Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Were Spartans Jewish? !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were Spartans Jewish? !!!
    Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 06:21
As I said...politics...
CARRY NOTHING
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 12:24

Hey greek guys dont be shocked when fanatic jews claiming that cyprus origin is Jewish too. They are working on, i swear it.

OUT OF LIMIT
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 13:52

Kenaney

IIRC, one time ottomans promised jews for cyprus.

But after the conquest for cyprus, because of their heavy lost, they just become angry greeks and didnt give it them.

Maybe they will try their chance again.

Np. cyprus is a helenic land.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 16:42
Originally posted by Kenaney

Hey greek guys dont be shocked when fanatic jews claiming that cyprus origin is Jewish too. They are working on, i swear it.

No worries here. But better u Turkish guys keep an eye on them. I have found a certain amount of Jewish people in the net to support the non-Turkic origin of Khazaria.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 21:00
Originally posted by Kenaney

We know all about it. There have been previous attempts but fortunately unsuccessful.

In 1975 newspaper headlines throughout Hellas announced the interdiction of an Israeli "fishing boat," which had been stopped and boarded by the Hellinic Coast Guard.

The Israeli "fishermen" had been dropping "'ancient' tablets inscribed in Hebrew" into the waters off the coast of Crete. These "ancient" tablets would no doubt have been "discovered" at some later date by Israeli marine archaeologists, and used to "prove" that the ancient Cretans were "Semitic," thereby helping to lay the groundwork for the execution of their plan to add Crete to the greater history of Israel they are (or at least were) working to build.

When Michael Ventris deciphered the Cretan Linear B inscriptions in 1953, and proved that they were written in Hellinic, there were no doubt many long faces among them

(Note: the article has been edited)
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Anonym View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Anonym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 14:27
Originally posted by Yiannis

That happens when one examines ancient sounces only by their context,  not taking into account the social/political environment in which they were written in.

For example, I remember a fascist Greek, taking into account a phrace of a Jewish writer who saying something in the lines of "these hated Greeks, we should kill them etc...". That taken out of proportion can be used to show that "Jews hate Greeks", but considering that this was written at a time when the process of the Hellenisation of Judea was in full swing, with Greek colonists arriving all the time and Hellenized Jews worshiping Zeus in the Temple of Solomon, one gets another picture. That the writter was a faithfull & patriotic Jew who resists the conquerors of his country.

I think that this part in in the Old testament, Macabees or something like it...

It was common practice to claim a kinship with other people when corresponding.  I seem to recall a series of correspondences by the Hittite king with a western power (let's not start up which one) that steadily grew more familial as that other power became more prominent and worthy of respect.  It's a diplomatic protocol, that's all.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2011 at 19:04
I don't think so. The Spartans encouraged homosexuality while the Jews viewed it as an abomination. I may be wrong, but i don't think the Greeks practised circumcision or worshipped the one true God. However, both Jews and Spartans had long hair, skilled slingers and mythical strongmen in the form of Samson and Hercules, making it possible one civilisation copied the other
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2011 at 19:35
One theory links the Spartans with the tribe of Dan, though i don't buy it
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2011 at 17:10
I wish Yiannis were here to answer but I see no cultural, religious or ethnic connection between the Spartans and the Jews.

we should add this one to our emoticons-LOL

Edited by eaglecap - 22-Sep-2011 at 17:28
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2011 at 19:33
According to this source there was a Jewish community in Sparta until the 10th century when they were expelled in response to a plague outbreak. Perhaps their ancestors migrated there when Israel and Sparta first made contact?
History of the Byzantine Jews
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2011 at 14:15
I know by the time of Christ Greece had a large Jewish population but is that the 10th c. AD?

I will have to print out this article and read it over later. Thank you!

Better yet I think I will purchase the book via Hastings or Amazon.com

It looks very interesting and anything about Byzantine history I love since it is part of my roots.

Edited by eaglecap - 23-Sep-2011 at 14:18
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123