Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Greatest Islamic Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: which one the greatest
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [41.75%]
1 [0.97%]
9 [8.74%]
42 [40.78%]
1 [0.97%]
1 [0.97%]
5 [4.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.97%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greatest Islamic Empire
    Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 10:52

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

"Hamam" is the thing you know as Turkish bath, also famous all over the world.

Hamam is the continuation of Roman and Greek baths. Ottomans learned & adopted them from the Byzantines.

Hamam, like the Roman bath, has three rooms: the grand, steamy hot room (caldarium) for steam-soaking and massage; the warm room (tepidarium) for washing with soap and water; and the cool room for resting after the bath.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 10:58
Hamam means bath in Persian, dunno where it has originated from tho.
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 11:30
Chinese architectures discoverd an Hamam in an old Historical kings palace in Peking, ive read that on a newspaper few years ago (still remember )
OUT OF LIMIT
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 11:32
There is nothing called Greek bath. Yes, Hamam is the continuation of Roman bath. But it also has lots of differences, because it is highly influenced with the middle Eastern traditional bath culture...
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 11:58
Originally posted by erci

Originally posted by the Bulgarian

OK, perhaps I was wrong. But I don't know what is hamam. I know diuner, kebap, harem. And another thing- Bulgarians were eating yoghurt long before the Ottomans.

what does yogurt mean in Bulgarian?

It means nothing. We don't have this word in our language. It is English, not Bulgarian. The Bulgarian word for yogurt is kiselo mliako

And another thing. It's not known for sure what was the origin of the proto-bulgarians. Even if they were of Turkic origin we must add that Turkic and Turkish are two totaly different things, they just sound similar. The proto-bulgarians came from Central Asia, the Ottomans - from the Arabian peninsula. The Bulgarians formed a nation 700 years before the Ottomans. We have nothig in common. The Ottomans may have been the ones that popularized yogurt, but we were the ones that discovered it. Yogurt is produced with the help of a bacteria called Lactobacilus Bulgaricus.

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 12:29

Originally posted by erci

OK, perhaps I was wrong. But I don't know what is hamam. I know diuner, kebap, harem. And another thing- Bulgarians were eating yoghurt long before the Ottomans.

what does yogurt mean in Bulgarian?

It means nothing. We don't have this word in our language. It is English, not Bulgarian. The Bulgarian word for yogurt is kiselo mliako

And another thing. It's not known for sure what was the origin of the proto-bulgarians. Even if they were of Turkic origin we must add that Turkic and Turkish are two totaly different things, they just sound similar. The proto-bulgarians came from Central Asia, the Ottomans - from the Arabian peninsula. The Bulgarians formed a nation 700 years before the Ottomans. We have nothig in common. The Ottomans may have been the ones that popularized yogurt, but we were the ones that discovered it. Yogurt is produced with the help of a bacteria called Lactobacilus Bulgaricus.

Hahahahahah, just funny how he describes Ottomans... Man ask to youre landmate gianni for help, just learn youre history better.

OUT OF LIMIT
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 12:50
What don't you like about my description of the Ottomans???
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 13:31
We call yoghurt, "maast" - like cheese and other dairy products and Kebab, I don't thinkt here was any inventors for it.
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 13:41

What don't you like about my description of the Ottomans???

The proto-bulgarians came from Central Asia, the Ottomans - from the Arabian peninsula. The Bulgarians formed a nation 700 years before the Ottomans. We have nothig in common. The Ottomans may have been the ones that popularized yogurt, but we were the ones that discovered it. Yogurt is produced with the help of a bacteria called Lactobacilus Bulgaricus.

Where did the ancestors of Ottomans came from do you think? Yoghurt whas invented by Volga bulgars ancestors of bulgarians today. Volga bulgars where a Turkic tribe like Turkmens (rulers of Ottoman empire) and like many other Turkic tribes.

OUT OF LIMIT
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 14:13

1- Turkic and Turkish are different things yes, Turkish- Turks of Turkey, Turkic, rest of the Turks. But both are referred as "Turk"s. So "Turkish" and "Turkic" doesnt just sound similar, they are the very same terms with classificational differences...

2- "Bulgar"s were definately a Turkic tribe, just like Avars, Onogur (Hungar)s etc. And they had the common nomadic Turkic cultural elements with all other Turks.

3- I dont know where you get Ottomans coming from Arabia. Osman Begh's father, Ertughrul Begh was a Turkmen Begh from Khorasan, and his father, Gunduz Alp Begh was directly coming from Central Asia. They were part of the Western Turks, a tribal union of "Oguz", and its "Kayi" clan.

3- According to the historical existance, the first Oguz leader, referred as "Oguz Khagan" was the very same person with Mao Dun, the Hunnic leader at 200 B.C. So long before Bulgars, there lived the proto-Oguz-Onok.

4- Bulgars came to the region before Ottomans, so it's natural that they introduced yoghurt before us to their neighbors. Yoghurt is a common Turkic word, from Mongolia to Hungary. And it was definately a nomadic Turkic invention, made by horse milk.

Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 14:14
Volga bulgars were ancestors of modern Bulgarians, not modern Turks, after all.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 14:23
But Volga Bulras ancestors were also Turks, that's why they were Turkic. And we cant say they are your total ancestors either, you dont even speak their language now.
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 14:30
If Turkic=Turkish, than congratulations - you are a Bulgarian or a Hungarian!!! Now, doesn't that sound absurd?
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 14:40
???
OUT OF LIMIT
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 14:54

...1- Turkic and Turkish are different things yes, Turkish- Turks of Turkey, Turkic, rest of the Turks. But both are referred as "Turk"s. So "Turkish" and "Turkic" doesnt just sound similar, they are the very same terms with classificational differences...

2- "Bulgar"s were definately a Turkic tribe, just like Avars, Onogur (Hungar)s etc. And they had the common nomadic Turkic cultural elements with all other Turks...

Now do you get what I mean, Kenaney?

Edited by the Bulgarian
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 16:16

well, yogurt means yogurt in Turkish as it is sound uralic/altaic

Ottomans from Arabian peninsula? well you just proved that you are a joke.I'm not sure if you know where Arab Peninsula is.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 04:56

Bulgarians arent Turkic, but Bulgars were. You speak a Slavic language, but ancestoral Bulgars have spoken a very similar language to Kazakh, Kyrgiz etc.

erci, i dont think he says these because he wants to provoke, he is a logical and sensible debater, but he is heavily misinformed about this issue. and I'm explaining the truth.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 05:05

I am realy curious, do bulgarians  have any cultural relation with ancient bulgars? I mean It looks like relation is just the name of  country.

Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 08:03

...erci, i dont think he says these because he wants to provoke, he is a logical and sensible debater, but he is heavily misinformed about this issue. and I'm explaining the truth.

You are right Oguzoglu. I was misinformed about where the Ottomans came from and I didn't want to provoke you. But why did you react like that? Do Turks think its insulting if someone says they came from Arabia?

And I am very well informed about the Bulgars.

To erci I will say that Bulgarians haven't preserved anything of the Bulgars's culture. They were completely assimilated by the Slavs, both in phisycal and cultural aspect. They only gave the name of the country and the people and left a few toponyms.

Edited by the Bulgarian
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 08:14

its not insulting if someone says that turk came from Arabia, its just False statment and shows big lack of knowledge about turks.

Ottomans were Turks and they cam from central Asia 100s of years before they establish the Ottoman Empire.

Edited by azimuth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>