Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Venus De Milo (mild nudity)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Venus De Milo (mild nudity)
    Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 04:02
This is a sketch I did a while ago. It tortured me, let me tell you. The whole point was trying to sketch out the whiteness of the statue but it doesn't seem too clear here. I think I should've made the shading more darker but it's Venus De Milo (the Roman goddess of love and beauty) and I thought faint and soft lines were much more appealing.

It looks very different from the original statue, but that's because I had a mini statue of it as a reference.

So tell me what you think.
And just ignore the picture behind, I hate scanning.

Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 09:52
Thanks for the support everybody.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 09:55

oh i can see it

is it hera the goddess behind your drowing?

and thats a good work Toast  we are waiting for more

Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 09:58
That was very kind of you azimuth. Actually the drawing behind it is of a sculpted head.

I'll post some more later!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 16:56
sorry, this sub-forum is not very popualted, but i like your drawing, very nice indeed. i must assume you draw since very early, that does not look like the product of a beginner.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 20:51
Really nice drawing, wrong title.
It is Aphrodite of Milos, the Greek goddess of love and beauty.

And if you would take a comment:
If you are still trying to retouche, try not concentrating to the muscular structure but rather to the fluidity of the lines and the flexibility of the posture.

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 13:45
Temujin, well I believe I have been drawing all my life but started getting serious about a year ago... at least I think so. I'm glad that you liked it! Cheers.

Tenno, actually I haven't gotten the title wrong. You can check it out here. And thank you very much for the comment, I am thinking about doing a slight retouch on it so I can finish it off. Though it has been forgotten for some time. Cheers!

Edited by Toast
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 06:45
Tenno is my rank, Menippos is my name.
And as you may notice, the link that you have provided goes like:
http://www.the-artfile.com/gallery/history/greek/venusdemilo.jpg
Also, Milos is and was a Greek island.
And Venus is the Roman equivalent of the Greek Aphrodite.
Aphrodite of Milos was created during the Hellenistic period, but the form of the statue recalls the grand achievements of the Classical style.

Check the following links:
Art History at Loggia on Aphrodite of Milos
and
MilosVenus

I think that they will help you

CARRY NOTHING
Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 07:28
Oh, I'm sorry about that. As you may have noticed I am new here and the whole rank/name thing is kind of confusing to me.

Anyway, Menippos, I may not know a lot about Roman or Greek goddesses but I was under the impression that what I drew above was the statue of Venus De Milo which is currently situated in The Louvre Musuem. However, after briefly viewing the sites you posted, I cam across this:

"The marble statue known as the Aphrodite of Melos is one of the most recognizable works of art from the ancient world. Also referred to as Venus de Milo (Venus, of course, is the Roman version of Aphrodite's name), this imposing image of the goddess of love and beauty has inspired admiration over the centuries."

So I'm not completely wrong, right?

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 07:56
No, not completely wrong. But if you recall, in your original message you state ..."it's Venus De Milo (the Roman goddess of love and beauty)"...
And the statue is actually of the Greek goddess called Aphrodite.
But it is a common practice now to identify the two different names, as they virtually refer to the same deity but in different languages. It is a language thing, which leads to the misconception that the statue, or the goddess, is Roman.

That's why I decided to comment on this.

But enough of this - let's concentrate on art. I will be happy to see any more work you decide to do on the - already beautiful - drawing.
CARRY NOTHING
Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 08:13
I get it now, the statue was originally that of Aphrodite but due to interference of languages it's become known also as Venus. I think it's a common misconception since many didn't point that out to me (I know 'cause I have posted this some where else as well).

Well thank you for that. I hope I didn't give you much trouble. And about the drawing, I think I'm going to take my time on it since I'm working on other stuff as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Cheers!
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 08:36
No trouble at all.
I hope to see more of your drawings somewhere around these forums.
CARRY NOTHING
Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 09:48
Here's one for you:

I did it a while ago. Mostly what I do are doodles, I just can't get myself to finish anything. And if I did I have to paint or do some serious ass kicking shading and my physical state will be -oh yes!- in jeopardy. But, I'll see what I can do.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 16:35
Yes, she is like a VanGoch
There's a lot of pain or sadness in her eyes...
Or is it fear and curiosity?
CARRY NOTHING
Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 04:21
Well that depends on you, the viewer.  
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 04:57
True, true...
CARRY NOTHING
 Post Reply Post Reply