Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz X, part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz X, part 2
    Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 16:46

Originally posted by styrbiorn

whoever wrote about Wilhem Tell had a liking for Scandinavian sagas...

just compare the flags of both countries...

best question is no.5 without doubt...

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 20:48
Wow, this was a close one. Styrbiorn, I hope you still have those formulas for calculating bonus.
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 21:00
i vote Dawn's Question 8, because it turned out i had the answer in front of me, and i had eyes and could not see.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 11:47
well after much thought  (it was a toss up between question 3 and 4  cause its just not right to vote for your own) I liked question 4 the best even if i had to make many guesses. Very difficult and worded well,
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 13:07
Total Quiz X Part 2 Awards

Moderator awards

Special Guesser Award to fastspawn for cracking the question I found hardest simply by pulling something... <fill in the blanks>

Special Persistency Award to Dawn for never giving up just because having a few more or less totally incorrect answers. Or, we say here, for being bull-headed.

Special Answer Scoring Award is a second award to fastspawn, for wiping the floor (well, swiftly brushing, at least) with the opposition.

Score based awards

Best Question Award is divided between questions 4, 5 and 8. Thus the only one gaining points is Dawn, getting an additional 2/3 points for question no 8.

Main Award - Winner of Total Quiz X part 2 for... Dawn

(Result in front page)

Congratulations to all winners!

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 13:09

Hmm, that doesn't look too good centered...

Seems to be a good idea to send in questions though

Edited by Styrbiorn
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 18:06
Dawn congratulations on the win!
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 11:36

Thanks Fastspawn.

I think that maybe there was an error in the scoring on Question9 I'm not sure that I sould have got that many points for the question. If thats the case then the Winner should be Fastspawn. Could you Check it Strybion?  

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 14:42
Originally posted by Dawn

Thanks Fastspawn.

I think that maybe there was an error in the scoring on Question9 I'm not sure that I sould have got that many points for the question. If thats the case then the Winner should be Fastspawn. Could you Check it Strybion?  

I'm pretty sure the calculations are correct.

Total Round 1 Bonus = Qsubmitted * (Qanswered / Qavailable)

Qsubmitted = Total number of questions on the Quiz submitted by the player.
Qanswered = Number of questions the player answered correctly in Round 1
Qavailable = Total number of questions available to the player, which is the total number of questions in the quiz minus those that he submitted.

QUESTION WRITERS� BONUS FOR ROUND TWO is given by the following formula:

Total Round two Bonus =
Q(r2) * [ ( AP(qw�s pts rd1) / LP(Leader's pts rd1) ) * LPII(rd2 leader's pts rd II)/(NQLII)]]

Q(r2) = Total number of questions by the player (question writer) that are in Round 2
AP(qw�s pts rd1) = Total number of points scored by the player (question writer) in round one, including his bonus points in round one.
LP(Leader's pts rd1) = Total number of points of the highest scoring player as of round one.
LPII(rd2 leader's pts rd II) = Total number of points scored IN ROUND TWO by the best performing player in round two (disregarding scores in round one).
NQLII = number of question ansered by round II leader in round II (LPII/NQLII =average points for 1 question earned by round II Leader in round II)

Bonus for round one is 2*8/9 ~= 1,778  =>  ~0.889p per question for round one.

Bonus for round two is 1*[ ((10+1.778) / 10)  *  (4/2) ] ~= 2.356.

Points for Q8: 0.888...+2/3 (best question) ~= 1,56.

Points for Q9: 0.888+2.356 ~= 3.24.

Seems correct to me. Although I agree it's a lot of points just for one question...

edit: damn, I've swapped the questions.
Doesn't matter though, the total score is still the same.

Points for Q8: 0.888...+2.356+2/3 (best question) ~= 3.91

Points for Q9: 0.888... ~= 0.89

Edited by Styrbiorn
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:26

Hmm.. I think in case of Q9 you should calculate only second round points..the idea of that system was that question author should be able to earn exactly the same amount of points as any other participant... also  (AP(qw�s pts rd1) / LP(Leader's pts rd1) ) should not be > 1

as the total number of points of the highest scoring player should be calculated also including bonus..

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:31
Originally posted by TJK

Hmm.. I think in case of Q9 you should calculate only second round points..the idea of that system was that question author should be able to earn exactly the same amount of points as any other participant... also  (AP(qw�s pts rd1) / LP(Leader's pts rd1) ) should not be > 1

as the total number of points of the highest scoring player should be calculated also including bonus..

I agree that would be more fair - however changing the rules in afterhind is even more unfair. I think we shall look over this before the next part, using this as reference, but we must let the already happened result stay.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:34

I know it doesn't matter now, (since my ranking won't change anyway), but I could've sworn I but Sven Forkbeard down? Can someone tell me what my answer was?

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:38
Originally posted by JanusRook

I know it doesn't matter now, (since my ranking won't change anyway), but I could've sworn I but Sven Forkbeard down? Can someone tell me what my answer was?

You wrote 'Harold' Forkbeard. I did think it was a typo and was about to give you points anyway, but decided to notify you about it instead (some page back).

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:41

Crap! sounds like something I'd do. I thought it was a spelling error like using Svein or Sweyn or something like that. Your right I didn't deserve the points.......still tho' got third place.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:43
Well it seems to be a math glitch that makes things turn out this way. I myself have no problems with you adjusting the forumula for this round to reflect more accurately. Fastspawn played better than I did. He amswered more questions correct and generally did a good job. If you change it I don't mind. Placeing second to someone that good is fine with me.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:50

Originally posted by JanusRook

Crap! sounds like something I'd do. I thought it was a spelling error like using Svein or Sweyn or something like that. Your right I didn't deserve the points.......still tho' got third place.

A shame, since you did find the answer. Anyway, be sure I don't care about spelling errors the slightest. 

I'm surprised you did not notice my note though - you even replied to it.

Originally posted by TJK

How about AP(qw�s pts rd1) being the total number of players points excluding round 1 bonus (which would make the quota <= 1), and round one bonus would only be calculated for questions not passing on to round 2. In this case that would mean 0.88... points for Q9 and 2 points (+bonus=2.66...) for Q8.

This would apply from and including the coming part 3 though, no changing of rules afterwards (<- take notice, I'm rather stubborn about this).

Edited by Styrbiorn
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 16:06
Styrbiorn this is not the change of the rules, this just interpetation which I have already used to caluclate the points in the previous Quizes..if the topic  with our discussion regarding new calculation system would be not deleted you would see that idea of calcuation was  to give the question author possibility to earn max 1 point for the question in 1st round nad max 2 point if the question was in the second round (but not in total 3 or more)
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 16:13

Originally posted by TJK

Styrbiorn this is not the change of the rules, this just interpetation which I have already used to caluclate the points in the previous Quizes..if the topic  with our discussion regarding new calculation system would be not deleted you would see that idea of calcuation was  to give the question author possibility to earn max 1 point for the question in 1st round nad max 2 point if the question was in the second round (but not in total 3 or more)

I know the reason behind the point system, but there is no room for interpretations - I calculated after what was written. Let's not get caught here though, leave the past and think of the future. What do you think of the changes I suggested (I suspect that's how it was meant to be/the way you've been calculating)?

Edited by Styrbiorn
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 16:21
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Let's not get caught here though, leave the past and think of the future.

The Lord giver of all points has spoken. (And not without wisdon i might add)

You new suggestion for scoring looks good.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 16:46
Originally posted by Dawn

You new suggestion for scoring looks good.

No, it doesn't. Just realized a submitter could end up without points for the second round questions if no one manages to answer a round  2 question, or have less points than for a round 1 questions. Maybe max(round 1 bonus/q , round 2 bonus/q as stated above).

Edited by Styrbiorn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>