Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can carnivores survive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can carnivores survive?
    Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 20:51
Carnivores can survive on almost entirely meat, but why not humans?  Humans cannot  survive and be heatlhy by just eating meat, but carnivores can. The thing maybe i was thinking was that we humans cook our meat, while animals eat it raw. Maybe we loose something when we cook the meat. What is the reason?
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 00:44
Humans even up to the Neolithic Age were very much different from the humans of today. As I am not a biologist, I am not sure of the details, but humans of prehistory had different enzymes in their digestive systems that allowed them to handle raw meat. After many thousands of years of cooking meat, humans have lost these enzymes as they are no longer necessary. This great example of how the advancement of civilization cripples us.

As for why humans cook their meat, there is no clear single answer. Some speculate that the cooking of meat began when prehistoric man discovered that fire sanitized decaying meat, meanwhile discovering that it tasted better too. However, I am sure there are countless other speculations about this.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 07:47
IIRC, people can still handle raw meat, indeed it is a delicacy in some countries. It has to be super-duper fresh though.
I think cooking the meat was just the first step in the development of food processing, though i'm nt sure what pre-historic humans would make of Golden Wonder's Pot Noodles
Arrrgh!!"
reign View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 10:32

Originally posted by Belisarius

Humans even up to the Neolithic Age were very much different from the humans of today. As I am not a biologist, I am not sure of the details, but humans of prehistory had different enzymes in their digestive systems that allowed them to handle raw meat. After many thousands of years of cooking meat, humans have lost these enzymes as they are no longer necessary. This great example of how the advancement of civilization cripples us.

As for why humans cook their meat, there is no clear single answer. Some speculate that the cooking of meat began when prehistoric man discovered that fire sanitized decaying meat, meanwhile discovering that it tasted better too. However, I am sure there are countless other speculations about this.

Actually, prehistoric human cook their meat because they discover that they are able to bite and chew their food much better, therefore, loosing their canine in the process because it is'nt necessary anymore.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 15:01

I've eaten a bit of raw food myself.

My favourite food in the world is raw fish. You're only sopposed to make Sashimi from sea fist as fresh water fish carry parasites that can harm your liver. Raw fish tastes better but only for a few hours when it's really fresh.

Raw prawns are eaten all over SE Asia and also taste better for a the first few hours.

Japanese all have a raw beef Sashimi. They sear the outside of a steak for a few second on a ferocious heat so the outside blackens but the inside stays raw, this seals the juices in. they then cut it into wafer thin slices, so it's no problem to eat. Only trouble is, it tastes terrible.

Thais eat raw pork. They mince it so it's no trouble to chew and then cure it with heaps of fresh chilli to kill the germs. It's so good I've smuggled bags of it through customs back home.

On the whole from my experince chewing raw meat isn't a problem, neither does it taste better. It's a freshness issues. Human history, salting meat, freezing it, drying it and putting sauces on it is all about prolonging the life of it and cooking it is a way of doing that.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 06:13
In Poland one of my favourite meals is raw beef mixed with raw egg, onion, cucumbar, oil and spices. It is called "Tatar beefsteak" and it is quite international. I have seen it in good restaurant in Frankfurt am Main so im sure that Germans knows "Tatar". Altough i didnt met it in Italy or France.

Edited by Mosquito
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 09:03

Originally posted by Cywr

IIRC, people can still handle raw meat, indeed it is a delicacy in some countries. It has to be super-duper fresh though.
I think cooking the meat was just the first step in the development of food processing, though i'm nt sure what pre-historic humans would make of Golden Wonder's Pot Noodles

Actually the first step in food processing would have been cutting the meat off bone or chopping the dead thing up.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 09:27
Hmm, thats basicly 'gathering' surely, processing is when you take those raw ingredients and do something to it.
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 16:04

technically speaking

input = dead animal

process = what is done to it; be it cut; skewer; or cook

output = food

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 00:57
Originally posted by Paul

I've eaten a bit of raw food myself.

My favourite food in the world is raw fish. You're only sopposed to make Sashimi from sea fist as fresh water fish carry parasites that can harm your liver. Raw fish tastes better but only for a few hours when it's really fresh.

Raw prawns are eaten all over SE Asia and also taste better for a the first few hours.

Japanese all have a raw beef Sashimi. They sear the outside of a steak for a few second on a ferocious heat so the outside blackens but the inside stays raw, this seals the juices in. they then cut it into wafer thin slices, so it's no problem to eat. Only trouble is, it tastes terrible.

Thais eat raw pork. They mince it so it's no trouble to chew and then cure it with heaps of fresh chilli to kill the germs. It's so good I've smuggled bags of it through customs back home.

the Japanese raw beef is called beef "tataki" basically anything that's seared on the outside but raw inside the japanese call tataki..e.g beef tataki and bonito tataki. next time you go to the beach and you get sunburnt, you're a tataki...  actually i think beef tataki is heaps nice...and only taste bad if you're eating it just like that....i pour heaps of ponzu, a citrus dressing, on it and it's heaps awesome...i can eat tonnes of that.

raw pork?

Edited by babyblue
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 01:04
Originally posted by reign

Actually, prehistoric human cook their meat because they discover that they are able to bite and chew their food much better, therefore, loosing their canine in the process because it is'nt necessary anymore.

As I said, there are countless speculations about this.
 Post Reply Post Reply