Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Empires You Never Met

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Empires You Never Met
    Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:03
Czech Republic, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Smile
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 08:25
China & all mongoloid nations.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 22:50
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

I read somewhere that most Chinese love the Han Dynasty, and even call themseves Han. Correct me if im wrong.

If you are talking about millitary power, perhaps Han Dynasty would be slightly stronger than Tang. The majority ethnic group of China call ourselves Han because the Han Dynasty had built up our privilege and proud as a superpower in the world that was known to the Chinese people at that time. And Han Dynasty existed for more than 4 centuries. Her influence was everlasting.

But  with regard to the diversity of culture, degree of prosperity, openess of the society and the living standard of the common people, Tang must be at the top among all the dynasties in the history of imperial China. Just take two examples to show how the Chinese people love Tang Dynasty. (1)There is a very popular dancing drama name "Back To Tang Dynasty in Dream", which is often taken by the Chinese government as entertainment for the foreign official visitors coming to China.  (2) In Chinese, we call all the oversea China Towns as "Tang People's Town".

Sometimes I  think the Chinese people's attitude toward Han and Tang was somewhat similar with what the westerners treat the ancient Rome and Greece, though that may not be a very accurate comparison.

Edited by oodog
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 19:35

The list is very long, but the one on top is all the Iranian Empires - Achaemenid, Sassanian, etc. Would love to visit Iran.

Originally posted by oodog

If you ask Chinese this question, I bet over 70% people would say "Tang Dynasty at its height

I read somewhere that most Chinese love the Han Dynasty, and even call themseves Han. Correct me if im wrong.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 15:08
If you ask Chinese this question, I bet over 70% people would say "Tang Dynasty at its height".
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 12:39

Some day I would very much like to spend a long vacation visiting places in Northern Europe.  England, Scandinavia, The Baltics, Russia, etc.

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 08:53

Constantine:

Unintended consequences are often the most profound.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 01:56

Originally posted by Belisarius

Greece at any point in history would be great. The world at the turn of the first millenium CE was quite exciting everywhere and I would love to visit anywhere during this period. However, I would be most interested in seeing Byzantium in its second glory and the Song who had just invented gunpowder.

The Chinese alchemists who invented gunpowder were trying to find something to give eternal life. Ironic isn't it, they try to create something that will give immortality and instead invent something which leads to millions of people dying.

Edited by Constantine XI
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 01:29
Greece at any point in history would be great. The world at the turn of the first millenium CE was quite exciting everywhere and I would love to visit anywhere during this period. However, I would be most interested in seeing Byzantium in its second glory and the Song who had just invented gunpowder.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 20:20
Goguryeo

But that would mean heading over to North Korea...which is out of the question at the moment..

Or I could head on over to Southern Manchuria and check out the sites there.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 19:10
China, all ethnies (empires or not) of Black Africa, pre-Hellenic Crete, the ancient culture of Vila Nova de Sao Pedro in Portugal. 
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 18:53

Would love to see Rome circa 400 BC and then again 100 AD just to compare. The Qing court 1700 AD could be quite a treat, I'd even go through the kow-towing to get a first hand glimpse.

Also wouldn't mind watching the elections in Sparta, as the manliest of the manly conduct one giant yelling match to decide who their next monarch will be. Byzantium in the early 8th century would be interesting, if only I had access to the highly amusing plots and counter-plots of the various contenders vying for power.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 18:06
Don't mention it.
But as I suspect that you like Leonidas, why don't you make a little diversion and, after landing in Athens, go to Marathon to see it first hand? It is quite close.
CARRY NOTHING
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 16:49

Originally posted by Menippos

Don't go there in the middle of summer, if you can't take the heat.
Usually the mid-summer temp is more than 35*C. If you want to be able to go around without getting a heat exhaustion, I suggest May or September.

2 summers ago I did a tour-de-Peloponnisos in late July and believe me, after the 4th day I didn't want to continue the trip. Too hot. I went on only because I wanted to show things to my girlfriend, but even she gave up after a while, and we spent the last 2 days of the trip in a beautiful beach outside Pylos, called Voidokilia, staying all day in the water.

Heh, well, it was that hot and extremely humid where I just got back from.  But I'd probably head over in May anyway.

Thanks for the warning.

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 16:41
Don't go there in the middle of summer, if you can't take the heat.
Usually the mid-summer temp is more than 35*C. If you want to be able to go around without getting a heat exhaustion, I suggest May or September.

2 summers ago I did a tour-de-Peloponnisos in late July and believe me, after the 4th day I didn't want to continue the trip. Too hot. I went on only because I wanted to show things to my girlfriend, but even she gave up after a while, and we spent the last 2 days of the trip in a beautiful beach outside Pylos, called Voidokilia, staying all day in the water.

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 16:00

Never been to lands of my two favorite kingdoms:  Egypt (Ptolemies) and Lakonia(Sparta).

I hope to hit Greece next summer.  Not sure I'll be getting to Egypt anytime soon though.

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 15:59
Mexico

though I'm most likely going there next year
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 15:46
Rome, Athens, Japan and Egypt (Memphis, Thebes, Alexandria)
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 14:50

Strange question but I think relavent to most of us.  Is there a political entity that ever existed in history or a place you really like to read about and tend to favor that you have never been to that you like anyway?

As you know Im a big fan of Nubia yet I have never been there.  I tend to also have an undying love for the Venetian Republic despite never having been to Venice or not being Italian.  I really like the modern day Netherlands despite never having been there anyway, and I would die for the Iroquois League despite the fact it no longer exists.

Obviously my first interest is the steppe, but having now been too 3 steppe nations I cant say Ive never been to it.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply