Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

English war bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English war bow
    Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 04:23
Here's a chart I came across a while ago.. on bows.

Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 00:58
Yeah. English longbow are very, very effective. Truly, the longbowmen were English army's key to success in the early 100-years war against the French.

The English could assemble a big army because of many local folks or peasants knows about it. In fact, the Welsh people who hadn't change its lifestyle even when the Normans came, most of them can excel at Longbowmen,and the folks of English are like them too.

The other nation didn't use archers as their commons as they have own specialization of army, the French had their heavy Knights, the Germans had their heavy-armored Cavalry, the Turks had their Horse Archers, the Italians had their Warships and Heavy Militia Infantry and many more.
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 17:28
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Well I agree with that for the most part, but rather than it being an issue of arrogance I would say it was an issue of professionalism. The English entered the Hundred Years War with centuries of fighting behind them engaging the Welsh, Scots and Irish. France was always a nation famed for its military during the Middle Ages and still engaged regularly in war. Yet interest in the Crusades had died down, the Spanish were increasingly able to handle the Moors on their own and the once powerful Holy Roman Empire in Germany was increasingly splintered and reluctant to engage in military offensives against France as it once used to.

When the English began a serious invasion they did so with highly professional troops who had some of the best experience in warfare. In Wales the hill country had taught them the value of fielding scores of men as missile troops, they adopted the tactics of the enemy which they had conquered thanks to the perceptive Edward Longshanks. In Scotland the defeat at Bannockburn taught them not to rely on their heavy cavalry to simply charge in and win for them, they adapted by updating the ability of their infantry. Ireland and Scotland were never properly conquered for long but always provided the English with a good training ground to refine their skills and toughen them into professionals. France, basking in its newly earnt economic prosperity and peace, could field men but most of these lived on the antiquated traditions passed down by troubadors and aspired to a romantic ideal which did not reflect the reality of war. Consequently it took the French a while to adapt to an enemy who was professional, and was also well led. The English had some excellant commanders in the persons of Edward III and his son the Black Prince, Henry V is also very noteworthy. One cannot help but feel some sympathy for France when comparing Henry V to the psychotic Charles, but can see clearly why the fortunes of war began to change when Charles and Henry both died.

Another thing I neglected to mention was the use of the bodkin arrowhead. This arrowhead was sharper and thinner than normal ones and the English made extensive use of it. The result was an arrow better able to pierce armor, which was of particular usefulness against the French knights who possessed some of the heaviest armor in the world.

Great explaination. I am still unsure about how English men were trained against Irish and Scottish rebellions. English armies would easily crush these rebellions without even the need of proper training. Did the English deployed armies including longbowmen to suppress these revolts? Moving that huge army would be expensive. English are most likely to use the Scottish and Irish nobles to deal with the revolts, and station some troops in some small forts in case the situation is serious enough for the English to send their armies. I don't think that happened that frequently. In medieval era, the only crisis I can think of is Scottish rebellion against Longshank... but that was over a hundred years ago...

And we should remember the Black Death. While the English were successful against French armies in the Battle of Crcy, the spread of Black Death caused both English and French to call for truce... at least until disease died out and English were able to recover their financial losses. Wouldn't that allow French some time to prepare for longbow massacre? France was, at that time, the center of the world, after all. France had more population, knights, war tacticans, farmers, soldiers... bascially, they had numerical advantage and had more bright people... so France should have seen it coming, no?

Edited by pekau - 16-Jun-2007 at 17:50

Join us.
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 02:59

I am making traditional selfbows (those on the picture are my present works, the white colored pieces are half-ready- they were seasoned insted of 3 years just some months, so they should dry some weeks or one or two months to achieve a good shot-result and the dry wood could be better polished. The yellow bow under the three brown/red pieces was made with a stoneaxe) since 6-7 years (sadly not of yew, it is hard to get, and when, it's very expensive). So I made some Mary-Rose style white wood (elm and ash) longbows (with bending grip, and without horn nocks). My heaviest has70 pounds. It has a great handshock by shooting, but it 's cool to shot the arrow up to 200 m.:-))

Edited by Tar Szernd - 17-Jun-2007 at 06:53
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 03:12
Wow, that sounds cool Tar! Do you have any photos of them?
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 06:53
Yes:-)
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2007 at 10:48
That is very cool Tar! How long does it take you to make one? And what do you do with them?

I've often stared longingly at bows on medieval fairs, but they are so damn expensive and I just have no money to buy one.

Not that it would be any use... there is nowhere to practice around here and quite frankly, my attempts at shooting them have proven to me I suck at aiming... quite apart from the fact I can only draw them about 5-6 times before getting musclefailure...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2007 at 11:28
Generaly minimum 3 years and two weeks (seasoning) plus one or two days carving, tillering and polishing, and 4-5 weeks soaking in oil or in sh*t etc:-))

But it could be done in 4-5 months, too.

Usually I use the most of them, but some peaces became a present, and some b. sold.

Edited by Tar Szernd - 19-Jun-2007 at 03:10
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 04:26
Originally posted by John the Kern

most of the other european countries had proud traditions, France and her brave Knights(cough, idiots, cough) my ancesteral home Eire had good javalin throwers, the Germans heavy infantry and later horse, italians were a trading sea nation, most ofhtier infatry was mercinary, simply the Longbow/ Warbow had always been a favortie amoung the english

Err ... well no. English were using a much smaller weapon up until the 1200s. They acquired the longbow during Edward's campaign to subdue Wales; it is a Welsh weapon (although, the Welsh being the original Britons, if you go back far enough, they might have been using it in England in pre-Roman times - I don't know).

Originally posted by Gavriel

Does anyone have any ideas on the decline of the Bows?Common wisdom
suggests at the invention of the gun but surrely a battalion of Archers
could of outshot a battalion of Wellingtons smoothbore muskets.
gavriel

Absolutely ... the longbow - and probably many other types of bows - were far superior to firearms, probably until rifling was invented. It was more accurate and it had a much greater rate of fire. It even had more kinetic force than early firearms. And, of extreme importance, it did not require a supply of gunpowder which was often a problem in many early modern campaigns (especially in places like Ireland during the Nine Years War, where the Irish had difficulty acquiring it and the English had difficulty getting enough of it to their front lines). But, there were essentially two big problems.

One was that longbowmen had to be trained literally from childhood - it literally took a couple of decades to produce a longbowmen, while one could produce a functional musketeer in half an hour. This meant losses on the field were irreplaceable for longbowmen, but easily replaced for musketeers. Also musketeers didn't have to be as able-bodied as longbowmen; in a pinch, such as during a siege, grandmothers could fire weapons if it was necessary.

Second big problem was that having a peasantry armed with such a weapon was a liability for rulers, as insurrection would be a much more viable proposition for a bitter populace. If such a thing happened there was also no way a ruler could really impact the production of the arms or their ammunition, something which was much more easily achieved with firearms - gunsmiths were visible and collected in urban centres, and gunpowder was a vital commodity which could be controlled to some degree. Longbows were generally produced by scattered bowyers living in rural areas all across the country. Surely other European rulers considered adopting the longbow, but rejected it for the above reasons. The English were able to adopt it because they were an island people, and the only breakaway ethnicities already had longbows and schiltron tactics; the French at that time were a disparate collection of ethnicites with no common language, and a country in which the question of rightful kingship was at times dubious in the eyes of some of these groups.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 04:59
Originally posted by pekau

Great explaination. I am still unsure about how English men were trained against Irish and Scottish rebellions. English armies would easily crush these rebellions without even the need of proper training. Did the English deployed armies including longbowmen to suppress these revolts? Moving that huge army would be expensive. English are most likely to use the Scottish and Irish nobles to deal with the revolts, and station some troops in some small forts in case the situation is serious enough for the English to send their armies. I don't think that happened that frequently. In medieval era, the only crisis I can think of is Scottish rebellion against Longshank... but that was over a hundred years ago...

England never really controlled either Scotland or Ireland during the medieval age. Scotland was somewhat succesfully conquered a few times, never for long - ultimately Scotland fell to money and political power, not arms, and that not until 1707 with the Act of Union.

Ireland was an extraordinarily difficult place to wage war for the English during the medieval period, and still challenging during the early modern period with the Tudor conquest. Control of several areas such as Dublin was possible, but the hinterland was ungovernable. There was the "Pale" - a small territory around Dublin - and "beyond the Pale", everything else, where control was fleeting. It wasn't until the Tudor conquest of Ireland in the 16th that much of Ireland was actually controlled by the English.

Between the 12th and 13th century, England only occasionally controlled a few major centres in both places with little penetration of the interior, and faced constant pressure. Control of both areas was only really achieved between the 16th and 18th centuries.

If I recall correctly - longbows played a role in a few Scottish battles, but England didn't do much fighting in Ireland during the longbow era. The initial Norman wave arrived in the 1100s, before the longbow was adopted, but the penetration was limited and simply swallowed up in the interior. The English more or less left Ireland beyond the Pale alone for the rest of the medieval era; several expeditions were proposed but the English monarchs rejected them fearing that any Lord of Ireland with real power might form a breakaway kingdom. Up until the Tudor conquest, English interest was simply to keep Ireland fragmented so it could not become a threat.
John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 17:48
Benjamin Franklin suggested thier use during the American "Revolution". Ignore my previous post in this topic. From what i know the best Bows were made of Italian Yew any source this? I have a 65lb longbow(which i havnt shot in ages)
My peoples tale is written in blood
Endre Fodstad View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Endre Fodstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 03:23
Originally posted by edgewaters

Err ... well no. English were using a much smaller weapon up until the 1200s. They acquired the longbow during Edward's campaign to subdue Wales; it is a Welsh weapon (although, the Welsh being the original Britons, if you go back far enough, they might have been using it in England in pre-Roman times - I don't know).

Self bows of yew (and laminate) have been excavated from iron age sites (their draw strengths vary greatly) and the Hedeby viking age bow has a c.100lb estimate draw strength. Their construction are entirely similar to the Mary Rose bows, who also have a draw strength average of somewhere above 90 (depending on who does the estimate and which bows are included). There has never been excavated a single "shortbow" that has not later been proven to be either a children's practice bow (draw strengths of 10lbs or so) or a wooden crossbow lathe (draw strengths of 150lbs+ (most closer to 200lbs), designed to be drawn by belt-hooks).  Additionally, medieval sources do not differentiate between short and long bows.

The welch were good archers, as the sources indicate. The english' novelty in archery were most probably the masses employed and level of organization, not a new weapon.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 08:20
The Hedeby bows are Viking bows, I think? Not Saxon?

The Saxon and Norman archers shown on the Bayeux Tapestry certainly don't look like they are using 6 foot longbows. Unless it was an artistic convention to show them smaller than they really were. The Utrecht Psalter also features illustrations of Saxon archers:

Certainly longbows much earlier and far from Wales have been found - Otzi the Iceman had one - but were they used in war or just hunting weapons?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 09:48
Originally posted by John the Kern

Benjamin Franklin suggested thier use during the American "Revolution". Ignore my previous post in this topic. From what i know the best Bows were made of Italian Yew any source this? I have a 65lb longbow(which i havnt shot in ages)

There were also suggestions during the Nap wars too. The best example we have in history though is the ECW where there was a longbow unit alongside the musketeers and they didn't seem to perform any better.

65lb, mines 60lb, it's pretty frightening when you consider some people pulled 160lb ones. I keep on meaning to downgrade to a lighter one.

Originally posted by Endre Fodstad

Self bows of yew (and laminate) have been excavated from iron age sites (their draw strengths vary greatly) and the Hedeby viking age bow has a c.100lb estimate draw strength. Their construction are entirely similar to the Mary Rose bows, who also have a draw strength average of somewhere above 90 (depending on who does the estimate and which bows are included). There has never been excavated a single "shortbow" that has not later been proven to be either a children's practice bow (draw strengths of 10lbs or so) or a wooden crossbow lathe (draw strengths of 150lbs+ (most closer to 200lbs), designed to be drawn by belt-hooks).  Additionally, medieval sources do not differentiate between short and long bows.

The welch were good archers, as the sources indicate. The english' novelty in archery were most probably the masses employed and level of organization, not a new weapon.

There's been prehistoric find going back to paleolithic times and the quality of the bow manufacture far superior to anything medieval.

The English's success with longbow was not so much from massed ranks but because they were arguably the first regular full time professional soldiers in Europe since the Roman legion.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 11:50

Originally posted by edgewaters

The Hedeby bows are Viking bows, I think? Not Saxon?

The Saxon and Norman archers shown on the Bayeux Tapestry certainly don't look like they are using 6 foot longbows. Unless it was an artistic convention to show them smaller than they really were. The Utrecht Psalter also features illustrations of Saxon archers:

Certainly longbows much earlier and far from Wales have been found - Otzi the Iceman had one - but were they used in war or just hunting weapons?

Yes, Viking bows. The bow was made of yew, 191cm long (6 feet, 4 inches). I don't know about tzi's bow, but hunting bows do not require the extreme strength of war bows (40pds is more than enough to kill a bear).
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Endre Fodstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 12:33
Originally posted by Paul

There's been prehistoric find going back to paleolithic times and the quality of the bow manufacture far superior to anything medieval.

The quality of self yew bows? I don't know about that.

The English's success with longbow was not so much from massed ranks but because they were arguably the first regular full time professional soldiers in Europe since the Roman legion.

There were plenty of medieval professional soldiers before the english adaption of the war bows (most retinue milites, for example), and the english bowmen were, in addition to those from mercenary sources, drawn from yeomen ranks and trained "by themselves" and given some amount of extra training, not trained from scratch and maintained in peacetime. There wasn't a permanent corps of bowmen with the exception of the archer bodyguards and such.

Edited by Endre Fodstad - 03-Jul-2007 at 13:08
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 19:35
Originally posted by pekau

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Well I agree with that for the most part, but rather than it being an issue ofarrogance I would say it was an issue of professionalism. The English entered the Hundred Years War with centuries of fighting behind them engaging the Welsh, Scots and Irish. France was always a nation famed for its military during the Middle Ages and still engaged regularly in war. Yet interest in the Crusades had died down, the Spanish were increasingly able to handle the Moors on their own and the once powerful Holy Roman Empire in Germany was increasingly splintered and reluctant to engage in military offensives against France as it once used to.

When the English began a serious invasion they did so with highly professional troops who had some of the best experience in warfare. In Wales the hill country had taught them the value of fielding scores of men as missile troops, they adopted the tactics of the enemy which they had conquered thanks to the perceptive Edward Longshanks. In Scotland the defeat at Bannockburn taught them not to rely on their heavy cavalry to simply charge in and win for them, they adapted by updating the ability of their infantry. Ireland and Scotland were never properly conquered for long but always provided the English with a good training ground to refine their skills and toughen them into professionals. France, basking in its newly earnt economic prosperity and peace, could field men but most of these lived on the antiquated traditions passed down by troubadors and aspired to a romantic ideal which did not reflect the reality of war. Consequently it took the French a while to adapt to an enemy who was professional, and was also well led. The English had some excellant commanders in the persons of Edward III and his son the Black Prince, Henry V is also very noteworthy. One cannot help but feel some sympathy for France when comparing Henry V to the psychotic Charles, but can see clearly why the fortunes of war began to change when Charles and Henry both died.

Another thing I neglected to mention was the use of the bodkin arrowhead. This arrowhead was sharper and thinner than normal ones and the English made extensive use of it. The result was an arrow better able to pierce armor, which was of particular usefulness against the French knights who possessed some of the heaviest armor in the world.

And we should remember the Black Death. While the English were successful against French armies in the Battle of Crcy, the spread of Black Death caused both English and French to call for truce... at least until disease died out and English were able to recover their financial losses. Wouldn't that allow French some time to prepare for longbow massacre? France was,at that time,the center of the world, after all. France had more population, knights, war tacticans, farmers, soldiers... bascially, they had numerical advantage and had more bright people... so France should have seen it coming, no?

I believe the English were even more direct in using their conquered enemies.
It's fairly simple; you defeat the Welsh, then recruit them to fight the Scots, the French, the Irish etc. Since getting on top of the Welsh was a drawn out process, Wales got all the hallmarks of a militarised border area- society put on an almost costant war-time footing, lots of experienced troops to be recruited. Wales worked like a kind of mercenry-factory in the British Isles. On the continent Flanders ("the men of Brabant") and the Basque countries filled the same role. And yes, it seems the longbow was originally the weapon of choice of, and very much identified with, the Welsh.

And Wales wasn't properly controlled by English kings until the very end of the 13th c. The last serious rebellion was in the first years of the 15th (Glyndwr's uprising, first Welsh parliament, recognised independance by France, of course), and Henry V assembled the largest army on British soil in history to put it down. Glyndwr himself had been fighting the Scots as a mercenry in the English army. There were companies of Welsh archers fighting in the HYW already, switching sides depending on pay. In the end Henry could recruit a lot of Welshmen into his own army after his victory, not least longbow archers, and use them against the French at Agincourt.

So the English kings first defeated the Welsh, then used the thoroughly militirised Welsh against the Scots and the Irish. Eventually they could draw upon the defeated, but by then highly militirised Irish and Highland societies to fill their armies. By the 19th c. the British army's own estimates was that as much as half the British army consisted of Irishmen.

As for the French waking up to smell the roses, they did after Crcy. It was discussed whether it would be a good idea to have commoners train archery, but the idea was dismissed as inherently too risky. The French nobles were pretty jealously guarding their military privilege. The north French nobles absolutely hated the mercenary troops, who were commoners (as said often from Flanders or the Basque countries) and would massacre them immediately if captured. Since France was also beset by some pretty serious peasant uprising, armed French commoners were considered a greater risk to them than invasions of professional English armies, even if they were filled with commoners as well. The internal threat, and messing with the social fabric, was felt to be riskier than the external threat.

I think we can chalk it up to different social dynamics that the English kings by Henry V's time had far better logistics for continuous warfare, more professional troops, and better access to them possibly, than the French nobles he ended up fighting.
For starters the English king ever since William the Conqueror held sway over a vastly more centralised kingdom than the French king, whose power was at times almost only nominal over most of the territory of France. It was the great nobles who called the shots, including how the fighting was to be done. The Capetingians of the 13th c. seems to have had a good mix of troops of different abilities, and a decent grasp on the reins of power.
By the 14th c. it might be that the interests of the nobles in safe-guarding noble power hurt not just royal power, but indirectly the ability to wage war. The combination of renewed concentration of power into the hands of the king and gunpowder, was what it took to give France the upper hand again.
One must not insult the future.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by Joinville

Since getting on top of the Welsh was a drawn out process, Wales got all the hallmarks of a militarised border area- society put on an almost costant war-time footing, lots of experienced troops to be recruited. Wales worked like a kind of mercenry-factory in the British Isles ... Glyndwr himself had been fighting the Scots as a mercenry in the English army. There were companies of Welsh archers fighting in the HYW already, switching sides depending on pay.

Something similar happened in Scotland too, e.g. the Galloglass (and later Redshank) mercenaries that were used by Gaelic lords in Ireland from the time of the Anglo-Norman invasion to the Tudor Reconquest.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Endre Fodstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 08:10
I've always had a soft spot for Prestwich' theory of medieval (well, any premodern army, really) army effectiveness (which can be read in his Medieval Warfare - The English Experience), namely that a premodern army will, after the relatively limited training in large-scale formation movement the individual parts of the army can afford due to logistical restraints, the army will get better the longer it campaigns together. He lists a number of 12th century examples of mercenary forces of the same  background recruited either individually (in which case they perform rather badly) or as units who have already fought - or at least campaigned - together (in which case they tend to perform better than "permanent" retinue forces). It's very much a case of success breeding success; while you can get a lot of people in the field spread out (he estimated Edward II's armies close to 100,000 men at the most) it is pulling them together on the battlefield and giving them experience there that counts the most.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 09:16

The quality of self yew bows? I don't know about that.

Hunter gatherers who are dependant on the bow for their very survival develop both skills at using and manufacturing beyond that of later users.

Bows found show the lengthy processes of smoothing and tillering have been carried out with much more hours invested in pre-historic bows.  Paleolithic times they'de perfomed finishing work on the bow which would have taken days whereas in medieval times they haven't bothered.

There were plenty of medieval professional soldiers before the english adaption of the war bows (most retinue milites, for example), and the english bowmen were, in addition to those from mercenary sources, drawn from yeomen ranks and trained "by themselves" and given some amount of extra training, not trained from scratch and maintained in peacetime. There wasn't a permanent corps of bowmen with the exception of the archer bodyguards and such.

They were professional in the sense they weren't a Feudal levy. They were freemen who signed on for military services very much in a modern day sense at recruiting posts. They signed a contract, were paid and the contract had a termination date in which they were no-way obliged to continue with after. They were recruited in the modern day sense as professional contractors.

For a noble this may not be too radical, but for peasants....

Edited by Paul - 05-Jul-2007 at 09:20
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>