Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedconquest of attila the hun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
attiladecendant View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: conquest of attila the hun
    Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 03:56
hey anyone got info (maps etc. . .) on the conquests of attila and his uncle?
shinobi
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 04:03

Edited by Raider
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 04:13

just curiosity, do the magars accept Atilla as they ancestor?

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 10:21
Yes a lot do, we even have a couple Magyars in this forum that do.  A few months ago a group of Magyars in Hungary attempted to gain recognition from the government as an official ethnic group.  They failed, I think because they didn't have enough people to back them up.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 10:44
No, I mean as a whole people, If I am not wrong, Huns didnt return back, they stayed hungary.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 11:48
No, I don't think so, other than the group of people in Hungary.  A lot of Huns did return to Asia once Atilla died.  I guess they just assimilated into Turk or Mongol culture.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 12:00
The Huns in europe were never very numerous in the first place, probably about 10,000 according to some estimates. Local barbarians far outnumbered the Huns in the Hunnic empire. So when their empire collapsed, it's difficulty to trace where the orignal Huns went. Some say they merged with the Magyars after moving back into Asia.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 14:57
Raider, how accurate is that map?
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
doorman View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 17:36
Didn't the Huns end up becoming  the Bulgars?  As I recall the  Bulgars  split into two groups, one became th Volga Bulgars settling  around the Volga river east of Moscow and the other settled  in Bulgaria.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 06:24
Originally posted by Degredado

That's a sweet map--nicely done.  I once saw a similar map that even included what is now Denmark and southern Sweden within Attila's domain.  So, there seems to be some debate as to the accuracy of drawing maps of Attila's empire.  However, based on the available historical sources, Raider's map reflects the general consensus regarding borders.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 14:31
Dear Doorman,
   Hi there. Well, I was going to ask similar question. Bulgars also claim to be Hun desendant. Some other Eastern Europeans do the same too. Anyhow, they're all related to each other, aren't they? Their culture, their languages are alike. Take care...
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 17:35
I don't think there's a way to answer that question in terms of ethnology because we're not sure what the Hunnic ethnicity really is. If we are to define Huns are people who came from the Central steppes, then it would be highly improbably that Bulgars have much trace of Hunnic descent. On the other hand, it is possible that ancestors of the Bulgars were part of the Hunnic Empire. So in that respect, it is understandable for many eastern European to claim a link to the Huns.

A similar case is with the Byzantines and the Russian Romanovs claiming linkage to the Romans, while not being people of the "Latin" ethnicity. In fact, I would bet that even in the Roman Empire itself, Latin ethnicity was less than 5%.

People like to take advantage of the fact that some of these empires were very large, while not fully respecting the fact that they contained a diverse group of people.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 19:28
The Bulgars also came from the steppe, so it's very possible they're descendents of the Huns.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 23:06
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

A similar case is with the Byzantines and the Russian Romanovs claiming linkage to the Romans, while not being people of the "Latin" ethnicity. In fact, I would bet that even in the Roman Empire itself, Latin ethnicity was less than 5%.

People like to take advantage of the fact that some of these empires were very large, while not fully respecting the fact that they contained a diverse group of people.

This is true. The Hunnic Empire itself was made of very few Huns. The common folk of the empire was largely comprised of Germanic tribes, Dacians and perhaps Slavs as well.

As for the Roman Empire, a theory of mine is that the genuine Latin ethnicity ceased to exist early in its history. It was Roman practice to send Romans to newly conquered lands to make the people more accepting of Roman rule. As the people of Latium were dispersed into the new provinces, newly conquered people came to Latium, and soon there were no 'Latins', only Latin speakers.

The reason why the Byzantines and, to a lesser extent, the Russians claimed lineage to the Roman Empire is not because of race. The Byzantines based the structure of their society upon the original Roman model, and in turn, the Russians based the structure of their society on the Byzantines. So logically, the Russians could trace their lineage back to Rome.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 02:48
Yeah, Bulgars came from the steppes; what's more their language is sometimes classifed as a sub- family of Ural- Altaic group.
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Turkic10 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 18:54

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I don't think there's a way to answer that question in terms of ethnology because we're not sure what the Hunnic ethnicity really is. If we are to define Huns are people who came from the Central steppes, then it would be highly improbably that Bulgars have much trace of Hunnic descent. On the other hand, it is possible that ancestors of the Bulgars were part of the Hunnic Empire. So in that respect, it is understandable for many eastern European to claim a link to the Huns.

The Romanovs claiming Roman linkage when in reality they were of Viking decent. What ever works I guess!  

Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 03:57
Originally posted by Mortaza

just curiosity, do the magars accept Atilla as they ancestor?

No, I mean as a whole people, If I am not wrong, Huns didnt return back, they stayed hungary.

1. Well in medieval chronicles he is a Hungarian king. In modern times yes, he is accepted as an mythic ancestor.

2. As much as I know the bulk of the hun population was never lived in the territory of later Hungary. Most of them remained their "original" homeland north of the Black Sea.

Originally posted by Degredado

I have failed to find reliable and precise sources. I think this map and the other are merely a speculation.

Originally posted by doorman

Didn't the Huns end up becoming  the Bulgars?  As I recall the  Bulgars  split into two groups, one became th Volga Bulgars settling  around the Volga river east of Moscow and the other settled  in Bulgaria.

Yes they are. This is the base of the theory that Attila and the rpds related. The before conquest rpds married noble bulgarian women possibly the descendants of Attila. Latest historians reject this theory because of the lack of definite evidences.

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 01:21

Originally posted by doorman

Actually, they split into 5 groups led by khan Asparuh and his 4 brothers. Aparuh's Bulgars settled around the Danube and established the First Bulgarian empire in 681. Kuber's Bulgars settled in Macedonia. They both mixed heavily with the slavs and were united in one state by khan Krum, who annexed Macedonia to Bulgaria. He is the khan, who annexed Sofia, our modern capital, to the Bulgarian empire.

Khan Asparuh's biggest brother - Bayan, settled around the Volga and became leader of the Volga Bulgars.

One of his brothers, I don't remember who exactly, even made it to northern Italy, but the Bulgars there were assimilated. The other two made it to the Baltic coast and modern day Poland, but the Bulgars there were also assimilated from the locals and vanished from the historic scene.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 03:25
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

Khan Asparuh's biggest brother - Bayan, settled around the Volga and became leader of the Volga Bulgars.

They were accompanied by a group of Hungarians who lived with them. Medieval Hungarian chornicles mention their place as Magna Hungaria.Somewhere here:

In the first tierce of the XIII. century a Hungarian monk named Julianus found them and he was able to speak them in Hungarian language. On his second journey he found them devastated. The mongols detroyed them. According to linguist there are still Hungarian toponyms at this region.

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 12:03
I do know that Bulgarians and Hungarians have some sort of a relationship between them. I red it in a site, but can't remember it. Does anyone have any info about this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>