Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best military commander among Alexander’s succesors

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who do you think was the best general among ATG succesors and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [25.00%]
6 [30.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [15.00%]
1 [5.00%]
2 [10.00%]
1 [5.00%]
1 [5.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ironwill View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ironwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best military commander among Alexander’s succesors
    Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 18:48
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 20:10

Demetrius, Ptolemy III, Antiochus III, Philip V, and Pyrrhos aren't technically Successors, and you left out Eumenes and Cassander. 

Anyway, my vote goes to Ptolemy I Soter.  He has many great successes:  The defeat of Perdiccas near Memphis, the Gaza Offensive, the defense of Rhodes, the annexation of Palestine and Syria, etc.  Of course, to go with his military ability, he was an extremely capable administrator.

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 20:30
Yup, he was a 2 in 1 guy. And I would say this: it is one thing to create an empire, but to maintain it is an even more demanding task.
CARRY NOTHING
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 20:36
Antiochus for me. While his two mistakes at Raphea and Mangesia definately showed he could get a little irresponsible, but had it not been for the Romans, you could have seen a great revival of the Seleucids in the east, this was all the work of Antiochus III.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 04:13
Didn't Seleucus I Nikator expand the Graeco-Bactrian Empire into India?  Or do I have him confused with someone else?  If it was him, that was quite a feat. 
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 05:07

Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

Didn't Seleucus I Nikator expand the Graeco-Bactrian Empire into India?  Or do I have him confused with someone else?  If it was him, that was quite a feat. 

Nope it was Eythedemos (sp?)  with his son Demetrios.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 05:14

I vote for Pyrrhus. He was a distinguished general and military tactisian, had defeated twice Roman Legions and generally had the best results against Romans from the rest of the list. Even Hannibal considered him the best military commander of antiquity.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 13:37
Even Hannibal considered him the best military commander of antiquity.

Are you referring to the quote by Livy?
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 17:57

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Even Hannibal considered him the best military commander of antiquity.

Are you referring to the quote by Livy?

Yeap, if we consider the specific account as truthful.

Nikas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Nikas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 22:15
You are missing Antigonos Monophthalmos, who of all the successors came closest to preserving Alexander's empire (Antigonos Gonatos was his grandson). If not for the extraordinary combination against him at Ipsos (which he well could have won) he would have been almost a second Philip or Alexander.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 06:59

Originally posted by Nikas

You are missing Antigonos Monophthalmos, who of all the successors came closest to preserving Alexander's empire (Antigonos Gonatos was his grandson). If not for the extraordinary combination against him at Ipsos (which he well could have won) he would have been almost a second Philip or Alexander.

True, prior to Ipsus, he had never before lost a battle.

Hormoz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hormoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 09:52
Originally posted by Aeolus

I vote for Pyrrhus. He was a distinguished general and military tactisian, had defeated twice Roman Legions and generally had the best results against Romans from the rest of the list. Even Hannibal considered him the best military commander of antiquity.

I know Hannibal admired him, but I think he considered Scipio the greatest, and Alexander was also high on his list.

I also voted for Pyrrhus, too, btw.

Edited by Hormoz
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 03:00

Antiochus III the Great  was the greatest he reconquested all eastern provinces and defeat the indian, bactarian and parthian.

he defeated the egyption and drove them out from palastine.

He reunion his grandfather empire.

He was agreat leader.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 02:30
 18-year-old Antiochus III (called "the Great"), who appointed Achaeus to direct the war in Asia Minor.

Two brothers, Molon and Alexander, satraps in Babylon and Persis respectively, declared themselves independent kings and were followed by Media king Atropatene, who threw off his vassalage. Antiochus III marched his imperial army east, and by 219 BC Molon and Alexander, abandoned by their armies, committed suicide. Achaeus, whose father was a hostage in the court of Ptolemy III, broke off the siege of Pergamum and heading toward Antioch, declared himself king; but his troops failed to go along. Antiochus III took advantage of a dynastic succession in Egypt to attack Palestine; but after regaining Seleucia Pieria he was eventually defeated at Raphia in 217 BC. Three years later Antiochus III besieged Achaeus at Sardis and, after he was betrayed, had his body mutilated.

Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 02:31
Having ended the civil war and regained some of western Anatolia, the energetic Antiochus III next marched east through Armenia and Media to take on the Parthians. To finance this adventure Antiochus III took the treasury from the temple of the goddess Anahita near Ecbatana. The Seleucid army captured Hecatompylos, causing Parthian king Artabanus I to withdraw into Hyrcania; but Antiochus III could do no more than accept their promise of fealty and tribute. Then Antiochus III attacked independent Bactria, which would not yield. Euthydemus argued that their conflict would only help the Sacae nomads; so by conferring a gift of elephants and supplies, Euthydemus was accepted as a vassal king, as his son Demetrius married a daughter of Antiochus III. After eight years Antiochus III eventually returned to Seleucia on the Tigris, having gone through Afghanistan to India and back through Arachosia and Seistan.
Khalid Bin Walid
RollingWave View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote RollingWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 05:40
   In terms of result certainly Selucius I Niktor, whom build the huge Selucid empire from scratch (he wasn't an appointed satrap.... ) and was only stopped by an assasination (that and age... even if he didn't die to assination he was still a wooping 80 years old)
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 15:50

Yes, Seleucos I Nicator is the one to be have a place reserved. But Ptolemaios I Soter is also worth of mentioning, and ofcourse Antigonus I Monophthalmos...

it seems that Alexander was full of great commanders..

Post Reply Post Reply