Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Greatest Islamic Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: which one the greatest
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [41.75%]
1 [0.97%]
9 [8.74%]
42 [40.78%]
1 [0.97%]
1 [0.97%]
5 [4.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.97%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greatest Islamic Empire
    Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 20:36
Ummayad Empire
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 02:33

@ Cok Gec

When Caesar rebelled against Rome and crossed Rubicon, his army was also called Romans.

Marcus Antonius' army was also called Roman, but they were garrisoned in Egypt.

Mehmet Ali Pasha, rebelled against the empire, he governed his province bu himself, not as a Viceroy.

He then marched to Constantinople. His whole ambition was that.

He was about to win it, but lost.

I am sure you also consider Mamelukes as an Arabic state too.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 03:08

well mehmet ali pasha's army was egyptians under Turkish and Albanian generals. not that egyptians doesn't mean All arabs.

about memluks i know that they were from different races but majority was turkish ,but dont know really what was the official language of their empire?

was it turkish or arabic?

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 03:56

you still confuses stuff.....Read my question again. Don't tell me Mehmet Ali is an Ablanian or a hindu, just answer the question. His army is what? An Arab army or a Turk Army?

Mamelukes spoke Arabic, so they are Arab for sure. You know that concept of language barrier rather than an ethnicity. Many Albanians writers are considered to be turks. Now tha is another story. Just answer the above question

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 07:48

In fact his army a mix of Arab,Turk,Alban(Arnaoot).

In his earlier reign he was in the service of Sultan (Arabia campaign,Greek revolution and Sudanese campaign)after that he rebeled against Sultan because of a promise from Sultan to him to ,ake him governor of Syria but after the defeat at Navarino the Sultan refused and Mehmet marched toward Istanbol.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 13:11

Yeah, that is true. Mehmet Ali used to bring soldiers from abroad mostly Albanians, greek, other turks, georgian, and even european such as the author of the biography of his army i mentioned earlier.

This is a normal tactic used by the Ottomans in developing their jenessary army which is purely consisted of slave boys convert to Islam and given privilage to guarantee their loyality to the Sultan. Ottoman used the jenessary troops heavily since the establish of the Ottoman sultenate up to the mid of 1800's.  Jenessary troops were the decisive factor of winning a batle or losing it.

Now, the question is that you have to make up your mind, are turks who speak turkish or turks are those who are ethnically turks. Most Turks will agree especially that turkish is a language boundry rather than an ethnicity. This important because if you insist that Turks are ethnically turks and that is why Mamlukes are supposed to be turks despite they spoke Arabic, then Ottoman army was winning on Jenessaries who are not turks for sure by ethnicity.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 02:02
I guess you put him in difficult situation,In my opinion they were Ottoman people because they were under Ottoman rule and lived in Turkish land,Like you,You are not from Saudi Royal Family but you are Saudi Citizen.
Khalid Bin Walid
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 02:30

Well I just want him to be consistent Ahmed..

You cannot say Mehmet Ali army losing in Hijaz is not a turkish army because they were not all turks, while telling us stories of Ottoman conquest using the same soldiers and janessaries as being Turks!

And you cannot say Mamlukes are Turks because they are ethnically turks thought they spoke Arabic, but tell us again about the Turkish Janessaries where they are not ethnically Turks, they just spoke Turkish.

D.J. Kaufman
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 11:56

Agree,If he will say not Turk the military achievments will go a way to the slave,balkanian Janissaires whom in fact no origion Turk.

Khalid Bin Walid
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 15:30

Janissaries being Turks, mameluks being arabs, violets being blue isnt our point here. We arent compaing if Turks are more benefical for Islam or arabs. We are comparing Ottoman Empire, as a whole empire not as its founder nation, with the Ummayad Caliphate.

Mameluks werent Turks or arabs, they were Mamelukes. Ottomans werent Turks, Albanians or Yemenis, they were Ottomans. National identities for multiethnical empires are fabricated.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 15:53

Finally the voice of reason

I have no point here rather than cornering him in his own words..go back to previous posts.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 16:48
So, what is his army will be called? Albanians? cuz that is also most of the jenissaries troops.

Albanians were too few in numbers to provide the majority of Janissaries, the Janissaries were mostly made up of slavs.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 20:13

Sorry, this is out of topic, but how do you say your singature?

"Ku sht shpata, sht feja"

Is the   pronounciation is different to the e? is the J here pronounced like "Ye" as in Serajivo?

D.J. Kaufman
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 20:21
Thats just how we use e actually. Theres not regular e in Albanian. We pronounce like eh. And J is pronounced like y in yeah

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Asena View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 00:35

Which Empire was "better"?

It seems Most getting their History lessons from Hollywood movies and "story" books.. Lets make a general comparison of Empires:

The one that is called "barbarian" Ottoman Empire, and "Civilized" western "Empires"..
Let's see these "barbarians!" ruled half of the world for 600 years , but not one Christian Country population have been forced to convert to Islam, yet The "civilized" nations invaded latin America, Africa, Asia, they all have been (nicely) converted to Christianity. I havent read any "exterminated" population under this "Barbarians", yet I have read the extermiantion of Indigenous people all over the world by "civilized" nations. No other Country, remaining 600 years under Turkish domination, speaks Turkish but their own language, yet wherever the "civilized" nations conquered , or dominated, they have spoken the language of conquerers ...Either English, Spanish, or French..
People from all religions lived peacefully together under this "Barbarian" empire.; Like Jews, Muslims & Christians in Middle east, especially in Phalestine, Similiarly in Bulgaria,and  North Africa.
"Civilized" results of  The "Civilized" empires'  exterminate, convert ,divide & conquer policy has been the bloodiest of all, still today.

They were some strange "barbarians"this Ottoman Empire I should say..
They kept all the Arab nations together for centuries with an "Arab pride", Then came the "Lawrence of Arabia" era, and divided and conquered ..any pride?, Then came the John Negroponte era first  latin America and then Iraq,soon Lebnan, Syria (rest already inthe hands),,divide and conquer...any pride?
People who do not study and draw lessons from history, will be facing the same consequences of past history...A self deceptive pride...

Asena View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 01:11

"""""""are turks who speak Turkish or Turks are those who are ethnically turks. Most Turks will agree especially that turkish is a language boundry rather than an ethnicity. """""""

This is an example of how  much you know about history..Turkish is not a language boundry it is an ethnic boundry..Turks spoke Turkish 7000 years ago, still speak Turkish with inevitable variations and influences. Language they speak mostly taken the name of the tribes later nations/minorities (like Uygurs in western China), like Azeri, Kirgiz, Turkmen, etc yet still it is Turkish .. Language boundry you are talking about is, if it is Uralic or  Altaic base language..here is an  example of variations of Turkish language, which was later called Turkic by the same "civilized" Empires in order to use the same divide and conquer policy, trying to give the impression that it is language boundries.. Oguz and Ogur tribes come from Asena tribe who spoke Turkish,

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 13:16
Originally posted by Asena

This is an example of how  much you know about history..Turkish is not a language boundry it is an ethnic boundry..Turks spoke Turkish 7000 years ago, still speak Turkish with inevitable variations and influences. Language they speak mostly taken the name of the tribes later nations/minorities (like Uygurs in western China), like Azeri, Kirgiz,....

So now I don't know about history? . Im afraid that me -the ignorant- will correct your turkish information

First, you cannot say they spoke Turkish. In English language, Turkish is the language of Turkey only and other languages are called Turkic to distinguish them.

And yeah! Turkish is a language boundary if you like it or not, because if Turkish is the language of Turkey, and Turkey has no one uniformed race, then it is a clear language connection and not ethnic. Com'on! what is the similarities between Mehmet of Istanbul and Mehmet of Uyghur in their face look? Anyhow, I know you will repeat to me the same argument "but some Uyghurs are blonde..bla bla" Yeah Yeah, they are called mixed Uyghur.

Whatever, let me just save my time and your time, Just go read that all in Wikipedia. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 14:33

well jenisaries were not Turkish, but the system growt them was turkic. Ottomans were not complately at Turkish empire. So memluks were not too.

But you cannot call ottomans as albanian, or arabic empire. do you?

memluks were same, we call It as a turkic empire, because their ruler was Turks. We know who is their people.

Langauge has not much job at here. Langauge was changing in time, so should we call ottomans a little ethnic than Turkey turks, because of arabic or persian words?

Mehmet of Istanbul and Mehmet of Uyghur in their face look?

Well you can find a lot different Mehmet in Turkey too, point?

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 19:52

Originally posted by Mortaza

But you cannot call ottomans as albanian, or arabic empire. do you?

memluks were same, we call It as a turkic empire, because their ruler was Turks. We know who is their people.

Who are you talking to? No one here called Ottomans as Albanian. Go back to previous posts. The analysis is simple. Choose what is the turkish tie between you from Turkey and an Uyghur in East China, Ethnic? Language? or both? After you answer we will see what is the topic even.

Langauge has not much job at here. Langauge was changing in time, so should we call ottomans a little ethnic than Turkey turks, because of arabic or persian words?.

Wasn't my point. My point was clear already as yourself used it correctly. Say Turkish language for turkey, but say Turkic for other turkic languages. Don't confuse the termonology. That is all. Do I have to teach you my Turkish friend what you call your language correctly in English?

Mehmet of Istanbul and Mehmet of Uyghur in their face look?

Well you can find a lot different Mehmet in Turkey too, point?

Really? there is Mehmet too in Istanbul? . I know dude. The question was even cut from its half, but anyhow, read the sentance again. It says "in their face look".  Sorry, wasn't my theory that what ties a Turkish person from Istanbul with a Turkic person in Uyghur land is only the language. Not the ethnicity.

Afterall, think about it. It will be almost like saying the Portuguese race!!, There is no Portuguese race, there is Europeans in Portugal, and a mix of European, Mestizo, Africans, American Indians...etc in Brazil. Portuguese is a language bound not an ethnic one.

Female deity with bowl of flowers, eleventh/twelfth century. Sengim, Xinjiang. Wall painting. Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Preuischer Kulturbesitz. Museum fr Indische Kunst. Photo Jrgen Liepe.
     VS  The Sultan Mehmet II, Att. Gentile Bellini, 1480. Oil on canvas. The National Gallery, London. Photo  The National Gallery, London.

Damn! Look up there. they must be of the same ethnicity .  That is an Uyghur and that is Mehmet II. If you don't agree that they are of different race, talk to the Turkish Royal Academy of the government in London under the people section to change that too on their website: http://www.turks.org.uk/index.php 

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 20:16

Cok Gec,

I recommend this book to you. It has very interesting information about ethnical identity of The Ottomans.

http://www.ideefixe.com/kitap/tanim.asp?sid=IJO5ZZ5OO66I6LOU M000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>