Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Photos of Civilizations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos of Civilizations
    Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 11:04

Post here your favourite civilizations' monuments. Monuments which belong to specific ciilizations and own their features.

For example Ottoman Civilization, Roman Civilization, Chinese Civilization, Seljuk Civilization, Greek Civilization etc.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 08:13

Ottoman Civilization?!!

This is our civilization in details:

A telescope is needed to see it well:

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 08:21

if you gave us some brief info about each picture it would be nice.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 09:14
That is Shah mosque in Isfahan which has been built by Shah Abbas the Great (1588 - 1629).
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 09:49

This one is the most extreme of our civlization:

Vank Cathedral, this great project was also started by Shah Abbas the Great but was completed about 50 years later by Shah Abbas II.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 09:52

Why are you confused about Ottoman civilization? Havent you seen something like this before?

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 10:17
Oguzoglu thats persian dont you know it? Now Cyrus gets mad by calling a persian civ. a Turkish one, betta watch out!!
OUT OF LIMIT
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 11:22

I had seen these great buildings but when you say Ottoman civilization, it means Turks were not civilized before Ottoman period.

I think you mean Ottoman architecture!

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 13:01
Why are you confused about Ottoman civilization? Havent you seen something like this before?

You mean the Byzantine church inspired mosques based off the Hagia Sophia?

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 13:45
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I had seen these great buildings but when you say Ottoman civilization, it means Turks were not civilized before Ottoman period.

I think you mean Ottoman architecture!

Omg, im afraid of calling selcuk empire whas Turkish *hiding*...

OUT OF LIMIT
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 19:09

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Why are you confused about Ottoman civilization? Havent you seen something like this before?

What's wrong with that? It was just the esthetic choice of the Ottomans...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 01:06
That Blue Mosque is a beautiful thing. As a future architect, I will make sure New York City gets something like it.

As for the Hagia Sophia, I think that the minarets really makes it more beautiful than otherwise.

Edited by Belisarius
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 02:08

Teotihuacan-center of trade and city state power in pre Aztec Mexico:

Aksum stellae from Ethiopia.

Samarkand!

and of course, northeastern US power in the empire state building!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 02:37
Originally posted by Tobodai

Aksum stellae from Ethiopia.

how large is this?

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 03:19

That Samarkand also belongs to our civilization!

World Civlization:

This palace which I built at Susa, from afar its ornamentation was brought. Downward the earth was dug, until I reached rock in the earth. When the excavation had been made, then rubble was packed down, some 40 cubits in depth, another part 20 cubits in depth. On that rubble the palace was constructed.
And that the earth was dug downward, and that the rubble was packed down, and that the sun-dried brick was molded, the Babylonian people performed these tasks.
The cedar timber, this was brought from a mountain named Lebanon. The Assyrian people brought it to Babylon; from Babylon the Carians and the Yaun [=Greeks] brought it to Susa. The yak-timber was brought from Gandara and from Carmania.
The gold was brought from Lydia and from Bactria, which here was wrought. The precious stone lapis lazuli and carnelian which was wrought here, this was brought from Sogdia. The precious stone turquoise, this was brought from Chorasmia, which was wrought here.
The silver and the ebony were brought from Egypt. The ornamentation with which the wall was adorned, that from Yaun was brought. The ivory which was wrought here, was brought from Nubia and from India and from Arachosia.
The stone columns which were here wrought, a village named Abirdu, in Elam - from there were brought. The stone-cutters who wrought the stone, those were Yaun and Lydians.
The goldsmiths who wrought the gold, those were Medes and Egyptians. The men who wrought the wood, those were Lydians and Egyptians. The men who wrought the baked brick, those were Babylonians. The men who adorned the wall, those were Medes and Egyptians.
Darius the King says: At Susa a very excellent work was ordered, a very excellent work was brought to completion.
May Ahuramazda protect me, my father Hystaspes, and my country.

100 Coulmns, each one as tall as a 10-storey building.

16 of these columns are still standing!

One of these huge columns:

There are various types of column capitals:

The small ones have been moved to the museums.

A bull column capital in the chicago museum (USA):

Another column capital in the same museum:

but the large ones are still there.

An eagle column capital in the Persepolis: (of course not on the column)

I hope you can imagine the size of this palace!

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 04:09
A few views from the Topkapi Palace, Istanbul...

Some views of Suleymaniye Mosque...

Some views from Ephesus:

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 07:47

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

No. I mean the Ottoman ciilization which was influenced with Roman civilization.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 14:27

Cyrus, I challenge you to post a picture of something not from Iran!

Azimuth-97 feet tall.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 10:06

Ok, one the greatest world heritage monuments, the Parthian city of Hatra in Iraq, the masterpiece of both Greek and Persian architecture:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 23:46
I find most aspects of Armenian "civilization" to be highly derivative, but there are some things that strike me as being quasi-unique, such as our alphabet, the duduk and perhaps this architecture:

Does this architecture seem unique to you?

Maybe it might have been influenced by Parthian or Persian architectural designs, but I have never seen this kind of style outside of the Armenian community.

It's kind of suprising because theoretically you would expect Armenian churches to look a lot more Byzantine.

Edited by caligari
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>