Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering Byzantium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discovering Byzantium
    Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 22:53
I first learned of the byzantines while playing Age of Empires II age of kings.  I couldn't believe that there was an heir to the roman empire proper and that I had never heard of it.  I decided to find some books on them and enlighten myself.  As I read a whole new world opened up to me, now my favorite historical subject is the byzantine empire.  When I tried to tell my friends and classmates about this facinating civilization all I got were blank expressions.  Finally a place where I can talk about them with people who have not only heard of the byzantines but from what I have read are experts.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 09:04
Originally posted by Justinian

I first learned of the byzantines while playing Age of Empires II age of kings.  I couldn't believe that there was an heir to the roman empire proper and that I had never heard of it.  I decided to find some books on them and enlighten myself.  As I read a whole new world opened up to me, now my favorite historical subject is the byzantine empire.  When I tried to tell my friends and classmates about this facinating civilization all I got were blank expressions.  Finally a place where I can talk about them with people who have not only heard of the byzantines but from what I have read are experts.

Ah yes, I too remember those blank expressions from my friends. Welcome aboard, by the way. I hope you find the significant Byzantinist atmosphere here to your liking .
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 14:14

It is fortunate that in my case, the blank expressions from my friends came not only from mention of the Byzantine Empire, but also the Crusades, the Peloponessian War, the Reformation, etc.

I need smarter friends...

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 15:31
Thanks for welcoming me Constantine XI.  Smarter friends...I should look into that.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 15:40
Originally posted by Belisarius

It is fortunate that in my case, the blank expressions from my friends came not only from mention of the Byzantine Empire, but also the Crusades, the Peloponessian War, the Reformation, etc.

Try almost every point in history ever for me, I swear some people believe the world started in the year of their birth

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 17:35

Remember the quote I gave on the previous page on why my Grade 8 teacher omitted the "Byzantine" section from the course syllabus"Well some parts of the course took longer and thus we had to cut some sections and that empire is not important to Western Civilization"

Wecome Justinian - we are a small but growing group.

I am curious where we all are located.  I am in Vancouver, Canada.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 19:44

I discovered Byzantium because I am from Istanbul.

I wrote this in another thread, 'why don't Greeks like Byzantium', but it fits better here:

'I think the problem arises from the fact that there used to be two cultural areas in Europe, Latin and Greek (Byzantine). But the Greek cultural sphere was destroyed by the Muslims and the Latins. Later, when Latins industrialised, they pushed the Turks out of Greek culture sphere. But the Greek culture couldn't recover. It used to be an equal of Muslims or Latins. Western Europeans (i.e. Latins) also created a myth, in their height of power and arrogance, called the 'Western Civilisation' into which they incorporated the ancient Greeks but conveniently excluded the height of Greek achievement, the Byzantine Empire. When the Greeks were freed from the Turkish yoke (by the Westerners), they bought into this story. Which is not surprising, since the West got so strong, everyone wants a piece of it, even the Turks and Iranians as we see.'

and

'Turks have invaded most of the Greek cultural sphere, which consisted of the Byzantine Empire and the lands with Orthodox religion. In this sphere, everyone looked at Greeks as the source of civilisation and considered them the main power. And the Greeks themselves had no doubt whatsoever that they were different than (and superior to), the 'West' (Latins) or to Islam.

But Latins and Muslims destroyed that state of affairs for ever. And when the Turks were forced out of (half of) that area, it left a cultural vacuum, which was not filled by a revival of Byzantine power and Greek culture, but by small states dominated by Western culture.

Today we cannot speak of a Greek culture sphere or Greek leadership in Europe, there is only the 'European' sphere, post-Christian Latin, i.e. Western. That's why I say that it was destroyed. Today, all states in Europe consider themselves to be a part of this with the exception of Russia and its satellites, but even they are not Greek anymore, they are more like a separate post-communist sphere now. Russia tried to fill the gap left by Byzantium for a while, and resisted the West, but the communist rule transformed their role and culture to a great extent. Communism itself is nothing but a Western counter-culture.'

on Greek independence

'... remember that 'nationalism' itself is a Western idea, which shows the Western domination of the Greek cultural life. As Western ideals started to spread around the Greeks, there were two factions, one asking for cooperation with the Turks against the West and re-institution of the Byzantine Empire by culturally taking over the Ottoman Empire from inside. It makes some sense when one considers that Greeks were richest group in the Empire because they dominated the sea trade. In the 18th century, Phanariots and Greeks merchants were Hellenising Romanians and others, bringing about the hope of a Byzantine cultural revival. Today it seems strange for us that the Greek rebellion in 1820 also took place in Istanbul, but it signifies this usually ignored trend. 

But there was another group, which was western influenced and had asked for a independent Greek nation state. The second movement became dominant, and Greeks abandoned the dreams of a Byzantine revival in return for a ethnic Greek nation state.'

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 13:19
I knew Byzantine empire because the teachers of the school explain us that "the visighots conquered Hispania, but there were others kingdom as the suevs in Galicia, the barbarians basques and cantabrians in the north, and the south where the byzantines was, a decadent empire" Who was this oldfashioned and decadent people that dominated our best land?? I was 16 years old when i search the answer in a german book about Roman Empire (men, my student book had the answer, but i was ): the western roman empire fall and the germans came, then, the byzantines; ok and... they conquered Africa too, wow, and with only 10 thousand men they try to conquer Italy but a jealous emperor named Justinian did't send reinforcement for the great Belisarius; page for page, i suffered the war between the "imperials" and the barbarians osthrogoths. This empire was not decadent i thought, but they fight without energy, they are tired; then the persians came and began the epopee: years of war, Egypt, Syria, Constantinople sieged, the True Cross... Great, this is a wonderfoul people... and then, the tragedy, Islam, o my god moors there too () And the love began betwen byzantines and I.

The next step, how do they lived? The food, the books, the works...

Edited by Ikki
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 16:23

Its a curious point you made Ikki about the Byzantine empire being "tired" and that they "fight without energy" I can see what you mean, but I think a better way of saying that would be to say that the empire as a power was greatly reduced from the old days. Also that the empire was over-reaching itself.

For example around 15,000 men where sent to conquer the Vandal kingdom in North Africa and most of these men were mercenaries, years later Narses arrived in Italy with a force of 30,000 which was considered huge certainly by the standards of Justinian.

The old armies of the Roman empire were often much larger and would be adequate to pursue a policy of reconquest, Justinians army was at one point as low as around 150,000-175,000 (I can never remember the exact number but I know it was around what ive said) even though it had been much much larger earlier in his reign.

Considering the vast commitments the empire had, the fragile peace with the barbarians across the Danube only maintained by bribes, the somewhat less than "eternal peace" with Persia and then the conquest and consolidating of the newly conquered territories will have brought the army to breaking point. Made many times worse by the plague which ravaged it and severely weakened the empire in terms of man-power., there was also desertions among the ranks of mercenaries and constant drain on gold and men as resistance especially in Italy ballooned. To an extent making Italy barely worth the conquest such was the devastation.

I suppose then it is correct to say the empire was exhausted and sapped of energy, which made the collapse of the newly conquered territories in Spain, Italy and North Africa a distinct probability also making it harder for the empire to meet its commitments elsewhere.

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 20:47
im taking a course on byzantine history next semester
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 16:23

I looked through my schools' entire catalog and of course there weren't any byzantine courses.  I had to settle for a world civilization class that devotes a chapter to byzantium.  I'm definitely transferring, by the way where do you go to school? 

Edited by Justinian

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 21:31
I'm hoping to switch universities myself. My current place of schooling does not have any specific histories courses to speak of. It's pathetic. What was I thinking?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 23:27
I have been searching for months for a university with a degree in byzantine studies, the only one I found was oxford.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 01:26
Oxford is a little far from New York. 

The problem with my university is that all history courses are general. There is not one that concentrates on any specific subject in history.
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:23
Originally posted by Justinian

I looked through my schools' entire catalog and of course there weren't any byzantine courses.  I had to settle for a world civilization class that devotes a chapter to byzantium.  I'm definitely transferring, by the way where do you go to school? 

Don't be surprised if that chapter gets squeezed (or eliminated altogether) if other sections of the course take too long...it happened to me...
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 20:49
There will be hell to pay if that happens.  I mean we already spent several weeks talking about the early roman empire.  I can certainly relate to belisarius' problem of broad history courses;  a professor will mention an event its date and then move on to something else; fall of constantinople for instance, happened in 1453 ended byzantine empire...

Edited by Justinian

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 10:17

I hear you. I remember once I was talking about some history subjects with some friends and one of them said "Who cares? It's just history. It's passed and it doesn't matter anymore."

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 13:19

I've actually heard a similar response... I cried that night...

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 14:59

I don't know who I feel worse for; the person who says that or the person who hears it.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 15:18
Ive actually punched somebody with that kind of attitude  (not a proper fight) he was just getting on my nerves and he clearly deserved it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>