that the color of the tunics was white or grey.They  used  undyed  tunics possibly because  it would be unprofitable to dye the tunics of the whole army red.The cloaks of the officers and of the generals were definitely red but some used black cloaks  too.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by Justinian

Couldn't agree with you more on that, all I ever heard about was the bravery of western knights.  I had never even heard of the kataphractoi and the sheer power one of their charges could produce.  Also forgotten is how much the byzantines studied the art of war and wrote about it, Maurices' strategikon is a good example, they remind me of the chinese in that sense.   

An example, when Jorge Maniaces invaded Sicily, first defeated to a muslim army and then went to Syracuse; (Battle of Troina) another muslim army arrived, the byzantine army retreat to Troina near the Etna (with a few normans, very good warriors, excellent in this campaign) deployed three lines of cavalry and well, the first attack of the Kataphractoi destroy the front of the enemy and the entire muslim army was crushed.

An example of the power of one kataphractoi, again in Sicilly: when Manuel Focas invaded Sicilly in 964, his army was winning the battle against an african army when the muslims attack with a reserve in the centre of the byzantine line, where the byzs was very tired, Manuel see that his men was retreated and attacked to the africans. Dozens of spears was trying to kill him but anybody could do it while Manuel as a god of war crushed to the enemies around him, but, a muslim could go under the horse and cut to the animal, Manuel fall of his horse. A few byzs come back when saw to Manuel fighting on the ground, but was impossible.

Although, the usual charges of the Katas was against the flank of the enemy as they did in the battles of Dorostolon, against the russians and varangians.

Edited by Ikki
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>