Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

THE SUN ROAD (short movie)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE SUN ROAD (short movie)
    Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 20:39

this turkish short movie is about lykia and lykians sadly history.

Download

http://www.benimsinemalarim.com/films/Gnes_yolu.wmv

Edited by THE TURK
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 01:14
Wow, I didnt know my avatar was so popular....
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 06:01

Man, u r sth!!!! After your fans cloned your username now they do the same with your avatar!!!

Seems the Strategos A.E fan club is getting bigger and bigger!!! Looks like your style is never out of fashion!!!

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 06:48
Ugur Erbas is a talented guy.he does some cool animations.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 07:00
sad history indeed
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 07:26

Nice work, but historically inaccurate.

The city name is Xanthos, what is "Arna" that's mentioned in the clip? Is it the modern name of the city?

There's a poem by Hoelderlin mentioning Xanthos:

At Xanthos lay, in Greek times, the city,
But now, like the greater who rest there
Is it through fate to the holy light
Of day over come.

They died, however, not in open battle
By their own hand. Fearfully is from that
What happened there, the wonderful
Legend from the east come to us.

It tore them the Goods from Brutus. For
As fire gone out, so he offered himself
them to help, that he at the same time, as field commander
Stood in siege before the gates.

But from the walls they threw the servants
He had sent. Livelier grew
The fire, and they rejoiced and themselves
Stretched towards the hands of Brutus.

And all were beside themselves. Cries
Rose up and jubilations. Into the flames
Man and woman threw themselves, from boys also
He from the roof fell, into the sword of the fathers he.

It isnt advisable to contradict heroes. Long
Was it prepared, however. The fathers too
That they were seized, once, and
Violently pressed the Persian enemies

Caught fire, grabbing the reed of the rivers
That she would find freedom, the city. And house
And temple took, to the holy ether
Flying, and the people away the flames.

So the children have heard it, and probably
The legends are good, for a reminder
Of the highest they are, but that requires as well
Someone to lay the holy out.

http://www.chez.com/paguillot/fh-ov-VoixPeuple.htm

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 18:15

The modern name of the city is Antalya.

The city`s orginal name is arrnaa in lykian language (actually lykia wasnt a hellenic city). Xanthos is hellenic name of the city.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 04:44

Another short movie

The doors of the The World

Lydians and Meds: The Fight of West And East.

Download:

http://www.benimsinemalarim.com/films/Dunyanin_Kapilari.wmv

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 06:25

Lydians werent Hellenic, they were related with Hittites.

Lydian language belongs to New Anatolian languages, derived from Old Anatolian - Hittite, Luwian and Palaic. When the Hittite Empire fell, Anatolian city-states started a new epoch of Indo-European settlers of Asia Minor. These cities were inhabited both by Indo-European Hittites and non-Indo - European tribes like Hatti, Assyrians, Aramaeans. In the 7th century B.C. all East and Central Anatolian Indo-Europeans were practically assimilated by Semitic and other tribes, and Indo-European Hittites and Luwians had to move farther to the West, to the shores of the Aegean Sea.

Lydian was inherited directly from Hittite, but has a lot of its own new features.

Lydian morphology also differs somehow from Hittite. Nouns are declined in pronominal declension, Hittite noun declension was almost completely lost. Accusative case is being replaced by dative in the meaning of direct object of the verb. Some verbal forms have endings derived not from Hittite same forms but from participles (for example, 3rd person plural has -l ending) or other verbal nouns.

Edited by Oguzoglu
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 06:58

thalos (from milletus) who is an ionian philosopher is most important actor in this movie. i think that this movie`s story is related with mediterranean civilizations.

And of course lydia werent hellenic.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 07:22

Originally posted by THE TURK

And of course lydia werent hellenic.

No, Lydia was not Hellenic indeed. However there were also there, a few Greek colonies along the coast.

Originally posted by THE TURK

thalos (from milletus)
That would be Thales the Milesian, the first known Greek scientist and mathematician and one of the 7 wise men of Greek antiquity.

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 08:12

That would be Thales the Milesian, the first known Greek scientist and mathematician and one of the 7 wise men of Greek antiquity.

yes exactly.

No, Lydia was not Hellenic indeed. However there were also there, a few Greek colonies along the coast.

i agreed.

Edited by THE TURK
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 08:28
Guys, before I download, in what language are they?
CARRY NOTHING
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 09:06

Turkish, but with English subtitles. It's a nice effort, but not accurate in its depictions.

It's a mistery to me why Turks always, when they reffer to Greeks, they separate Hellenes from Ionians.  I mean if you want to distinquish ancient Greeks by tribe, why not mention Dorians, Aeolians etc as well?  Same thing happens in archaeologocal sites in Western Turkey.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 11:29

What do you mean? Do you reffer us calling Greeks "Yunan"? If so, we've learned the name "Ionian/Yunan" from Persians, and they called all Hellens by the same way after their conquest of Aegean coasts once. I think because Ionians were the first Hellenic people they've met.

We dont differ Hellens from each other, we call all of them as "Yunan". But the only problem appears when we call the Southern Greek Cypriots as "Rum"s. That's a wrong usage, because they arent "Rum"s, they are Greeks.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 12:20
yes, we call all Greeks Yunani.
 Post Reply Post Reply