Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who were the (original) Slavs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who were the (original) Slavs?
    Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 07:58
This is one that seems to confuse me alot. Although I have read numerous information on the Slavic peoples and their history, it still seems that I'm uncertain when it comes to knowing where exactly did the first Slavs originate from?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 09:36
must have been turks.
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 10:12
 haha very funny
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 11:48
Slavs mostly live in the same region where ancient Scythians and Sarmatians lived.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 12:00

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3330& ;PN=3

Read one of the last posts in this topic, it explains it really well.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 12:30
They got defined in the Baltic Bronze culture, along with Baltics. Later they developed the Lausitz culture, separated from that of the Baltic peoples. I'm not very sure about the Iron age, but guess they suffered the Germanic expansion as much as Celts (though maybe later). But, at difference of these, they weren't annihilated (fully assimilated). Eventually, when Goths and all those Eastern Germanic tribes migrated westward, they could retake their lands.

So guess their origin is basically in Poland and nearby regions.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 12:55

I always thought the Slav's were the ancient Greeks of Plato and Alexander's time.

After they got kicked out of ancient Greece they headed east, became nomadic barbarians for a few centuries and returned to Europe as the Slav's.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 13:01

I always thought the Slav's were the ancient Greeks of Plato and Alexander's time.

After they got kicked out of ancient Greece they headed east, became nomadic barbarians for a few centuries and returned to Europe as the Slav's.

How did you ever get to that idea?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 12:20
Hey, looking for something else, I've found one link that seems to explain Slavic origins quite well: http://www.slavicsword.cjb.net/

A map from that site.

Harry Potter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Harry Potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 20:56

Originally posted by Maju

interesting map, look good at Greece

Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan Freedom or Death!
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 06:46
Harry Potter, you as so attracted to fiction, as your name also clearly indicates.

Of course there were slavs who came into the Hellenic territory and even settled and intermixed with the locals.
Don't forget, that peaceful interaction was never opposed by the Greeks. If you had a peaceful reason to be around (trade, marriages, emissaries, travellers, immigrants), nobody persecuted you.

Therefore, your scoptic comment was actually quite misplaced.
CARRY NOTHING
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 12:56
Slavs didnt enter into the heart of Albania then.... It wouldnt happen until the Bulgarian Empire...According to this ridiculous map. All these people who dont share similar genetics with the Slavs are slavic...
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 13:56
I don't think the map can be taken too seriously in its inclussion of all peoples and lands east of the red line (which is accurate) Obviously Lithuanians, Finns, Albanians and Greeks weren't Slavs and those areas shoul have been left uncolored or colored with less intense brown, meaning sparse penetration. Obviously whoever draw that map was kind of pan-Slavist... still the essential concepts reflected in it are valid.
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 23:06

the Slavs have simply been in the east/ central european areas since the beging just like the germanaic peoples in west/ cent. europe

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 14:29
A version of that same map is found in Harper Collins Atlas of World History, edited by Geoffrey Barraclough.  Definitely not Pan-Slavist.  I think it just reflects the idea that Slavs had made a massive impact in their migrations becoming the principal linguistic population in eastern Europe.  One notes that the eastern half of ancient Germania had become Slavic.  Byzantine and other independent sources admit to massive Slavic settlement in the Peloponnese itself, but eventually those Slavs became Hellenized.  The idea that their original abodes were about the Pripet Marshes have been given much attention and there seems to be a consensus on that point. 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 21:27
I already said that the essential concept and the wester border are accurate but the map (probably with some intentionality) doesn't make difference between areas fully slavized, partly slavized and somehow influenced by the Slavic culture. It's too ambiguous east of the red line. I can take your explanation for Greece but what about Finn and Baltic areas? For instance, what about the region named "Lithuanians" that has no red arrow pointing to it and still is fully colored in ochre? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 21:41
Originally posted by Thracian

the Slavs have simply been in the east/ central european areas since the beging just like the germanaic peoples in west/ cent. europe

No, it's not that simple. Cultures and peoples are more dynamic than that - and at the beginnig we were all somewhere in Africa, btw.

While the Slavic case may cause more doubts, maybe, the German case is well studied and it is very clear that they are original from Scandinavia and Lower Germany (where the natives, had recieved proto-German culture possibly around 2400 BCE) and that they started their expansion southwards, slowly after 800 BCE and more quickly just before the start of our conventional age, subduing in the proccess many Celtic tribes.

On Slavs, I do think that the theory reflected in the map is probably accurate on source and dates of expansion, at least as far as my knowledge reaches. Slavs seem to derivate from the Lausitz culture that was more or less in what is now Poland in the Bronze Age. They may have been there since maybe as soon as 3000 BCE (but 2400 is a safer date).

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 18:43
The slavs were originally from Ukraine area. An d yes they pretty much migrated to all the areas shown in the map. although it is a very poor map. they might not have mixed with the native peoples there but they did migrate there for however short an amount of time. except albania. i am not sure aif they to Albania or not. probobly around the edges but not into the main area.
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 23:54

I can take your explanation for Greece but what about Finn and Baltic areas? For instance, what about the region named "Lithuanians" that has no red arrow pointing to it and still is fully colored in ochre? 

For "Lithuanians", and the rest of the eastern Baltic coast, perhaps an oversight?  Perhaps an overgeneralization?  Linguistically, Baltic and Slavic comprise a family of its own within IE, and perhaps the author wasn't aware how much the rest of the eastern Baltic wasn't even IE.  As for "Finnish Peoples", this may represent the initial Slavic penetration of their region by such proto-Russian tribes as the Polochane, Sloviane, and the Krivichi.  The westernmost Baltic coast was the abode of the Pomorane. 

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 00:22
Originally posted by Harry Potter

Originally posted by Maju

interesting map, look good at Greece

Interesting map, they actually name Macedonia, now this map is really inaccurate..

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>