Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anti-Semitism in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti-Semitism in Europe
    Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 10:48
From time to time I do translation work on the side and in March I translated for the "Anti Defamation League" a questionaire into German, so they could investitigate the current level of Anti-Semtism in Europe.
The study was conducted in 12 European countries and I saw the results today. It makes some interesting reading.

Here are the edited highlights:

"Despite good faith efforts by government and the international community to counteract the anti-Semitism plaguing Europe, millions of Europeans continue to believe the classical anti-Semitic canards that have dogged Jews through the centuries, according to a new poll released by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today. A survey of 12 European countries revealed that a plurality of Europeans believe Jews are not loyal to their country and that they have too much power in business and finance. The opinion survey of 6,000 adults 500 in each of the 12 European countries found either minimal decline, no change or, in some cases, an increase in negative attitudes toward Jews from its 2004 findings.

Findings Summary   

A plurality of those surveyed across Europe, 43 percent, believe that Jews are more loyal to Israel than to their own country, with a majority of respondents in Italy, Germany, Poland and Spain saying they believe that this statement is "probably true."

Alarmingly high levels of those surveyed across Europe still believe in the traditional anti-Jewish canard that "Jews have too much power in the business world." Overall, nearly 30 percent of all respondents believe this stereotype to be true.

Similarly, European respondents still adhere to the notion that "Jews have too much power in international financial markets." Overall, 32 percent of those surveyed cling to the traditional stereotype.

Large portions of the European public continue to believe that Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust. Overall, 42 percent of those surveyed believe it is "probably true." In fact, a plurality of respondents in Austria, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Spain and Switzerland believe this notion to be true.

Overall, 20 percent of those surveyed across Europe continue to blame Jews for the death of Jesus."

Here is the full report:

http://www.adl.org/anti_semitism/european_attitudes_may_2005 .pdf

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 10:58
Sad, what more can you say... 
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 11:34

? A plurality of those surveyed across Europe, 43 percent, believe that Jews are more loyal to Israel than to their own country, with a majority of respondents in Italy, Germany, Poland and Spain saying they believe that this statement is "probably true."

Sorry but from my experiences that is true.

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 13:00

?Alarmingly high levels of those surveyed across Europe still believe in the traditional anti-Jewish canard that "Jews have too much power in the business world." Overall, nearly 30 percent of all respondents believe this stereotype to be true.

?Similarly, European respondents still adhere to the notion that "Jews have too much power in international financial markets." Overall, 32 percent of those surveyed cling to the traditional stereotype.

Myself, agree with this, this is sadly true...

OUT OF LIMIT
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 13:24

As Winston Churchill once said, the best argument against democracy is a five minute chat with a voter.

Gotta admit I'm shocked by the ignorance of the British people in that poll I'd have thought we'd have faired a little better being as half the people in the government and on TV at any one time are Jewish.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 13:29

Why don't we make the same study in the forum, in the form of a poll?

Personaly, I don't have anything against Jews. I think they are inteligent, honest and loyal people.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 13:28
How much do they have power in the business realm across the globe??? Everybody thinks they have but is there a reality, other than imagination?

I personally have no experiences with Jews being more loyal to Israel then to their native land, but then again, how many jews have i seen or met, not many around here. So, i am neutral on this matter. But i do think that when that many people say it out loud or think in the manner that Jews would potentially betray their homeland in trouble, the percentage of that potential will rise amongst the jewish populations across Europe and the imagination may become a reality due to our own additude.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 19:14

20% of those surveyed blame Jews for the death of Jesus? Can these Christian extremists please move on.....

And if Jews are successful in business, well, thats what happens when you agree with Capitalist ideals. If you agree with Capitalism, you support exploitation, so you shouldnt complain if youre the one being exploited. Simple as that.

I dont agree with capitalism, and thats why i believe that in the U.S. there are some Jews that have a lot of power. Please get rid of this double-standard, people. If you like Capitalism, dont come crying to mommy when your boss is a Jew. I dont hear anyone complaining about American businessmen running the world. Why arent there Anti-American sentiments? Well, thats what happens when you have double-standards, you choose who you want to hate.

I believe that Jews are more loyal to Israel as well. But how is this a bad thing? Its this prevalent Nazi mentality that makes supporting your country of ethnicity a bad thing. You should feel free to support any country you want. I believe i have that right, and i exercise it on a daily basis. If you dont think people have this right, go join the Nazi party, youd make a great member.

I agree with most of the forumers, i just have different reasons.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 20:57

20% of those surveyed blame Jews for the death of Jesus? Can these Christian extremists please move on.....

Well there was a Jewish crowd that prefered to see that criminal Barabas liberated rather than Jesus... It is well portrayed in ''Passion of the Christ''. However blaming all modern Jews because of that particular Jewish crowd is wrong and absurd.

If I recall correctly there was also a part where Jesus is on the cross and condemns Jews. Only Assyrians/Aramean Christians understood this because that part of the movie was not translated.

Why arent there Anti-American sentiments?

In Canada 40% of teens think that the US is ''evil'' and that number escalates to 64% with Quebecers. I'm pretty sure it's the same elsewhere.

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2004/weinreb063004.htm

I would also be loyal to Armenia. What's wrong with that?

Edited by Artaxiad
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 23:34

Originally posted by Artaxiad

In Canada 40% of teens think that the US is ''evil'' and that number escalates to 64% with Quebecers. I'm pretty sure it's the same elsewhere.

Its probably the same here in the States, lol.

Originally posted by Artaxiad

I would also be loyal to Armenia. What's wrong with that?

Ya, exactly. Ignore any Nazi that tells you otherwise. I was just saying that theres nothing bad about a Jew who supports Israel. They should support Israel-theyre Jewish.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 03:02
I think Jews in the US are a success sstory, thats something to be respected, not feared.  Only cowards and useless idiots fear the sucessful in the business world.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 03:47
Gotta admit I'm shocked by the ignorance of the British people in that poll I'd have thought we'd have faired a little better being as half the people in the government and on TV at any one time are Jewish.

Clearly you havn't heard of the British left.
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 06:59

Yes, but Judaism is a religion, Armenian is a nationality - Armenians originally belong to Armenia, it is ridiculous to say that all Jews (Europeans) are descended from Israel and owe their loyalty to that NATION.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 07:03
Well it is interesting that Judaism is one of the religions which is specifically designed for a national people. So strong has been the force of that religion that it has, after all these centuries, withstood the tide of nationalism which immersed most people during the 19th-20th century and still remains the ideology to which most Jews more readly identify.

Personally though that doesn't bother me. So long as they pay their taxes, speak English (in my country) and obey the law they can consider themselves Carthaginians for call I care. Though in matters of international significance their main loyalty should be to their host country, all things being equal.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 08:48
They should support Israel-theyre Jewish.

If they are free citizens, they should support whichever nation they choose to support.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 20:13

Originally posted by Zagros

Yes, but Judaism is a religion, Armenian is a nationality - Armenians originally belong to Armenia, it is ridiculous to say that all Jews (Europeans) are descended from Israel and owe their loyalty to that NATION.

You raise a good point. But the reason that many of them choose to support Israel is because its the only nation whose national religion is Judaism. They might not trace their ethnic roots to Israel, but they trace their religious roots there.

Imagine if there was only 1 Christian state in the whole world....they would have unlimited support from people who might not be from that nation, but who are Christian. Same thing with Jews and Israel.

This, however, raises the question of whether you should use the state to promote religion, which in my opinion, is wrong and should be completely seperate. But in some cases, such as with Jews and Armenians, religion has played a very important role in the preservation of the national and cultural identity of both nations, and therefore has a more integrated role in cultural aspects. I am not a Christian, but i cannot deny that without Christianity, Armenians as a people would not exist today, because we would have been absorbed into neighboring cultures. I would imagine the Jews view their religion in the same light. Just something to think about. But in the present-day, i dont think such promotions of religion should exist. I dont think national religions should exist, but some nations simply feel that they have historical ties between their nation and a certain religion. Many common people in the nation look at their religion with zeal, while the leaders use it as a political tool. Thats why i think its dangerous and that national religions should be abolished. Ya just some random thoughts i had.

Originally posted by Cywr

If they are free citizens, they should support whichever nation they choose to support.

Ya i know....as Jews they should be free to support Israel, thats all i was saying.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 14:31

I'm Hungarian and in my homeland the rule of Jews is intolerable. Jews migrated into Hungary mainly at the end of the 19th century, after the Austrian-Hungarian compromise of 1867. Hungarian governments protect Jews instead of Hungarians. Before the Holocaust 300 thousand Jews lived in Hungary (third of them survived the II. WW), and they occupied all well-paid positions and about the 60 percent of  the intellectuel class. After the Holocaust our positions willn't be better, and most of the Jews are Hungarian-heater.

However Hungery missed forces into Russia in 1941, deporting of Jews was in 1944, three years later. The Jews was killed by Nazis and the Hungarian war criminal were killed. For they part, we are murderer. Other problem is the very strange and very load propaganda of the Holocaust. Jews say they are Hungarian but they have an own identity of nation and Jew nacionalism is stronger than Anti-Semitism in Hungay.

Sorry, the Jews aren't innocent. The terrorists of the two Hungarian communist regime (in 1919 and beetwen 1945 and 1990) were mainly Jews and they massacred thousand of Hungarians.  

Gavriel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Gavriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 14:46
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Well it is interesting that Judaism is one of the religions which is specifically designed for a national people. So strong has been the force of that religion that it has, after all these centuries, withstood the tide of nationalism which immersed most people during the 19th-20th century and still remains the ideology to which most Jews more readly identify.

Personally though that doesn't bother me. So long as they pay their taxes, speak English (in my country) and obey the law they can consider themselves Carthaginians for call I care. Though in matters of international significance their main loyalty should be to their host country, all things being equal.

But how many ethnic minorities living in a host country still support the Homeland of there fathers?they all do,dont they?
The Muslims in Britain certainly dont support the British government at this time.And even when the Crickets on,the Pakistani and Indian populations scream into the Grounds to support the team of there forefathers,and so they should in my opinion.
interestingly, i know a few Muslims and Seikhs,i even know a Budhist,but i,ve never met a jewish person.

Edited by Gavriel
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 17:12
Originally posted by Fejedelem

I'm Hungarian and in my homeland the rule of Jews is intolerable. Jews migrated into Hungary mainly at the end of the 19th century, after the Austrian-Hungarian compromise of 1867. Hungarian governments protect Jews instead of Hungarians. Before the Holocaust 300 thousand Jews lived in Hungary (third of them survived the II. WW), and they occupied all well-paid positions and about the 60 percent of the intellectuel class. After the Holocaust our positions willn't be better, and most of the Jews are Hungarian-heater.

However Hungery missed forces into Russia in 1941, deporting of Jews was in 1944, three years later. The Jews was killed by Nazis and the Hungarian war criminal were killed. For they part, we are murderer. Other problem is the very strange and very load propaganda of the Holocaust. Jews say they are Hungarian but they have an own identity of nation and Jew nacionalism is stronger than Anti-Semitism in Hungay.

Sorry, the Jews aren't innocent. The terrorists of the two Hungarian communist regime (in 1919 and beetwen 1945 and 1990) weremainly Jews and they massacred thousand of Hungarians.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Hungarian history and politics that I would be able to disprove every single argument.
What I do know about is German history, and thus I can smell Anti-Semite hate propaganda from miles away.

All this rubbish about Jewish people controlling the economy and so on, sounds strangely familiar. Not to mention that bit about "very load propaganda of the Holocaust".
I could give you the adress of a website where this kind of drivel is actually welcome, but AE might not be right place to spread Nazi propaganda.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 04:19

Sorry, I'm not Nazy. The (Hungarian) history was my teacher. About my family: my grandfather, an state officiar protect hundreds of Jews against Nazis during the II. WW. After the war he was imprisoned two times (!) and lost his job. (The reason is not intresting: he was accused he was an American spy, it was a tipical communist reason.) One week after he became free he died because torturing. The denunciator was his Jewish co-worker (why, I don't know), and the sadist prison quards were mainliy Jews. My other grandfather (and his wife) lost his house, and the aninvited guest was a Jewish member of the Communist Party.

Nagyfejedelem is my new name. Please, not delete my two notices.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>