Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Ancient History still relevant today?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Ancient History still relevant today?
    Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 03:38
I think so. That's why I made Homer Reborn . And that's why I am inviting everyone here to come check it out.

Our focus is purely on the Classical World and why we should still study it today. Some other posts include:

Admiration Unburied , which compares Abraham Lincoln to Servius Tullius.

Soft Around The Edges , which relates the story of the Ionian revolt against Persia.

We even have a guest article (and are looking for guest writers!):
Republican Generals , which compares Publius Scipio Africanus to George Washington.

I formally invite everyone to drop on by and help support the cause-we need the world to know that the Classics are still alive and relevant today!

Vale
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 05:14
I wouldn't mind "dropPing in", if only your site hadn't had a clear political orientation, that's a neo-conservative one. Plus, I find the paralellisms that you're trying to draw, as arbitrary and 'accommodating".
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 12:13
Neo-Con?

Quite the contrary, I am very much against them .

My views are based on extensive readings of: Aristotle and Seneca.

I don't understand how the parallels are arbitrary though-would you mind explaining?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:50
Maybe not neo, but definitely <i>con</i>. Could fail to notice the number of times that "Ayn Rand" and "Capitalism" appeared in your recommeded lists.

# AbleKane Adventures
# Allen Kamrava
# Awake and Free
# Ayn Rand Institute
# Capitalism Magazine
# Charlotte Capitalist
# Cox and Forkum
# Daniel Pipes
# Ego
# Focus Foundry
# Laissez-Faire Capitalism
# Noodle Food
# Noumenalself
# Rational Mind
# Reclaim Your Brain
# Rule of Reason
# The American Thinker
# The Benjo Blog
# The Forum for Ayn Rand Fans
# The Secular Foxhole
# Victor Davis Hanson
# d'Anconia Online
# gus van horn

It is okay. First, rational conservatives are always welcome, I perosnally like them, and reading a conservative point on ancient history will be interesting.

Only promise me one thing: that you will actually hang around here to have those discussions as opposed to just dropping by while you do your promotional blitz.

After all, won't more people visit your site the more they see it here?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 18:31
I actually meet your request!

Every day I come here and check out the different forums.  I'm not as much a "heavy post" as a "HEAVY poster".  This means that instead of posting a lot, when I do make a post...it is when I think I have something good to add.

I do have a "forum home" and hate people who come in, advertise, and leave; so I understand where you are coming from.  And trust me, I'm not that person .
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 19:38
We are all fine then
Anonym View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Anonym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 22:22

Originally posted by Yiannis

I wouldn't mind "dropPing in", if only your site hadn't had a clear political orientation, that's a neo-conservative one. Plus, I find the paralellisms that you're trying to draw, as arbitrary and 'accommodating".

Just curious, how would you define neo-con? 

Edited by Anonym
 Post Reply Post Reply