Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most significant battle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Battle? (from about 1000-1BC)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [33.33%]
5 [20.83%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [33.33%]
3 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most significant battle?
    Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 15:54
Which is? (time period 1000-1 BC)?

Edited by rider
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 20:09

Grr I vote Guagamela when I should have done Zama.

I say Zama because it ensured the domination of the Roman republic over the western med, the first major stepping stones to the massive empire it was to become, with Carthage destroyed as a major threat it was only a matter of time before the Barbarians followed them in their fate.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 21:50
I think Gaugamela was the most significant of those in the list.

Zama was very symbolic, but I don't think it was much of a turning point because at that point there was no way Carthage could've recover its strength even if Scipio's army was crushed. The Romans had already conquered most of Spain from Carthage and Scipio had alreayd begun campaigning in Africa.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 22:27
I couldn't vote for Plataea so I voted Marathon instead.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 02:54

I voted for Salamis as because someone said it stopped the Persian invasion to Greece for all ages, and Greek dominated over the Persians and was a major step in the East's expansion over West.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 08:23

The main reason I didnt vote for Marathon is because if the Persian general whos name escapes me hadnt of sent men to Athens instead of keeping them on the battlefield, then its unlikely that the greeks even if the Spartans had bothered to come in time would have won.

Its a very important victory but the fact the persians practically commited suicide by sending away their cavalry and leaving only archers and infantry who just wernt good enough to fight the hoplites, then I tend to look down on the victory to an extent because it should have been very different.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 11:17

Well, everyone has it's own ideas.. lol

TheGeneral's name started with A.... wait, i will reach it quickly.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 16:10
I voted Salamis because it was kinda the turning point in the Persian wars and made Xerxes to return back to Asia by taking with him a large part of his army.
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 18:03
I voted Zama because it ensured the domination of Latin culture, in one way or the other, in the west. This Latin domination led to many important events in the future. Alexander's battles were important at the time, but Greek culture failed to survive in Asia.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 04:30
I think you underestimate the influence of Greek culture and the dynamic that was created, as a result of Alexander's conquest. That was the first globalization attempt and the huge common market that was created help spread ideas and knowledge to the whole known world. I strongly believe that without Alexander, the future of Rome would be very different.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 21:39

Zama is a tempting answer, because, as II said, it had massive symbolic significance.  But as was already said, the Punic War was already in hand for the Romans pre-Zama.

I'll go with Gaugamela, for reasoning that it opened much of the eastern world up to the power that would hold it for the next few hundred years.

Magnesia, Cynoscephalae, and Actium deserve some mention as well.

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 21:55
Can we have a description of each battle, such as Carrhae was Persian defeat over Roman legions, mainly because the horse archers devestated the legionaries..
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 02:08
You can post links to all battles..
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 06:24

I would have included the battle of Stalingrad. Undoubtably that is the most important battle in all of human history. Oops I didn't see that this poll is only for the perio 1000 - 1 B.C. Sorry, my mistake.

Edited by the Bulgarian
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 03:09

What about the syracouse battle  when greek failed to conquer the city

by their failed Europe civilization late 100 yaers

in addition Marathon battle was a great batlle outnumbered persian army defeated by greek under melitdis (i dont know the spell) in plains of Marathon.

Zama & Gaugamela .too

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
 Post Reply Post Reply