Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which king helped India the most?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which king helped India the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [39.13%]
6 [26.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
2 [8.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which king helped India the most?
    Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 00:56
I would say Ashoka quite personally...
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 06:03
Why is there Asoka twice? (i'm still deciding who to pick)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 06:52
What about Shah Jehan? He was the one who began the construction of Taj Mahal.
Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 10:55

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

What about Shah Jehan? He was the one who began the construction of Taj Mahal.

Shah Jahan never really built the Taj Mahal... he confiscated Rajut property and redid it to look like the Taj. We know now that the Taj is not really built by Moghals but actually five hundred tears older to Shah Jahan. It was a Rajput Hindu Temple. Anyway he was useless otherwise and had sexual affairs with his daughters. The credit he took for the Taj overshadows his many flaws and failures.

Btw, I meant to say pritiviraj Chauhan for the first choice... not Ashoka twice

dang it!!

Edited by Itihaas
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 16:29

As much as I love the Mughals I wouldnt say I can think of any Muslim ruler that ever really helped India out in the long turn, mostly by creating social discord through their converts.  Chandragupta Maurya for creating the first almost pan-Indian state and hence enabling the rule of Ashoka in the first place.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 17:35

She might not have ruled over all of India but for an Indian ruler I think it's hard to beat the Rani of Jhansi.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:39
Originally posted by Paul

She might not have ruled over all of India but for an Indian ruler I think it's hard to beat the Rani of Jhansi.

Rani of Jhansi (Rani Lakshmibhai) although courageous and extremely brave and firm despite her gender doesn't stand much in the grand scheme of Indian History, as she failed in halting the british and really just led an unsuccessful rebel movement. Ashoka is the most Important since his policies led to the world's first missionary religion making Buddhism much more accepted all over Asia. If it weren't for Ashoka we wouldn't have had the religious tollerence, or Buddhism would just be a local religion like Jainism...

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:58
Originally posted by Itihaas

Originally posted by Paul

Rani of Jhansi (Rani Lakshmibhai) although courageous and extremely brave and firm despite her gender doesn't stand much in the grand scheme of Indian History, as she failed in halting the british and really just led an unsuccessful rebel movement. Ashoka is the most Important since his policies led to the world's first missionary religion making Buddhism much more accepted all over Asia. If it weren't for Ashoka we wouldn't have had the religious tollerence, or Buddhism would just be a local religion like Jainism...

I would disagree with her lack of influence, she certainly was an inspiration and influence to the Indian National Congress and raising support and belief for their ideals.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 05:08
Still decding between Chandragupta and Asoka, it's so hard. On one had Chandragupta laid the foundations for the first pan-indian state, but then Asoka did expand it and then did loads for the country culturally ect.

edit: and why is Tipu Sultan in there?! I swear he gave away the Kohi-noor....

Edited by Anujkhamar
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 07:08

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

I thought that was Maharani Jindan.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 06:35

I am puzzled between choosing Chandragupta or Sandracottus as Greeks were calling him and Ashoka.

I 'll give though the lead to Chandragupta as the founder of Mauryan empire.

One question...Were the Greeks of that period called by the Indians as 'Jobanaputra'???

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 10:53

Still decding between Chandragupta and Asoka, it's so hard. On one had Chandragupta laid the foundations for the first pan-indian state, but then Asoka did expand it and then did loads for the country culturally ect.

I put Tipu Sultan since he was the frst Indian emperor  to actually act like a western ruler. Unlike his predecessors he sent emmisiaries to Europe (France especially) and actually manufactured his weaponry in his own nation. His gun smiths were the first non europeans to manufacture modern firearms. He also invested in naval technology and rocketry. The Congrieve rockets were one of the most powerful in the world and developed by Mysore under Tipu Sultan. He reformed the education system. He actually did alot to help Mysore, but didn't last long though...

Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 10:55
Originally posted by Aeolus

I am puzzled between choosing Chandragupta or Sandracottus as Greeks were calling him and Ashoka.

I 'll give though the lead to Chandragupta as the founder of Mauryan empire.

One question...Were the Greeks of that period called by the Indians as 'Jobanaputra'???

looking in my Sanskrit English dictionary I find the word for greek being Yavanna.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 18:01

Originally posted by Itihaas

looking in my Sanskrit English dictionary I find the word for greek being Yavanna.

I am aware that in Sanskrit, Greeks are called Yavana but i was interested to know the exact meaning of Jobanaputra. I assume the first part of the word Jobana is a variation to 'Yavana' and Putra is 'son' but i would like to hear the view of someone who is familiar with Hindi and Sanscrit.

Seems Indians used the name Yavana for Ionians/Macedonians/Greeks in general, considering them this way, the same people.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Darkness1089 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Darkness1089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 02:04

Definately Chandragupta Maurya...

Ashoka didn't really do as much as Chandragupta

Chandragupta was the military strategist who first brought Imperial unity to India...

baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 02:58
Babur he started the Mughul rulers of India, he hated being called a mongol, and prefered to be called a turk, but the name stuck with him, so in Europe they are called the Mughul, Mugul, Moghul rulers of India, note: Mughul is the Persian/Arabic word for mongol. Anyway, his son and grandchildren ruled until the English.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 03:40
Originally posted by Darkness1089

Definately Chandragupta Maurya...

Ashoka didn't really do as much as Chandragupta

Chandragupta was the military strategist who first brought Imperial unity to India...

but askoka did more economically and culturally, thats why i'm stuck between picking!
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 10:05

I agree with Baracuda. Babur, he gained Hindustan with only 12,000. He was a military genius, even though he gained the crown at the tender age of 12!!!

Only failure- his son Humayun!!!

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 10:50
Ashoka for spreading Indian cultural influence overseas.
Jai Badri Vishal
Darkness1089 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Darkness1089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 15:15

but askoka did more economically and culturally, thats why i'm stuck between picking!

Culturally, yes. Economically, no. Ashoka had setup the empire to crumble due to his Pacifist policies. His successors were mudered and no one laid claim to the Imperial throne and India crumbled.

Chandragupta Maurya had done a lot more to in terms of economics and power projection. Just take a look at the Arthashastra. Every single detail relating to the prosperity and well being of the empire is covered. This includes economically supporting his Southern allies (Tamils) to build large fleets and securing ports and entire islands in SE Asia for Indian merchants for the next 1500 years, supporting more than 50,000 war elephants for the empire, and building an insanely large military force to keep any and all threats at bay. He also brought the Indian North East to Indian control. Ashoka added some things like bringing some Nomadic Tribals and Kalinga under Mauryan control, but nothing equal to Chandragupta.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>