Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLetters between Caliph Omar ibn Hattab and Yazdegerd III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Letters between Caliph Omar ibn Hattab and Yazdegerd III
    Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 14:26

Originally posted by PrznKonectoid

But it was NOT 700 years of Arab rule. If you do not remember, Yaqoob-e-Leis kicked the caliphate out of Iran. Ferdowsi also wrote the Shahnameh in a bid to preserve Iranian culture. So it was not 700 years of Arab rule for the religion to sink in..

Read again carefully. Who said 700 years of Arab rule? Read down again what I posted carefully:

Originally posted by ok ge

Maybe. However, we are talking about 700 hundreds years of Islamic heritage before the Safavid and Zoroastrains were 20% or 10% or whatever.

Notice the use of "Islamic Heritage" and not Arab rule. I don't know how you missed that anyhow.

I believe it was more, but, going with 1.5%, if you are rich 1.5% is not as big a deal. While if you are extremely poor, even 1.5% is a lot to pay. .

Ok, Im seriously considering if you at all read what we post. You said "While if you are extremely poor,then 1.5% is a lot to pay". You have to read what we post before you answer PrznKnectoid. You even asnwered me after quoting me on this:

This is a wrong statement for various reasons.

1- Jizyah is a percentage of 1.5% and  is not a fixed sum of money that is required. Thus, a rich man can pay his 1.5% as 1000 gold coin, and a poor one can have his 1.5% to ony one gold coin.

2- 1.5% Jizyah on "free available money and property". If you are so poor that you have no outstanding money and no property, then obviously you have your Jizyah as 1.5%* 0= 0

How do you quote me and not read it by yourself!!

Now regarding that you "believe it is much more than 1.5%" that is up to you. Jizyah under Islamic jurisdiction cannot be over 2.5% which the what the Muslims have to pay for the government as a Zakah pay. If you are lucky as earlier Islamic rules with 1.5% then it is great. If you are charged 2.5% still as much as a Muslim pay. Jizyah Islamically cannot exceed that.

Read more about it here: http://www.answering-christianity.com/jizyah.htm

Now, did every single Islamic empire apply Jizyah fairly and according to the islamic law? that I cannot guarantee and is not my concern. After all, many Muslim empires charged their Muslim citizens even 10% taxes annually.!!!

And Arabs had an intense hatred for non-Muslims. I come from a Muslim family, it is still this way today.

Some Arabs hates their follow Arabs. Azeris in Azerbaijan hating some Iranians. What is your point here? Thank you anyhow for sharing that PERSONAL experience.

here is what Khalid said to a Roman

Khalid: "Actually, what brought us out of our lands is that we are a people who drink blood, and it has reached us that there is no blood tastier than Roman blood.".

And then The Roman said: but we can offer you some cow blood, but Khalid refused and said: No I want a high quality Roman blood. How can you ship it?

Dude! seriously think before you post! I don't see this anywhere in any credible source so far. This is just a complete joke.

The site you provided doesn't link you directly to the quotes. Do you want me to go over the whole website to search for your own quotes?

Also in its front page, it says in wide bold font:

The author undoubtedly made some mistakes in the book and the sections above point out some of these mistakes. Therefore, it is important to read these sections before going onto the book.

http://www.swordofallah.com/front.htm

Mongols did not have a religion, or much of a civilized history. .

Yes, they did have a form of religion. Read again:

The earliest religion of the Mongols was shamanism, a set of beliefs practiced across North Asia for millennia and still practiced today in many communities

http://www.asia.msu.edu/eastasia/Mongolia/religion.html < that is an educational instittue specilized in the Mongolian history.

Iranians did.  How a religion which forces women to cover up, makes alcohol illegal, and is very controlling is "a better religion". I dont know.

You need to pack up and explain more. I never heard of forcing women to cover up. Why is alcohol being illegal an issue to you? the US banned alchohol too in their late 1920's for the same reasons. No Muslim was ruling US that time

Also, before you start throwing accusation everywhere with no support, do you know Zoroastrian women have always suffered because of purity laws concerning menstruation. They were isolated during this period and could not touch fire or water since they were regarded as impure.!!! Do you know that? That is what I call an ill-treatment of women.

If I came to you with "a better religion", on the condition that you learn my language, my dress, and culture, I doubt you would reject your Arab and Muslim heritage for me.

Well it was up to you. You can be a Muslim and you can be not. Many Christians in Palestine and Syria and Egypt are living there since 2000 years ago. No one told them or forced them to accept the Islamic culture. And what are you talking about? Don't you talk Persian? and Turks talk turks? don't you have a persian culture? Arent you free to dress like whatever you like? I think you are confused between Persian culture and Zoraostrian culture.  If you have problem with your Mullahs, dont' put your anger here. Find a proper thread.

I'm going to be away for couple days. That should give you more time to post something seroius and credible instead of the jokes above.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 18:31

at all read what we post. You said "While if you are extremely poor,then 1.5% is a lot to pay". You have to read what we post before you answer PrznKnectoid. You even asnwered me after quoting me on this:

This is a wrong statement for various reasons.

1- Jizyah is a percentage of 1.5% and  is not a fixed sum of money that is required. Thus, a rich man can pay his 1.5% as 1000 gold coin, and a poor one can have his 1.5% to ony one gold coin.

2- 1.5% Jizyah on "free available money and property". If you are so poor that you have no outstanding money and no property, then obviously you have your Jizyah as 1.5%* 0= 0

How do you quote me and not read it by yourself!!

Do You even understand mathematical, principles, apparently not. Just as well, Al-Khwarezm, the "Arab" who invented Algebra was actually an Iranian, and it truly shows.

If you are a millionaire and have to pay 1.5%, big deal you can still more than squeeze by. Being a poor person who barely makes enough to feed his or her family, 1.5% just adds insult to injury. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Now regarding that you "believe it is much more than 1.5%" that is up to you. Jizyah under Islamic jurisdiction cannot be over 2.5% which the what the Muslims have to pay for the government as a Zakah pay. If you are lucky as earlier Islamic rules with 1.5% then it is great. If you are charged 2.5% still as much as a Muslim pay. Jizyah Islamically cannot exceed that.

Read more about it here: http://www.answering-christianity.com/jizyah.htm

Now, did every single Islamic empire apply Jizyah fairly and according to the islamic law? that I cannot guarantee and is not my concern. After all, many Muslim empires charged their Muslim citizens even 10% taxes annually.!!!

Do not forget land taxes either. many Iranians also payed extortion and money for the safety of their villages. In addition many poor Iranians that couldn't pay were supposed to be left alone. Instead many men, women and children were taken as slaves. Dont believe me, just read the story of Umar and Pirouz, who was given nothing, or perhaps read the Quran, which allowed for sex slaves, though I understand that is out of practice today.

Some Arabs hates their follow Arabs. Azeris in Azerbaijan hating some Iranians. What is your point here? Thank you anyhow for sharing that PERSONAL experience.

But again, you dont actually think about what I am saying, your to eager to say your own things. Islam cultivates hatred toward non-Muslims. The Quran constantly reiterates that non-Muslims will be punished by Allah. It also rewards those who kill non-Muslims.

Just look at Jihad. I KNOW Jihad is supposed to be a war against yourself to purify your soul. But come on, how many practice it that way. Look at Muhammad himself whose wars led to the deaths of many. He destroyed the Pagan cultures before him and crushed all their culture. Now did Umar and Khalid retreat to meditation and work on "inner" Jihad, no the first thing they eyed was the wealth of Persia with Jealousy.

here is what Khalid said to a Roman

Khalid: "Actually, what brought us out of our lands is that we are a people who drink blood, and it has reached us that there is no blood tastier than Roman blood.".

And then The Roman said: but we can offer you some cow blood, but Khalid refused and said: No I want a high quality Roman blood. How can you ship it?

Dude! seriously think before you post! I don't see this anywhere in any credible source so far. This is just a complete joke.

The site you provided doesn't link you directly to the quotes. Do you want me to go over the whole website to search for your own quotes?

Also in its front page, it says in wide bold font:

The author undoubtedly made some mistakes in the book and the sections above point out some of these mistakes. Therefore, it is important to read these sections before going onto the book.

http://www.swordofallah.com/front.htm

yeah and that is the most Muslim site I can find. My point is if even that site admits massacre and other atrocities, that site which is so pro-Islamic, then what is their to say. I gave you that site because I felt you might be more reciprical. If your not satisfied I could always give you this site which is so extreme that I dont even agree with it entirely.

http://debate.org.uk/topics/history/xstnc-5.html

Yes, they did have a form of religion. Read again:

The earliest religion of the Mongols was shamanism, a set of beliefs practiced across North Asia for millennia and still practiced today in many communities

http://www.asia.msu.edu/eastasia/Mongolia/religion.html < that is an educational instittue specilized in the Mongolian history.

Iranians did.  How a religion which forces women to cover up, makes alcohol illegal, and is very controlling is "a better religion". I dont know.

You need to pack up and explain more. I never heard of forcing women to cover up. Why is alcohol being illegal an issue to you? the US banned alchohol too in their late 1920's for the same reasons. No Muslim was ruling US that time

Also, before you start throwing accusation everywhere with no support, do you know Zoroastrian women have always suffered because of purity laws concerning menstruation. They were isolated during this period and could not touch fire or water since they were regarded as impure.!!! Do you know that? That is what I call an ill-treatment of women.

If I came to you with "a better religion", on the condition that you learn my language, my dress, and culture, I doubt you would reject your Arab and Muslim heritage for me.

Well it was up to you. You can be a Muslim and you can be not. Many Christians in Palestine and Syria and Egypt are living there since 2000 years ago. No one told them or forced them to accept the Islamic culture. And what are you talking about? Don't you talk Persian? and Turks talk turks? don't you have a persian culture? Arent you free to dress like whatever you like? I think you are confused between Persian culture and Zoraostrian culture.  If you have problem with your Mullahs, dont' put your anger here. Find a proper thread.

I'm going to be away for couple days. That should give you more time to post something seroius and credible instead of the jokes above.

Well let's set things straight first. I said Mongols did not have "much" of a religion. Their Shamanic religion did not come from one prophet and depended to a large extent on their roaming life-style, once they encountered other civilization they changed their philosophies, Zoroastrianism is a different beast all together.

Well now Im not talking about the 1920's USA am I . Stay on Topic! If I was, I would be saying the same things about them.

You are mistakenly confusing Zoroastrianism with Pre-Zoroastrianism. Those rituals were from the pre-Zoroastrian beliefs which Zoroastrianism dispelled. Were their Zoroastrians who mistreated women, undoubtedly yes, just like any other peoples. But it did not actually endorse the inferiority of women like the Quran. If you really wanna understand Zoroastrianism check out this site. And yes you have to search. If that is too much for you then im sorry. 

http://www.ancientiran.com

Yes but Iranians were forced to speak Arabic for 200 years as a proven fact. Today farsi is has still a heavy arabic component of at least 20%, some dialects have far more. Just look at the name itself, Farsi is arabic (the Persian word for it was Parsi, but Arabs cannot pronounce the P so they changed to F).

Anything else you'd like me to educate you on, just let me know

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 20:17

Being a poor person who barely makes enough to feed his or her family, 1.5% just adds insult to injury. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

What is the relationship of Khawarizm and our discussion now? Or you just like to hear yourself talking?

My advice go read the post for the 4th time! and notice the figure 0. It is spelled Zero too, not a doughnut. Yes, that is zero meaning you pay nothing.

Islam cultivates hatred toward non-Muslims. The Quran constantly reiterates that non-Muslims will be punished by Allah. It also rewards those who kill non-Muslims. .

So far these are all allegations with no support. "Islam cultivate hatred"? Your ego is just what makes you blind here. Quran talks about a reward killing non-Muslims! I really doubt you are a Muslim as you claim. Anyhow, first I ask you to act as a mature person and bring evidance of your allegation. Second, I call on the moderator to follow up with your unsupported & repetitive  allegation.

Look at Muhammad himself whose wars led to the deaths of many. He destroyed the Pagan cultures before him and crushed all their culture. .

I suggest you go and educate yourself more on history. The prophet was prosecuted for 13 years in Mecca and was attacked first by those Pagans you love. How peaceful you want him? evacuate Madinah and go spread the religion in the moutains maybe? Duh!

no the first thing they eyed was the wealth of Persia with Jealousy..

I think you have a deep jelously that blinds you from rational. Anyhow, nothing you can do my friend. Iran is 98% Muslim and history does not go back. Keep crying because if you cry over your old persian history, i remind you it is called "history", so no point of crying over it.

yeah and that is the most Muslim site I can find. My point is if even that site admits massacre and other atrocities, that site which is so pro-Islamic, then what is their to say. I gave you that site because I felt you might be more reciprical. If your not satisfied I could always give you this site which is so extreme that I dont even agree with it entirely.

http://debate.org.uk/topics/history/xstnc-5.html.. ..

Your point is that you have no point.  Are you sure you are ok?  I told you that this site does not give you those quotes and you instead of showing me what page exactly you got them from, you give me another site?  

Well let's set things straight first. I said Mongols did not have "much" of a religion.

So now you decided to add "Much" to your old post.  Here is what you typed.

Mongols did not have a religion, or much of a civilized history. Iranians did. 

an advise: you need to think first before you type. After contradicting yourself as above, you are not sticking with the topic too. You decided to throw allegation of women getting mistreated in Islam and I had to make you feel little pain with showing you the wonderful treatment they have in Zoroastrain. No wonder Islamic conquest were so easy in that part of the world.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 21:09

What is the relationship of Khawarizm and our discussion now? Or you just like to hear yourself talking?

My advice go read the post for the 4th time! and notice the figure 0. It is spelled Zero too, not a doughnut. Yes, that is zero meaning you pay nothing.

Well if you couldn't pay you would be put into army to defend Muslims of which you weren't even one of or into slavery. And if you had very little you still payed a a portion of it, which was what I was getting. Now if you can't understand that...

So far these are all allegations with no support. "Islam cultivate hatred"? Your ego is just what makes you blind here. I call on the moderator to follow up with your unsupported & repetitive  allegation.

Hey only saying my interpretation of it. My "unsupported & repetitive" allegations are more supported than your comments on Zoroastrianism. Why dont you actually reply instead of complaining because you  have no evidence.

I suggest you go and educate yourself more on history. The prophet was prosecuted for 13 years in Mecca and was attacked first by those Pagans you love. How peaceful you want him? evacuate Madinah and go spread the religion in the moutains maybe? Duh!

Jews and Christians who were traitors also helped those Pagans and wanted to keep Muhammad out of power. Yet their views coincide with Muhammad's and so they are considered "people of the book." Take Cyrus for example. He fought battles too. But when he entered Babylon, he being a monothiest, didn't touch any of the statues of Babylonian gods. He even kneeled in front of Marduk, their main god. He also freed Jewish slaves and built them a temple. Muhammad on the other hand did not stop with his conquest, he burned temples, and smashed idolatrous statues. But I guess they didn't teach you that one in history class

I think you have a deep jelously that blinds you from rational. Anyhow, nothing you can do my friend. Iran is 98% Muslim and history does not go back. Keep crying because if you cry over your old persian history, i remind you it is called "history", so no point of crying over it.

Well if your not supposed to get passionate over history what is the point of this whole forum? Iran is considered 98%, but I assure you, only half of those are true Muslims, the others are only muslim by name. That is because the government requires you to state your religion. So if your secular, you might as well put down muslim and get the added benefits the government provides.

Your point is that you have no point.  Are you sure you are ok?  I told you that this site does not give you those quotes and you instead of showing me what page exactly you got them from, you give me another site?  

Well I give up on giving you my sources, because you dont read them and proceed to tell me that I have no resources. I would like to see your sources for once.

an advise: you need to think first before you type. After contradicting yourself as above, you are not sticking with the topic too. You decided to throw allegation of women getting mistreated in Islam and I had to make you feel little pain with showing you the wonderful treatment they have in Zoroastrain.

Again you didn't read what I wrote

Those rituals were from the pre-Zoroastrian beliefs which Zoroastrianism dispelled. Were their Zoroastrians who mistreated women, undoubtedly yes, just like any other peoples. But it did not actually endorse the inferiority of women like the Quran.

No wonder Islamic conquest were so easy in that part of the world.

hmm.. seems like ur resolving to insulting and offensive tactics.

We have all fallen prey to conquest. First Alexander, then the Arabs, next the Mongols conquered us.

You never heard me brag about Israel defeating those poor Palestinians or Arabs being conquered by Ottomans.

And again it shows the contempt with which many people hold the atrocities of the Islamic Invasion.

Edited by PrznKonectoid
Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 00:04

Well if you couldn't pay you would be put into army to defend Muslims of which you weren't even one of or into slavery. And if you had very little you still payed a a portion of it, which was what I was getting. Now if you can't understand that...

Yes, that thing above you call a source, where did you learn this? Im just curious? So far, no Link, no reference.

Hey only saying my interpretation of it. My "unsupported & repetitive" allegations are more supported than your comments on Zoroastrianism. Why dont you actually reply instead of complaining because you  have no evidence.

Why would I take the extra step of providing wrong what you can't prove right? sounds to me a common sense.

Jews and Christians who were traitors also helped those Pagans and wanted to keep Muhammad out of power. Yet their views coincide with Muhammad's and so they are considered "people of the book."

Do you know they are considered people of the book because they have books sent from a divine called the bible and the torah? sounds more logical for sure than "their view coincide with Muhammad's"!!

But I guess they didn't teach you that one in history class

How about if you spent more time in searching for links that support your argument than sarcacism. Focusing on me won't help your arguement just in case you dont know.

Iran is considered 98%, but I assure you, only half of those are true Muslims.

None of my or your business to classify them as true Muslims or not. At the end, I've seen fanatic Iranians who would die for the Mullah's speeches and they dont even do their simpliest worship duties.

Well I give up on giving you my sources, because you dont read them and proceed to tell me that I have no resources. I would like to see your sources for once..

Do you think that is a good excuse.? Sorry, I don't read what is not there. Very obvious. And if you are as you claim to be a Muslim, it should be easy for you to get those sources , right?

Those rituals were from the pre-Zoroastrian beliefs which Zoroastrianism dispelled. Were their Zoroastrians who mistreated women, undoubtedly yes, just like any other peoples. But it did not actually endorse the inferiority of women like the Quran.

This is a fundemental part of the Zoroastrian belief. Even during the 17th century, (hundreds of years after Islamic conquest), they still do it:

"Tavernier in 17th century made remarks about the hardship Zoroastrian women suffered because of purity laws concerning menstruation. They were isolated during this period and could not touch fire or water since they were regarded as impure. The isolation would end by bathing and a minor feast."

Here, educate yourself more on Zoroastrians http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:T-13ij-wvDEJ:www.iranch amber.com/religions/articles/zoroaster_zoroastrians_in_iran. php+Zoroastrian+treat+to+women,+not+to+touch+fire&hl=en

By the way, the link is direct (unlike yours which we cannot find) and it is the chamber of commerce of Iran

So, you think it is dispelled? Then prove it. Very simple. Welcome to this forum. Proof Proof Proof!

hmm.. seems like ur resolving to insulting and offensive tactics.

You are free to understand it as you like. However my comment was not saying that Persia was easy for Islamic conquest because Persians are inferior (which i have no clue how do you hit this assumption). Islamic conquest of Persia was easy because of what we already discussed earlier and you might have seem to forget everytime:

"The Islamic conquest was aided by the material and social bankruptcy of the Sassanids; the native populations had little to lose by cooperating with the conquering power. Moreover, the Muslims offered relative religious tolerance and fair treatment to populations that accepted Islamic rule without resistance." < By the way, this is from your article too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_conquest_of_Iran

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 00:12

Unfortunately this discussion is turning into a blood feud.

PrznKonectoid, I did not see any link to your "We are a people who drink blood..." statement you assume Khalid made or the one about national affairs of the state under women either.

Such bold assumptions need proof which you did not provide. Plus I do not see why accusing eachother sheds light into this topic. Therefore, it shall be closed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12