Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSouth Albania/Northern Epirus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Albania/Northern Epirus
    Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 02:33
it might have declared itself autonomous... i can myself make a flag... take a walk down the park ... plant the flag there and declare that acre of land autonomous. The question is that how many countries recognize it being so. That might have been just the Greek minority with probably a few other orthodox sympathizers.

The Confederate States of America also declared themselves autonomous at some time... but weren't recognized by any foreign power and that led them to lose the war.

Edited by vulkan02
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 07:32
Recognition?
I hope you understand about what times we are talking about.
Who would you like to recognize who and for what reason?
If you think of it, not even Albania that had been formed a year earlier, only  to collapse and be split between Italy and Hellas, had recognition.
Should we conclude that there was no Albania before the Hellinic -Turkish war, since up untill that time Epirus was to be annexed to Hellas?

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 08:18
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Menippos, about the money thing. I was just saying is that does the Greek populace know that tax money is being spent on such things. On top of this, the endless amount of churches that are being built around Albania simply to replace the old demolished ones, even if none on the community are Orthodox.

Again, I said that it has nothing to do with the Greek state or any tax-payer's money. There is no such thing as nationally funded undercover hellenisation attempt in Albania. If the church is doing something like this, then they do it alone. And as they are dogmatic little bastards most of them, I would not find it surprising it they were doing it. I am totally against christianisation of any place on this earth as well as the universe and all parallel ones too, especially with ways like that. The same goes for hellenisation. We have enough nationalistic pigs on earth who try to obtain other peoples' lands, but Greece is not one of them. We have enough problems as we are and we do not need more.
And with the influx of Albanian workforce in Greece, in a few years we will become sister countries with Albania anyway, so what's the use?
CARRY NOTHING
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 11:10

Pirro Kaoni, Moloset were Illyrian and Cameria-Janina (now is in Greece) were historical albanian lands...

rrofshin camet,arbreshet,arvanitet

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 12:21
Originally posted by Phallanx

Recognition?
I hope you understand about what times we are talking about.
Who would you like to recognize who and for what reason?
If you think of it, not even Albania that had been formed a year earlier, only  to collapse and be split between Italy and Hellas, had recognition.
Should we conclude that there was no Albania before the Hellinic -Turkish war, since up untill that time Epirus was to be annexed to Hellas?

it still does not matter... the point is that the great powers created and recognized the state of Albania... Norther Epirus was never recognized by any great power government so even though it might have split it was an illegitimate government in the eyes of the world.
Sure you might conclude there was no Albania but there was Albanians living in the area. Just like there was no Greece before 1820, however there was Greeks living in that area.

Some separatist Kurds have created their country where they live and named it Kurdistan but how many other foreign countries recoginze them as a legitimate nation?? None.

Edited by vulkan02
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 12:52
You didn't get my point, I mean you do consider the years from 1912 to approx 1925 part of your history and you do recognize the existance of Albania even though the country wasn't recognized as such.
That is quite similar to the Epirotes. They recognize the years from 1912- approx 1925 as their own independant country, Autonomous Epirus even though it wasn't recognized.
Anyway, recognitions doesn't mean much as proven recently in the example of FYROM.
Don't get all worked up about it, no one is making claims of liberating Epirus and no one speaks of it's independance in the near or far future.

AlbanianTriology
Did I read Molossians???
I suggest you read who they were.

Did I hear Chams????
Don't get me started on them, historical
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 13:16

In Greece XIX , were after 50% albanians (arbresh, arvanitet) it si fact, you must read little your history

and you know genocid for Chams

Edited by AlbanianTriology
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 14:20
Sorry but you have to read objective sources. Hoxha isn't one of them,

The Arvanites

Were a Hellinic race of people from the area of Epirus, their very name comes from the ancient Hellinic district of Arvonos.
Without getting into the details of 16th-18th cent. I'll only mention the letter of Jacomo Barbarrigo towards the Germans in 1479 where he mentions:

"The Arvanites and the Hellines are nothing more than the same people that hate every foreigner"

and the Venetian Senate in 1471 that declared :

"The major part of our mercenary troops are Hellines and Arvanites Hellines"

I can provide alot more info if you're interested.

Genocide of Chams???
Are you serious, who tells you this BS,  Hoxha???
You are talking WWII when they collaborated with the Italians an then with the Nazi and killed innocent people, what did you expect a thank you.
 Hell yes we kicked there ass outta here, which is the least we could have done.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 18:06

You didn't get my point, I mean you do consider the years from 1912 to approx 1925 part of your history and you do recognize the existance of Albania even though the country wasn't recognized as such.
That is quite similar to the Epirotes. They recognize the years from 1912- approx 1925 as their own independant country, Autonomous Epirus even though it wasn't recognized.
Anyway, recognitions doesn't mean much as proven recently in the example of FYROM.
Don't get all worked up about it, no one is making claims of liberating Epirus and no one speaks of it's independance in the near or far future.

Im not getting worked up at all i know this will never happen because no Albanians would support such move in the south and in the north.
Actually Albanians in the south are better off today because they are represented better in the government than their counterparts in the north so their interests are more of a priority.

Well no  Albania was recognized as a legitimate, independent country in July 1913 by the Great Powers. I don't really care if Greece didn't recognize
 it until later on just like Macedonia doesn't care at the present time because US recognizes it as simply Macedonia.

In July 1913, the Great Powers opted to recognize an independent, neutral Albanian state ruled by a constitutional monarchy and under the protection of the Great Powers. The August 1913 Treaty of Bucharest established that independent Albania was a country with borders that gave the new state about 28,000 square kilometers of territory and a population of 800,000. Montenegro, whose tribesmen had resorted to terror, mass murder, and forced conversion in territories it coveted, had to surrender Shkodr. Serbia reluctantly succumbed to an ultimatum from Austria-Hungary, Germany, and Italy to withdraw from northern Albania. The treaty, however, left large areas with majority Albanian populations, notably Kosovo and western Macedonia, outside the new state and failed to solve the region's nationality problems.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 15:15
You obviously don't know all the facts.
The problem here is that you fail to see that the original reconition was never widely accepted not only by Hellas but by anyone.

We know that only 6 months later the country actually collapsed and was once again split up under the concession of the same powers that originally had recognized Albania in the first place and not even a year later these same 'powers' with the The Protocol of Corfu, recognize an autonomous Northern Epirus.
We know of a continuous Itialian presence in Vlore to 1918 when its passed into the hands of the Austro-Hungarians, we know of France occupying Korce until 1920, we know that the Paris Peace Conference of 1919 gave Epirus to Hellas...etc.

The obvious mix up here is that you are talking about the first recognition of Albanian Idependance in 1913 which as we see above really wasn't of any value since no one really accept the recognition, otherwise we wouldn't see the continuous occupation.
While I'm talking about the finall recognition in 1921, that was based on the 1913 decisions but actually were 'enforced' and respected.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 15:44
well in 1913 was the first recongnition by the great powers as the writing suggests ... and like you say in 1921 Northern Epirus was recognized as part of Albania... case closed.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 23:05
Actually the issue ended in 1946 in the Pairs Conference after WWII when Hellinic P.M, E.Venizelos tried to get Epirus annexed to Hellas but the Russian Foreign Minister V. Molotof reacted. So Epirus was finally annexed to Albania.

Note that just over one year before Hoxha took power
Russia's meddling in this among other issues, can be seen in many records of announcements made by the Hellinic Communist Party (KKE) that were direct orders from mama Russia.

Edited by Phallanx
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 10:14
actually the issue is still being resolved... on august 4, 2004 a member of a history forum brought up this issue and another Greek member put up the independence of Northern Epirus in question. It is still not known wether Norther Epirus is part of Albania or part of Greece, however one thing is for certain.... this argument will never die!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 19:51
Heres a question, when I was in Greece I was suprised at how dark featured Albanians were.  They come from north of Greece than how come they look like Guatemalans?  They seemed to like to sell fake flowers to people sitting outside eating.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 21:03
maybe they were gypsies ... from what ive heard in Albania from some people who had immigrated to Greece is that Greeks are of darker skin than anyone else in the Balkans.  
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 21:21
Originally posted by Tobodai

Heres a question, when I was in Greece I was suprised at how dark featured Albanians were.  They come from north of Greece than how come they look like Guatemalans?  They seemed to like to sell fake flowers to people sitting outside eating.

Did you ask them if they were Albanian?
Because here we have all the races, all the tribes. Could be gypsies, could be Pakistanis, could even be Greeks too...
CARRY NOTHING
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 23:04
haha no I can tell a gypsie pretty easily, especially how they talk.  And I heard Greece doesnt allow any legal immigration anymore, its mostly Albanian refugees who are really discriminated against.  Outside my hotel there was a grafffitti that originally said F!ck USA but then USA was crossed out and Albania written over it.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 04:49
Actually since yesterday all measures, like deportation..etc  are in abeyance. While there is a discrimination towards all immigrants/refugees and especially Albanians,  this isn't due to some racist hatred but more because of fear of the unknown, well against Albanians there are a number of issues, but.....

You must understand that Hellas up to some 10yrs ago didn't have any kind immigrants/refugees or did, but in very small numbers.
So suddenly when this this closed community where everyone knew everyone, saw some 1,5-2.000.000 'invading', taking their jobs, crime rate hitting a record high % and 99.8% being commited by these very immigrants/refugees, simple logic says that some reaction would appear and it did in the form of the descrimination you mention.

I remember that not so long ago I could leave my windows wide open, my key on the door with absolutely no worry, no fear. Literally no one dares to do something similar today. You know that if you attempt it, you're a goner. This among other 'events' has lead to this.

But this is actually no different to what Hellinic, Italian or whatever other immigrants came across when they went to the US, Canada, Germany...etc. the difference is that these countries/communities have had time to adapt and finally accept the immigrants/refugees in their community,(but we can always note exeptions) while here the whole issue is still 'fresh'.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 07:32

, crime rate hitting a record high % and 99.8% being commited by these very immigrants/refugees, .

While I don't necessarily disagree with the "shock" of the Greek society with the rapid increase of legal/illegal immigrants, the figures presented above are a plantant lie!

All statistics show no significant increase of crime rate, due to the immigrants and that the vast majority of the crimes are still being commited by Greek citizens.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 08:46
Exaggeration OK, that I can accept, but lie???

Re Yianni,  you live in Hellas, there is no way you haven't noticed these events. When in a population of 10 million Hellines you add 1.5-2 mill. 'foreigners' and see that this approx 13% commits half if not more of the crimes in the country, then something is going on here. Simple logic.

Here's a link :
http://www.in.gr/news/article.asp?lngEntityID=472345
(unfortunately in Hellinic)
Note that the article clearly states that out of 216 murders 216 were Hellines and 91 were foreigners which means that 1 out of two were foreigners when we've already cleared that they are only the 13%

These are the statistics given by the Ministry of Public Order:

omicide

Year    Natives     Change %  Immigrants  Change%       Immigrants
as  Natives
% % %
1991 204   25   12%
1992 231 13% 34 36% 15%
1993 257 11% 34 0% 13%
1994 244 -5% 34 0% 14%
1995 228 -7% 40 18% 18%
1996 241 6% 62 55% 26%
1997 222 -8% 81 31% 36%
1998 201 -9% 66 -19% 33%
1999 175 -13% 97 47% 55%
2000 214 22% 62 -36% 29%
2001 185 -14% 92 48% 50%
2002 187 1% 91 -1% 49%
2003 189 1% 113 24% 60%
214 -0,6% 64 13,4% 30%

Notes:

*The % of Hellinic participation is reduced each year by approx.0.6%
*The participation of Immigrants is increased by approx. 13.4% per year.
* The participation of Immigrants in homicides is steadily increased from 12% in 1991 to 60% in 2003

Rapes.

Year    Natives     Change %  Immigrants  Change%       Immigrants as  Natives
% % %
1991 207   29   14%
1992 216 4% 39 34% 18%
1993 201 -7% 38 -3% 19%
1994 162 -19% 29 -24% 18%
1995 166 2% 25 -14% 15%
1996 118 -29% 34 36% 29%
1997 149 26% 41 21% 28%
1998 124 -17% 52 27% 42%
1999 136 10% 47 -10% 35%
2000 180 32% 66 40% 37%
2001 127 -29% 54 -18% 43%
2002 141 11% 64 19% 45%
2003 121 -14% 97 52% 80%
157 -4,4% 47 10,6% 30%

Robbery:

% % %
1991 543   59   11%
1992 909 67% 139 136% 15%
1993 932 3% 129 -7% 14%
1994 564 -39% 128 -1% 23%
1995 586 4% 168 31% 29%
1996 436 -26% 98 -42% 22%
1997 374 -14% 181 85% 48%
1998 516 38% 326 80% 63%
1999 603 17% 344 6% 57%
2000 616 2% 241 -30% 39%
2001 570 -7% 279 16% 49%
2002 642 13% 310 11% 48%
2003 710 11% 273 -12% 38%
615 2,3% 206 13,6% 37%

Possesion of Fire arms:

% % %
1998 997   233   23%
1999 1161 16% 155 -33% 13%
2000 1766 52% 232 50% 13%
2001 1900 8% 311 34% 16%
2002 1871 -2% 281 10% 15%
2003 1747 -7% 308 10% 18%
1574 11,9% 253 5,7% 16%

Smuggling:

% % %
1991 139   6   4%
1992 284 104% 9 50% 3%
1993 175 -38% 27 200% 15%
1994 234 34% 15 -44% 6%
1995 189 -19% 45 200% 24%
1996 115 -39% 108 140% 94%
1997 137 19% 112 4% 82%
1998 181 32% 289 158% 160%
1999 168 -7% 174 -40% 104%
2000 186 11% 233 34% 125%
2001 194 4% 212 -9% 109%
2002 226 16% 220 4% 97%
2003 210 -7% 360 64% 171%
188 3,5% 139 40,7% 83%

Fraud:

% % %
1991 408   14   3%
1992 400 -2% 18 29% 5%
1993 427 7% 15 -17% 4%
1994 390 -9% 16 7% 4%
1995 406 4% 15 -6% 4%
1996 419 3% 32 113% 8%
1997 422 1% 42 31% 10%
1998 314 -26% 41 -2% 13%
1999 364 16% 81 98% 22%
2000 533 46% 59 -27% 11%
2001 530 -1% 62 5% 12%
2002 478 -10% 78 26% 16%
2003 420 -12% 91 17% 22%
424 0,2% 43 16,9% 10%

Theft- Break ins

% % %
1991 7242        
1992 7053 -3%      
1993 7273 3%      
1994 6989 -4%      
1995 7603 9%      
1996 5532 -27%      
1997 6065 10%      
1998 3870 -36% 3139   81%
1999 3983 3% 2929 -7% 74%
2000 4625 16% 2597 -11% 56%
2001 5036 9% 2214 -15% 44%
2002 5210 3% 2527 14% 49%
2003 5507 6% 2447 -3% 44%
5845 -1,8% 2642 -4,9% 58%

Forgery:

% % %
1991 426   72   17%
1992 468 10% 55 -24% 12%
1993 370 -21% 47 -15% 13%
1994 401 8% 69 47% 17%
1995 260 -35% 78 13% 30%
1996 233 -10% 71 -9% 30%
1997 216 -7% 108 52% 50%
1998 222 3% 996 822% 449%
1999 250 13% 1504 51% 602%
2000 266 6% 1802 20% 677%
2001 401 51% 1668 -7% 416%
2002 532 33% 3240 94% 609%
2003 494 -7% 2787 -14% 564%
349 1,2% 961 35,6% 289%

Beggary:

% % %
1991 129   19   15%
1992 176 36% 30 58% 17%
1993 416 136% 33 10% 8%
1994 596 43% 72 118% 12%
1995 454 -24% 69 -4% 15%
1996 525 16% 242 251% 46%
1997 799 52% 446 84% 56%
1998 107 -87% 302 -32% 282%
1999 172 61% 365 21% 212%
2000 213 24% 480 32% 225%
2001 208 -2% 637 33% 306%
2002 160 -23% 355 -44% 222%
2003 193 21% 255 -28% 132%
319 3,4% 254 24,2% 80%

Stealing literary property (cd's etc.)

% % %
1998 102   14   14%
1999 387 279% 152 986% 39%
2000 337 -13% 297 95% 88%
2001 503 49% 518 74% 103%
2002 555 10% 1206 133% 217%
2003 328 -41% 1860 54% 567%
369 26,3% 675 165,9% 171%

Here is another table presented by the newspaper Ethnos.

%
%
2.888 955 1.140 58 42
252 208 227 37 63
229 243 171 36 64
54 26 25 51 49
14 29 4 30 70
19 133 69 22 76
26 27 27 32 66
822 213 433 56 44
96 48 68 45 55

Edited by Phallanx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>