Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Photos of Civilizations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos of Civilizations
    Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 12:47
They all have their unique roof style and looks, not totally similar with Parthian architecture.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 15:32

Originally posted by caligari

I find most aspects of Armenian "civilization" to be highly derivative, but there are some things that strike me as being quasi-unique, such as our alphabet, the duduk and perhaps this architecture:

Does this architecture seem unique to you?

Maybe it might have been influenced by Parthian or Persian architectural designs, but I have never seen this kind of style outside of the Armenian community.

It's kind of suprising because theoretically you would expect Armenian churches to look a lot more Byzantine.

I think the architecture is somewhat unic, maybe some similarities with the Georgian one; but Turkish mey and Azeri balaban are very similar to duduk...

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 15:28

The churches on the whole are unique but some parts of them look Persian buildings.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 21:12

Mayan civilsation.

Chichinitza temple

Shostak

Mayan offering

Mayan spectacular ruins

Aztec

Art

Calendar

Eagle warrior

jaguar warrior

Aztec ruin temple

Teotihuacan (what a beauty)

The god demands more blood 

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 16:27

I think the architecture is somewhat unic, maybe some similarities with the Georgian one;

Armenian architecture is unique. Georgian and Caucasian Albanian architecture were influenced by Armenian architecture. After all, Armenia was the first nation to adopt Christianity as state relgion. Georgians and Albanians became Christian later on so naturally, they borrowed Armenian architecture.

Armenian, Georgian, and Albanian architectures are so similar that it is hard to distinguish between, for example, Georgian and Armenian churches. Especially if you don't take a look at the language of the inscriptions on the churches.

but Turkish mey and Azeri duduk are very similar to duduk...

The Azeris claim the duduk as their own instrument? At least the Turks were creative enough to create their own word for it.

It's kind of suprising because theoretically you would expect Armenian churches to look a lot more Byzantine.

Why is that? Armenian Apostolic Christianity (an independant Oriental Church) isn't like Greek Orthodox Christianity.

Here's the outer part of the Vank Church - a nice mix of Armenian and Islamic architecture.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 02:40
Originally posted by Artaxiad

I think the architecture is somewhat unic, maybe some similarities with the Georgian one;

Armenian architecture is unique. Georgian and Caucasian Albanian architecture were influenced by Armenian architecture. After all, Armenia was the first nation to adopt Christianity as state relgion. Georgians and Albanians became Christian later on so naturally, they borrowed Armenian architecture.

Armenian, Georgian, and Albanian architectures are so similar that it is hard to distinguish between, for example, Georgian and Armenian churches. Especially if you don't take a look at the language of the inscriptions on the churches.

but Turkish mey and Azeri duduk are very similar to duduk...

The Azeris claim the duduk as their own instrument? At least the Turks were creative enough to create their own word for it.

Why is that? Armenian Apostolic Christianity (an independant Oriental Church) isn't like Greek Orthodox Christianity.

Here's the outer part of the Vank Church - a nice mix of Armenian and Islamic architecture.

I just said there are similarities. Also I'm sorry. Azeri instrument is balaban. I mistyped it, now I'm editing. By the way, we use "ddk" for a little whistle pipe in Turkey, different from duduk... 

Edited by kotumeyil
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 09:56

a nice mix of Armenian and Islamic architecture

Another Islamic building but some hundreds years before Islam:

It is really interesting this "Islamic architecture" is even said about Iranian churches!

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 10:38

I just said there are similarities. Also I'm sorry. Azeri instrument is balaban. I mistyped it, now I'm editing. By the way, we use "ddk" for a little whistle pipe in Turkey, different from duduk... 

Turks also use dhol and zurna, is that correct?

I thought the idea of domes on mosques was taken from Byzantine churches.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 09:46
Originally posted by Artaxiad

Turks also use dhol and zurna, is that correct?

Sure we use and like them very much! 

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 01:25
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

That Samarkand also belongs to our civilization!

World Civlization:

This palace which I built at Susa, from afar its ornamentation was brought. Downward the earth was dug, until I reached rock in the earth. When the excavation had been made, then rubble was packed down, some 40 cubits in depth, another part 20 cubits in depth. On that rubble the palace was constructed.
And that the earth was dug downward, and that the rubble was packed down, and that the sun-dried brick was molded, the Babylonian people performed these tasks.
The cedar timber, this was brought from a mountain named Lebanon. The Assyrian people brought it to Babylon; from Babylon the Carians and the Yaun [=Greeks] brought it to Susa. The yak-timber was brought from Gandara and from Carmania.
The gold was brought from Lydia and from Bactria, which here was wrought. The precious stone lapis lazuli and carnelian which was wrought here, this was brought from Sogdia. The precious stone turquoise, this was brought from Chorasmia, which was wrought here.
The silver and the ebony were brought from Egypt. The ornamentation with which the wall was adorned, that from Yaun was brought. The ivory which was wrought here, was brought from Nubia and from India and from Arachosia.
The stone columns which were here wrought, a village named Abirdu, in Elam - from there were brought. The stone-cutters who wrought the stone, those were Yaun and Lydians.
The goldsmiths who wrought the gold, those were Medes and Egyptians. The men who wrought the wood, those were Lydians and Egyptians. The men who wrought the baked brick, those were Babylonians. The men who adorned the wall, those were Medes and Egyptians.
Darius the King says: At Susa a very excellent work was ordered, a very excellent work was brought to completion.
May Ahuramazda protect me, my father Hystaspes, and my country.

100 Coulmns, each one as tall as a 10-storey building.

16 of these columns are still standing!

One of these huge columns:

There are various types of column capitals:

The small ones have been moved to the museums.

A bull column capital in the chicago museum (USA):

Another column capital in the same museum:

but the large ones are still there.

An eagle column capital in the Persepolis: (of course not on the column)

I hope you can imagine the size of this palace!

so which once are Presepolis and which once are Susa?

or these pictures are all from persepolis?

the below pic is persepolis

Edited by azimuth
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 00:06

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

This one is the most extreme of our civlization:

Vank Cathedral, this great project was also started by Shah Abbas the Great but was completed about 50 years later by Shah Abbas II.

The building of the Vank Cathedral marks the only time in Armenian history where a Muslim king and Muslim workers built a Christian church.

When Shah Abbas was at war with the Ottoman Turks in the early 1600's, he wanted to create a deserted buffer-zone between his empire and that of the Ottomans'. He moved the Armenians from the Armenian city of Julfa, and brought them  to a place closer to his capital of Isfahan. Shah Abbas then had his soldiers destroy the entire city of Julfa behind them. The Shah knew that he could only benefit from the wealth of the Armenian merchants if they were still rich and content.  So to compensate moving them out of their homes, he built an entire city for them across the river from Isfahan, and called it 'New Julfa'. It was a city only for the Armenians; Muslims were not allowed to live there. That is where Shah Abbas commissioned the building of the Vank Cathedral, so the Armenians could have a place to worship in their new city.

The writing in between the two dates is written in Armenian and it says "Soorp Amenapurgich", which means "Holy Savior of All".

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 11:20

so which once are Presepolis and which once are Susa?

or these pictures are all from persepolis?

Yes those are all from Persepolis, unfortunately almost nothing has left from the great palace of Darius the Great at Susa!

These pics are from Susa:

It was a column capital:

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 21:25

waw who destroyed it?

Alexander?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 21:55
These things when they go into ruin are butchered over the centuries, I saw a 16th century bridge with pieces of classical columns and other masonry in it, also earthquakes are a big factor of destruction in Iran.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 01:48
  1.  The GREEKS  have been responsible  as a civilization  to   have  excelled in philosophy, science,  literature, politics,physics,medicine,military strategy ,history,astronomy  but most of all they  were  artist and achitects.  I hope the following  images describe  why  they are my favorites and  hopefully yours too.

Edited by Konstantine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12