Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great English kings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who is the greatest English king?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
3 [12.00%]
3 [12.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.00%]
5 [20.00%]
6 [24.00%]
1 [4.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great English kings?
    Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 16:11
Who is the greatest English king?
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:44

Victoria was a British Queen, not English.

Also you missed a lot of Kings and Queens before William, such as Alfred and Canute, who may have better claim than any of their successors.

But my vote goes to,

Cromwell

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 03:35
A, Lord-Protector of England.

Well my vote should have gone to Victoria but it went to Elizabeth I
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 14:28
Elizabeth the first is clearly the greatest hereditary ruler of England, but overall Lord Protector Cromwell is the best.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 15:52
Why? Hejust beheaded some king of England (Charles I) and then after giving power to the parliament disbanded it. Still, he is thought one of the greatest commanders in military history.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 22:31
Well he certainly destroyed the prestige of monarchy in one country, even if he disbanded parlament he made sure they would always be a force the king would have to reckon with.  he was an excellent administrator and most importantly he really, more than any monarch even Elizabeth, cut the last ties to the papacy and showed the catholics what for.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 23:51

Cromwell started from very humble origins, lower middle class. He had land but was unable to hire help, so worked it himself. He joined the army at the start of the civil war and apart from being arguably the main reason for Parliamentary victory he scandalised the army by organsing his horse along lines of merit not status. Prefering competant soldiers as officers to gentlemen. Later he was to reform the whole army along these lines when he formed the New Model Army.

He was the most powerful ruler Britain has ever had, no king has ever come close to weilding as much control of the country as Cromwell. However he wasn't especially strong willed or opinionated. He listened to both sides of a debate and generally went with the popular view. He tolerated radicals and outspoken opposition to him when in power. Though a puritan he believed in religious tolerance and allowed even Jews and Catholics freedom to worship.

At the storming of Drogeda in Ireland, he ordered the New Model Army to enter the town and attack nobody that didn't weild a weapon against them. This is unprecidented in warfare of the time, when army had the sack of towns that didn't surrender. Even more amazing his troops were so disiplined and they obeyed.

In his coup against the Rump Parliament that he judged had become too corrupt, he had no intention of taking power for himself. Instead he handed power over to the Parliament of Saints. When that became corrupt and he took solitary control he was a quite wealthy man from inheritance and a general's pay. When he died he was bankrupt having spent all his money on the state and as the time of his rule living himself living in extreme moderation.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 20:05

I really think Alfred should be up there, the only ruler who carried the title "the Great". His last ditch stand against the Danes ensured England retained some connection to old Europe and elements of the culture he protected remain with us today.

But in any case I'll go with Edward Longshanks, just out of pure fascination with his ability to marshall England's forces and engage in it's first real attempt at launching itself as a major power post-Phillip II Augustus.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 12:49

I don't see how Elizabeth or Victoria could logically be the greatest English king, nor Cromwell for that matter.

But I voted for Elizabeth anyway since that seemed to be the spirit of the thing.

I think the simplest way to express it might be that Elizabeth 'solidified' England. If you like, created the myth of England.

Queen Anne might be worth a mention. Under her the concept of a monarch that reigned but did not rule finally became reality, and despite George III that has never really changed since.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 17:25

if Victoria cannot considdered English monarch then Alfred even less so, he was ruler of Wessex, and at a time there wasn't even a country called England yet...

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 22:31
Originally posted by Temujin

if Victoria cannot considdered English monarch then Alfred even less so, he was ruler of Wessex, and at a time there wasn't even a country called England yet...

Victoria cannot be considered an English monarch because she was queen after the act of union, which makes her a British monarch. Alfred ruled more than wessex in fact at the end of his reign controlled most of modern over 70% of modern England.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 13:02
I guess Paul is right - from the time of George I the Kings (or queens) Titles were - King of great britainand Ireland but isn't England part of Great Britain? sounds a bit like splitting hairs to me.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 15:47
Technically you're right but I wouldn't plan any holidays in Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Refering to British things as English can get them a little hot    under the collar.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 03:55

The reason Victoria and Elizabeth can't be considered English kings is because they were women, unless there's some new historical theory going around I'm unaware of.

Moreover, George VI would still have been an English king, even if his title had been King of Great Britain. He was Emperor of India, but he was still an English king.

On the other hand, William III, while King of England thanks to the Act Settling the Succession of 1688, was not an English king, but a Dutch one.

The title of the poll was not 'Great monarchs of England'.

Gavriel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Gavriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 02:18
Edward III has allways been my favourite,just because he fought the French and he was Edward woodstock,s (the Black prince) dad.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 18:49

As Hueyi noticed (second message) there are a lot of kings missing( wich is a little bit logical since there were so many of them I guess). From the list above I would say Elisabeth or Victoria, mostly because I guess they're rule was very good and the country was in a good state. But In fact I believe that the greatest English ruler isn't in the list. I would say Alfred (the Great, very suiteble name in this case). I guess my opinion is the way it is because Alfred realy was a very intelligent man who actualy restored a lot of English culture (and litterature). He also made translations from latin. Besides this, and probably even more important, his role in the re-union of the country after the invasion of the Danes was crucial.His rule was very good as well (codex in law, etc.) the country even knew a period of peace, if I'm not mistaken here. 

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 12:44
As they teach in school, the English themselves in their entire history have only ever seen fit to call one of their monarchs 'the great'. Alfred was indeed much more than just a warrior and ruled over a period of prosperous peace. People forget Anglo-Saxon-Danish England was a much more civilised place than medieval England. I always think they get the dark ages bit wrong, it began in 1066.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 16:08

Originally posted by Paul

As they teach in school, the English themselves in their entire history have only ever seen fit to call one of their monarchs 'the great'. Alfred was indeed much more than just a warrior and ruled over a period of prosperous peace. People forget Anglo-Saxon-Danish England was a much more civilised place than medieval England. I always think they get the dark ages bit wrong, it began in 1066.

Aah...when the capital was at Winchester and Wessex ruled....!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 16:45
And how about Charles the Second? Come on... Richard the Lionheart spent totally three years in his country!!!Why he deserved to be in the list, and not Charles the Second? And why finished with Victoria? George VI, Elizabeth's father conducted himself almoust heroic during the WW2.

Edited by magdala
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 16:51
Nobody mention poor lady Jane Grey Dudley who ruled only 9 days, but menage to create new and convertibile pound?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>