Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

400.000 Jews in Warsaw before WW2???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400.000 Jews in Warsaw before WW2???
    Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 02:26
According to statistics by the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, there were 3.3 Million Jewish people living in Poland before the outbreak of WW2, of which almost 3 Million were murdered by the Nazis.

Dear god... Horrible...
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 20:23
Originally posted by Argentum Draconis

I was watching the movie "The Pianist" someone mentioned that there were 400.000 Jews in Warsaw before WW2 I thing this is an exaggeration. Jews are very little amount of people and why would so huge amount of them choose to live in a country like Poland which has nothing close with Jews?

According to statistics by the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, there were 3.3 Million Jewish people living in Poland before the outbreak of WW2, of which almost 3 Million were murdered by the Nazis.
In Germany itself of the 210.000 Jews before WW2, 180.000 were killed.

Source: Simon Wiesenthal Centre

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 19:48

For centuries Poland was one of the few places in Europe where the Jews could have lived without fear and prosper. First Jews settled in Poland in medieval times and since that were still coming. Jews were a separate class in the society under direct protection of polish kings. Noone was allowed to do any evil to them. In Poland even Holy Inquisition had no power so wasnt able to persecuate them. Whats more, polish nobles for centuries were afraid of polish towns folk and were supporting Jews against them and using Jews as their buissnses agents. For example, one of the greatest heroes for Jews was prince Jeremy Wisniowiecki who during rebellion of Khmielnitzky on the Ukraine was evacuating the Jews together with women, because Cossacks were showing no mercy to the Jews. Poland had always the biggest jewish population in Europe.

Saying that Poland has nothing close with Jews is not truth. It was their second homeland. Most of the prime ministers of Israel including those first, most of the generals and the most important people in jewish society are Jews of polish origin.

When Polish corps of general Anders was in Palestine during WW2, polish commander allowed all the Jews who wanted to desert his army and didnt persecuated them. 2 first prime ministers of Israel were between those deserters.

Edited by Mosquito
Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Argentum Draconis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 19:37

I was watching the movie "The Pianist" someone mentioned that there were 400.000 Jews in Warsaw before WW2 I thing this is an exaggeration. Jews are very little amount of people and why would so huge amount of them choose to live in a country like Poland which has nothing close with Jews?

Post Reply Post Reply