Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

July,25th 1261-Recapture of Constantinopl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: July,25th 1261-Recapture of Constantinopl
    Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 18:51
May 29 1453 for me 

Edited by ill_teknique
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 13:44

Excellent  thanks.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 13:42

Originally posted by Heraclius

Its incredibly difficult to find much of anything from the recapture of Constantinople to 1453 even though I hear there are alot of sources about ive certainly never found any.

Sure there is!  Are you talking about primary sources, secondary sources, or both?  I have posted on AE before, a small bibliography on late Byzantine military and the Fall of Constantinople, 1453.  I would start with the Bartusis book listed below.  Here is the bibliography:

George Sphrantzes. The Fall of the Byzantine Empire: a Chronicle by George Sphrantzes, 1401-1477. Marios Philippides, trans. Amherst, university of Massachusetts Press, 1980.

Anonymous. Byzantium, Europe, and the early Ottoman Sultans, 1373-1513: an anonymous Greek chronicle of the seventeenth century (Codex Barberinus Graecus 111). Marios Philippides, trans. New Rochelle, NY: A.D. Caratzas, 1990.

Kritovoulos. History of Mehmed the Conqueror; translated from the Greek by Charles T. Riggs. Princeton University Press, 1954.

Ducas. Decline and Fall of Byzantium to the Ottoman Turks: an annotated translation of "Historia Turco-Byzantina". Harry J. Magoulias, trans. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1975.

Laonikos Chalkokondyles. A translation and commentary of the "Demonstrations of Histories", Books I-III. Nicolaos Nicoloudis, trans. Athens, Greece: Historical Publications St. D. Basilopoulos, 1996.

Secondary sources:

Donald Nicol. The Last Centuries of Byzantium, 1261-1453. 2nd edition. Cambridge University Press, 1993.

----. Church and Society in the Last Centuries of Byzantium. Cambridge University Press, 1979.

----. The Immortal Emperor: the life and legend of Constantine Palaiologos, last emperor of the Romans. Cambridge University Press, 1992.

Mark C. Bartusis. The Late Byzantine Army: arms and society, 1204-1453. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1992.

David Nicolle. Constantinople 1453: the end of Byzantium. Osprey Military, 2001.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 13:32

Its incredibly difficult to find much of anything from the recapture of Constantinople to 1453 even though I hear there are alot of sources about ive certainly never found any.

What I want to know is how large was the Byzantine military firstly between 1204 and 1261 and then from 1261 onwards? what was it made up of? how effective was it? how if the empire was so weak did it survive to 1453 in the first place?

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 12:52

Hip, hip hooray for Michael VIII Palaeologus!

Does anyone know the details of the battle of Pelagonia in 1259 AD, which preceded the re-capture of the city?  It is kind of difficult to find primary source information on the battle, though I am sure Choniates and maybe Acropolites wrote about it.  Michael VIII and the Nicaeans fought the Franks of the Aechean Duchy.  My main interest is what was the makeup of Michael VIII's army?  I wonder what kind of units were in it.  I know there was a good deal of Turkish mercenaries from the Seljuk state, but they probably did not encompass the entire Nicaean force.  Any thoughts?

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 11:15

Point of interest today is also the day Constantine the Great was proclaimed Emperor in York by the British legions. Big day in history then.

Its a great day, but also a tragic one because its the last time Byzantium would have something real to celebrate.

Cyprus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cyprus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 07:26

You're right, it was the very same day, July the 25th, when Trebizond fell to the Ottomans. I wasn't going to mention that till tomorrow, in order not to spoil the party.
There so few days to celebrate in Byzantine history that we should make the most out the couple we've got![/QUOTE]

So i must apologize for mentioning that day
But I am interested in latest byzantin epoch an that is why I know more sad dates than happy - but we should remember sad dates as year 1453 ad persons like Konstanin XI. - they may by memento for as even in this days - and we should also remember them because of their courage and nobleness.

I hope you understand my poor englis - you know I am not accustomed to dicsourse in english
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 06:32
Originally posted by Cyprus

After 200 years in 1461(perhaps the same day) last capital city of Greeks fell into the turks slavery - it was Trebizond with its emperor David and his 5 sons.
What about this date - we should stay in mourning or grief.

You're right, it was the very same day, July the 25th, when Trebizond fell to the Ottomans. I wasn't going to mention that till tomorrow, in order not to spoil the party.
There so few days to celebrate in Byzantine history that we should make the most out the couple we've got!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Cyprus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cyprus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 04:58
Yes, God save Michael VIII.(in spite of the fact that he was cruel and "rude") - but was last great emperor of Byzantines.
After 200 years in 1461(perhaps the same day) last capital city of Greeks fell into the turks slavery - it was Trebizond with its emperor David and his 5 sons.
What about this date - we should stay in mourning or grief.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 03:00
I though you might want to celebrate with me and every other citizen of the "Cyber Basilea Romaion" this important day in our history, the 25th of July 1261.

On this very day, the great city of Constantinople, was finally recovered from the Latins and their Empire that has lasted 57 years from 1204 came to a well deserved end.
Although it was inevitable and long overdue, the recapture of the city was not so much the result of a long and arduous siege, but rather an accident.
A general of the Empire of Nicea , Alexios Strategopulos ( what a name!), who was stationed in Thrace with no more than a few dozen men, had heard that the entire Latin garrison of Constantinople was out on a raid on some small Greek island, and, with the help of some people on the inside, in the early hours of the morning of the 25th, he and his men slipped unnoticed through a little gate into a city, and having met no real resistance, could re-claim the city for its rightful Emperor Michael VIII Palaeologos.
The Latin King of Constantinople, Baldwin II, the last in line of unworthy and incapable rulers, could escape and was never heard of again.
The Emperor of Nicea Michael VIII, who was in Anatolia at the time, was as surprised of the sudden capture as everybody else, rushed as quickly as he could to Constantinople and entered the city on the 15th of August and was duly crowned Basileios of the Romaioi.
Ende gut, alles gut!

So, put the champagne on ice, raise your glasses with me tonight and toast to the successful recapture of Constantinople on the 25th of July 1261.

Edited by rider - 30-Apr-2007 at 07:24
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12