Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Melungeons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Melungeons
    Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 23:44

I just saw this on tv and pulled up a website:

http://www.sparksgenealogy.net/melungeons.html

The Melungeon Connection 
Are you familiar with the term Melungeon? If you answer, "Who or what are Melungeons," you are like most people. If you have been researching your family in the Cumberland Plateau of Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Tennessee, during the early migration years, you may be able find them through a connection to this newly re-discovered group of people. The Melungeons are a people of apparent Mediterraneaan descent who may have settled in the Appalachian wilderness as early or possibly earlier than 1567. According to Dr. N. Brent Kennedy, the author of 'The Melungeons: The Resurrection of a Proud People', the Melungeons were "a people who almost certainly intermarried with Powhatans, Pamunkeys, Creeks, Catawbas, Yuchis, and Cherokees to form what some have called, perhaps a bit fancifully, 'a new race'."

Certain surnames are associated with this unusual and highly interesting group of people. This is absolutely THE MOST fascinating thing I have EVER run into in my 20 years of researching.

The Melungeons were 'discovered' in the Appalachian Mountains in 1654 by English explorers and were described as being 'dark-skinned with fine European features," (meaning they were not black) and as being 'a hairy people, who lived in log cabins with peculiar arched windows,' (meaning they were not Indians). They practiced the Christian religion, and told the explorers in broken Elizabethan English, that they were 'Portyghee,' but were described as being 'not white,' that is, not of Northern European stock, even though some of them had red hair and others had VERY striking blue or blue/green eyes. This is something I had never heard of. I mean, I learned in school about the Lost Colony and Jamestown in 1607, Plymouth in 1620, with a few Spaniards and a smattering of Vikings thrown in for good measure. Where did these people come from? Recent research is answering that question. And it appears that they may be a combination of Turks, Spaniards, Portugese, Moor, Berber, Jew and Arab.

The Melungeon descendants have some rather unique physiological characteristics. There is a bump on the back of the head of some descendants, that is located at mid-line, just above the juncture with the neck. It is about the size of half a golf ball or smaller. If you cannot find the bump, check to see if you like some descendants, including myself, have a ridge, located at the base of the head where it joins the neck, rather than the Anatolian bump. My ridge is quite noticeable. It is larger than anyone else's that I have felt. I can lay one finger under it and the ridge is as deep as my finger is thick. Other ridges are smaller. To find a ridge, place your hand at the base of your neck where it joins your shoulders, and on the center line of your spine. Run your fingers straight up your neck toward your head. If you have a ridge, it will stop your fingers from going on up and across your head.

There is also a ridge on the back of the first four teeth (upper and lower) of some descendants. If you place your fingernail at the gum line and gently draw (up or down) you can feel it and it makes a slight clicking sound. The back of the teeth also curve outward rather than straight as the descendants of anglo-saxon parentage do. Teeth like these are called Asian Shovel Teeth.

Some descendants have what is called an Asian eyefold. This is rather difficult to describe. At the inner corner of the eye, the upper lid attaches slightly lower than the lower lid. That is to say that it overlaps the bottom lid. If you place your finger just under the inner corner of the eye and gently pull down, a wrinkle will form which makes the fold more visible. Some people call these eyes, "sleepy eyes, dreamy eyes, bedroom eyes."

Some families may have members with fairly dark skin who suffer with vitiligo, a loss of pigmentation, leaving the skin blotched with white patches. Some descendants have had six fingers or toes. There is a family of people in Turkey whose surname translated into English is "Six Fingered Ones."

There are some Mediterranean diseases which show up in some of the descendants of the Melungeons. Some of these diseases can be quite severe, even life threatening, and if you or a family member have suffered from a mysterious illness, I can give you the names of these, but there is ongoing research into some areas that are less severe, but which pose problems for some descendants who seem to suffer with them. Sleep problems, including periodic limb movement, shaky (restless/active) leg syndrome, and sleep apnea are among these. Allergies, including lactose intolerance, are another.

If your family has an Indian Grandmother (father) 'myth' which you have been unable to prove, and they have been hard to trace and they lived in NC, TN, KY, VA, WV areas in the early migration years or if they seem to have moved back and forth in these areas and if they share any of the mentioned surnames and characteristics, you may find a connection here. Some descendants do not show the physical characteristics and of course, there are many people with the surnames who are not connected to this group.

Dr. N. Brent Kennedy author of, 'The Melungeons: The Resurrection of a Proud People,' started the recent research into this group of people. His book is a must read for anyone who is connected to this group. Most bookstores can order this book in paperback for you. Dr. Kennedy documents his own family tree in the book and gives some startling theories which are being confirmed by current researchers. He mentions the need to hide the family connection to the Melungeon community as the main reason our Melungeon ancestors are so hard to find.

Why would anyone want to hide their family's background? These proud, strong, courageous, people were discriminated against by their Scots-Irish and English neighbors as they moved into the areas where the Melungeons lived. They wanted the rich valley lands occupied by the Melungeons they found residing there. They discriminated against the Melungeons because they were darker skinned than their own anglo-saxon ancestors and because this helped them obtain the lands they coveted. This discrimination carried into the 1940's-50's and perhaps even longer because of the work of a man called Plecker who was the state of Virginia's Director of Vital Statistics and an avowed racist. He labeled the Melungeons, calling them mongrels and other worse terms - some were labeled FPC - Free Person of Color in Virginia. This in turn led to their children being labeled as Mulatto (M) and both of those terms came to mean "BLACK." If you find such a term for any of your ancestors, it does not necessarily mean that they actually were black. Some Melungeon families married white, some black, some Indian, some a combination. But for all of them the terms led to rulings in which they couldn't own property, they couldn't vote, and they couldn't school their children. Is it any wonder that they became ANYTHING else in order to do these things? They hid their backgrounds with the Indian myth, with the orphan myth (my family are all dead) , and the adopted myth, and they changed either the spelling of their surnames or they picked an entirely new name, moving many times, anything to distance themselves from their Melungeon heritage. They became 'Black Dutch,' 'Black Irish,' or some other combination to hide their "otherness." Is it any wonder they are so hard to find?

My own Melungeon family were Collinses that were connected with the Cunningham family. It took me twenty years of searching to find only this little bit of information on them. I have this:

William Cunningham b. abt 1777 in VA, d. aft 1850, prob in Johnson Co.,KY m. Rachel ? (may be Countiss) b. abt 1791 in MD

Issue:

So of these muylti ethnic settlers which supposedly medditernaian nation could they come from?  Who had sailing ships near Virginia and North Carlonia and how the hell did they move into the Appalachians and leave no mark near the coast or in between?

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 15:11
I read something about them sometime ago and the hypothesis I liked best was that they were Turks, maybe shipwrecked or fugitive slaves of the Spaniards or sailors working with the Portugese...

Apparently, the typical head bump is not rare in Anatolia and melun can means something like "one that has lost his luck" in Turk. (But our Turk members will say best).

Other Mediterranean origins are possible as well. They don't seem to be mulattos as the name Melungeon could seem to mean in some dialectal French or as Angloamericans seem to have believed for some time.

Sadly I don't keep any of the links I read but a simple search should give you a little bunch of sites on the issue.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 16:10
I've done some reading on the Meluncan, very interesting.  Meluncan means damned soul.  They're weren't only Turks, they were East Indians, Arabs, Spaniards and English as well as Turks, I do think that the majority of them were Turks though.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 16:28

what happened to their religion? why didn It live?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 16:43

They were Christians it says there.

I have the bump on the back of the head and I think shovel teeth if I got the description right, but I am pretty sure I am not a melunjanian.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 17:44
They obviously converted, most were assimilated into Americans.  There's still a good size population of Meluncan that recognize their origins and still identify themselves as Meluncan, but they are still Christian.  In a city in Tenessee there's a Turkish flag on the welcoming sign for the city and in Turkey they named a street name and a couple other things after that city.  Every year they hold conventions and cultural events.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 14:52
Well, in Portugal, many consider the melungeons to be Portuguese descendents, and that any turkish claim is holy horse radish.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 15:03
Some in Britian claim they were Welsh/Irish/Scotish-African-Native American ancestry, seems who they are depends on who you are 

AFAIK, the term basicly has come to mean people from Southeastern US of uncertain mixed ancestry, inevitably being a combination of European/African/Native American/Middle Eastern. As such it may well have come to represent different groups identified by ousiders for their 'mixedness'. I think its the result of mainstream US culture for years not really aknowledging said mixedness in any meaningfull way, so they all sort of became Melungeon, but no-one can agree exactly what or who or where they are.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 00:31

They were there before the English settlers, and practiced a strange form of catholocism so clearly they had already converted before the English came.  My question is why they moved the highlands and left no sign by the coast.  Genetic test have shown that Melungeons are definately Mediteranian, definately Cherokee, and definately African, the question is really which kind of Mediteranian they were. 

And what the ehll are shovel teeth?

-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 01:16
Eh?
Their own site suggests that they are still uncertainen AFAIK.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 01:19
well many other sites Ive found recently say the native american and african links are definte.  Of course ones definition of definite could certainly be variable.
-Alexander Hamilton
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 04:58
Run your tongue from the top of your front two chisel teeth (or bottom ones) to the bottom. Is it a flat line from top to bottom? Then you don't have shovel teeth, but if it isn't straight and is curved / rises towards the bottom then u have shovel teeth.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 14:10
well many other sites Ive found recently say the native american and african links are definte.

That bit is definite, but its the other bit that is the million dollar question.
I really think its because lots of different 'mixed' groups have been umbrellared under the Melungeon term.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply