Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of Great Warriors!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pics of Great Warriors!
    Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 03:23
Ok everyone, be nice and behave, the mods are watching.

To answer everyones question the wings on the Polish hussars are not just decoration, nor does the appearance of them scare men or horse. But don't get me wrong, they do scare men and horses!

When travelling at a high speed, such as a gallaop, the wind passing throught the feathers of the wings produces a loud whistling noise. When you have hundreds of Polish hussars charging at you, the noise would have been impressive if you were on the Poles side, and terrifing if you were not.

PS
hmm, ataman, I just read your post in the other thread where you say it wasn't the noise but the appearance. I have to say that I highly doubt that appearance would work, while I'm pretty sure sound would.
Firstly, appearance will frighten men, but not as much as sound,
Secondly, if 'all' horses are afraid of the hussars, then so would the hussar horse be.
Thirdly, if the hussars' horses were not afraid of another hussar, then they can be trained. Making the wings far far less effective.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 28-Feb-2007 at 03:32
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 03:29
no it wouldn't the gallop would overhear that noise
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 03:35
Good point Top Gun, other noises (gallops, gunshots, shouting) may drown out the 'whistle' of the Hussars. I would really like to see this tested out (live would be good Approve). If the wings have no effect and make no noise, it would still look cool, if they do, then wow!
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 03:44
no it wouldn't the gallop would overhear that noise

Well, I had understood the whistle of the hussars to be loud enough and distinct enough to be heared over the noise of the battle.

But I agree with Knights, definitely something for a practical test!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 05:42
Omar, Knights, everyone interested in winged hussars,
please continue this disccusion in the thread about winged hussars, I mean here:
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 19:56

This image depicts General Belisarius, and the campaign against the Ostrogoths.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 17:02

These warriors are Carthaginians. Though these warriors are not my favorite, these pictures are little more tricky to find... anyone got any pictures of Carthaginian military? These were the only ones I could find...

Join us.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 03:59
Originally posted by Jagiello

And pekau,if the hussars are running towards you - you won't be laughting for long LOL

Well... I am not so sure in it... They in their heavy armours and long lances running towards me might take me breathless... But they in a full gallop towards me... fleeing instantly.
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 20:48
Carthage has fallen after a several sea battles , right ?

However Hannibal was a pretty smart commander , he even could not stand against rome .
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 23:28
Originally posted by Mordoth

However Hannibal was a pretty smart commander , he even could not stand against rome .

It is better to say that Rome stood against him...
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 22:59

That's slightly unfair. Hannibal had the capability... he just did not have enough manpower and resource. Plus, Carthage was busy with their internal conflicts and the concern for their defense rather than reinforcing and supplying Hannibal. Rome, in another hand, saw the threat from Hannibal and they all united under one cause to defeat Hannibal.

Join us.
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 15:23
Hm , who is about to put the pictures of Leonidas of Sparta ? :)
Or Xerxes of Persia :D
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:32

Hm , who is about to put the pictures of Leonidas of Sparta ? :)
Or Xerxes of Persia :D
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 11:15

Those pix are truely funny ones :D

- But as far as i heard ; It was " Then we shall fight in the shade " :)

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 14:25
yes but there's no shade when they turn you're electricity off ,only dark
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 19:03
LMAO, Jagiello - those are fantastic pictures

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 22:09
Originally posted by Seko

Huns

Awesome figs, Zagros. Are these 15mm or 28mm? Can't quite tell. Are you into wargaming?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 22:11
Originally posted by batu khan

look man
       Turks are probably the best warriors in the world.

Probably? Oh come on, Batu, you don't have to be so modestWink
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 22:16
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Well don't want to be rude but. The men in the pictures don't look anything like the ones in the drawing.

I think the evzones are th least manly greek soldier well at least there uniform is.

The uniform of a hoplite will strike fear in the hearts of there enimies but these don't.

What gives?

They're not evzones, they're Cretans from the Cretan Rebellion of 1866(?). They're wearing a traditional Cretan kind of wide pants called "vraka"(vrakes, plural). These pants help with the hot summer weather on the island. It's not a battle dress, just what they wear locally.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 00:44

Ming China Warrior. (Although the main character was Three Kingdom period 's General Guan Yu)

Edited by Killabee - 26-Apr-2007 at 00:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>