Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iranian Military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iranian Military
    Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 14:43

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

The Iranian military.......you guys are kidding, right? 

YEA! Right! We are!

I suppose you'll be laughing if nothing but twisted metal hunks that used to be a US battle group or two afflict their ugly mass on the bed of the Persian Gulf thanks to the P270 Moskit. And if the straights of Hormuz are shut down for months on end, won't sky high fuel prices just be hilarious? 

I know I will be... 

But the part I will enjoy most is when suddenly the draft is reinstated to deal with this new terror that will erupt in Afghanistan, Iraq and other Gulf states, that will just be hysterical. 

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 15:51
To beat the United States, you need aerial superiority and, as I have just discovered, Iran is barely a hegemon. There will never be another draft as the president who would instate one would not last very long. It looks like Iran will need a few more decades before it can return to the glory it deserves.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 15:55

I didnt say Iran would win, his ignorance was just a little funny.  I was stating a worst case scenario, that is, if Bush decided to launch terror attacks on Iran and Iran's probable reaction with its laughable military. 

No doubt the US would win any war, but it has some highly exploitable strategic weaknesses vis-a-vis Iran that would not require air superiority to take advantage of.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 16:59

Zagros:

You are proud of your country, no doubt, but a few ballistic weapons systems, and some obsolescent aircraft and tanks would not bode well for a confrontation.  Neither would a nuclear device...that is probably the least valuable asset the Iranian military could possess.

The "bomb" is easy; the delivery systems are not, and an aerial delivery would seem unlikely as that would be the first capability taken out.  An attack of this type would result in retaliation far more serious than closing the Straits of Hormuz for awhile.

The U.S. has its own oil fields and strategic reserve of oil, as well as access to supplies in Latin America, the North Sea and Nigeria.  Closing the outlet from the Gulf would cripple Iran, set back your continuing development, make innumerable enemies for you, and gain you nothing.  The West would pay higher prices for fuel for awhile....not such a disaster.

The tone of your post was a little tough, just be careful with your wishes lest some of them come true.  You do have a great laugh (), and I hope a sense of humor.

JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:33
Originally posted by farohar

Ey JiNanRen
"I don't think 
is still consider a military power"

Definition of a military power...

Armed forces are the military forces of a state. They exist to further the foreign policy program of their governing body. They consist of both military and paramilitary forces. Armed force is the use of armed forces to achieve political objectives.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_power

If you meant military superpower, then say superpower... key word there , and if we are no regional threat, then what's got Ariel Sharon telling the world (more particularly the US) to be aware of Iran as a threat... a modern armies power lies in more than just its air force, don't get me wrong, its really important. Also, Iran only needs a big enough army to counter a military threat, more importantly a military threat from any neighbouring countries around it, and I think its fair to say that we are.

I should've clarified that Iran is not a huge regional threat in terms of convention military power.  Its strength comes from its human/natural resources as well as its unconventional arsenal aka Chemical/biological/Nuclear capability.  Also Iran has an array of theater missiles aka ballistic/cruise missiles that is a serious concern for Israel.

JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:39
IMHO, the Pasdaran can't be any better than Iraqi Republican Guard, it's capabilities is way too overrated.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 18:59

did u not know that the US bought off most of the Iraqi army's officers prior to the invasion and that is why most of it went plain clothed and disappeared into the general populace on invasion? only a few loyal battalions were left and even they fought in a very lukewarm manner.

If the US had faced any form of spirited resistance from the Iraqi Army, taking every town would have been like taking Fallujah which is even now not fully under government, nevermind, US control.

revolutionary guards are not conventional infantry, by the way, and are not comparible to the republican guards - the pasdaran have branches of every sort.  I fhte US wants to attack they will not be able to defeat the Iranian army before they do so, like they did with Iraq.

Shahanshah View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Shahanshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 19:52

okay the north korean missiles are just iranian proto-types. There are about dozens of iranian military scientists in N korea assisting them. Basically the iranians are testing their technology in north korea and then perfecting them in iran with "Shahabs". Iran has already upgraded its shahab 3 missile with solid fuel engine and has a range of 2000 - 2500? km that can reach the middle of europe, they are also developing shahab 4 which can reach London (i say they probably have made several prto-types). They have made them so they cant be destroyed by american Patriots or israeli "needle missles".

if iran is attacked, iraqi shias and afghanis are going to create so much trouble for americans. You think americans have been triumpht in both countries. please, if it wasnt for iran, both afghanistan and iraq would be graveyards for american and british soldiers.

lets not forget hizbollah, with iranian made drones can penetrate deep in israeli terrotory.

I almost forgot, iran has designed and manufactured its own fighter aircrafts. one of them which is "Azarakhsh". iran has pilotless drones and also is in deep work for stealth bombers, there are rumores that iran bought the technology for stealth bombers from russia. and i think iran will launch its own spy satellite in few years.

King of Kings, The Great King, King of the world.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 19:56
Iran has the brainpower definately, just not the finance to move things along quickly enough.
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 10:49

If the US had faced any form of spirited resistance from the Iraqi Army, taking every town would have been like taking Fallujah which is even now not fully under government, nevermind, US control.

revolutionary guards are not conventional infantry, by the way, and are not comparible to the republican guards - the pasdaran have branches of every sort.  I fhte US wants to attack they will not be able to defeat the Iranian army before they do so, like they did with Iraq.

the primary factor of delay was hardly the Iraqi army but rather logistics

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 14:06

exactly, the Iraqi army was practically non existent, look what trouble a hand full of militants caused in fallujah. god forbid it had been an organised army garrison fighting for god and country.

they had to reinstate part of the old iraqi army headed by a baathist officer to make ceasefire.

Edited by Zagros Purya
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 18:06
Originally posted by Zagros Purya

Iran has the brainpower definately, just not the finance to move things along quickly enough.

I totally agree! it always amazes me that the Persians can use refurbished British/American junk as basis and develop them into modern indigenous weapon system like the Zulfiqar and Azarakhsh

However what i do have doubts in is the raw power of the Iranian conventional military.  I don't know if it can stop quick Israeli pre-emptive strikes at Iran's strategic targets like missile production/operational bases, nuclear facilities, bomber bases, or assassination plots etc. etc.  I think the IDF can literally decapitate the brains of the Iranian regime and effectively contain Iran's missile capabilities and destroy its nuclear/chemical/biological facilities.
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 18:14

Azarakhsh is basically upscale F-5 with a Iranian radar.

Saeqeh is basically a twin-engine, twin tail-finned F-5 with a Iranian radar.

Shafaq is an advanced light attack/advanced trainer, probably fully indigenous.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 18:18

Conventionally the Iranian military is nothing special at all, it is still largely stuck in the 70s/80s.  However, such a decapitation is impossible unless a full scale and competely ruthless conventional invasion is mounted and no country is willing to take the economic risk of such an adventure nor the will.

Israel could easily rebuff any conventional invasion mounted by any army within a 2000 mile radius.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 19:37

Electronic and power plant upgrades notwithstanding, the F-5 and F-14 are 30-40 year old technology, and no match for contemporary weapons systems.  I am not trying to denigrate your pilots or command structure here, but technological sophistication and experience trump the warrior's spirit and courage in the 21st century.

Whatever differences there are between Iran and regional powers, or with outside powers, can and should be addressed without military conflict if possible.  

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 05:14

Look, no one is saying the Iranian military is "all dat" and its airforce would fall out of the sky like flies against the high tech powers, but Iran has devised such a strategy that a war against it would not be won in the air, Iran has no delusions over its military prowess like Saddam which at the least is 100 times more powerful than Saddam's and its caution, prudence and intelligence is what makes Iran a difficult customer.

This thread is just an analysis, no need to make mocking and ignorant remarks.

JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 07:25
What Iran needs is AWACS, without it, the Airforce pilots can't even see what is shooting at them.  F-14 has a powerful phased array radar and a buddy datalink, but thats only creates networks of like 30 fellow Tomcats(other aircrafts have different radars and thus are uncapable of linking) on a 250 mile radius, definitely not enough to cover the entire region.
What Iran also needs is advanced SAMs and guidance, as proven in the Balkans War, an obsolete SAM with modern guidance radar was able to down a stealthy F-117A. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 09:15
Speaking of AWACS, did Israel seel the tech to China?
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 17:25
Nope the Phalcon deal got killed by Bush junior, the Russian A-50I deal was rejected by Beijing.  We were forced to make our own AWACS and came up with the KJ-2000(Russian Il-76 with Chinese Radar) and a Y-8 with a new "Balance Beam" phased array radar similar to the Swedish Ericsson Erieye.  So have about 4 KJ-2000s and maybe 2 "Balance Beams" with 8 older British imported Skymasters for AEW.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 11:28

hmm, does China have any indigenous fighter/bombers in teh pipeline? I am really surprised that nothing prominent has yet emerged. Correct me if I am wrong.

Personally I think that Iran, Russia, China and India as well as the Central Asian Republics should form a new Axis to balance the flagrant Western exploitation of the world.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>