Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

August 11- Leonidas last stand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: August 11- Leonidas last stand
    Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 18:36
Another battle and one of the most famous in history, that has become a by-word for self-sacrificing heroism:

On August 11, 480 BC the Persian army, led by Xerxes, finally overrun the mountain pass in Thermopylae, Greece that had been heroicly defended down to the last man by a Greek force of 300 Spartan Elite Hoplites, commanded by their King Leonidas, and a 700 strong Thespian militia.

So much is known about the Battle of Thermopylae, its historical background and aftermath that I dont have to go into any more detail.
Instead, here is a wonderful, but possibly not terribly accurate, painting of Leonidas and the Spartans last minute preparations for the final Persian onslaught, by the French artist Jacques-Louis David, best known for his interpretations of glorious moments in Greek and Roman history and for his sycophantic portraits of Napoleon I.

Leonidas, by Jacques-Louis David

Please observe the Spartan warrior top left, who with the hilt of his sword engraves into the stone the immortal words:

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here, obedient to their laws, we lie

1492 Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia Lanzol is elected Pope Alexander VI. Probably even better known as the father of the two offsprings in his celibate life, Cesare and Lucretia Borgia, he is nevertheless famous in his own right, as possibly the most corrupt and debauched of all Italian Renaissance Popes, which is by no means a small achievement. If there was one positive aspect to his career as head of the Catholic Church, then it was his patronage of many great artists whom he commissioned to glorify his reign with buildings and statues in the Papal city.

1984, President Ronald Reagan, of Bedtime for Bonzo fame, had the nation in stitches when he declared on public radio during a voice test: "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes. The Soviets didnt find that very funny, but then they were not known for their great sense of humour,apart from Krushchev of course. Reagan thus started a tradition of stand-up-comedy as an important means of US-American politics, of which the current President is, with no doubt, an unsurpassed master.

Full list:

Wikipedia

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 21:30
Thermopylae is at the same time the most celebrated and the most criticized heroic stand. Sad it is that a Greek and not a Persian was the one who really defeated them.
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 22:08
I have always thought, why did not the persians in the begining just use archers to take down the spartans and there allies? Wouldn't that of been easier? Perhaps he wanted to try his army out,,

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 22:49
Of course archers were used throughout the battle, but these were not effective against the Greek phalanx. The famous final barrage came when the Greeks were reduced to their final couple of hundred men. These men were scattered and were reduced to their hands and teeth to fight. 
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 22:55

One would think with a group of men so close together, the arrows would not be effective? yes, I know at the end of the 3 day battle, Xerxes did not want to waste another one of his troops, so he used arrows to finish them off..

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 23:12
The Philippines sees the Battle of Tirad Pass against the Americans as the 'Filipino Thermopylae'. The battle had 60 Filipinos succumbing to 500 Americans in order for the president of Filipino Republic, Emilio Aguinaldo, to escape capture. 52 Filipinos died and only 2 Americans.

While it is heroic for these poorly armed rebels to take on a larger amount of superior soldiers, I see it as something that does not deserve to be in the same league as Thermopylae. Just another example of the Philippines embellishing its accomplishments because of its desperate search for an identity.
avesta View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote avesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 01:46

I think it's cause their formation (phalanx) was too tight, and their shields were overlapping eachother giving them incredibly good protection against arrow fire.  Once the greek formation starting breaking up, and they started losing their weapons and shields, the arrows would be more effective.  Although, if you keep shooting volley after volley of arrows, your enemies' weapons and armor would eventually start breaking down no matter what.

I could be wrong though, perhaps it was because the Greeks considered the bow as a weapon of cowards, and Xerxes wanted to defeat them in close quarter combat in order to gain the respect of the soon-to-be conquered subjects.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 06:48

Not more a weapon of cowards as a weapon of mob.

Important event indeed. Poor Spartans. What formation in did the Persians attack them?

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 11:15
Other important or historical events which occurred on August 11th are:

0117 - Hadrianus hears of death of emperor Trajanus of Antioch
1253 - Clara van Assisi leads rules of life in order of Clarissen
1304 - Sea battle of Zierikzee
1522 - Uprising of adel/burgerij in Austria fails
1597 - Germany throws out English sales people
1611 - Emperor Rudolf forces out king of Bohemia
1674 - 1st Battle of at Seneffe (Louis II Cond vs Willem III)
1695 - English and Dutch fleet capture Dunkerk
1718 - Battle at Cape Passaro: English fleet destroys Spanish
1772 - Explosive eruption blows 4,000' off Papandayan Java, kills 3,000
1780 - Barbados hurricane begins
1835 - George B Airy begins 46-year reign as England's Astronomer Royal
1860 - Nation's 1st successful silver mill (Virginia City, Nev)
1863 - Cambodia becomes French protectorate
1866 - World's 1st roller rink opens (Newport RI)
1874 - Harry S Parmelee patents sprinkler head
1877 - Asaph Hall discovers Mars's moon Deimos
1884 - 1st double-century stand in Test cricket, McDonnell/Murdoch 207 Aust

Morty

Edited by morticia
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 14:54
I believe that Persians attacked in what you would call a 'swarm formation'.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 20:54
897: Death of Wilfred the Hairy, Count of Barcelona. 
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply