Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What about Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about Bulgaria
    Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 05:35

After I read the knowledge topic about USA, I decided to ask you what do you think about Bulgaria or do you know anything about Bulgaria?

Have you ever been here?!

Everybody listen only this which understands.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 05:55
Yup, been there twice - one was 25 years ago and one last year.
The difference is profound and obvious.
However, there are some vices which have remained unchanged.
I will not elaborate further because they are insignificant.
Evey country or nation has its own vices - it's part of their culture.

Bulgaria is a beautiful country, with many things to see and do, if you are a tourist. Bloody chap too, if you know where to shop, that is, where the locals do, and not in the tourist areas...
But even if you live there, even though life sometimes can be a bit of a bitch, you can actually love the country and its people. I know Greeks who live there - not only in Sofia, which is quite different from the rest of Bulgaria (but then again, which capital isn't different from the rest of the country?), but in the countryside too, and they do not want to move back to Greece.
I have 3-4 Bulgarian friends, who I understand and they understand me, and we have had both creative collaborations and very entertaining get-togethers.
This is only a superficial account of my experiences, but I must say this: I haven't regretted visiting, and I will most definitely visit again, for the food, for the rakia and for some mountain activities, but mostly for the warmth of its people and for the Bulgarian friends that I have there.
CARRY NOTHING
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 19:13
I once dated a Bulgarian. I hear they don't like Albanians very much 
Arrrgh!!"
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 19:58
I think the American one had more reason to be here.  I don't see a point for this.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 20:38
What do I think about Bulgaria?

Remember the 10/7/1994?
Letchkov and all that?
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 11:13
Originally posted by Cywr

I once dated a Bulgarian. I hear they don't like Albanians very much 

i dont think a lot of Albanians go to Bulgaria it the first place...
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 13:58

Ive got trouh Bulgaria to Turkey twice.

I have lots of complains about bulgaria, the fake police agents they have!!! They let you stop and asking "komshi, corba parasi versene bi 5" but this year ill fly over bulgaria to Turkey, no more kimshi's or corba's... 

OUT OF LIMIT
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 05:14

I didn't have the pleasure of driving through.
Perhaps I will try next time, to witness this first hand.
CARRY NOTHING
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 07:36

Yes, Bulgarians obviously now how to bribe, and their officers generally know enough Turkish to beg for soup money...

Whatever, I know Bulgars were an ancient Turkic tribe, and I know Bulgaria is our neighbor. I have mixed feelings about Bulgaria. Their ex reggimes tortured their Turkish minorities, they even force them to change their names, and lots of Bulgarian people and Turks immigrated to Turkey to escape from their government's pressure.

Now, they just voted for a new government that is similar to the past fascist one, and we expect them to cause diplomatic crisis again. I hope there wont be any others.

I also have positive feelings to some Bulgarians. For example in northern Thrace, there lives some Bulgarian immigrants and they are very beautiful and lovely people. As I said before, mixed feelings...

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Yes, Bulgarians obviously now how to bribe, and their officers generally know enough Turkish to beg for soup money...

No need to badmouth the Bulgarians, especially since your country lies far behind Bulgaria when it comes to the Corruption Level in the country: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781359.html

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 09:33
Guys, the topic here is BULGARIA.
Not Greece
Not Turkey
Not Serbia
Not Bosnia
Not Albania
Not FYROM
Not USA
Not UK
Not the Sahara desert either.

It is Bulgaria. Let's not mess up all the threads. Please.
CARRY NOTHING
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 09:33
Easy Yiannis. Do not deviate from the original topic.
No need to start another discussion, right ? Cool ?

Now, going into to the original subject. I was working for a belgian based company in Mexico. A site was located in Bulgaria.

Hugo, can you believe that a lday was named Marinela
For the non Mexicans Marinela is the name of pastry junk food down here in Mexico.

I was scheduled to travel from Mexico to Bulgaria once, but I did not had a chance to make the trip. I was planning visit Turkey from there.

My partners said that the food was not so good. Well, their compliant was that it was no spicy food Beautiful landscapes and gorgeous women.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 09:38
We have Marinela (the name, not the food) here in Greece too.
I know two of them who are quite tasty, though.

Well, food in Europe is not as spicy (hot) as in other places in the world. Tastes are milder, more down to earth (some might even call them boring but not me).
I have had excellent dishes in Bulgaria, they have a large variety of tastes. Pity I wasn't able to learn the names of these dishes, though I am sure that our Bulgarian co-scribers here can contribute to this.

And rakia... Ah, rakia!

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 12:08
Originally posted by Menippos

We have Marinela (the name, not the food) here in Greece too.
I know two of them who are quite tasty, though.

Well, food in Europe is not as spicy (hot) as in other places in the
world. Tastes are milder, more down to earth (some might even call them
boring but not me).
I have had excellent dishes in Bulgaria, they have a large variety of
tastes. Pity I wasn't able to learn the names of these dishes, though I
am sure that our Bulgarian co-scribers here can contribute to this.

And rakia... Ah, rakia!

Gansitos, probably ?
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 14:39
What are the Gansitos?
CARRY NOTHING
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 14:52
well, you mentioned that two of them who are quite tasty. I was wondering what one you tasted. Gansito is one of the oldest.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 16:59
Actually I was talking about 2 girls that I know, whose names are Marinela.
CARRY NOTHING
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 17:20

I was scheduled to travel from Mexico to Bulgaria once, but I did not had a chance to make the trip. I was planning visit Turkey from there.

Be sure that if you find the chance to come here, you will be warmly welcomed Jalisco...

No need to badmouth the Bulgarians, especially since your country lies far behind Bulgaria when it comes to the Corruption Level in the country: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781359.html

I dont think we need mods to start flame wars, but whatever, it is true that our country has heavy corruption level, but not as serious as the ex Warsaw pact states.

And rakia... Ah, rakia!

Do you mean raki? If so, we have something in common. I LOVE raki, even addicted to it...

Edited by Oguzoglu
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 17:51
Yep, they call it rakia in Bulgaria, and it is somewhat stronger than the usual mediterranean version.

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 19:30
As for Bulgaria, I've met a couple of Bulgarian in US.We were getting along quite well untill they learned I'm a Turk.After that, well, it didn't go so well.They didn't even bother to say hi or even looked at me it didn't bother me back then and it still doesn't.

As for now, I think I can say I'm neutral to Bulgaria
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>