Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Iranian Language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Does the Iranian language need to be revived?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [82.14%]
5 [17.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
farohar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote farohar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Iranian Language
    Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 03:02

Most Iranian dialects have not changed a great deal since the advent of Islam and Arabic influence, but Parsi is slowly dying as foreign words are being used more and more in Modern Iranian

Would you like to see the Iranian language reconstructed so that foriegn words were replaced with Ancient or Middle Persian? or would you prefer that our language continue to evolve into a mix of mainly Parsi, Arabic and Turkish

I personally think yes, Ferdowsi's hard work should not go to waste...

If you think otherwise, please give reasons as to why

Arash

Humata, Hukta, Huvarashta
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 04:47

http://www.iranianlanguages.com/forum/

Yes but to not to a complete extent, that would just be ridiculous.

farohar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote farohar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 08:21

i understand that it would be hard to do to a complete extent, but what do you mean by ridiculous?

btw, the forums great, thanx

Edited by farohar
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 08:23

i think he may mean something like what the turkish did

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 08:54
it isn't natural, all languages have foreign elements, and to say a language is not representative of its people because it has foreign elements is wrong, it is just natural for them to develop and incorporate foreign elements.
farohar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote farohar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 02:25

i'm not saying there is anything wrong with foreign elements in Modern Iranian, I am saying that Iranian words are being replaced, which will eventually be forgotten. 

I have Chinese friends who learn Ancient Chinese as well as modern Chinese, if I was Chinese, I probably wouldn't bother learning both ancient and modern, but the fact that the language is documented is good enough. In Japan they created Katakana (a new alphabet) so that foreign words could be incorporated into their language, but they didn't scrap Hirigana (their old alphabet) and even then, students still learn and use Kanji.

We have no great deal of records on old Iranian and Avestan, which is practically dead, the language is only known by a number of Parsees who only speak it for religious purposes, and I just don't want to see Avestan, for example, die with them.

Arash

Edited by farohar
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 06:06

I voted "Yes".

I think that we can and we should preserve our national language.It's a nessesiate!

http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 08:54

I think it would be beneficial in preserving Parsi, and I don't think it would have any dire consequences, so why not?

I heard there was a move to change western words that never existed in Parsi, ie. Television were changed to "Sada va Seema" and other wierd concoctions that never fully worked.

If there is to be a change, it would have to come from the modern literary center of the Persian world, and that is Iran.  Iran proliferates Persian material, and lots of Persian material are read in Afghanistan and Tajikistan.

A similar revival came for Pashto with new dictionaries being created with new words that were invented.  Some have even gone as far as reviving Avestan words, but in the end its the common people that are key in spreading it.

I say start with poetry and books and let the people decide.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Sabzevarian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sabzevarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 01:52
I think some final descendant of unipers as a secondary alphabet or international alphabet is an interesting idea.

http://unipers.com/pa2up.htm
niceone928 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niceone928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 05:51

I am a non persian but I am learning some farsi and I tell those who teach me not to use any arabic words.  So, instead of saying Salam I think you would say dorood.  Is this correct? 

Right now I am reading a book by J.P. Mallory titled In search of the Indo-Europeans.  It is interesting

On another note, I was wondering if anyone has information on the similarities between the croats and ancient  aryans of Iran? 

niceone928 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niceone928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 05:54
I read somewhere that every year 10 langueages will die.  I hope that the ancient persian language will never die. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 06:33
The dying languages are mostly tribal languages around the world, Africa, Americas, Austuralia etc. National langages, especially the well preserved and wide ones dont die that easily unless there happens a program to ruin and assimilate the language.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 08:05
Originally posted by niceone928

On another note, I was wondering if anyone has information on the similarities between the croats and ancient  aryans of Iran? 

I guess you mean similarities between Iranians and Ancient Croats, because they were assimilated by Slavs.

Here is a link:

http://www.magma.ca/~rendic/chapter1.htm

If you wish to discuss this further, please create a new topic.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 08:47
Originally posted by niceone928

I am a non persian but I am learning some farsi and I tell those who teach me not to use any arabic words.  So, instead of saying Salam I think you would say dorood.  Is this correct? 

i mean no disrespect to farsi language but it has lots of Arabic words and iam not sure if you didnt learn at least some of these words you will be able to understand what many iranian are saying.i mean if that was your goal by learning the language.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 20:37
Originally posted by azimuth

i think he may mean something like what the turkish did

Or kind of like what arab did trying to clean up turkish and persain words from arabic when they got together in Egypt after the ottoman era

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 20:43

lol

that was for the Turkish words used officially in EGYPT and Countries like syria.

there are still some words used in the daily spoken language of egypt and some countries .

but not that many words are used Officially.

plus how may words are they? compared to the Arabic in Turkish and in Farisi?

would that be considered ridiculous?

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 21:14

the funny part is that many of the words are actually loop back were pronunciation has dramatically changed because arabic does not have many of the sounds used in IE or altaic languages. Like word borj was borrowed from Persian barg. Arabs could not pronounce g and had to change that to j now that word is borrowed back in Persian and they also use borj

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 04:51

Arabs can pronouce almost all the letters in the world, to make that part of your statment more correct you can say Arabs dont Have g in their Alphabet. so in writing these will be put as in J or k or gh.

and the pronounciation will change as per the writings,

i think its more confusing with the Farsi pronouncing many letters they write with.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 06:20

Pardis - ferdows is another example, I think many words in the Qur'an are of Iranian origin.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 06:37

hmmm

Ferdows is not mentioned in the Quran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>