Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tamil Origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tamil Origins
    Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 13:49

It seems they are also Elamites, as the same as Egyptians!

http://www.asiantribune.com/show_news.php?id=15377

Of course this article has also mentioned that historians have identified the Elamites in the north Africa.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 17:49

While it seems pretty clear that Elamite is linked to Dravidian languages, included Tamil, that article is an awful mixture of (few) science and (much) blah-blah.

It's likely that Dravidian-speakers occupied in ancient times the area between Elam and Gujarat, and it's likely that the civilization of the Indus was also of Dravidian language, which, according to most common hypothesis, expanded southward while Indo-Iranian tongues substituted them in the north.

It is not likely that either Elamites or Indus' people were as much dark skinned as modern dravidians (based in their iconography) but Australo-Dravidian types are also shown in Indus culture iconography. Still most of the types depicted seem typical Mediterranean, much as Sumerians or Elamites themselves.

It's the first time that I read that ancient Egyptian is linked to Elam... the language seems quite clearly to belong to the Hamitic group of Afroasian family.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 04:03

I think this man is an Elamite (our very sociable guide in the ancient Ziggurat of Chogha Zanbil in Susa) :

And this an Elamite soldier in the Susa museum:

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 12:44
Wow! They do look Dravidian in the modern "racial" sense of the world. It seems that I could have been mislead by Eurocentric viewpoints.

Very interesting!

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Darkness1089 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Darkness1089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 18:59
If you look at what Tamil people have to say for themselves, they came to Tamil Nadu (India) from an island which got submerged. Called Kumari Kandam in classical Tamil, but many people compare it to Lemuria. SOme other submerged islands also have been found off the coast of Chennai, which are also compared to Kumari Kandam...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuria_%28continent%29
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:48

Indus Civilisation

The Tamils are an ancient people. Their history had its beginnings in the rich alluvial plains near the southern extremity of peninsular India which included the land mass known as the island of Sri Lanka today. The island's plant and animal life (including the presence of elephants) evidence the earlier land connection with the Indian sub continent. So too do satellite photographs which show the submerged 'land bridge' between Dhanuskodi on the south east of the Indian sub-continent and Mannar in the north west of the island.

Some researchers have concluded that it was during the period 6000 B.C. to 3000 B.C. that the island separated from the Indian sub continent and the narrow strip of shallow water known today as the Palk Straits came into existence. Many Tamils trace their origins to the people of Mohenjodaro in the Indus Valley around 6000 years before the birth of Christ.  There is, however, a need for further systematic study of the history of the early Tamils and proto Tamils.

"Dravidians, whose descendents still live in Southern India, established the first city communities, in the Indus valley, introduced irrigation schemes, developed pottery and evolved a well ordered system of government." (Reader's Digest Great World Atlas, 1970)

Clyde Ahmad Winters, who has written extensively on Dravidian origins commented:

"Archaeological and linguistic evidence indicates that the Dravidians were the founders of the Harappan culture which extended from the Indus Valley through northeastern Afghanistan, on into Turkestan. The Harappan civilization existed from 2600-1700 BC. The Harappan civilization was twice the size the Old Kingdom of Egypt. In addition to trade relations with Mesopotamia and Iran, the Harappan city states also had active trade relations with the Central Asian peoples."

He has also explored the question whether the Dravidians were of African origin. (Winters,Clyde Ahmad, "Are Dravidians of African Origin", P.Second ISAS,1980 - Hong Kong:Asian Research Service, 1981 -  pages 789- 807)

Other useful web pages on the Indus civilisation (suggested by Dr.Jude Sooriyajeevan  of the National Research Council, Canada)  include the Indus Dictionary.

At the same time, the Aryan/Dravidian divide in India and the 'Aryan Invasion Theory' itself has come under  attack by some modern day historians. (see also Sarasvati-Sindhu civilisation; 'Hinduism: Native or Alien to India') 

Professor Klaus Klostermaier in 'Questioning the Aryan Invasion Theory and Revising Ancient Indian History' commented: 

"India had a tradition of learning and scholarship much older and vaster than the European countries that, from the sixteenth century onwards, became its political masters. Indian scholars are rewriting the history of India today.One of the major points of revision concerns the so called 'Aryan invasion theory', often referred to as 'colonial-missionary', implying that it was the brainchild of conquerors of foreign colonies who could not but imagine that all higher culture had to come from outside 'backward' India, and who likewise assumed that a religion could only spread through a politically supported missionary effort.

While not buying into the more sinister version of this revision, which accuses the inventors of the Aryan invasion theory of malice and cynicism, there is no doubt that early European attempts to explain the presence of Indians in India had much to with the commonly held Biblical belief that humankind originated from one pair of humans- Adam and Eve to be precise ..."

Hinduism Today concluded in Rewriting Indian History - Hindu Timeline:

"Although lacking supporting scientific evidence, this (Aryan Invasion) theory, and the alleged Aryan-Dravidian racial split, was accepted and promulgated as fact for three main reasons. It provided a convenient precedent for Christian British subjugation of India. It reconciled ancient Indian civilisation and religious scripture with the 4000 bce Biblical date of Creation. It created division and conflict between the peoples of India, making them vulnerable to conversion by Christian missionaries."

"Scholars today of both East and West believe the Rig Veda people who called themselves Aryan were indigenous to India, and there never was an Aryan invasion. The languages of India have been shown to share common ancestry in ancient Sanskrit and Tamil. Even these two apparently unrelated languages, according to current "super-family" research, have a common origin: an ancient language dubbed Nostratic." 

http://www.tamilnation.org/heritage/

Jai Badri Vishal
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 02:42
While I have read that Elamites and Dravidians do share a linguistic parent language, this is also the first I have heard of a link to the Egyptains.....

Interesting

Cyrus, that picture of the guide is also interesting - are there many Elamites left in Iran/Iraq?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 10:46
I think there is still a large Elamite population in the south west of Iran but they are known as Arabs because they mostly speak Arabic!
K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 02:30
1. Tamils cannot trace their origins to two sources - 1. Mohanjadaro / Harappa and 2. Kumarikkandam.

2. Claiming the first origin does not have any support in their so called "Sangam literature".

3. The claim of Kumarikkandam has few evidences and historians do not agree with suvch hypothesis.

History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
Romano View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Romano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 07:47

If Tamil epic such  as Silapadikaram and Mani Mekhalai are considered as samgam literature, then according to Tamil Tradition, the Tamils originally came from a submerged island Kumarikhandam in the South of India.

Epic Shilapadikaram and amni mekhalai describe the submerged city of Puhar. According to the legend, there were two main rivers in Kumari Kandam, and also mountains. The first Tamil Sangam (Academy), Idai Sangam, was believed to be in the Lemurian continent
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 02:52
1. There is a book, "Hindu America" by Buddha Bishu Chaman Lal, in which, he gives many evidences to show as to how the Indian imprint had been there before the inflict of destruction of the civilizations by the Europeans.

2. Here, one Sri. Ganapathi Stapathi (Traditional Indian / Hindu sculptor / builder) who visited the South American sites was astonished to note that they had been oriented and built exactly according to the Vasthu Sastra of India. He has recorded in his work.

3. In fact, it is intriguing to note as to why Columbus should declare that he "landed in INdia", when he actually landed in "America". In other words, he must have seen the people like Indians and all other surroundings exactly like Indian, as had been described by the European travellors, missioners and others.

4. Coming to the Tamil literature, Silappatikaram and Manimekhalai cannot be considered as "Sangam literature" as suggested by Romano, as they are only post-Sangam works dated from 1st century CE onwards.

5. Of course, the Sangam literature itself has preserved the tradition of submergence of land mass beyond Kumar-Kumar kodu etc., which is considered as "Kumarikkandam" by the Tamil scholars.

6. However, as no archaeological evidences are there, such hypothesis / theory has not been accepted by the historians still.

7. Incidentally, the "Imberunkappiyangfal" have recorded important historical events, including dates of Buddha etc., which I pointed out in another forum.
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 03:04
More details are available in the following site about India's connection:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 09:17
Oh No!!!

We are going to deal with Hindu-centrism now!

Fact. No single evidence of "presency" of people of the Old World that would have influenced Native civilizations exits in the Americas. That includes Indians of India.

Please, I beg you all: stop robbing the heritage of Native Americans.

India has a civilization; isn't that enough for you? Why to downplay Native American peoples and heritage?

Pinguin

Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 02:52
Do not worry, We Indians never rob heritage of any, that too you "Native Americans".

You do not even consider as "Indians", though, you are called as "Indians".

History is only to study the past. So why any phobia should come?

"Hindu-centrism" is not here, Chamanlal, the author named the book as "Hindu America".

Many times, "Hindu" word is used not in any "communal" sense (this word is very famous in India).

So do not worry in learning the past. As you are in Chile, you could provide details as to how ypour "heritage" is survived, rerflected through festivals, ceremonies and rites, arts and sciences and so on, so that we can learn and understand each other.

Of course, you delved upon only one point. Other points have to be clarified.
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 02:59
Incidentally, when your origin is traced to "Tamils" / "Dravidians" etc., why Tamil-centrism" / "Dravidian-centrism" etc., are not thought of?

Are they different from the people of India?
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 04:11
I know that wikipedia is not so reliable but this is what I found in it. Elamite language may or may not be connected to the Dravidian language family.

A quote from wikipedia
    A few scholars incorporate the Dravidian languages into a larger Elamo-Dravidian language family, which includes the ancient Elamite language of what is now southwestern Iran. However, this is not accepted by most linguists.

Since I am not a scholar , I have no personal opinion on this matter . Which one is more likely ?
1, Elamite and Tamil languages are from the same language family.
2, They are not from the same family.

My best friend is from khuzestan. He always says that a typical Khuzestani person is very tall , skinny and with very small head and face. Does this correspond with Elamite racial type?

P.S Syrus Shahmiri , I can not see the picture of the guide from Susa that you posted . Is there any way I can see it ?

Edited by omshanti - 05-Dec-2006 at 04:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

Do not worry, We Indians never rob heritage of any, that too you "Native Americans".

You do not even consider as "Indians", though, you are called as "Indians".

First, we don't call Amerindians "indians", because here it is considered a lack of respect. We call them by the name of their nation: Maya, Quechua, Guarani, Mapuche, etc.

And second, by biology Native Americans are closely related to mongolian and siberian peoples, rather than to any other peoples of the old world.
The name "indian" applied to the Native America it was just the effect of Columbus' ignorance.

History is only to study the past. So why any phobia should come?

"Hindu-centrism" is not here, Chamanlal, the author named the book as "Hindu America".

Many times, "Hindu" word is used not in any "communal" sense (this word is very famous in India).

In that case it would be OK. I though we were seeing another fantasy of transoceanic contact. Like those child tales about pre-colombian maize in India LOL

So do not worry in learning the past. As you are in Chile, you could provide details as to how ypour "heritage" is survived, rerflected through festivals, ceremonies and rites, arts and sciences and so on, so that we can learn and understand each other.

Of course, you delved upon only one point. Other points have to be clarified.

Well, if you are intersted I have posted lots of information about the Native Americans of my country, South America and the whole Americas.
Many things have survived of those ancient times in the common people. Remember that, although most our ancestors are European, in Southern South America we are in average around 20% Native American.

And what survived? languages, myths, tales, poems, literature, cosmology, music, architecture, handicraft, rituals (pachamama, gillatunes, etc), textile patterns, foods, drinks, place names, arts, and thousands of word in the common Spanish speech.

So, the link exists. It is not romantic fantasy at all.

Omar Vega (alias penguin)

Edited by pinguin - 05-Dec-2006 at 05:27
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 23:14
We like your people, by whatever name you want to call.

I do not consider "people" to be divided based on language, religion etc.,

Though, I am a Tamilian hailing from Tamizhagam / Tamilnadu, I am proud to be an Indian.

Why mention "Machu Pichu", our Vastu experts / traditional architects found lot of similarities between your and our structures.

So kindly, inform me, if they are anything similar to your people and Indians, as they had been a lot of our people coming to your countries during mideval and before that periods.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 02:56
I think M. Nachiappan has a point, pinguin you should be more open minded.

I think there could definantely have been connections between ancient India and meso-America.

When you look at the great civilisations and structures of India, the Maurya Empire, the Dravidians, Brihadeeswarar and Srirangam, don't you find it hard to believe Indians were capable of all these developments themselves without being taught to do it by an outside more advanced civilisation.

I think it's very likely the Olmec sailed from Mexico to India, where they designed all the great Indian temples, taught them advanced mathematics and founded Indian civilisation.

Edited by Paul - 06-Dec-2006 at 02:57
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 04:16

Paul's comments are interesting, but he has to give evidences for the following:

1. "When you look at the great civilisations and structures of India, the Maurya Empire, the Dravidians, Brihadeeswarar and Srirangam, don't you find it hard to believe Indians were capable of all these developments themselves without being taught to do it by an outside more advanced civilisation".

Why and how Indians should be taught from outside, that too for your belief?

Who were "DRavidians" and "Indians", as you mention them separately?

2. "I think it's very likely the Olmec sailed from Mexico to India, where they designed all the great Indian temples, taught them advanced mathematics and founded Indian civilisation".

How likely the Olmecs sailed from Mexico to India?

When they did such sailing?

How they did?

Whether they knew the knowledhe of "Longitude"?

Why the should treach "advanced mathematics" to Indians?

Wheter their designed temples of India resemble that of themselves?

If so produce at least one evidence.

If the founded Indian civilization, then, what was their date of origin etc

You have made sweeping statements and have to answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>