Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Greatest Islamic Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: which one the greatest
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [41.75%]
1 [0.97%]
9 [8.74%]
42 [40.78%]
1 [0.97%]
1 [0.97%]
5 [4.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.97%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greatest Islamic Empire
    Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 08:09

Were all of those territories owned at once?  I know Ottomans were in my Kermanshah only twenty years and it is included as part of the Empire.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 08:15

what about Oman?

first time i hear that Ottomans reached there and made it part of their empire ! it was under portugese occupation as far as i know

plus if you compare sizes  no islamic empire beats the size of Umayyads and later the Abbasides.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 08:20
Size doesnt matter, but the importance of the conquered region. If Ottomans' main target was Africa, all Africa would be under Ottoman rule, but it wasnt necessary at all, just like they didnt even try to enter the deserts of inner Arabia, because those lands were useless .
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 08:43
Originally posted by azimuth

what about Oman?

first time i hear that Ottomans reached there and made it part of their empire ! it was under portugese occupation as far as i know

plus if you compare sizes  no islamic empire beats the size of Umayyads and later the Abbasides.

Good point Azimuth no islamic empire reached the size of Umayyads & Abbasides except Timurid empire.

Oman remain under Ottoman ruled about 35 years then they lost it.I think  all Persian Gulf area especialy Arab  peninsula were not important for ottoman.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 08:50
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Igonre Afsharid empire, these are four Great Islamic Empires:

Ashtarkhanid Empire
One of the greatest Central Asian empires

Nadir shah overthrown this empire forever by two battles at Bukhara and Khiva.

Ottoman Empire
spanned three continents, Europe, Asia and Africa

Nadir shah defeated Ottomans at Baghavand and killed Osman Pasha.

Mughal Empire
covered almost the entire the Indian subcontinent.

Nadir Shah defeated the Mughals at Karnal and took Emperor Muhammad Shah prisoner.

Yarubid Empire
Known as the supreme power of the coastal regions of the Indian Ocean, included eastern Arabia and almost all eastern countries of Africa

Nadir shah defeated Yarubids in a great naval battle and captured their capital Muscat.

Of course Nadir Shah also conquered parts of Russia but Russian Empire was not an Islamic empire!

Cyrus I think you gave us a hint.

This hint say Nader shah empire is the gretest islamic empire, well  I can a gree with you in one thing this thing is Nader shah was one of greatest muslims military and political leader but his empire had s shortlife time.

I admire Nader shah and his ability and his empire but no one after him could macth him not in persian only but in whole islamic world.

Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 09:49
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Size doesnt matter, but the importance of the conquered region. If Ottomans' main target was Africa, all Africa would be under Ottoman rule, but it wasnt necessary at all, just like they didnt even try to enter the deserts of inner Arabia, because those lands were useless .
Oguzoglu you are wrong  Africa in that time would not be easy target (jungle,berber tribes,diseas) if Ottoman did it it would been a hard trip with heavy losses. 
Khalid Bin Walid
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 04:57
I don't know that much about islamic cultures, but I think the Ottoman empire was the strongest of all islamic empires in military aspect. However, in cultural and in scientific aspect, it didn't give the world anything significant. They nearly prevented the creation of the computer. The father of the creator of the computer ( John Atanasov) was a baby when an uprising against the Ottomans occured in Bulgaria. The Turks slaughtered the hole village except for this baby, that they accidently didn't notice. It was going to die of starvation if a passing peasent hadn't seen it. That baby grew up to become the father of John Atanasov, who invented the computer.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 06:46
Lucky man.In which year the Ottoman did it and why?
Khalid Bin Walid
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 07:33

Are you asking about the uprising? It was in april 1876 and is called the April uprising.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 09:53

Why the uprising happened ?

How Bulgarian history consider Ottomans?

Khalid Bin Walid
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 13:12

However, in cultural and in scientific aspect, it didn't give the world anything significant.

As you said before, if you really dont know, please dont claim wrong things. Ottoman arts, especially calligraphy are famous all over the world. Ottoman military band was the first of its kind, influenced with Roman. Ottoman music was far improved from its age's regulars. Ottoman architecture contributed lots of techniques into Europe. And you know Turkish hamam right?

All ancient Islamic-Middle Eastern history and philospohy knowledge was synthesized by Ottomans. Ottoman poetry and literature was very famous also. Ottomans was a total civilization of their own.

Also, coffee and yoghurt are contributed to our common cultural wealth by Ottomans...

In terms of science, have a look at this:

http://www.muslimheritage.com/features/default.cfm?ArticleID =436

Edited by Oguzoglu
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 14:46

OK, perhaps I was wrong. But I don't know what is hamam. I know diuner, kebap, harem. And another thing- Bulgarians were eating yoghurt long before the Ottomans.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 15:07
A hamam is a public bath, typical of Muslim societies. Somehow like Nordic sauna but with stone instead of wood. It's cool: very relaxing. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 22:13
I think the Umayyad was the greatest because they had more global prestige than any other Islamic empire. One way to look at it is the amount of trade power that went through the Umayyad, which was by far the most dominant in Western Eurasia. Another point of view is that at their time, the only other empire that could equal the Ummayad was the Tang empire, and that was far away from Ummayyad. On the other hand, while the Ottoman Empire was also a great empire, it did not have the global prestige. The Timurid, Safavid, Mughul, Ming, and Qing Empires could all considered to be on par with the Ottomans, far more than the list for the Umayyad. In terms of economic power, the Ottomans did not have the dominance the Umayyad did in the Indian ocean, since there were also two other Islamic Empire there at the time. Later, the trade link into europe would decline in prominence as Europeans started getting around by forming sea-basd trade empires.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 22:21
So what I meant was that even though the Ottomans were a great empire, it existed in a time when there were many other great empires and civilizations, including the rising Europeans. On the other hand, the Ummayad existed when there was only one other that could match it in culture and dominance, far away in the East (sorry, Byzantium). 
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 02:31

All great in their own way. However. all had their bad points, and that's why (sadly)-they didn't last..

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 03:58
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

OK, perhaps I was wrong. But I don't know what is hamam. I know diuner, kebap, harem. And another thing- Bulgarians were eating yoghurt long before the Ottomans.

what does yogurt mean in Bulgarian?

Edited by erci
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 05:46

Yes, Bulgars had yoghurt, and they were originally Turkic. Yoghurt is a food of nomad, and when Ottomans were becoming famous throughout the European societies, their traditions, culture, food etc. were all becoming famous and known by the Europeans. Since Ottoman dynasty was originally the Kayi clan of Oguz, they had protected some of their past nomadic traditions, including yoghurt. And the Europeans learned yoghurt from Ottomans, not from Bulgarians.

"Hamam" is the thing you know as Turkish bath, also famous all over the world.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 07:08

in Arabic Haman is the Bath room.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 10:44

Wasnt it "Hela"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>