Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nordkaiser View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nordkaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books
    Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 11:27
I have been reading a bit about the history of Persia on Wikipedia and Iran Chamber, but I need a good book. Can anyone reccomend some books on the history of Persia that is affordable? Any help would be much appriciated.

By the way, as sort of a sub question(I did not want to make a whole thread for this) after the end of Sassanid, when the Umayyid Caliphate took control of Persia, was the nation/people always dominated by Arabs/Turks or did they gain independence for themselves?

Excuse my ignorance on the subject.
Ihr Racker, wollt ihr ewig leben?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 12:24

Here is a little guide for you:

Look into the post Islamic Safarid and Samanid Dynasties, they were Iranic -

The Abbasid Caliphate that deposed the Ummayid Caliphate which was supported by the Iranian Khorasani army led by Abu Moslim (an Iranian) and its capital tranferred to Baghdad, an Iranian city with an Iranian name meaning "god given" close to the old Iranian capital of Ctesiphon.

Look up Babak Khoramdin.

Also note that all of the Turkic dynasties were Iranianised; they endorsed Iranian culture and gave themselves Persian titles.

Look up Seljuqs, Safavids, Qajar, Afsharid dynasties for info on the originally Turkic Iranian dynasties.

And also the Iranic Zand Dynasty

Shahanshah View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Shahanshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 04:26

i think the kawarsim dynasty was also turkic but of iranian origin, that was the last iranian dynasty before mongol invasion, after that iranians became independent again under safavids who were azeris, therefore iranian even thou they spoke turkic at first. sam with qajars. afsharids were turkomen by iranian, as i far as i know Nadir Shah never spoke any word of turkoman language. prove me wrong if i am, please.

the Zands were kurdish, therefore iranians.

If you are looking for a good book, i suggest you to read "Splender of Persia" by Robert Payne. It is an old and long book, but its very good, i think you should be really interested in the iranian history for you to actually read all of the book. it starts from aryan migrations to i think pahlavi dynasty.

King of Kings, The Great King, King of the world.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 11:02

Hey Nord, I cam across this today, check it out.

Shiraz in the Age of Hafez: The Glory of a Medieval Persian City (Publications on the Near East)  
John W. Limbert
< =http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/legacy-handle-buy-./202-2421401-1185431 method=post>

Availability: usually dispatched within 1 to 2 working days 6 Used & New from 23.03

See larger photo

Edition: Paperback

Browse our great selection of Special Offers.

More Product Details

Product Details:

• Paperback 192 pages (June 30, 2004)
  • Publisher: University of Washington Press
  • Language: English
  • ISBN: 0295983914
  • Category(ies): History , Travel & Holiday
  • Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 1,223,560
    (Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

• 6 used from 23.03
    Have one to sell?

Reviews

Synopsis
    Provides not only a rich context for Hafez's poetry but also a comprehensive perspective on a fascinating place in a dynamic time In the fourteenth-century Persian city of Shiraz, poets composed, scholars studied, mystics sought hidden truths, ascetics prayed and fasted, drunkards brawled, and princes and their courtiers played deadly games of power. This was the world of Shams al-Din Mohammad Hafez Shirazi, a classical poet who remains broadly popular today in his native Shiraz and in modern Iran as a whole, and among all lovers of great verse traditions. As John Limbert notes, Hafez's poetry is inseparable from the Iranian spirit - a reflection of Iranians' intellectual and emotional responses to events. But if Hafez's endurance derives from the considerable charm of his work, it also arises from his sure grounding in the life of his day, from a setting so deftly explored by his verse that his depictions of it retain a timeless relevance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0295983914/202-2421 401-1185431#product-details

Guests View Drop Down
      Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 18:39
    Mazda Publishers makes an elite line of history books that are
    also affordable, you can get them "used" (they're actually pretty
    new) on amazon.com or actually check the
    mazdapublisher.com site on the book clearance section.
     Post Reply Post Reply